Weather Alerts

Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

TS Alberto now affecting NE Mexico and SE Texas.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Minnesota is flooding.

Last year, June 1 - 19, we had a total of .1" of rain. It was an extremely dry summer. This year we've had over 4½" of rain in June and we're supposed to get 2"-3" in the next couple of day. Dang. Rivers are high and rising. Farm fields are under water.

And I'm squeezing sponges in my basement. We've dealt with water in the basement for years. After my husband passed away six years ago, I've added gutters to the house and garage which had helped some. Unfortunately, I have uphill neighbors and water flows downhill to my house. Last year I had waterproofing added to the outside basement wall along with packing the soil and making sure the ground is sloped away from the house. That isn't enough. Time for a sump pump and whatever else can be done to stop this. I dearly want to be able to travel for weeks at a time without worrying about my basement flooding. So I have a company coming next week to give me an estimate on what they can do. I hate headaches like this! But I did schedule the appointment for when my Seattle sister is here so I have moral support which I dearly need.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

My sympathies. I have dealt endlessly with contractors in the last year, also alone, although my son lives with me and my daughter is an architect. But the buck end with me now, where it rarely did before. Moral support is a very good idea.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Feel free to send your rain my way. We get rain in the forecast and even see it approaching, only to watch it fall apart and, at best, get a little spittle.
101010 :towel:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Tornado warning on the other side of town, system heading our way, golfball sized hail. Not sure if we'll get a warning as well.

In related news, we are getting roof-top solar. 4.4 kWac system, 11 panels. As is, can't provide power in event of an outage, but if we later add a battery, we can ride out an outage. System sized to generate as much electricity as we consume annually, and we have enough room on the roof to add more when we get an EV. Plus, we have hail damage to our roof from a recent storm, so we should be eligible for a roof replacement at our insurance deductible (I was waiting to get solar after we replaced the roof).
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Non-stop thunder, but passing north of us. Barely clipping us with then rain, though it's finally starting to pick up.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:39 pm Tornado warning on the other side of town, system heading our way, golfball sized hail. Not sure if we'll get a warning as well.

In related news, we are getting roof-top solar. 4.4 kWac system, 11 panels. As is, can't provide power in event of an outage, but if we later add a battery, we can ride out an outage. System sized to generate as much electricity as we consume annually, and we have enough room on the roof to add more when we get an EV. Plus, we have hail damage to our roof from a recent storm, so we should be eligible for a roof replacement at our insurance deductible (I was waiting to get solar after we replaced the roof).
Congrats on the solar. We have it too, and an EV. We usually end up with power bills a few months out of the year due to the EV, but it’s not enough to justify upgrading the solar. When we get a second EV it might be a different story.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Weather Alerts

Post by zekeb »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:13 pm Minnesota is flooding.

Last year, June 1 - 19, we had a total of .1" of rain. It was an extremely dry summer. This year we've had over 4½" of rain in June and we're supposed to get 2"-3" in the next couple of day. Dang. Rivers are high and rising. Farm fields are under water.
Down here too, also. After three+ years of drought, this! The weather radar I watch shows way up into your area. I see what you are getting. I've been getting nailed by good strong downpours about once every five days with nuisance rains in-between. It's a thrill trying to keep my 3/4 acre lot mowed. The river has been over the flood stage since early May.
Largo al factotum.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Weather Alerts

Post by zekeb »

I'm looking out my window and see the drainage ditch nearly filled with water. It's back-filling from the flooding in town. Twelve more inches and the river breaks the record for all-time high. I estimate that twenty-four more inches and my back yard is under water.
Largo al factotum.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Yeah, I need to talk to my sister-in-law in the Forest City, Iowa area. Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa got slammed with rain. My niece's husband is a farmer in the Forest City area. As we say up here... Uff-da!

NOAA's map of flooded rivers - https://water.noaa.gov/

Orange depicts minor flooding, red is moderate flooding, and purple is major flooding.

Here's a current picture -
Attachments
20240622 Midwest River Flooding.jpg
20240622 Midwest River Flooding.jpg (349.5 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Today we were supposed to really swelter, but it doesn't seem so bad. It's about 90° with 65% humidity. Hot and sticky, but livable.
Katie Porter '28
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

We’ve (hopefully) hit our high for the day (so far) of 105° F / 40° C and I’m staying my butt in the house! This evening we’re having a pool party and we have a 16 x 30 foot covered pool deck w/celling fans so I can sit out there and still stay the hell out of the sun. When I was a youngun I could stay outside in any kind of weather, now that I’m old I prefer shade :oldlady:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Yesterday was a record tying 117. Today it is cloudy and much more civilized. Yesterday was like stepping out into an oven.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
zekeb

Weather Alerts

Post by zekeb »

20 hours without electricity. The river gauge stopped working when they shut off the power for my end of town. The river level was at its former (1953) all-time high when they pulled the power plug. I know the river rose at least 3 feet beyond that, judging by the water lever at a drainage ditch near my house. 18 more inches and my floor would have been covered with water.
Largo al factotum.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Wow, and is it receding now?
Katie Porter '28
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Yikes!
zekeb

Weather Alerts

Post by zekeb »

Officially the river crested at 22.2. The old record was 20.2, set in 1953. Now I know it's time to bail when the predicted crest is 24 feet or more. This was a flash flood, so there's little time to give notice. I was lucky. Most homes on the south side of town had the first floor several feet under water. The river is at 17 feet now and predicted to be at 15 feet tomorrow morning. Hopefully the nonstop heavy rains have come to an end.
Largo al factotum.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

zekeb wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:25 pm Officially the river crested at 22.2. The old record was 20.2, set in 1953. Now I know it's time to bail when the predicted crest is 24 feet or more. This was a flash flood, so there's little time to give notice. I was lucky. Most homes on the south side of town had the first floor several feet under water. The river is at 17 feet now and predicted to be at 15 feet tomorrow morning. Hopefully the nonstop heavy rains have come to an end.
;) ask Mexico to build a wall around your property :roll:
zekeb

Weather Alerts

Post by zekeb »

This is Trump country. He'll pay for it out of campaign funds. BTW, high heat warning for today. The skeeters will be breeding.
Largo al factotum.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This is in southern Minnesota - the same rain events which affected zekeb in northern Iowa -

Dave from down under

Weather Alerts

Post by Dave from down under »

We used to live on the Orara river, it would peak at 14m each year. Always careful in going down to the river afterwards as trees would be caught in upper branches.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Our overnight low has not even reached 90 degrees in the last three days. It's hawt.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Weather Alerts

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:35 pm Our overnight low has not even reached 90 degrees in the last three days. It's hawt.
Yeah, but it's a dry heat :lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “General Stuff”