The Stupid Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The Stupid Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Is it stupid if it works?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

The Stupid Thread

Post by tek »

Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

THis is the story of the MS Satoshi. When a Bunch of Libertarians and Cryptobros create a Libertarian City free of Goverment oppression and laws on a 30 year old Ocean Liner. And sail it to Panama. And prove themselves to be a bunch of clueless children. This whole thing is worth reading.

https://marine-digital.com/article_cryp ... ip_satoshi
The founders realized they knew nothing about cruises

The liner has been sailing since 1991 and over 30 years of work has seen a lot: it almost crashed into a bridge on the Brisbane River, survived an outbreak of swine flu, and in 2020 almost ended up in a landfill after a deal with the cruise company Cruise and Maritime Voyages fell through. But it has never served as a permanent home for two thousand crypto investors.

The founders never managed cruises, so they signed a contract with the management company Columbia Cruise Services and hired 40 employees, mostly Ukrainians: chefs, engineers, and service personnel. And the British Peter Harris was appointed captain.

"Having met Koch, I felt that I would not be enough for a long time. He had many ambitions, but he hated the rules and did not understand how shipping works. Thought it was as easy to fly a cruise ship as a yacht."
Peter Harris captain of "Satoshi"

To sail, the ship required seaworthiness certificates. Owners usually check them upon purchase to ensure they have at least a few months in stock, but not Oceanic Builders. The trio learned from the crew that Satoshi's certificates had not been valid for a long time. Before crossing the Atlantic Ocean, the crew had to send a ship to Gibraltar to carry out an inspection and renew the permits.

The ship entered the Atlantic waters on December 3. According to Harris, Elwartowski hoped that the Panamanian authorities would allow them to permanently anchor and register the liner as a floating residence, not a ship. For residences, the newspaper writes, there were fewer requirements.

The authorities refused the request, so a new problem arose - wastewater discharge. The founders could not dump them on the territory of Panama. This means that they would have to swim 20 km to international waters every 20 days.

At the same time, insurance companies were in no hurry to cooperate with Ocean Builders and refused without explanation, Romundt said. However, The Guardian put forward its assumptions:

Companies were afraid to insure something they had never worked with - namely, the floating crypto community.

They were wary of the cryptocurrency business in general.

And they were also afraid of the Americans, who are inclined to just go to law.

Romundt realized that the company suffered from what it ran from: despots, bureaucracy, and overregulation.

Maintaining the liner without tourists turned out to be too expensive

If the founders had six months left, they would have hired top-notch lawyers and found loopholes, but by mid-December, Satoshi had half-crossed the Atlantic and burned gallons of fuel.

The vessel would have to be serviced around the clock even at anchor, and the costs of this could cost the company $ 1 million a month. However, fuel alone was already spending $ 12,000 a day, the newspaper writes. Upon arrival, Koch considered installing a smaller engine, but Captain Harris said that it was impossible to cut a large hole in the hull underwater and not sink the ship.

There was no hope of getting insurance, vouchers were not sold, and the founders could not keep the liner without tourists for several months. They understood that no one would buy the liner during the pandemic, so they sold it to utilizers from India.
Spoiler: selling it for scrap to Indian Shipbreakers in India when you are moored off Panama was... problomatic.

Another link to the story from the Guardian which might hae more of the human angle.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-gua ... 4546063449

Video!

Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

Time for a real life South Park Episode.

Letthemfight.gif
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

GodDAMN some people are stupid.
Matt Binder @MattBinder wrote: this is the funniest thing happening on here right now:

people claiming the newly elected president of Mexico isn’t really Jewish because she thanked Jesus

(she thanked Jesús, her husband)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

Also, Jews believe Jesus was a Prophet, so it's not beyond the bounds of posibility for a Jew to do that, depending on the context.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Once more - granny is a latecomer in learning
Bison gores 83-year-old woman in Yellowstone National Park

Jordan Freiman
Updated Tue, June 4, 2024 at 5:37 PM GMT+2·2 min read

An 83-year-old woman was seriously injured when she was gored by a bison in Yellowstone National Park over the weekend, the park said Monday.

The park said the bison was "defending its space" when it gored the South Carolina woman near the Storm Point Trail, which is located at the north end of Yellowstone Lake. The bison "came within a few feet of the woman and lifted her about a foot off the ground with its horns," the park said.

Emergency staff first took the woman to the nearby Lake Medical Clinic for treatment before she was airlifted to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center, Yellowstone said. The park did not have any specific information about her injuries or her condition as of Monday night.

The woman was not immediately identified.

The park noted more people have been injured by bison at Yellowstone than by any other animal. The park also said it is visitors' responsibility to keep their distance from wild animals, including staying at least 25 yards away from large animals like bison and 100 yards away from bears and wolves.

"Bison are not aggressive animals but will defend their space when threatened. They are unpredictable and can run three times faster than humans," the park warned.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bison-gores- ... 09426.html
(original: CBS News)
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

Wowzers. The National Park Service news release on the incident.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/news/240603.htm
John Thomas8

The Stupid Thread

Post by John Thomas8 »

Don't pet the fluffy cows.
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

The guy with "suspended license" driving while on Zoom with judge.

Followup: the guy never had a driving license. What was revoked was his right to drive based on outstanding child support.

Steve Letho has the real details of this story:

sugar magnolia

The Stupid Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

I watched the actual court hearing for the guy with no license but couldn't find the original post on the board to update it.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

To me, always seemed stupid to suspend someones driver license for child support. If they can't drive to work, how do they earn money to pay?
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

neonzx wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:13 pm To me, always seemed stupid to suspend someones driver license for child support. If they can't drive to work, how do they earn money to pay?
:yeahthat:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

The Stupid Thread

Post by poplove »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:18 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:13 pm To me, always seemed stupid to suspend someones driver license for child support. If they can't drive to work, how do they earn money to pay?
Well, my first former son-in-law (a tweeker) has never had any intention to pay what he owes my stepdaughter for their now adult daughter, so he's been suspended for many years. He's never held a regular job, gets paid under the table for everything he does which is selling t-shirts at surf and biker events or coaching/training fight club participants at the gym. He's been known to deal drugs, too. He rides his bike everywhere in Huntington Beach, drives only when necessary and rarely gets caught.
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

poplove wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:46 pm
Well, my first former son-in-law (a tweeker) has never had any intention to pay what he owes my stepdaughter for their now adult daughter, so he's been suspended for many years. He's never held a regular job, gets paid under the table for everything he does which is selling t-shirts at surf and biker events or coaching/training fight club participants at the gym. He's been known to deal drugs, too. He rides his bike everywhere in Huntington Beach, drives only when necessary and rarely gets caught.
Hmm. But do you think the driver license suspension has been helpful in getting him to pay what he owes? Does it seem like a reasonable tool?
poplove

The Stupid Thread

Post by poplove »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:48 pm

Hmm. But do you think the driver license suspension has been helpful in getting him to pay what he owes? Does it seem like a reasonable tool?
For him, no, because he knows how to cheat the system. However, I think it's a reasonable tool for most deadbeat parents considering my second ex-son-in-law (same stepdaughter) was forced to pay up after refusing to do so until he was court ordered and threatened with losing his license.
poplove

The Stupid Thread

Post by poplove »

poplove wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:47 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:48 pm

For him, no, because he knows how to cheat the system. However, I think it's a reasonable tool for most deadbeat parents considering my second ex-son-in-law (same stepdaughter) was forced to pay up after refusing to do so until he was court ordered and threatened with losing his license.
I will add that it takes a lot of missed payments to get to the point of losing your license and if you make a reasonable effort to make regular payments to get caught up then you shouldn't have a problem.
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

Fair enough, that makes sense.
MN-Skeptic

The Stupid Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I was trying to remember what I had read about states canceling driver's licenses as an incentive to make the person pay fines or whatever, and did a quick Google search. I found this article from 2019 discussing how canceling driver's licenses disproportionately harms the poor -

Legislation Would End Debt-Based Driver’s License Suspensions in Minnesota
Minnesota is one of more than 40 states across the country that suspends people’s driver’s licenses for outstanding tickets and fees, a practice that disproportionately harms low-income people. But the Minnesota Legislature may act to end this wealth-based penalty through legislation introduced in both chambers. If it becomes law, more than 50,000 Minnesotans will have their licenses restored.

The bill would repeal the provision of Minnesota law that allows for a person’s driver’s license to be suspended if they fail to pay a fine for a traffic violation or fail to appear in court in response to a ticket. These types of suspensions create a two-tiered system of justice where rich and poor people with otherwise identical records receive different punishments solely because of their ability to pay.

And that’s punitive public policy that can have long-term consequences for those who can’t afford to pay, while wasting taxpayer dollars.

Stripping low-income people of their driver’s license makes it more difficult for them to earn a living and pay off their fines and fees. Once their license is suspended, they can no longer lawfully drive to and from work, school, job interviews, medical appointments, the grocery store, or religious services. Many report that losing their license leads to losing their jobs.

Stripping someone of a driver’s license for unpaid fees and tickets wastes public resources, too. When police, motor vehicle administration, and the courts have to spend time enforcing and processing licenses suspensions, they’re working to collect debt, not advance public safety.

For example, the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles projected it will fund the equivalent of four full-time workers to process 16,800 suspensions as well as need five hearing officers “to hold hearings and issue findings,” according to a 2018 study by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. Arkansas reported spending $20,000 on postage and employing four workers in 2017 to process 40,000 of these suspensions.
More at the link above.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

The Stupid Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Professional licenses can also be cancelled. THAT gets people’s attention.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
noblepa

The Stupid Thread

Post by noblepa »

poplove wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:47 pm For him, no, because he knows how to cheat the system. However, I think it's a reasonable tool for most deadbeat parents considering my second ex-son-in-law (same stepdaughter) was forced to pay up after refusing to do so until he was court ordered and threatened with losing his license.

I am no expert, but I don't believe that there are many people who lose their license because they are unable to pay child support. The ones who lose their licenses are those who refuse to pay.

The threat of losing your license is usually enough to get the deadbeats to pay up.

I suspect that, if someone can prove to a judge that they are trying to pay but are unable to do so, most judges would try to find some other way to handle the situation, rather than revoking their license.
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

noblepa wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:40 pm
poplove wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:47 pm For him, no, because he knows how to cheat the system. However, I think it's a reasonable tool for most deadbeat parents considering my second ex-son-in-law (same stepdaughter) was forced to pay up after refusing to do so until he was court ordered and threatened with losing his license.

I am no expert, but I don't believe that there are many people who lose their license because they are unable to pay child support. The ones who lose their licenses are those who refuse to pay.

The threat of losing your license is usually enough to get the deadbeats to pay up.

I suspect that, if someone can prove to a judge that they are trying to pay but are unable to do so, most judges would try to find some other way to handle the situation, rather than revoking their license.
More of a punishment, that makes sense. Found this for AZ:
The transmittal from the judge can restrict the driving privileges to specific locations, such as work and school if the court also finds that the work and school endeavors are likely to enable the parent to pay the unpaid child support.
roadscholar

The Stupid Thread

Post by roadscholar »

That’s an illustration of the ad misericordiam fallacy: “You shouldn’t punish them the same way you’d punish those who are better off, because that would make their lives even worse than they are now.”
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
RTH10260

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

The guy without a license shows up in Judge Simpson court, with attorney. Judge handles the case very in his favour.

But at the end the Judge Simpson has him put in handcuffs.

The guy had an outstanding warrant for not handling a ticket, also drivinh w/o license, in another court :blackeye:

ps. from the tv interview it seems to me that the guy is not the brightest among us.

Suranis

The Stupid Thread

Post by Suranis »

He showed up to Court in a Tee Shirt that said "Trust me" on the Front and then has a hand with Crossed fingers in the back. I would guess that means he is enjoying the fame and notoriety. But come on, dude.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”