Hijack This Thread

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:12 pm Incredible queue on Mount Everest.
:snippity:
this article has some further pictures of climbers queuing up at the peak.
Terrifying Footage of Everest Cornice Accident
Climbers on Everest summit ridge, a gap on it, a clmiber hangs from the fixed rope and tried to crawl up back to the ridge
A climber desperatedly tries to lift himself back to safety after falling when an overburdened cornice broke.

May 23, 2024
Angela Benavides Everest

As Everest climbers return to a wifi connection in Base Camp, they post pictures of their summits — and of crowds, chaos, scary moments, and, unfortunately, death.

IFMGA guide Vinayak Malla summited Everest at 6 am on the morning of May 21, the busiest summit day, with Elite Exped clients. On their way back, they videoed how the snow cornice couldn’t stand the weight of hundreds of climbers and gave in, dragging a number of people into the void.

The video doesn’t show the actual collapse but just its lead-up and aftermath. Still, the footage is mind-blowing for its clarity and for depicting the mad sight of an overcrowded summit ridge. Dozens of climbers inch across a narrow snow arete, which can’t bear the weight and eventually crumbles.

“The Everest summit ridge felt different than my previous experiences on the mountain,” Malla said. “There was soft snow, many cornices, and rocky sections covered in snow. Even the weather station was half buried in snow.”
Climbers jam the narrow snow ridge to step on the summit of Everest

Dozens of climbers shuffle along, meters from the summit of Everest. Video: Vanayak Malla

Sudden disaster

“After summiting, we crossed the Hillary Step. Traffic was moving slowly. Then suddenly, a cornice collapsed a few meters ahead of us,” Malla recalled. He and his clients were on another section of that cornice, which happened not to give way.

Malla’s second video shows the broken cornice section and climbers clinging to the fixed ropes and desperately trying to lift themselves back to safe ground.
As the cornice collapsed, four climbers nearly perished yet were clipped onto the rope and self-rescued,” Malla wrote. “Sadly, two climbers are still missing.” Then Malla recounts how he saved the situation – and perhaps many lives.

We tried to traverse but it was impossible due to the traffic on the fixed line. Many climbers were stuck in traffic and oxygen was running low. I was able to start breaking a new route for the descending traffic to begin moving slowly once again.
The situation resembles other mountain accidents where a broken rope leaves climbers trapped behind. Something similar occurred on Broad Peak in 2021, when the fixed rope on a ridge broke, stranding Russian climber Nastya Runova and, a little later, Korean Kim HongBin. Above them, over a dozen climbers waited, not skilled enough to progress across that section without ropes. Several suffered from frostbite. Runova was rescued, but Kim died.

However, the numbers on Everest’s summit ridge on May 21 were larger than on any other mountain.

https://explorersweb.com/terrifying-foo ... -accident/
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

UK
Stolen Ferrari of F1 Legend Gerhard Berger Found After 28 Years

Shawn Henry
Sat, May 25, 2024 at 9:30 PM GMT+2·2 min read

The Metropolitan Police have successfully recovered a Ferrari stolen from former Formula One driver Gerhard Berger nearly three decades ago. The red Ferrari F512M, a victim of theft during the San Marino Grand Prix in Imola, Italy, in April 1995, was identified during a transaction involving a US buyer and a UK broker.

Upon notification from Ferrari, who had conducted checks on the car being sold, the Metropolitan Police's Organised Vehicle Crime Unit sprang into action. Their investigation revealed that the stolen vehicle had been transported to Japan shortly after its theft and remained there until it was brought to the UK in late 2023. Police intervention thwarted an attempt to export the car, ensuring its recovery.

The Ferrari F512M, valued close to £350,000, had eluded authorities for over 28 years. The recovery operation, led by Pc Mike Pilbeam, spanned just four days but required extensive international collaboration. Authorities around the globe, including the National Crime Agency, Ferrari, and international car dealerships, contributed to tracing the vehicle's intricate history and preventing its departure from the UK.

While this particular Ferrari has been secured, the Metropolitan Police reported that the second car stolen in the 1995 incident remains missing, and no arrests have been made in connection with the recovery. The successful retrieval of Berger's Ferrari underscores the effectiveness of cross-border law enforcement cooperation and highlights the enduring value and allure of classic sports cars.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/stolen-ferr ... 00488.html
(original: Backfire News)
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Neither do I, pumpkin.
i-have-no-words-v0-hmdqszz8nv2d1.jpeg
i-have-no-words-v0-hmdqszz8nv2d1.jpeg (255.59 KiB) Viewed 851 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:12 pm Incredible queue on Mount Everest.
https: //www.instagram.com/reel/C7Op8vDpoL3/
And it's not even 5 o'clock yet. Wait until the evening commute.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Flatpoint High wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:04 am Neither do I, pumpkin.
i-have-no-words-v0-hmdqszz8nv2d1.jpeg
That pretty much covers everything.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

The challenge is on!

sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

I can actually do the nunchuku part of that, but the pizza dough would be a sloppy mess on the floor in about 2 seconds. I dated the martial arts instructor much longer than I did the pizza maker.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Don’t know yet if it was intentional, but there are those that believe the fixed lines that enable unqualified climbers to summit are to blame for the congestion on the peak. Looks like someone cut the fixed line.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

The guy who made that video is now under investigation after multiple reports of no issues with the ropes.
https://explorersweb.com/everest-dirty- ... stigation/
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

Woah, how odd!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Proving once again if people are involved, there's drahmah.

Next up on "Wives of Everest" as Nihindu screams "real men don't need O2 when they ascend."
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:53 pm Woah, how odd!
I went and looked the story up because I rarely trust anyone who claims they are "saving the world" and everyone is against them sort of scenario. Disrupted the industry! Extremely successful! I'm the savior! The entire community calls on me in a crisis!

Too much I and me, and way too many !!!!s.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

There does seem to be a lot of that going around.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Revealed: the rural Californians who can’t sell their businesses – because LA is their landlord
Los Angeles has long owned large swathes of the Owens valley. An investigation reveals how the city has tightened its grip

Katie Licari in the Owens Valley
Wed 29 May 2024 13.00 CEST

• This article is reported by AfroLA and co-published by AfroLA, Guardian US and the Mammoth Sheet. It’s the first of several stories examining the impact of Los Angeles’s extensive landownership in the Owens Valley.

A red horse statue perched on a 12ft pole greets drivers coming to the town of Bishop from the south. It’s one of the first landmarks here, part of Mike Allen’s corrugated metal feed store – a local institution that sells camping gear, livestock feed and moving equipment in this expansive region of inland California.

But Allen desperately wants to sell it so he can retire.

“I own the building, the inventory, and the asphalt for the parking lot,” Allen said. “But I don’t own the land under it.”

And so Allen can’t get rid of it.

The land under Allen’s store belongs to an owner 300 miles away: the city of Los Angeles, specifically its department of water and power (DWP).

LA has owned large swathes of the Owens valley, where Bishop is located, for more than a century. The city first swooped in in the early 1900s, at the dawn of California’s water wars. As the metropolis grew at breakneck speed, its leaders searched for ways to sustain that population, and when they entered the Owens valley, they found what LA lacked: plenty of water.

Over the next decades, LA agents secretly, and aggressively, worked to buy up Owens valley land and take ownership of the water rights that came with those parcels. By 1933, DWP had gobbled up the large majority of all properties in the towns of Bishop, Big Pine, Independence and Lone Pine.

Today, DWP owns 90% of privately available land in Inyo county, which encompasses the Owens valley, and 30% of all the land in neighboring Mono county. Aqueducts transporting water from both counties provided 395,000 acre-feet of water to LA last year – about 73% of the city’s water supply.

Stories of LA’s brazen land grab in the Owens valley have been told for decades – it was loosely depicted in the 1974 film Chinatown. And the fierce legal battles that have ensued, including over the environmental impact, have made regional headlines for years.

But residents, business owners, and some municipal leaders in this rural region say LA’s landownership in the valley has taken on a new, and crippling, dimension in recent years.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... -ownership
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

The lunch menu today is strawberries over yogurt, strawberries in yogurt, and strawberries with yogurt. Do you need more time to decide?
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bill_g wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:27 pm The lunch menu today is strawberries over yogurt, strawberries in yogurt, and strawberries with yogurt. Do you need more time to decide?
What?! No yogurt with strawberries! Disgraceful!
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:28 pm
bill_g wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:27 pm The lunch menu today is strawberries over yogurt, strawberries in yogurt, and strawberries with yogurt. Do you need more time to decide?
What?! No yogurt with strawberries! Disgraceful!
I can assure you it is anything but. The strawberries are fresh as of a half hour ago, and the yogurt is Nancy's (made in Eugene/Springsatucky OR from pastured cattle, not grain fed).

Off season I pour a single serve unsweetened applesauce over my yogurt. Mrs thought it was awful. I'm still here. I win.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Ashley Schapitl
@AshleySchapitl

NEWS: Treasury and the IRS are announcing today that Direct File is here to stay.

Direct File will be a permanent, free option to save taxpayers ⏰ and 💵.

We are inviting all 50 states and D.C. to join Direct File in 2025.

All thanks to @POTUS Inflation Reduction Act. 👏
This will eat into TurboTax's profits. My tax return isn't the simplest, so I'll continue to use it, but I'm curious as to how complex your return can be to use Direct File. For simple wage earners using the standard deduction, Direct File seems like it would make a lot of sense.
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Delays, denials, debt and the growing privatization of Medicare
Medicare Advantage enrollees report treatment denials and delays in payment, leading to harmful outcomes in healthcare

Michael Sainato
Mon 3 Jun 2024 13.00 CEST

Jenn Coffey was sick, on several medications, and in and out of the hospital around 2016 when she made a decision that she has come to regret.

Having fought off breast cancer, the former emergency medical technician faced numerous complications, and was diagnosed with two rare diseases: complex regional pain syndrome and small fiber neuropathy.

“I was terrified,” she said. “I went into the hospital as a fully functional EMT and came out in a wheelchair, to go on disability income, and I lost everything. I lost my house, I lost everything.”

Coffey, 52, had been selling her belongings and raising money on GoFundMe to cover her medical care. To make things cheaper, she shifted her disability plan from traditional Medicare – a government-run health insurance program for older and disabled people – to Medicare Advantage, a program under which private health insurers contract with the Medicare program to provide health benefits.

Traditional Medicare is accepted at practically every doctor’s office and hospital in the US. But it can be expensive. Most Americans will pay $679 a month just for hospital and medical coverage, with the potential for more costs if they get sick.

With monthly premiums of $18.50 per month on average, Medicare Advantage often looks like a frugal alternative. However, private insurers keep premiums low by limiting providers and using byzantine cost containment tools such as prior authorization.

For Coffey, switching proved more expensive, as her Medicare Advantage provider, UnitedHealthcare, denied requests to cover treatments, medications and infusions she required.

Coffey used to be a Republican state representative in New Hampshire. “I changed a lot over these years,” she said. “I used to think we could fix healthcare.”

Her experience with Medicare Advantage is not unusual. Private insurers now cover roughly half of the nation’s 68 million Medicare beneficiaries. Their dominance of this space has grown rapidly over the past two decades – at the expense of patient care, according to healthcare activists and patients, as corporations often deny medical care directed by doctors.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... vatization
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Jacobs Entertainment sells Reno’s oldest house for $1
The sale of the oldest house to a Reno couple is contingent on the new owners relocating and preserving the structure.

JASON HIDALGO Reno Gazette Journal
04/16/2024

Reno’s oldest house has new owners.

Jacobs Entertainment confirmed that it has sold the home at 347 West St. in downtown Reno for $1, contingent on it being relocated and preserved.

Logan and Angelina Needham bought the home after “a thorough vetting process,” according to Jacobs Entertainment. The Reno couple was picked from three candidates who submitted bids.

“It’s important to preserve Reno’s historic homes as we continue to revitalize downtown,” said CEO Jeff Jacobs. “We are happy to see the West Street home go to the Needhams. This is an example of progress and preservation happening hand-in-hand.”

A big reason why the couple chosen was the size of their available plot of land and its proximity to the house’s current location.

The home will be relocated later this year, according to Jacobs.

First built in the 1800s, the property known as the Benham-Belz house is most likely the oldest house in Reno, according to local historian Alicia Barber of Reno Historical.

“We are literally talking about Reno’s original townsite,” Barber told the Reno Gazette Journal in 2022. “There’s every reason to believe this would have been one of the first houses to be built in Reno."

https://eu.rgj.com/story/news/money/bus ... 341297007/
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

“The graphic contains 12 black dots. But you never see all of them at the same time.”
IMG_8083.jpeg
IMG_8083.jpeg (120.94 KiB) Viewed 232 times
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

I can get three distinct dots horizontally, but only two vertically.
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

I have 10 (TEN!) phone calls I need to make and yet here I am. Phone calls are my most hated chore. And I logically know when I do them they'll be over in like 15 minutes..and yet...
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “General Stuff”