General Law and Lawsuits

sugar magnolia

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by sugar magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:45 am Yabbut, how much does it cost to have your attorney say, “LOL, No.”?
How much does it cost vs how much is it worth are 2 different things.
noblepa

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by noblepa »

Even if the LAPD Foundation or the LAPD itself had some sort of copyright or trademark on the acronym, wouldn't they run into a problem trying to selectively enforce their rights?

Half the cop shows on TV are set in Los Angeles. The actors routinely pound on doors, shouting "Open up. LAPD". Does the foundation intend to sue the producers of those shows over it? Such use in a fictional TV show can hardly be considered "fair use".
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:45 am Yabbut, how much does it cost to have your attorney say, “LOL, No.”?
Priceless.
101010 :towel:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Ben-Prime »

How's the line go? "You're not paying me for the time it took me to do the work. You're paying me for the time it took me to learn how to do the work well."
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
chancery
Verified:

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by chancery »

In 1887 James Ruskin famously denounced a painting, "Nocturne in Black and Gold—The Falling Rocket," which had been exhibited by James McNeill Whistler. Ruskin wrote that he "never expected to hear a coxcomb ask two hundred guineas for flinging a pot of paint in the public’s face."

Whistler sued Ruskin for libel. After Whistler testified that he had completed the painting in two days, Ruskin's lawyer demanded “Oh, two days! The labour of two days, then, is that for which you ask two hundred guineas?”

Whistler replied: “No;—I ask it for the knowledge of a lifetime.”

"Nocturne in Black and Gold—The Falling Rocket" is on display at the Detroit Institute of Arts. https://dia.org/collection/nocturne-bla ... cket-64931
bob

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by bob »

Too also: The second letter (which, admittedly, is more lawyerly) took time to write.
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Foggy »

And more importantly, he took the time to understand the case before the "LOL, no" email, and he probably spent thousands of hours becoming an IP attorney before he sent it, so the "LOL, no" was based on 1) diligent examination of the facts (with his client) and 2) extreme competence in the relevant law. That isn't easily visible, but it's the background information.

Considering those two factors, together with the ultimate smackdown of the thin-skinned bullies, that simple "LOL, no" email is worth thousands of dollars in attorney's fees. You gotta be a hella lawyer with an airtight case to send something like that, and that's our MikeDunford in action.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
bob

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:30 pm Considering those two factors, together with the ultimate smackdown of the thin-skinned bullies, that simple "LOL, no" email is worth thousands of dollars in attorney's fees. You gotta be a hella lawyer with an airtight case to send something like that, and that's our MikeDunford in action.
Yes, and: Mike D. is an associate; he didn't come up and execute this all by himself. The firm undoubtedly internally discussed the strength of the claim and how to respond. Our Mike may have been the vanguard, but certainly was not alone.
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by Maybenaut »

I was JOKING. Jeez.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

As an ex-military guy I would have expected Mikes answer to be NUTS! ;)
W. Kevin Vicklund

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:18 pm As an ex-military guy I would have expected Mikes answer to be NUTS! ;)
I admit, I was saddened by the missed opportunity.
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Families of Uvalde shooting victims sue Activision and Meta

Anthony Ha
Updated Mon, May 27, 2024 at 12:44 AM GMT+2·

The families of victims of the shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas are suing Activision and Meta, as well as gun manufacturer Daniel Defense.

The families bringing the lawsuits are represented by attorney Josh Koskoff, who previously won a settlement from Remington for the families of Sandy Hook shooting victims. The suit against the technology companies claims, "Over the last 15 years, two of America’s largest technology companies ... have collaborated with the firearms industry in a scheme that makes the Joe Camel campaign look laughably harmless, even quaint."

Specifically, the suit points to Activision's popular "Call of Duty" video game franchise, which it describes as a "cunning form of marketing [that] has helped cultivate a new, youthful consumer base for the AR-15 assault rifle," and to Instagram, the photo app owned by Meta, which the suit claims "knowingly promulgates flimsy, easily circumvented rules that ostensibly prohibit firearm advertising; in fact, these rules function as a playbook for the gun industry."

In a statement, Activision expressed its "deepest sympathies to the families and communities who remain impacted by this senseless act of violence," but said, "Academic and scientific research continues to show that there is no causal link between video games and gun violence."

We've also reached out to Meta for additional comment.

In the lawsuit's telling, the Uvalde shooter was a "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare" player, and he was also targeted by Daniel Defense's advertising on Instagram. (Meta bans gun sales on its platforms, but The Washington Post previously reported that the company gives gun sellers 10 strikes before booting them.)

"Defendants are chewing up alienated teenage boys and spitting out mass shooters," the lawsuit argues.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/families-uva ... 25960.html
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Matthew Baker acquitted in 2016 quadruple murder case in Henry County

By Christopher King and FOX 5 Atlanta Digital Team
Updated May 20, 2024 10:17pm EDT

HENRY COUNTY, Ga. - The second man accused in the shooting deaths of four people after a bonfire in Henry County in 2016 was found not guilty on Monday.

Matthew Baker, now 26, was charged with malice murder and 29 other charges. He and Jacob Kosky were accused of shooting and killing 18-year-old Matthew Hicks, 29-year-old Keith Gibson, 20-year-old Sophia Bullard and 20-year-old Destiny Olinger in October 2016.

According to investigators, Kosky and Baker went to a house party where the victims were. Police say the defendants left but came back with guns. Then the police say Kosky and Baker opened fire. Hicks, Gibson and Bullard died inside the home. Olinger died later at the hospital.

Someone who didn’t believe the charges against Baker from the start was his mother, Angie Lanier.

"They’ve been rough, they’ve been really rough," said Lanier. "He’s just been keeping his faith."

"He said, ‘I didn’t do anything. I didn’t kill anybody. I’m innocent,’" she added.

Laneir said prosecutors offered him a plea deal that would have kept him behind bars for decades. "He said they’re trying to take my whole entire life away from me where I’ll never have kids or anything," Lanier said.

Kosky eventually confessed and said Baker was innocent. But Baker remained behind bars. "He was on 23-hour lockdown. He only got to come out for an hour," Lanier said.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/matthe ... nry-county
RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

Spring Hill company sues after $1 million worth of hemp seized

WKRN News 2
24 May 2024

Spring Hill company sues after $1 million worth of hemp seized

RTH10260

General Law and Lawsuits

Post by RTH10260 »

a couple of months ago
FDA settles lawsuit over ivermectin content that doctors claimed harmed their practice

By Jen Christensen, CNN
Updated 6:53 PM EDT, Wed March 27, 2024

Hear Fauci respond to conservative candidates’ anti-science messages
The FDA said in an email to CNN on Wednesday that it “has chosen to resolve this lawsuit rather than continuing to litigate over statements that are between two and nearly four years old.”

The agency added that it has “not admitted any violation of law or any wrongdoing, disagrees with the plaintiffs’ allegation that the agency exceeded its authority in issuing the statements challenged in the lawsuit, and stands by its authority to communicate with the public regarding the products it regulates.

“FDA has not changed its position that currently available clinical trial data do not demonstrate that ivermectin is effective against COVID-19. The agency has not authorized or approved ivermectin for use in preventing or treating COVID-19.”

The lawsuit was filed in June 2022 by Drs. Rober Apter, Mary Talley Bowden and Paul Marik against the FDA, the US Department of Health and Human Services and their leaders. It claimed that the agencies were interfering with their ability to practice medicine by overstepping their authority and violating the Administrative Procedure Act.

The lawsuit says the doctors “have been pressured, unable to prescribe medication, and threatened with or subjected to professional discipline.”

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/health/f ... index.html

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”