Republicans behaving badly

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

How about a little Stolen Valor?

Military documents contradict Republican Rep. Troy Nehls' military record claims
During his time in office and amid his inaugural 2020 run for Texas' 22nd District congressional seat, Republican Rep. Troy Nehls has repeatedly claimed to be the recipient of two Bronze Star medals and a Combat Infantryman Badge from his time in the U.S. Army serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

There is no question that Nehls served overseas, engaged in combat, and was awarded a Bronze Star for his duties there. But military documents obtained by CBS News after a months-long investigation and a review of his service record by the U.S. Army at the Pentagon show Nehls received one – not two – Bronze Star medals. And his Combat Infantryman Badge from Afghanistan was revoked from his service record in 2023 because Nehls served as a civil affairs officer, not as an infantryman or Special Forces soldier.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

I suppose you can claim that you received it when, in fact, you did receive it. It's just more convenient to omit that you had to give it back,
Largo al factotum.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Good old lies by omission. Ah, always good to see the classics.
Hic sunt dracones
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I believe the US Army dropped the requirement that you must have a combat arms MOS and been engaged in combat to get the CIB. You are still required to have been engaged in actual combat, though.
Largo al factotum.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

zekeb wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:33 am I believe the US Army dropped the requirement that you must have a combat arms MOS and been engaged in combat to get the CIB. You are still required to have been engaged in actual combat, though.
I thought they had simply created a distinct Combat Medical Badge and Combat Action Badge for non-infantry-or-SF forces that were in direct combat.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I looked at the photo of him in uniform. The oak leaf cluster (denoting a second award) is clearly visible. What an odd thing to claim to have. Knowing the Army awards system as I do, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he honestly believed he had been awarded a second medal. I’ve done a number of Board for Correction of Military Records cases involving mistakes like that - command believes the medal was approved and goes through a presentation ceremony and dude doesn’t find out until it’s missing from his DD-214 at separation that it had been disapproved or downgraded by a higher authority.

This is a nothing-berder IMO. It’s not like he claimed to have a Silver Star and the most he ever got was the Good Conduct Medal, or whatever.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, it makes no sense. A Bronze Star is a hell of a tribute to the courage and action of the owner. Why would anyone need to claim a second one (which it seems highly improbable that anyone could earn two)? If he wasn't in combat, how the heck did he get a Bronze Star?

Oh, Wikipedia says it's "for either heroic achievement, heroic service, meritorious achievement, or meritorious service in a combat zone." If it involves combat, you get the "V" device on it - V for valor.

This dude got no valor.
She was drinking some dreadful vegetable smoothie
concoction that looked like minced caterpillars.
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

Largo al factotum.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:24 am Yeah, it makes no sense. A Bronze Star is a hell of a tribute to the courage and action of the owner. Why would anyone need to claim a second one (which it seems highly improbable that anyone could earn two)? If he wasn't in combat, how the heck did he get a Bronze Star?

Oh, Wikipedia says it's "for either heroic achievement, heroic service, meritorious achievement, or meritorious service in a combat zone." If it involves combat, you get the "V" device on it - V for valor.

This dude got no valor.
Each service has its own standard, but yeah.

ETA: Remember when ADM Boorda, the Chief of Naval Operations committed suicide when he was alleged to have worn a “V” device in two of his medals - the Commendation Medal and the Achievement Medal? It stemmed from a Newsweek investigation. Many of us on active duty at the time thought the Newsweek piece was a hit job; Boorda sided with the Clinton Administration over Tailhook and lots of folks didn’t like that.

I thought they made way, way too much out of the “V” thing - he had a defensible reason for thinking he was entitled to include them, and stopped including them when he got a definitive answer. That was *a year* before the Newsweek investigation even began. But when it was apparent that the issue wasn’t going to go away, and they were going to drag his ass through the mud, he committed suicide.

It was tragic. Boorda, a high-school drop-out, was the first prior enlisted member of any service ever to rise to the highest position in that service. He placed a great deal of emphasis on programs intended to assist enlisted members in accomplishing whatever goals they had set for themselves. As a prior enlisted member myself (I was a Lieutenant in the Coast Guard at the time of his suicide), I had a great deal of respect for Boorda - what he had accomplished and what he was trying to do as CNO.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:21 pm
I thought they made way, way too much out of the “V” thing - he had a defensible reason for thinking he was entitled to include them, and stopped including them when he got a definitive answer.
So he did the honorable thing, and still they didn't let it go.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I forget if I read it online of heard it on teevee, so don't quote me, but I think I heard Noem is going to Face the Nation tomorrow morning. :popcorn:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Wants PR for her waste of trees.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Kendra wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:48 pm I forget if I read it online of heard it on teevee, so don't quote me, but I think I heard Noem is going to Face the Nation tomorrow morning. :popcorn:
I thought she was going to moon the nation.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:19 pm Wants PR for her waste of trees.
:biggrin: There's a list on Goodreads called Trees Died for This? I voted it on to it. She's not getting the best ratings on that site, I think the book comes out on 5/7 and the Amazon reviews should be fun :biggrin:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

She didn't kill just Cricket. She killed a goat. And somewhere she mentions putting down three horses in two weeks, which seems off. A few horse owners agreed.

She didn't just kill them. She had to express her hatred.
“I hated that dog,” Noem writes, adding that Cricket had proved herself “untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with” and “less than worthless … as a hunting dog”.
Her family, she writes, also owned a male goat that was “nasty and mean”, because it had not been castrated. Furthermore, the goat smelled “disgusting, musky, rancid” and “loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down and ruining their clothes.

Noem decided to kill the unnamed goat the same way she had just killed Cricket the dog. But though she “dragged him to a gravel pit”, the goat jumped as she shot and therefore survived the wound. Noem says she went back to her truck, retrieved another shell, then “hurried back to the gravel pit and put him down”.
She tried to claim this is what farmers do. I have enough farm in me to know billy goats smell. Not exactly a secret to farmers with goats. They also like to butt kids. Again, not a secret. And kids on farms are used to having clothes get torn up and dirty. Has this woman ever been to a farm? Mucked out stalls? Fed pigs? Been around a henhouse? I think enough people have commented on bird dog training to say you don't screw up training and then kill the pupil.

But i think what's most disturbing is that she "hates" the animal or describes it as "nasty and mean." Those are her issues, not the animal's.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

We had a goat growing up. Dumbest animal I've ever been around, and ya it loved to butt things with it's head but it was fine for kids to be around. It was pretty affectionate too.
Hic sunt dracones
zekeb

Post by zekeb »

All her goat needed was a snip job in the loins.
Largo al factotum.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

zekeb wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:10 pm All her goat needed was a snip job in the loins.
Yeah, you'd think someone so expert on farming and rural life would know that.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

One of Noem’s claims is that she met Kim Jong Un and implied she stared him down. Now it’s being said that that was an error in the book. The problem with that… Noem recited the audiobook herself!
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:49 pm One of Noem’s claims is that she met Kim Jong Un and implied she stared him down. Now it’s being said that that was an error in the book. The problem with that… Noem recited the audiobook herself!
And said she knew about "little tyrants" from her time teaching Sunday School for little kids. :brickwallsmall: Not sure I'd want my kids to have a Sunday School teacher who thinks kids are little tyrants.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Rolodex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:56 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:49 pm One of Noem’s claims is that she met Kim Jong Un and implied she stared him down. Now it’s being said that that was an error in the book. The problem with that… Noem recited the audiobook herself!
And said she knew about "little tyrants" from her time teaching Sunday School for little kids. :brickwallsmall: Not sure I'd want my kids to have a Sunday School teacher who thinks kids are little tyrants.
Especially if, given the factual examples we have of how she treats living beings she believes to be untrainable, she decides one of the little tyrants is ungovernable.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Well, exactly. I don't love being in a room full of small kids, which is why I never taught Sunday School. I always said if I go to Hell after I die, I will be stuck for eternity in a classroom of kindergartners.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Rolodex wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:06 pm Well, exactly. I don't love being in a room full of small kids, which is why I never taught Sunday School. I always said if I go to Hell after I die, I will be stuck for eternity in a classroom of kindergartners.
My Dante's Inferno is being stuck working a Taco Bell drive thru in a suburb with a constant dinner rush...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I don't think Center Street is particularly happy with Noem. They issued the following statement on Twitter -
At the request of Governor Noem, we are removing a passage regarding Kim Jong Un from her book No Going Back, upon reprint of the print edition and as soon as technically possible on the audio and ebook editions. Further questions about the passage should be referred to the author.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

With regard to Sunday school teaching, Kristi Noem probably misunderstood then diligently implemented Matthew 19:14 (tone of voice: action hero growl): Jesus said: "Suffer, little children!"

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”