Arizona behaving badly and otherwise

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AZ is the political bellwether of the country.

Must give more $$ to the none-MAGA candidates who live there!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:bunny:
Brahm Resnik @brahmresnik wrote: BREAKING With 16th vote, Arizona Senate will pass repeal of state's 1864 near-total abortion ban. Bill will be sent to
@GovernorHobbs
for signing. Hobbs' spox has told me signing won't happen today. #HB2677
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It is done.

Arizona Senate votes to repeal 1864 abortion ban

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canad ... press.coop
Arizona's Senate has voted to repeal a 1864 law banning abortion, the last major push in the Democrat-led effort to erase the law from state books.

Two Republicans joined Senate Democrats to support the repeal bill, which narrowly passed the House last week.

Governor Katie Hobbs, a Democrat, hailed the result and is due to formalise the removal of the law.

The pre-statehood law bars abortion from the moment of conception, with no exceptions for rape or incest.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Volkonski wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:14 pm It is done.

Arizona Senate votes to repeal 1864 abortion ban
Arizona's Senate has voted to repeal a 1864 law banning abortion, the last major push in the Democrat-led effort to erase the law from state books.
So the newer law will be in effect which was ... 15 weeks? I can't remember now.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Yah, 15 weeks. But we may blow that up in the upcoming election as well.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:08 pm Yah, 15 weeks. But we may blow that up in the upcoming election as well.
Don't get me wrong, I hope you do, but I am a big fan of incremental progress counting, so I'm willing to chalk this up as one win by itself and hope y'all are taking victory laps.

johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:02 am
raison de arizona wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:08 pm Yah, 15 weeks. But we may blow that up in the upcoming election as well.
Don't get me wrong, I hope you do, but I am a big fan of incremental progress counting, so I'm willing to chalk this up as one win by itself and hope y'all are taking victory laps.
I'm a little cynical about this. I think they repealed the 1864 law in hopes of lulling people into a false sense of security thinking that abortion rights are going to be protected, and then not repealing the 15 week ban or whatever the period is in more recent legislation. Then after the election, they'll go back to a total ban if they still hold the legislature. They know abortion is a huge loser in a fair election and they're doing everything they can to muddy the waters.
raison de arizona

They know abortion is a huge loser in a fair election and they're doing everything they can to muddy the waters.
This is exactly what is going on. They are trying to ratfuck the election by putting a confusing alternate abortion matter on the ballot, asking with a less restrictive 24-week ban to confuse people.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

24 weeks is over 5 months into a pregnancy. To me that's not unreasonable as long as there is a medical necessity clause included.
Largo al factotum.
raison de arizona

zekeb wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:08 am 24 weeks is over 5 months into a pregnancy. To me that's not unreasonable as long as there is a medical necessity clause included.
Yeah, the other one they are trying to put in is a 14-week ban, they’re trying to muddy the waters on the 24-week one.
raison de arizona

:mad:
https://x.com/JenAFifield/status/1786085088801018053
Jen Fifield @JenAFifield wrote: Breaking: The Arizona Supreme Court reverses sanctions against the Arizona Republican Party for a 2020 election challenge.

The court opines that issuing inappropriate sanctions presents "a real and present danger to the rule of law."

Full opinion: https://azcourts.gov/Portals/0/OpinionF ... 0208PR.pdf
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Is that the same court that was happy with the 1864 (?) law?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:43 pm Is that the same court that was happy with the 1864 (?) law?
Indeed it is.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Investigating Phoenix’s special settlement agreement with a top cop
The agreement states that the city will close a specific Equal Opportunity Department (EOD) investigation

As part of a special arrangement, the City of Phoenix agreed to change the findings in a discrimination investigative report, close active internal investigations, and not conduct any future probes into the police department’s former second-in-command. The city’s “negotiated settlement agreement” with former Executive Assistant Chief Michael Kurtenbach was signed by multiple high-ranking officials, including Chief Michael Sullivan. In return, Kurtenbach agreed to retire and not take legal action against the city.

The city’s “negotiated settlement agreement” with former Executive Assistant Chief Michael Kurtenbach was signed by multiple high-ranking officials, including Chief Michael Sullivan.

In return, Kurtenbach agreed to retire and not take legal action against the city.

The agreement states that the city will close a specific Equal Opportunity Department (EOD) investigation and change some of the report’s findings to “unsubstantiated.”

ABC15 previously reported on that discrimination investigation in 2023.

An assistant chief was found to have used a racial slur in front of other police executives. Investigators then found that Kurtenbach witnessed that assistant chief saying the slur but failed to report and address the misconduct.

Kurtenbach, who now has a top position with Arizona’s education department, has repeatedly denied the allegation.

https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/i ... -a-top-cop
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Chaos will be created’: Arizona court hears election-subversion case – with eyes on 2024
Implications of the lawsuit could extend beyond Cochise county, if local officials try similar tactics in November

Rachel Leingang in Phoenix, Arizona
Fri 3 May 2024 12.00 CEST

In a courtroom in Phoenix, Arizona, two elected officials who allegedly tried to subvert the county’s 2022 election tried to get a lawsuit against them thrown out in a case one of their defense attorneys called both “silly” and “scary”.

The Cochise county supervisors, Tom Crosby and Peggy Judd, appeared in court virtually, to defend themselves against charges of attempted election interference for their initial failure to certify the county’s election results.

The implications of the case extend far beyond the rural county and the Phoenix courtroom 200 miles away.

The state attorney general, Kris Mayes, a Democrat, sought the charges in the deep-red border county, where election denialism has gripped part of the electorate. Those looking to sow doubt in elections found, to some degree, willing ears with the two Republicans on the board.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... terference
raison de arizona

Kern did an interview with Stew Peters in the AZ Capitol.
https://x.com/brahmresnik/status/1787580927096541508
Brahm Resnik @brahmresnik wrote: JUST IN Arizona Senate President @votewarren revokes @anthonykernAZ's privileges to use Senate video room. Comes after Kern's remote interview last week with anti-Semite Stew Peters. Back story per @JerodMacEvoy: https://bit.ly/44v65dz
raison de arizona

So the Maricopa County Republican twits unanimously voted to censure the justices of the Arizona Supreme Court over Lake and Hamadeh. That'll teach them.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

That will show them! Next they will censure the Easter Bunny.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh no... please not that…🥱. 💤💤😴
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Oh my!

:pigsfly:
bob

Post by bob »

So the Maricopa County Republican twits unanimously voted to censure the justices of the Arizona Supreme Court over Lake and Hamadeh. That'll teach them.
YOU GET A CENSURE! AND YOU GET A CENSURE! AND YOU GET A CENSURE!
Image ImageImage
realist

Post by realist »

bob wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:30 pm
:rotflmao:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Just because the blob got censured, so now everyone has to have one to devalue it.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:30 pm
Everyone look under your seats! We've already filled out a censure for you!

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

This is exciting. I've always wanted my own censure. I wonder what I should name it? Do they come in different colors and sizes? Can I change the font if I want to? Are they well behaved, or should I envelope train it before hanging it on the wall? This is exciting. Have I said that already?

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”