Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

That gives a pretty big shade if the wind is right.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, you just have to keep it 90° to the wind. If'n the wind shifts, you gotta shift the umbrella. Which takes about 2 seconds. Very easy. If there's no wind ... I don't think we have ever been to the beach with no wind. On the ocean, there's always wind. That would present a problem, though.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

How long are the poles that stick into the sand? I could see these easily flying away.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am Savannah was founded in 1733 by James Oglethorpe and 120 of his homies.
Kinda in my backyard...enjoy the city, but don't venture out in the the rural areas...

And by that I mean anywhere where there isn't street lights...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by AndyinPA »

I love Savannah! Try it in the summer. But that doesn't help you now. :shrug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

bill_g wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:28 am How long are the poles that stick into the sand? I could see these easily flying away.
That's what the bag is for. The bag it comes with is permanently attached to the middle of the sail. When you get both ends of the pole pushed down in the sand, you turn the bag inside out, fill it with sand (plenty of sand available locally), and plop it down in front of the pole. Today it was so windy I had to add extra sand to the bag, but it does a good job holding the sail. The wind was really strong today, and other beach umbrellas were flying around. But my Shibumi held like a champ. We left because the sand was blowing in our faces, but not due to equipment failure.

Then you dump the sand out of the bag and pack the umbrella in it, about a quarter the size of a typical umbrella that will fly away in the wind. Simply convenient.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

shibumi.jpg
shibumi.jpg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 395 times
There you can see the bag on the lower left, filled with sand. You might even be able to see the string that goes from the bag to the top center of the sail. Makes a nice triangle for a base.

Hay, where'd ol' Wifehorn go? :confuzzled:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by AndyinPA »

Very cool!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:15 pm Kinda in my backyard...enjoy the city, but don't venture out in the the rural areas...

And by that I mean anywhere where there isn't street lights...
Yeah, we're in a massive beachfront place, in a smallish but nice little condo, 4th floor but the elevator works. There are six huge buildings, many of the units are owned and permanently occupied - people who live here year-round. We're renting for four nights only, very convenient and we'll be going home mañana.

I've said a few times, my vacation is beating the crap out of me. I'm not used to this much activity - it's a half mile walk to the beach with a cart full of junk that's fun to drag through the sand, and then we run off for other adventures. Actually, today I'm feeling a lot stronger than yesterday, even fighting the wind every step of the way. I done told ol' Wifehorn, another couple weeks of vacation and I'd be a heck of a lot stronger. She gave me the look.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 pm I love Savannah! Try it in the summer. But that doesn't help you now. :shrug:
I like Savannah, but I really haven't seen any miniature golf courses with dinosaurs or pirate ships. :blackeyebig:

I'm still a Myrtle Beach kinda guy.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 am It's not my fault you live in a frigid hellhole. :towel:
Somebody's gotta do it. :mrgreen:

I do it so others don't have to. I take one for the team.

Oh, and BTW.. the lake is probably still frigid but it's now 74 out. It's probably not sunny enough for sunning.
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

Foggy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 pm shibumi.jpg

There you can see the bag on the lower left, filled with sand. You might even be able to see the string that goes from the bag to the top center of the sail. Makes a nice triangle for a base.

Hay, where'd ol' Wifehorn go? :confuzzled:
Ah. Now it makes sense. Having put up plenty of tents that dreamed of being a Macy's Parade balloon, I had visions of a beach clad in large nylon sheets. A bag, a rope, and some sand is pretty uncomplicated. Smart.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Even the real Redneck Riviera (the Gulf Coast) has cool water this time of the year.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by sugar magnolia »

The water in the Gulf at Biloxi, MS was 72 degrees today. Of course, you can walk out forever and never get deeper than your chest, so "swimming" is a relative term. My g'babies were having a blast in their pool today.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 pm ... you can walk out forever and never get deeper than your chest, so "swimming" is a relative term.
I learned to sail a small boat in water like that, we would intentionally dump the boat and have to get it righted and sailing again, but you could stand on the bottom of the sound and be only chest deep.

Anyway, we had a great time with ol' Wifehorn's friends, drinking beer at the Salty Dog Café and eating at the Quarterdeck restaurant. The Salty Dog had a separate t-shirt store, but everything they sell is an advertisement for the restaurant, and they didn't understand that if they wanted me to wear something that advertises their business, they would have to pay me to wear a t-shirt. Not me paying them. I don't pay to advertise somebody else's business.

We're packed and ready to go. Ol' Wifehorn and I are like a machine, we could be outta here in 15 minutes.

But I need more covfefe. :oldman:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I have returned. Good vacation, even if it did beat the crap out of me. I drove home 5 hours and I needed a bit of rest (and one last cuppa), but I recovered fully, put everything away, did my laundry, reinstalled my main laptop with all the peripherals, and charged up all my tech.

Few more vacations like that, I'll really be getting stronger. :mrgreen:

'Course, the next one is Seattle in the second week of June, there's nothing more depressing than all that water and all those beaches, but you can't swim in Puget Sound neither. :violin: :crying:

Oh wait, my niece lives there with her husband and two young'uns. We're going to have a great time.
bill_g

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

Right on. We love happiness.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:40 pm I have returned. Good vacation, even if it did beat the crap out of me. I drove home 5 hours and I needed a bit of rest (and one last cuppa), but I recovered fully, put everything away, did my laundry, reinstalled my main laptop with all the peripherals, and charged up all my tech.

Few more vacations like that, I'll really be getting stronger. :mrgreen:

'Course, the next one is Seattle in the second week of June, there's nothing more depressing than all that water and all those beaches, but you can't swim in Puget Sound neither. :violin: :crying:

Oh wait, my niece lives there with her husband and two young'uns. We're going to have a great time.
Foggy... its heading into winter in downunderland. Tasmania is the coldest place you are gonna find swimmable water in downunderland.

Tassie tourist enticers have your 'wawas-too-chilly' syndrome taken care of...

The Stages Of Tasmanian Winter: Show Foggy how its done...

Come On Down!
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

And of course there is plenty of opportunity for you indulge your favourite beachside pastime...

If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”