Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!”

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We need a lot more of this.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 pm :lol: beautiful. perhaps this will be the judge that stands up to him. I will happily eat crow.
:lol: I've had to do that plenty of times, would be so very nice to have some company at the table.

I said earlier that if Merchan moves up the contempt hearing he means business. It's possible I could be mistaken, but I could have sworn the hearing was supposed to be on Thursday and now it's on Tuesday morning. :pray: :pray: :pray:

30 days. Or, even 10 days. Hell one day would make Trump's blood boil and might even be worth it. But my preference is at least a week. I want to Trump to be totally and completely humiliated . He is making a mockery of the legal system and I am hoping Merchan has noticed that and has the moxie to put an end to it. I actually think he does.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I'm glad that good lawyers are starting to call out Tristan Snell's self-important bullshit.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMKreis/statu ... 854477351
Anthony Michael Kreis
@AnthonyMKreis
Tristan Snell is right about 1/100 times he offers an opinion— and very often makes outlandish claims at that. Every expert of the NYS criminal system that I know has said that a first time offender in a case like this is very unlikely to get prison time.

[link to article entitled "Attorney Who Took Down Trump U Predicts Prison Time for Donald"]
much ado

Post by much ado »

Yeah, I think prison time is very unlikely.

But what are the likely penalties? Any of them monetary? Anything else? Would a felony conviction hamper Trump in any significant way?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Hopefully the process isn't the punishment, but hey, I'll take it!
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: He’s calling it an “endurance contest” because sitting in a courtroom for 4 days is the hardest he’s worked in his life and he’s utterly exhausted.
Jason Selvig @jasonselvig wrote: If you consider sitting quietly in a room an “endurance contest” maybe you shouldn’t be president.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I learned a new word today. I like it. Trump's lawyers asked for the names of the witnesses who would be testifying Monday. The prosecutor replied "'We are not supplying the names of the witness to a defendant who contumaciously' assails witnesses on social media."

From Merriam-Webster -

Contumaciously - stubbornly disobedient : rebellious
Example - She was warned that her contumacious conduct would not be tolerated.

Additional -
Legal contexts are one area where you might encounter this fancy word for "rebellious" or "insubordinate" - and the link between contumacious and the law goes back to Latin. The Latin adjective contumax means "rebellious," or, in specific cases, "showing contempt of court." Contumacious is related to contumely, meaning "harsh language or treatment arising from haughtiness and contempt." Both contumacious and contumely are thought to ultimately come from the Latin verb tumēre, meaning "to swell" or "to be proud."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

If he gets convicted, he won't be able to vote (for some period of time, I assume).
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:53 pm If he gets convicted, he won't be able to vote (for some period of time, I assume).
And he won't be able to have firearms. Although IIRC he already couldn't and procured one anyway and everyone looked the other -SQUIRREL!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:49 pm I learned a new word today.
:fingerwag:

On Oldbow, Stern :oldman: used contumacious
since 2009
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bob wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:08 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:49 pm I learned a new word today.
:fingerwag:

On Oldbow, Stern :oldman: used contumacious
since 2009
:oopsy: Oops. I missed that.

But I love that the term is now applied to Trump in a court proceeding.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 pm We need a lot more of this.
I was surprised when Engoron let him wander in and out of the courtroom, and to leave a couple of minutes early at the end of the day, with Engoron still at the bench. Are defendants allowed to do that in civil court? Kept meaning to ask.

Anyway, this was _clearly_ a power-play by fuckhead, given force by Engoron's previous disinterest.

My favorite story of the day.
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 pm I was surprised when Engoron let him wander in and out of the courtroom, and to leave a couple of minutes early at the end of the day, with Engoron still at the bench. Are defendants allowed to do that in civil court? Kept meaning to ask.
Unless ordered by the judge, no party is compelled to attend a civil trial.

In theory, a judge could order exits occur only during breaks. But there was no jury to distract, so I'm not surprised there was no such order in that case. (Annoying the fact finder, however, always is a Bad Idea.)

Whereas in criminal trials, the defendant's appearance is considered mandatory, unless the judge excuses it.
Image ImageImage
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm https://x.com/KatiePhang/status/1781422313625247986
Katie Phang @KatiePhang wrote: NEW: Trump’s application to the appellate court for a stay pending resolution of his change of venue motion has just been DENIED.

https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/17 ... 5681927278
Tim O'Brien
@TimOBrien
Trump’s team is already arguing in a NY appellate court that the jury selection was too fast. They want a halt to the trial and a venue change. Argues that completing selection in three days in “one of the most consequential criminal cases” is “untenable.”
Trump filed a motion-kind-of-thing* for a venue change in the First Department a couple of weeks ago, coupled with an application for a stay pending decision on the motion for a change in venue. The stay was denied shortly after the "motion" was filed; decision on the "motion" itself was deferred until later, which is normal.

I don't know if O'Brien is referring to the argument on the venue "motion" of a couple of weeks ago, during which Trump's counsel brought up a new argument :fingerwag: based on the jury selection, or whether it's is an entirely new thing that he filed in the First Department, to address the jury selection. The article linked to in the tweet doesn't clarify this.

* In light of the fact that interlocutory (i.e., before entry of final judgment) appeals aren't a thing in NYS criminal prosecutions, this was probably an Article 78 special proceeding started in the First Department, the NYS version of what is called "writ practice" in many other states. How it works, in light of the fact that you're not supposed to be able to use Article 78 proceedings as an routine end run around the prohibition on interlocutory appeals in prosecutions I dunno. It would be illuminating to see some of the papers, but that doesn't seem to be possible.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 pm I was surprised when Engoron let him wander in and out of the courtroom, and to leave a couple of minutes early at the end of the day, with Engoron still at the bench. Are defendants allowed to do that in civil court? Kept meaning to ask.
Unless ordered by the judge, no party is compelled to attend a civil trial.

In theory, a judge could order exits occur only during breaks. But there was no jury to distract, so I'm not surprised there was no such order in that case. (Annoying the fact finder, however, always is a Bad Idea.)

Whereas in criminal trials, the defendant's appearance is considered mandatory, unless the judge excuses it.
Thanks, Bob :bighug:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

chancery wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:07 pm https://x.com/KatiePhang/status/1781422313625247986
Katie Phang @KatiePhang wrote: NEW: Trump’s application to the appellate court for a stay pending resolution of his change of venue motion has just been DENIED.

https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/17 ... 5681927278
Tim O'Brien
@TimOBrien
Trump’s team is already arguing in a NY appellate court that the jury selection was too fast. They want a halt to the trial and a venue change. Argues that completing selection in three days in “one of the most consequential criminal cases” is “untenable.”
:snippity:
"untenable" is not the word I would have picked, if I were trying to convince a judge that I was making a serious argument. I haven't read the filing, so perhaps he goes on to give specifics as to _why_ the 3 days is untenable, but following the idiotic "one of the most consequential criminal cases" this reads as bad bluster. Cf "It's a most consequential criminal case so 3 days is untenable, and it's untenable because it's a most consequential criminal case."

Now I'll go find the filing and come back with a bag over my head.

PS. And btw, it's _not_ "one of the most consequential criminal cases" you dorks.
raison de arizona

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:48 pm Hopefully the process isn't the punishment, but hey, I'll take it!
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 4387162249
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: He’s calling it an “endurance contest” because sitting in a courtroom for 4 days is the hardest he’s worked in his life and he’s utterly exhausted.
Jason Selvig @jasonselvig wrote: If you consider sitting quietly in a room an “endurance contest” maybe you shouldn’t be president.
I hate to be the guy who always interprets things differently, but I think he is sending a message to everyone. He keeps telling everyone to "stay strong" and not give in, so he is having to be an example to all the minions that THEY need to "stay strong too.

Basically he is being a mafia don. Don't crack because the Don is not going to crack... in theory.

So that's the reason for all the talk about strength and endurance. You cant crack.

In other news talking about the Farts earlier, I remember the reports about how he had to be lead away on the set of the Apprentice to be cleaned up after him soiling himself. People said he was basically incontinent. So, him having to sit there with his bowls in free flow has to be torture for everyone else. So the "Farts" is actually him relieving himself because he cant hold it in.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

I mean, yeah. Of course he is going to make a deal of it.

It being having to sit still for a few days.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

:rotflmao:
IMG_1714.jpeg
IMG_1714.jpeg (69.31 KiB) Viewed 320 times
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

chancery wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm I don't know if O'Brien is referring to the argument on the venue "motion" of a couple of weeks ago, during which Trump's counsel brought up a new argument :fingerwag: based on the jury selection, or whether it's is an entirely new thing that he filed in the First Department, to address the jury selection. The article linked to in the tweet doesn't clarify this.
Sort of clarification from Adam Klasfeld:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/sta ... 341091176
Adam Klasfeld
@KlasfeldReports
Another spin on the merry-go-round reaches the same destination. 🔽
Katie Phang
@KatiePhang

NEW: Trump’s application to the appellate court for a stay pending resolution of his change of venue motion has just been DENIED.
Adam Klasfeld
@KlasfeldReports
Context:

Trump filed three applications in an appeals court before jury selection began, seeking to halt the trial.

All were rejected, and automatically reviewed by a five-judge panel.

So don’t be surprised if this happens again—with the same outcome.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 pm https://x.com/KatiePhang/status/1781420433025245504
Katie Phang @KatiePhang wrote: Judge Merchan: “We’re going to have opening statements on Monday morning. This trial is starting.”

Necheles asks again for the name of the prosecution’s first witness so they can prepare for cross-examination.

The prosecution: We’ll give it to you on Sunday. And if that name is tweeted, that courtesy will not be extended again.
If TFG does tweet the name, and I would be surprised if he didn't, and the prosecution follows through on their threat to not disclose the names of witnesses in advance, does that give Don Snoreleone the opportunity to ask for an adjurnment for a couple of days to "prepare for cross examination"? We all know that he will do anything he can to delay or prolong this trial.

Would Judge Merchan be inclined to grant such a delay?
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

They know the witness list, just not the order they are gonna be called. They are supposed to be ready for all of them at the start of the trial
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Re: Turnip’s endless requests to delay the trial by any means necessary

Facts: He’s the penultimate salesperson. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”