John Eastman disbarment hearing

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I'm hoping this news gave Jeff Clark a little visceral lurch. He's still in his hearing right now for disbarment.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious
⚖️ #EastmanTrial: With $700K in his pocket, 💰 freshly suspended John Charles Eastman posted a Happy Easter message to the marks on GiveSendGo. Being disbarred can be profitable.
Funds from this campaign will be received by John Eastman. 💵
Goal: USD $950,000 Raised: USD $ 717,839

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Don't you remember the verse, "Blessed are the grifters"?

I'm sure drivel written by his family tells the full story. I'll get right on that.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Question for the IAALs - he'll be disbarred in CA, but can he get a license in another state? Whether through any earlier reciprocity he might have had (IDK how that works, if at all) or just taking the bar exam somewhere else?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:04 pmhe'll be disbarred in CA, but can he get a license in another state? Whether through any earlier reciprocity he might have had (IDK how that works, if at all) or just taking the bar exam somewhere else?
In addition to his (now inactive) California bar license, Eastman also has a DC bar license (currently, in good standing). There's nothing currently preventing Eastman from working in the D.C. courts. Or in any court that he's a member of (other than the California state courts).

Now, many jurisdictions have self-tattle rules, requiring attorneys to self-report when they've been disciplined. And California may "help" by spreading the good news about Eastman. And people working at bar agencies and courts read the news; they may be aware, regardless of any official notice.

So Eastman should expect various other bars and courts to impose reciprocal discipline. And such discipline likely will cut off his access to those bars and courts.

Now Eastman could apply to a new, different bar. But such an application would ask, "Have you ever been disciplined by any bar or court?" Presuming Eastman answers honestly, such an application, at best, would be kicked to a committee "for further evaluation"; Eastman wouldn't be invited to this other bar.

And, realistically, Eastman has no incentive to get another license. He's old; he's rich; he doesn't need the work to put food on his family. And, as he and his elk are learning, grifting is far easier and perhaps even more lucrative.
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 pm Now, many jurisdictions have self-tattle rules, requiring attorneys to self-report when they've been disciplined. And California may "help" by spreading the good news about Eastman. And people working at bar agencies and courts read the news; they may be aware, regardless of any official notice.
I heard suing the attorneys for the bar/office of prof resposibility for tattling when you did not self-tattle is a productive lifelong endeavor.
101010 :towel:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

bob- thank you for your thorough and easy to understand explanation! And I agree with your assessment that he doesn't need to practice law...if indeed he has been doing that since he started being a law professor.
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:51 pmAnd I agree with your assessment that he doesn't need to practice law...if indeed he has been doing that since he started being a law professor.
Pre-Kool Flavor-Aid, Eastman had fairly typical career: In addition to teaching law/law-school administrating, he was a regular tee-vee talking head, eggspurt witness for various legislative hearings, wrote thinkpieces, etc. (Too also: losing elections.) Eastman occasionally signed on to various "idea" litigation (e.g., immigration, same-same marriage, etc.), but even then he usually was limited to signing an appellate brief. He wasn't in the trenches litigating.

Eastman can write a book (copies of which will be bought up by some conservative donor), do the rubber-chicken circuit, join a board or thinktank, etc. Last thing he needs to be doing is litigating, even at the appellate level.
Image ImageImage
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I imagine "Disbarred Defending Trump!" will be a real cachet among a certain set who'll gladly pay up on the rubber chicken circuit.
bob

Post by bob »

In his motion, Eastman describes his current cases.*

Notably, none are in California state courts (they are all in federal courts). So technically he can continue litigating (on his DC license) until the various federal courts lower their booms (based on the California's suspension).

* Notably, in a federal court in California, Eastman is representing Gaetz and Greene over a cancelled rally in Riverside.
Image ImageImage
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:popcorn:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney

UPDATE: California bar investigators say the judge who ordered John Eastman's disbarment should *not* stay her ruling, arguing that his willingness to distort the law and facts for his clients remains a danger to the legal system and public.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... 9-response

MORE: The bar investigators say Eastman's submission of letters from MTG and Matt Gaetz undermine his case because they attack the proceedings against him as politically motivated, proving that he "ontinues to misunderstand his duties as an attorney and his misconduct."
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Imagine that. Continuing to argue for the insurrection he fomented is not a good look for a lawyer in a disbarment hearing.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:violin:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Eastman got debanked in the wake of his disbarment... twice...
‘Rather Despicable’: John Eastman Speaks Out After Bank Of America, USAA Shut Down His Accounts

April 16, 2024

One of the left’s biggest political targets recently found himself “de-banked” with no warning and little avenue for recourse, the Daily Caller has learned.

John Eastman, once an attorney for former President Donald Trump, was de-banked twice in the span of several months by two prominent financial institutions, Bank of America and USAA, he told the Daily Caller. His accounts were closed as he faced substantial backlash for his work advising Trump around the time of the 2020 election.

Eastman said he had switched most of his banking from Bank of America to USAA, a company that provides financial services exclusively to military veterans as well as their families, due to the former’s “wokeness.” Both corporations are federally insured, and Bank of America was bailed out with billions of dollars in taxpayer funds during the global financial crisis.

Bank of America alerted Eastman in September of 2023 that it would be closing his accounts, a letter obtained by the Daily Caller shows. Shortly thereafter, USAA notified Eastman in November that his two bank accounts with the company would be closed, a separate letter shows.

“And then two months later, we get a similar letter from USAA saying that they’ve decided that they’re going to close your account and they did like three weeks later,” Eastman told the Daily Caller. “And so that was where all of our automatic payments were coming out of, all our automatic deposits. So it was a real pain to shift everything. We had to get a new bank account opened and shift everything over.”

Eastman was notified of his USAA accounts being closed on Nov. 20, 2023. A few weeks prior, a California judge made a preliminary decision saying that Eastman was culpable of ethics violations in a state bar disciplinary case, CNN reported.

USAA claimed in its letter that it was “exercising its right to no longer do banking business” with Eastman per its “Depository Agreement.”

“We may close your account for any reason without advance notice. We may require you to give us a minimum of seven (7) calendar days advance written notice when you intend to close your account by withdrawing your funds,” a section of the agreement reads.

USAA did not respond to the Daily Caller’s multiple requests for comment.

When Eastman inquired about the closures, the banks said it was their policy to not provide any more information on the matter, he told the Daily Caller. An audio recording of Eastman’s call to Bank of America, provided to the Daily Caller, reflects as much.
Looks like we're in the FO stage after all the FA.
bob

Post by bob »

The people who want you to boycott the Targets and Bud Lights of the world act surprised when they decide to boycott you. :brickwallsmall:
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Eastman "victory" lap:
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I have a bank account with USAA, and I get all my insurance through them. This makes me happy. I can understand why a bank would not want to be caught up in an obvious grift.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:13 pm I have a bank account with USAA, and I get all my insurance through them. This makes me happy. I can understand why a bank would not want to be caught up in an obvious grift.
Me too, also. (For a financial institution, USAA's customer service is top notch.) I am glad USAA is not helping facilitate the grift.
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

jcolvin2 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:35 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:13 pm I have a bank account with USAA, and I get all my insurance through them. This makes me happy. I can understand why a bank would not want to be caught up in an obvious grift.
Me too, also. (For a financial institution, USAA's customer service is top notch.) I am glad USAA is not helping facilitate the grift.
Me also, too, also. To say that USAA's customer service is top notch is huge understatement. It boggles my mind how great they are. Head and shoulders above any others I have experienced.
Image Image ImageImage

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”