Fire!

pipistrelle

Fire!

Post by pipistrelle »

The blaze broke out on the building’s copper roof during renovations, and police said it was too early to say what caused it.
My first thought is roofers, which is too often the case. Flammable materials.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Fire!

Post by RTH10260 »

another overpass gone ...
Large Tanker Fire Prompts Closure of I-95 in Norwalk

Storyful
Thu, May 2, 2024 at 8:14 PM GMT+2

A petroleum truck crashed and ignited a large fire under an overpass on Interstate 95 in Norwalk, Connecticut, on Thursday morning, May 2, prompting the closure of both northbound and southbound lanes of the freeway, officials said.

The crash also involved a passenger vehicle and a tractor-trailer truck, Governor Ned Lamont told a press conference.

The fuel truck was carrying 8,500 gallons of petroleum, fire officials said.

Scott Hill, chief engineer for the Connecticut Department of Transportation, said the blaze caused damage to the bridge above it.

According to ABC 7 NY and Fox 61, fire officials said the bridge sustained extensive damage and would be demolished within the next 48 hours.

Lamont urged travelers to avoid the Norwalk area as the freeway shutdown was causing “horrendous” traffic jams.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/large-tanker ... 18043.html

(original: Storyful)
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Fire!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:41 am another overpass gone ...
Large Tanker Fire Prompts Closure of I-95 in Norwalk

Storyful
Thu, May 2, 2024 at 8:14 PM GMT+2

A petroleum truck crashed and ignited a large fire under an overpass on Interstate 95 in Norwalk, Connecticut, on Thursday morning, May 2, prompting the closure of both northbound and southbound lanes of the freeway, officials said.

According to ABC 7 NY and Fox 61, fire officials said the bridge sustained extensive damage and would be demolished within the next 48 hours.

Lamont urged travelers to avoid the Norwalk area as the freeway shutdown was causing “horrendous” traffic jams.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/large-tanker ... 18043.html

(original: Storyful)
I got caught up in this mess on my way to a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon. My partner called me to warn me, but there was no way around the massive gridlock -- the doctor's office is right in the middle of the chaos.

This was a study in the downside of GPS in action: there's a relatively straightforward detour on about one mile of major surface streets around the mess, but because Norwalk is an older New England town, those major roads are all one lane and there are a lot of traffic lights involved. Thus, the obvious detour that the GPS suggests quickly gridlocked as bad as I-95 itself.

When that happens, Google Maps quickly starts plotting out alternate routes. It started taking people on secondary surface streets through the compact downtown area, which features narrow streets and some tight hairpin-like turns. Unfortunately, some trucking companies don't provide their drivers with commercial GPS's with a database that will route drivers away from turns they can't make. So the secondary streets through downtown quickly also gridlocked as trucks were backing and filling to get through a couple of the turns.

I don't know where the Norwalk PD was in all of this. Norwalk has a decent sized police force (90,000 population) and they're usually on top of things like this, but I didn't see evidence of any attempt to expedite traffic by overriding traffic signals, etc. Literally zero police presence. For a significant cataclysm with regional implications, if they were overwhelmed with other stuff, I would have expected that they might call in either the State Police or mutual aid from other local departments. The long-term, popular mayor of Norwalk was formerly the police chief, so this was doubly surprising.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”