Long-awaited PNW Meetup!!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Well, a mini meetup. I’ll be in Portland Oregon (The Other PortlandTM) on Friday April 18 all day, Saturday April 19 to 5:00, and Sunday April 20 all day. Also, Saturday April 27. So a 1-day extravaganza would be awesome.

Any takers?
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Sounds good to me. I'm available all four days. I'm on the south side of the metro area in the Wilsonville / Aurora area. And all four tires of my truck reach the road. So, I can get wherever we want to meet.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Jealous!!!! This sounds like fun!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

I'm game. I'm busy on the 27th, but I'm free the previous weekend. Can I ask what brings you to Portland?
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:19 am I'm game. I'm busy on the 27th, but I'm free the previous weekend. Can I ask what brings you to Portland?
Sure! My sort-of-godchild is starring in the Portland State University Opera production of The Merry Widow. Plus I have a niece I’ve never met in Olympia. And Phoenix520 in La la Land needs a visit. So, one epic Left Coast journey. Planes, trains, and automobiles will be involved.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

THE MERRY WIDOW

Friday April 19th 2024 07:30 PM - 10:30 PM

Lincoln Performance Hall (LH 175)
1620 SW Park Ave.
Portland, OR

Cost / Admission
$45 general/$30 seniors/$20 students
PSU Campus.jpg
PSU Campus.jpg (128.3 KiB) Viewed 509 times
https://map.pdx.edu/?center=45.50971535 ... 4077952891
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Say, "Hi! We miss you! How ya doin'?" to Phoenix520! :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Whatever4 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:06 pm Well, a mini meetup. I’ll be in Portland Oregon (The Other PortlandTM) on Friday April 18 all day, Saturday April 19 to 5:00, and Sunday April 20 all day. Also, Saturday April 27. So a 1-day extravaganza would be awesome.

Any takers?
Bump

Are we still a Go for lift off next week?
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

bill_g wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:33 am
Are we still a Go for lift off next week?
Definitely!

Not many takers, it seems. How about dinner on Saturday April 20? Some local pick the venue. I’ll be in the PSU area.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

April 20th is a) Hitler's birthday and b) National Marijuana Day. Perfect day for a Fogbow Meetup. :mrgreen:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:13 pm Say, "Hi! We miss you! How ya doin'?" to Phoenix520! :bighug:
:yeahthat:

Tell her she’s missed at the Bow :bighug: :bighug:

p.s. has anyone heard from Kriselda lately?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

No, and I fear for her. But then, I feared for Zekeb and he turned up among the living, so :shrug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Foggy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:06 am April 20th is a) Hitler's birthday and b) National Marijuana Day. Perfect day for a Fogbow Meetup. :mrgreen:
We can definitely celebrate Option B here.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Whatever4 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:39 am
Definitely!

Not many takers, it seems. How about dinner on Saturday April 20? Some local pick the venue. I’ll be in the PSU area.
Super idea. My treat. I'll look for something. What time is the play?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Nevermind! I forgot I had already posted it.
THE MERRY WIDOW

Friday April 19th 2024 07:30 PM - 10:30 PM

Lincoln Performance Hall (LH 175)
1620 SW Park Ave.
Portland, OR

Cost / Admission
$45 general/$30 seniors/$20 students
So, that must mean you're staying in the area. Probably downtown at one of the many hotels. There is plenty of good dining downtown if you want traditional steak and seafood. I'll make a list and post it later.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

bill_g wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:04 am
So, that must mean you're staying in the area. Probably downtown at one of the many hotels. There is plenty of good dining downtown if you want traditional steak and seafood. I'll make a list and post it later.
Staying near the Art Museum and PSU. Also looking for suggestions to places that I MUST see. :batting:
—Theodore Roosevelt
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Whatever4 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm Staying near the Art Museum and PSU. Also looking for suggestions to places that I MUST see. :batting:
You must see Powell's City of Books - the finest used book store in the Western Hemisphere. Despite having been founded decades after the author's death, I am sure it was a model for that Borges short story about the infinite library. (Magical realism allows for that kind of thing.)
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Whatever4 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm Staying near the Art Museum and PSU. Also looking for suggestions to places that I MUST see. :batting:
I'm a little embarrassed to say I don't think of downtown Portland as a destination. I'll try to think of something. My main concern is the homeless jungle. It gets bigger every year, and positively exploded during covid. It's a real thing. So, I'm scouting this week before you arrive.

All the places I think are worth visiting are an hour away in any direction. The coast is 60 miles to the west. Mt Hood is 60 miles to the east. Mt St Helens is 60 miles north. And wine country is 60 miles south.

Powell's Books is a good choice, and within walking distance of PSU at NW 10th and Burnside. Burnside is the North/South meridian, and The Willamette River is the East/West meridian. PSU and your hotel are in SW Portland. Powell's is on the north side of Burnside and part of the first block of the NW side.

People from back east say NW 16th through NW 23rd remind them of deep in NYC because of the density, the trees, the old churches, the mix of residential and commercial, and the overall flavor of the area. You can walk from your flat past a park to a grocery store, get your hair cut, quench your thirst at a brew pub, meet your friends at a small indy theatre, and get some Italian on your way home. It's very laid back and casual.

I'mm come up with something. B of B can prolly help too.
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

I agree with you about the homeless issue downtown, Bill. Duck Dodgers (my husband) and I haven't gone there to eat since before COVID, and most of those places have closed. Jake's Grill is still open at SW 10th and Alder, and is the closest place to PSU that has a pretty good menu and reputation. There's a place called the Hop City Tavern located in the Hilton. Farther out, there's Ringler's Pub at 13th and Burnside, if you're into quirky decor and okay food, or 10 Barrel Brewing at 14th and Flanders if you want the Portland brewpub experience.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:53 pm I agree with you about the homeless issue downtown, Bill. Duck Dodgers (my husband) and I haven't gone there to eat since before COVID, and most of those places have closed. Jake's Grill is still open at SW 10th and Alder, and is the closest place to PSU that has a pretty good menu and reputation. There's a place called the Hop City Tavern located in the Hilton. Farther out, there's Ringler's Pub at 13th and Burnside, if you're into quirky decor and okay food, or 10 Barrel Brewing at 14th and Flanders if you want the Portland brewpub experience.
Thanks BoB. I just returned from my reconnoiter of downtown and surrounding area. I don't know what the hoopla on WWeek is because it looks pretty good downtown. The homeless are exactly where they've always been - throughout ChinaTown north to the rail lines, and over to Broadway around the Greyhound station. IOW, where the services for them are (county and charity). PSU and the Park Blocks had zero blue tarps. The Pearl was hoppin with shoppin. Burnside west to 23rd had some pushing their carts, but the parks were clear. 23rd was curb to curb Subarus and Teslas - totally normal. The sidealks were thick with people looking for lunch.

So, W4 and family should be pleased. We just have to keep them away from Voodoo Donuts. If you've seen one penis donut, you've seen 'em all.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

While I do not live in Portland, I went to college there and return somewhat regularly. For stellar Northwest seafood, I would try Higgins, which is located at SW Broadway and Jefferson, not tool far from where you are staying. I also recommend the 10 Barrell brewpub experience.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

jcolvin2 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:11 pm While I do not live in Portland, I went to college there and return somewhat regularly. For stellar Northwest seafood, I would try Higgins, which is located at SW Broadway and Jefferson, not tool far from where you are staying. I also recommend the 10 Barrell brewpub experience.
That is a good choice, and it's on my list. I think it's moments away from where they are staying. It would be my first visit. So, it's definitely a contender.

My list so far is limited to downtown selections based on what friends and the former OLive Commentariat recommended.

Higgins, Jake's, and Southpark Seafood for local seafood plus regional cuisine. Higgins is on Jefferson, the same street as the art museum, at Broadway. Jake's is a few blocks further out at Alder and 10th. Southpark Seafood is closer to the museum at SW 9th and Salmon.

The Duck House on SW 5th for Chinese. It's within the PSU campus boundary.

Shigezo for Japanese on SW Salmon. Another place close to their hotel, and directly across the street from Southpark Seafood.

Morton's Steakhouse in the KOIN tower across from The Keller. Not much of a walk at SW 3rd and Clay. PSU is on Broadway (7th) near Clay. It's a classic fine dining experience.

Then I got suggestions to get out of downtown. Three were up in the NW 23rd Ave area I wrote about earlier. Another is across the river near Ladd's Addition on SE Hawthorn almost to 39th / Ceasar Chavez Blvd.

TarBoush Bistro serves traditional Lebanese. It has very limited hours - 4-9pm daily - and very limited space. It's in a Victorian house on Hawthorn. People rave about it. Vegan and GF. I can make reservations. Parking is dear. Zero off street parking.

McMenamin's Blue Moon on NW 21st and Glisan. A Portland institution. Hippie bistro. You'll reek of patchouli and stale beer when you leave. Nothing formal about it. But, it's a lot of fun.

Carina's is barely a block away from Blue Moon. Another bistro, but different ambience. It's not quite like the mall food court, but it's more reserved than Blue Moon. Plus they offer more than pizza sticks, a bazzillion beers, and The Grateful Dead on repeat. A lot quieter.

Barba Mingo is the other direction on NW 21st. Blue Moon is at Glisan (G street). Barba Mingo is between J and K streets (Johnson and Kearney). I've never been there, but I've heard it's great Italian pan Mediterranean food. It's also popular. I will definitely have to make a reservation.

Papa Haydn on NW 23rd between Irving and Johnson. They specialize in desserts. They have sammiches, but their super power involves cake and fruit. Lots of it. If you can put fresh cream on it, whipped or otherwise, they've done it.

Again, my treat. Pick one, or we can go with the first choice - Higgins.

Think about it.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Papa Haydn is a sentimental favorite of mine. It has an incredible Viennese dessert case, and quite credible pastas. Plus, I could actually afford to eat there when I was a student. Because I lived on the other (downmarket) side of the Willamette River, I usually went to the location on SE Milwaukie Avenue.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Looking at reservations, do we have an idea of how many people we'll have at our table?

Higgins is dinner service only, and it starts at 5pm. I'm fine with 5pm, but that's was Mrs' fav dinner time. I can eat later. OTOH W4's stomach will still be on EST. 5pm will eight o'clock or later according to his body. So, he/they may prefer 5pm. Or not.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I’m just me. After 43 years married, W2 doesn’t travel with me much. I like to suck the culture out of wherever I go. :towel: Back-to-back museums, galleries, neighborhoods, tours, etc. He likes to rest. And hates the process of getting there. So no scenic sleeper train rides, for example. (Portland to LA on the Coast Starlight this trip, for example.)

Not to mention he thinks my sister’s male partner is the most annoying man in the world. He’s not wrong.
—Theodore Roosevelt

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”