State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by keith »

IANAL, but come on.

If this is actual, isnt this yet another bald faced fraud? This time on the court?

I suspect that it is possible that Knight has filed paperwork and it hasn't shown up in the databases yet, but if not shouldn't the principles, Trump, and Trump's lawyers that agreed to got along with this farce be jailed for contempt?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Trump’s collateral to secure the loans was a combination of cash and investment-grade bonds, according to Don Hankey, the chairman of Knight Insurance.
:liar:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

keith wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:49 am I suspect that it is possible that Knight has filed paperwork and it hasn't shown up in the databases yet
That's entirely plausible. There could be a twist in an obscure corner of the regulations, or special authorizations that aren't easily available to review, all sorts of things. And it's a little hard to believe that Trump's lawyers would do something so stupid and easy to be caught.

Now, if I were filing this bond, and I knew that the company doesn't show up in the database of licensed sureties, I'd be inclined to include a paragraph, or an exhibit, or both, that demonstrated the basis for the company's authorization to write the bond. But that's mostly (not entirely -- it could head off a tussle) a question of style; what counts is the authorization.
keith wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:49 ambut if not shouldn't the principles, Trump, and Trump's lawyers that agreed to got along with this farce be jailed for contempt?
No.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Trump can't do anything without machinations.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

chancery wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:03 am
keith wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:49 am I suspect that it is possible that Knight has filed paperwork and it hasn't shown up in the databases yet
That's entirely plausible. There could be a twist in an obscure corner of the regulations, or special authorizations that aren't easily available to review, all sorts of things. And it's a little hard to believe that Trump's lawyers would do something so stupid and easy to be caught.
I was thinking just the opposite - that this is exactly the kind of stupid thing that Trump’s attorneys have been doing for the past few years. A bad mistake based on ignorance and refusal to learn new areas of the law. I'm pretty sure I know exactly how many multi-million dollar court bonds Alina Habba has done in the past.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

https://x.com/ReallyAmerican1/status/17 ... 01616?s=20
Really American 🇺🇸 @ReallyAmerican1 wrote: 🚨🚨BREAKING: A Trump supporter has been arrested after targeting Attorney General Letitia James and Justice Arthur Engoron with threats of extreme violence.

"Mark my words I will kill you" he wrote.

26-year-old Tyler Vogel was charged with two counts of making a terroristic threat and two counts of second-degree aggravated harassment, according to The Buffalo News, after sending text messages to James and Engoron.

The would-be attacker referred to himself as "Brian Crandel" and confirmed that he knew where the Attorney General and the Judge lived by sending their addresses to them in his text messages.

"I want to give you Letitia James a very fair warning that you are not to permanently steal Donald Trumps (sic) assets or his property," he wrote, also promising to "go after you with deadly force" with his "whole wall of deadly weapons."

He allegedly added "Mark my words I will kill you if you even dare to permanently steal Donald Trumps assets or his property."

This episode underscores the importance of enforcing gag orders imposed on Trump, as his increasingly unhinged supporters present a clear and present danger to members of the court and witnesses.
Paywall: https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crim ... 8c8aa.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

One must admit he didn't totally go overboard by threatening them to not steal Donnies election ;)
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

More on the subject of the appeal bond written by Knight Specialty Insurance Company.

A bond (aka undertaking) written by a licensed surety insurance company will be accepted by the court practically as a matter of course. However, when an appellant is unable to obtain a proper surety bond, a court has discretion to accept any assortment of collateral, liens, accommodation party undertakings, and related contractual provisions to provide security. It's not unusual for these to be quite funky when the appellant is a company in financial distress.

Trump didn't file a motion for a discretionary approval of security. However, if it turns out that Knight isn't licensed to write this bond, and if that fact doesn't make the bond void and unenforceable, as opposed to exposing Knight to risk of penalties (I have no idea, might depend on circumstances), Trump will probably say, "oops," here's a motion, please approve the undertaking anyway.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Question: must the bond be issued by a company operating / licensed in the state of NY, no other US based company permitted?
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Although some aspects of insurance business might, probably do, come under various sorts of federal regulation, insurance companies are regulated by the states. And in general, you can't carry on insurance business in a state if you're not authorized to do so. And writing an appeal bond for an appeal in a New York court seems pretty clearly to involve doing business in New York state.

Recall that Kingman, the twitter user who says he's a surety lawyer, said that Knight could participate in a reinsurance arrangement for the company that wrote the bond, but couldn't write the bond itself.

What the consequences of this are, I dunno. It would be kind of weird for the court to say "never mind." But IANAInsL.
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:41 pm https://x.com/ReallyAmerican1/status/17 ... 01616?s=20
Really American 🇺🇸 @ReallyAmerican1 wrote: 🚨🚨BREAKING: A Trump supporter has been arrested after targeting Attorney General Letitia James and Justice Arthur Engoron with threats of extreme violence.

"Mark my words I will kill you" he wrote.

26-year-old Tyler Vogel was charged with two counts of making a terroristic threat and two counts of second-degree aggravated harassment, according to The Buffalo News, after sending text messages to James and Engoron.

The would-be attacker referred to himself as "Brian Crandel" and confirmed that he knew where the Attorney General and the Judge lived by sending their addresses to them in his text messages.

"I want to give you Letitia James a very fair warning that you are not to permanently steal Donald Trumps (sic) assets or his property," he wrote, also promising to "go after you with deadly force" with his "whole wall of deadly weapons."

He allegedly added "Mark my words I will kill you if you even dare to permanently steal Donald Trumps assets or his property."

This episode underscores the importance of enforcing gag orders imposed on Trump, as his increasingly unhinged supporters present a clear and present danger to members of the court and witnesses.
Paywall: https://buffalonews.com/news/local/crim ... 8c8aa.html
The stochastic terror rears its ugly head yet again.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
raison de arizona

Republican Voters Against Trump @AccountableGOP wrote: Donald Trump on his civil fraud trial: "I won the case because it's called statute of limitations...The appellate division said, 'You won the case. That's it.' And the judge said, 'I don't accept it.' He is called a rogue judge. He's a fake judge."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

WTAF??
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Contempt of court
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:37 pm One must admit he didn't totally go overboard by threatening them to not steal Donnies election ;)
A most astute observance! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

RVInit wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am Dear Lord, please don’t let that SOB still be roaming this earth in four years.
Would I be pushing it if I asked the same in four months? Four weeks or four days sound even better to me.
I'm with ya
raison de arizona

They claim they are good to go in NY in the filing. FWIW.
NOW THEREFORE, Knight Specialty Insurance Company, meeting the
requirements to transact business and issue this undertaking in the State of New York
https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... l09aJOjw==
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Yeah, I quoted that upthread.

It's hard to believe that the attorneys would file that without some basis for it.

However, it's strange that the company doesn't show up in the database that includes insurance companies or in the general business entity database run by the the NYS Secretary of State.

Possibly there is licensed subsidiary with a different name, but it would be strange not to mention the licensed entity.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

chancery wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:57 pm It's hard to believe that the attorneys would file that without some basis for it.
I thought that sentence could be saying that the company CLAIMS it fulfills the financial, legal, governance, etc. requirements to be a surety so COULD be accredited IF it chose to fill in the relevant forms.

In other words, it gives the impression of claiming the company is accredited as a surety without explicitly making that claim.

Seems odd though, as that sliminess would never fool both court clerks and plaintiff's attorneys, neither inclined to reason "oh, the Trump team claim it so it must be true.".
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:07 am
chancery wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:57 pm It's hard to believe that the attorneys would file that without some basis for it.
I thought that sentence could be saying that the company CLAIMS it fulfills the financial, legal, governance, etc. requirements to be a surety so COULD be accredited IF it chose to fill in the relevant forms.

In other words, it gives the impression of claiming the company is accredited as a surety without explicitly making that claim.

Seems odd though, as that sliminess would never fool both court clerks and plaintiff's attorneys, neither inclined to reason "oh, the Trump team claim it so it must be true.".
The filing must have had a 'worthless clause' so that if the court relied on the attorney's representations, the court would only have itself to blame. Because that's totally the way it works according to TFG, right?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

According to ol' Wifehorn, the news yesterday had no mention of this "not licensed in NY" aspect. :confuzzled:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/DaveKingman8/status ... 8065354028

More from "Dave Kingman, Esq," who is a Mets fan. It's apparently not his real name; there's no "David or Dave Kingman admitted to the bar in New York State.
Dave Kingman, Esq.
@DaveKingman8
Here's the deal with the bond. Don't listen to the WSJ. Their article is wrong. An insurance company has to be qualified to write a bond in NY. CPLR article 25 and Insurance Law article 11.

The AG has to object to the bond (known as "excepting"). The bond lacks the required supporting documents and was written by an unauthorized company. Trump then gets 10 days to move to "justify" the surety.

This surety cannot be justified. They're not authorized. They cannot justify the bond without getting State approval. So this is just a huge time waster for Trump. A huge delay tactic. The AG can't do anything until the Court rejects the bond.

The AG has to file an exception to the bond, however. Otherwise justification won't be required. Let's go
@TishJames
His tweets don't seem to get any engagement from the lawyers and journalists following the Trump prosecutions and civil enforcement actions.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:o :o :o

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”