Cinema Paradiso - a celebration of movies

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I don't think I've ever actually watched a Mark Brothers film. I know, I've serious gaps in my education.

I HAVE watched these outtakes from a game show that Groucho hosted called "You Bet Your Life," which are delightful. There are worse ways to spend an hour and a half than looking at or listening to these.

Hic sunt dracones
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

For those of you interested in the origins of cine production, here's a fascinating article.

You may be familiar with Thomas Edison, George Eastman and the Lumière brothers, but what about Kazimierz Prószyński and Louis Le Prince?

"...it has all the ingredients of a great thriller, with competing claims from competing inventors, the unexplained disappearance of one of them, and even accusations of murder."

When Was the Movie Camera Invented?
https://thescriptlab.com/blogs/38894-wh ... -invented/
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

For folks who like French cinema and visual feasts.

First viewing of Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019), a visually and emotionally stunning French romantic drama set in 18th century Brittany. The exquisite cinematography by Claire Mathon stirred memories of Barry Lyndon (1975) & The Duellists (1977). Film art heaven. 😍
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I've been meaning to say that I have no idea where your nickname came from, but I don't think you're grumpy at all (and I have no clue what git even means.)
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:13 pm I've been meaning to say that I have no idea where your nickname came from, but I don't think you're grumpy at all (and I have no clue what git even means.)
Most kind. :biggrin:

In the UK a git is usually a derogatory term for an unpleasant person, preceded by another word, examples:
Stupid git, total git,
but it can also be used in jest
silly old git, daft git, which is more like me, but I do have my grumpy moments, usually when my beloved Tottenham Hotspur, also known as the Spurs, lose a match, which can be quite regularly. :rotflmao:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Grumpy Git wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:32 pm ...usually when my beloved Tottenham Hotspur, also known as the Spurs, lose a match, which can be quite regularly. :rotflmao:
No worries, I'm a Cubs and Saints fan.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Grumpy Git wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:33 pm For folks who like French cinema and visual feasts.
Have you seen La piscine? Criterion Channel is pushing it and am a subscriber.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:15 pm
Grumpy Git wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:33 pm For folks who like French cinema and visual feasts.
Not seen it but now added to my watch list, so thanks. :thumbsup:

The Criterion Channel don't stream here in the UK, but I'm a subscriber to the BFI Player, who have a lot of French cinema, so hopefully it will turn up on there soon or BBC or Film4 who also both show a lot of French films. :biggrin:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Grumpy Git wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:38 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:15 pm
Not seen it but now added to my watch list, so thanks. :thumbsup:

The Criterion Channel don't stream here in the UK, but I'm a subscriber to the BFI Player, who have a lot of French cinema, so hopefully it will turn up on there soon or BBC or Film4 who also both show a lot of French films. :biggrin:
Here's the page where they're promoting Euro thrillers. I've seen Diabolique, but not the others. Euro thrillers
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Timely.

The Ear
Directed by Karel Kachyňa • 1970 • Czechoslovakia

This paranoid surveillance thriller unfolds over the course of a tense, turbulent night in the life of Ludvík (Radoslav Brzobohatý), a Communist party official, and his wife Anna (Jiřina Bohdalová). Returning home from a party one evening, the pair discover that their house has been broken into and bugged—and that the state may be listening in on their every word. A number of Ludvík’s colleagues have already been terminated in an ongoing purge: could he be next? Completed in 1970 but banned for twenty years, THE EAR masterfully evokes the ever-present sense of dread that defines life under authoritarianism.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Post by Grumpy Git »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:32 pm Here's the page where they're promoting Euro thrillers. I've seen Diabolique, but not the others. Euro thrillers
Oh you've got some great choices there, Knife in the Water, The Wages of Fear, Funny Games, Insomnia, The Shout, The Hit, The Vanishing, all very different from each other and top quality dramas, Funny Games is quite shocking though, and The Vanishing has a terrifying final scene.

There's a few there I know of and want to see. More added to the list! :biggrin:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The movie theaters got a big lift this weekend. I saw it in IMAX (wow, that's big and loud). It's really intense sometimes. Very enjoyable.

101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:55 pm The movie theaters got a big lift this weekend. I saw it in IMAX (wow, that's big and loud). It's really intense sometimes. Very enjoyable.
I enjoyed it as well, but I still miss all the Lynch-isms.

A mild critique:
► Show Spoiler
Image ImageImage
northland10

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:44 pm
northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:55 pm The movie theaters got a big lift this weekend. I saw it in IMAX (wow, that's big and loud). It's really intense sometimes. Very enjoyable.

A mild critique:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

When I was growing up Leslie Neilson was a movie heavy, his comedy was a complete surprize. When I first watched Walken he was another movie heavy, little did I know he's actually a song and dance guy that made money as the heavy.
bob

Post by bob »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:14 pmWhen I first watched Walken he was another movie heavy, little did I know he's actually a song and dance guy that made money as the heavy.

This was after Walken had won the Oscar for The Deer Hunter.

I also appreciate the full-circleness of Walken appearing in Dune with Weapon of Choice's lyric, "Walk without rhythm, it won't attract the worm."
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Song and dance? How about Clark Gable?

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

And Basil Rathbone.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

From one of the silliest movies ever:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm guessing that was in the 30s. Lots of the stars back then got their start in Vaudeville.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Stilgar has already become a meme
https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/news/du ... e-stilgar/

But also the buckets.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Dr. Ken wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:21 pm Stilgar has already become a meme
https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/news/du ... e-stilgar/
:rotflmao:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bob wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:44 pm
I love everything Lynch has done. Except for the attempt at an adaptation of a book which is possibly the greatest science fiction masterpiece ever written. And that one I absolutely LOATH

Lynch's version is an abomination from go to whoa. The casting is off. Kyle McLaughlin is good actor, but alousy Muad Dib. As an actor Sting makes an useful salt and pepper shaker.

The design is an abomination right from the start. The rendition of Planet Caladan is absurd - it's a paradise planet for crying out loud, not an HM Geiger (sp?) idea of what Frankenstein's lair looked like.

Oh dont get me started.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Suranis wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:36 pm I don't think I've ever actually watched a Mark Brothers film. I know, I've serious gaps in my education.

I HAVE watched these outtakes from a game show that Groucho hosted called "You Bet Your Life," which are delightful. There are worse ways to spend an hour and a half than looking at or listening to these.

here, have some knowledge:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”