COPS behaving badly

sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:12 pm Former Mississippi cop called ‘mafia don’ of ‘Goon Squad’ that tortured 2 Black men sentenced to more than 27 years in prison

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/21/us/missi ... index.html
Brett McAlpin, who was the highest-ranking officer on the scene when six former Mississippi law enforcement officers tortured two Black men in January 2023, was sentenced to more than 27 years in prison Thursday.

Federal prosecutors described the former deputy with the Rankin County Sheriff’s Office as “the one calling the shots” and as a “mafia don” among the six rogue cops who tortured citizens – acts associated with another time in the state of Mississippi.

McAlpin pleaded guilty in August to federal charges of conspiracy against rights, deprivation of rights under color of law, conspiracy to obstruct justice, and obstruction of justice related to the January 24 incident.

McAlpin also pleaded guilty in August to state charges of conspiracy to commit obstruction of justice and first-degree obstruction of justice. He awaits sentencing on the state charges.

The men were part of a squad of White Mississippi law enforcement officers who raided a home in Braxton in January 2023 without a warrant, subjected the two Black men – Eddie Parker and Jenkins – to racist vitriol, used Tasers on them after they had already been handcuffed, beat them with various objects and shot Jenkins in the mouth.

McAlpin, his voice shaking, addressed the court but did not look at the victims.

“Eddie Parker and Michael Jenkins, I want you to know I’m sorry for what you went through,” he said.
This is the one I was waiting for. Brett has been doing this shit over there for YEARS and never been held accountable. I can't begin to imagine how many cops he's "trained" in his flavor of policing.
Fiascoist

COPS behaving badly

Post by Fiascoist »

How was this travesty revealed? What's the back story? I am happy as hell this is happening, but why this one, why at this time? Why were these two gentlemen believed by someone/entity as opposed to all the others who have not been belueved?
W. Kevin Vicklund

COPS behaving badly

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Fiascoist wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:01 pm How was this travesty revealed? What's the back story? I am happy as hell this is happening, but why this one, why at this time? Why were these two gentlemen believed by someone/entity as opposed to all the others who have not been belueved?
Hard to argue against a bullethole through the mouth.
Volkonski
Verified:

COPS behaving badly

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/an ... rcna144460
And Joshua Hartfield, 32, the final former deputy to be sentenced, was ordered to serve 121 months, or about 10 years.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Rolodex

COPS behaving badly

Post by Rolodex »

Looks lIke Rankin county is "ate up" with bad deputies. I think McAlpin is the one they called a "father figure." Ugh. Between him and the Dedmons what a bunch of trash. And one article I read said the sheriff got re-elected in the middle of all this. I figure he ran unopposed (just like they all do here in AL). The younger Dedmon who's already in prison committed his murder in Hines Co - I bet if they'd been across the river, it wouldn't have come to light as fast - or ever. He hit a guy with his truck and ran over him. He and his buddies went to east Jackson to "get some **ggers."

I don't know that we haven't had sheriff's offices this bad, but we did have a scandal a few years back when it came to light that sheriffs were keeping most of the money that the state allotted to them for feeding inmates. They spent less than the bare minimum and some bought beach houses, hunting lodges, etc with all the money they stole*. The state eventually figured out "don't give the sheriff $xxxx and let them figure out how much to use to actually feed their prisoners (and legally keep the rest).

*Technically not stolen since this was the official policy - feed them and keep the rest, personally.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
pipistrelle

COPS behaving badly

Post by pipistrelle »

Fiascoist wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:01 pm How was this travesty revealed? What's the back story? I am happy as hell this is happening, but why this one, why at this time? Why were these two gentlemen believed by someone/entity as opposed to all the others who have not been belueved?
I had the same questions, but once you've been beaten a few times (or shot in the mouth), and you're the "wrong" race for the region, you probably figure it's not a great idea for your future health and welfare, or lifespan, to say something.
Rolodex

COPS behaving badly

Post by Rolodex »

The whole beginning of this case is nuts: the cops went out there for a call when a neighbor called because there was a white women with 2 black guys. That's it. That was the emergency.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:57 pm The whole beginning of this case is nuts: the cops went out there for a call when a neighbor called because there was a white women with 2 black guys. That's it. That was the emergency.
It was actually the woman who owned the house who called McAlpin directly. The location was already known as a drug house and brothel and was relatively close to McAlpin's home. He and the woman who owned the house were friends. She asked for a favor from him to get them out of her property. Things went to shit from there.
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:00 pm Looks lIke Rankin county is "ate up" with bad deputies. I think McAlpin is the one they called a "father figure." Ugh. Between him and the Dedmons what a bunch of trash. And one article I read said the sheriff got re-elected in the middle of all this. I figure he ran unopposed (just like they all do here in AL). The younger Dedmon who's already in prison committed his murder in Hines Co - I bet if they'd been across the river, it wouldn't have come to light as fast - or ever. He hit a guy with his truck and ran over him. He and his buddies went to east Jackson to "get some **ggers."

I don't know that we haven't had sheriff's offices this bad, but we did have a scandal a few years back when it came to light that sheriffs were keeping most of the money that the state allotted to them for feeding inmates. They spent less than the bare minimum and some bought beach houses, hunting lodges, etc with all the money they stole*. The state eventually figured out "don't give the sheriff $xxxx and let them figure out how much to use to actually feed their prisoners (and legally keep the rest).

*Technically not stolen since this was the official policy - feed them and keep the rest, personally.
Actually, Bailey was not only re-elected in the middle of this clusterfuck, but it came out during the run up to the election that he was under investigation for misusing NCIC to run some kind of background check on his mistress' boyfriend or some such. I know he had 2 different investigations against him right before the election but nothing ever came of either of them. MS has no legal provision to recall a Sheriff, or a Mayor for that matter, or our POS mayor would be gone too.
Rolodex

COPS behaving badly

Post by Rolodex »

Thanks for the information. What I had read about the initial call was unclear so I made some assumptions. I know the 2 guys who were attacked were involved with drugs in some way, not just totally innocent fellas - which does not make the attack any worse.

Ugh. Not too surprised about the sheriff. We have no way to recall any electeds, either. No way to have ballot initiatives, either.
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm Thanks for the information. What I had read about the initial call was unclear so I made some assumptions. I know the 2 guys who were attacked were involved with drugs in some way, not just totally innocent fellas - which does not make the attack any worse.

Ugh. Not too surprised about the sheriff. We have no way to recall any electeds, either. No way to have ballot initiatives, either.
Our ballot initiative bill died in the House about a week ago. We used to have a ballot initiative, but it was written in such a way that when we lost a congressional district at the last census there was no way to decide how many signatures were required for something to make it on the ballot. The new proposed bill specifically excluded any abortion initiative anyway, so not sure what exactly it would have accomplished.
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

Found the article about Sheriff Bailey's crimes.
https://mississippitoday.org/2023/09/27 ... irlfriend/
Rolodex

COPS behaving badly

Post by Rolodex »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:47 am Found the article about Sheriff Bailey's crimes.
https://mississippitoday.org/2023/09/27 ... irlfriend/
Ugh. What a mess. If there were taking place in Jackson, the AG will be all over this like stink on shit.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Homeless Florida man paralyzed and legs amputated after arrest and police transport ride

ABC Action News
19 Mar 2024

A federal lawsuit has been filed against the St. Petersburg Police Department, alleging officers used brutality in their treatment of a homeless man who was injured while being transported to jail. The complaint was filed at the U.S. District Courthouse in Tampa Monday morning. The lawsuit alleges that two officers violated Heriberto Sanchez-Mayen's civil rights when they arrested him without cause and took him to jail for a non-criminal infraction that would normally result in a citation.

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Jacksonville officer in Jamee Johnson police shooting is arrested in Clay County case

SCOTT BUTLER Jacksonville Florida Times-Union
03/28/2024

A Jacksonville sheriff's officer involved in one of the most controversial police shootings in the city's recent history has been arrested in Clay County involving reported inappropriate behavior with a minor.

Josue Garriga III, 34, was charged Wednesday with unlawful sexual activity with certain minors, lewd touching of certain minors, travel to meet a minor for unlawful sexual activity, transmission of harmful material to a minor and use of a two-way communication device to facilitate a felony, according to his Clay County Sheriff's Office arrest report.

Bail for each count is $75,000, according to the report, totaling $375,000. The Public Defender's Office has temporarily been assigned to his case. The public defender has previously advised his office does not comment on pending cases.

Garriga was hired in July 2018 and resigned following his arrest, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said.

Garriga was the officer who shot and killed 22-year-old Jamee Johnson during a Dec. 14, 2019, traffic stop that many people deemed was racial profiling for a seat belt violation and led to a federal lawsuit against the officer, the Sheriff's Office and the city. Johnson's family settled the lawsuit almost four years later that also led to the City Council giving Sheriff T.K. Waters signing authority over legal settlements involving his officers.

The State Attorney's Office ruled the shooting justifiable. But Johnson’s shooting prompted several protests and rallies against police. Lawmakers and citizens called for the release of the body-camera footage. Nearly eight months later, the State Attorney’s Office released footage from two officers’ cameras along with a series of reports and photos related to the investigation.

Following then-Sheriff Mike Williams' abrupt retirement amid a separate scandal over living in an out-of-jurisdiction county, newly elected Sheriff T.K. Waters has since established a new policy to release "appropriately edited" bodycam video within 21 days.

https://eu.jacksonville.com/story/news/ ... 126955007/
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

17-year-old girl tried to take her own life after mother found out ex-JSO officer was contacting her: warrant
Josue Garriga III, 34, resigned after being charged in Clay County investigation

News4JAX is learning more details about the sex crime investigation involving a 17-year-old girl that led to the arrest of a 34-year-old now former officer with the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

According to the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, Josue Garriga is facing several charges, including unlawful sexual action with a minor, lewd and lascivious touching, and the transmission of harmful material to a minor.

Despite a pastor’s warning, Garriga is accused of continuing his inappropriate relationship with the teen, and when her mother learned about it, the girl attempted to take her own life.

According to the warrant, the mother “found her daughter unconscious on her bed, after admitting to attempting suicide by ingesting prescribed medication.”
:snippity:
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... ex-crimes/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Video shows California police fatally shooting teenager who was reported kidnapped
Revealed: Savannah Graziano, 15, shot by sheriff’s deputies in 2022 while unarmed and following instructions to move toward them

Newly released law enforcement footage captures the moment California police fatally shot an unarmed 15-year-old girl who was a reported kidnapping victim.

On 27 September 2022, San Bernardino county sheriff’s deputies were searching for Savannah Graziano, who was feared abducted by her father Anthony Graziano after he had fatally shot her mother the day before.

Deputies cornered Anthony Graziano’s vehicle on the side of a freeway in Hesperia, 80 miles east of Los Angeles. When Savannah exited the vehicle, they opened fire and killed her. The shooting sparked national concern, with critics questioning how officers wound up killing the teenage girl they were tasked with rescuing.

Sheriff’s officials claimed following the shooting that it was unclear whether Savannah was shot by deputies or her father, and they said deputies didn’t realize it was her when she got out of the car. For nearly two years, they refused to release footage of the shooting.

But on Friday, the department disclosed nearly a dozen video files to the independent journalist Joey Scott, who filed records requests 18 months prior. The clips – which were shared with the Guardian and include helicopter footage – show deputies shooting at Savannah as she followed their instructions to move toward them. The videos also suggest deputies shot her after two officers remarked that it was the girl who exited. The footage, and the sheriff’s narration of the video, further make clear she was killed by deputies, not her father.

The sheriff’s department declined to comment.
:snippity:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... h-graziano
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

the video, moments leading up to the desaster

pw. the victim was said to have been wearing a bullet proof vest and a helmet, may have led to an officer believe it was the kidnapper.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

COPS behaving badly

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:21 pm the video, moments leading up to the desaster

https: //youtu.be/BUT0z0GXoBM

pw. the victim was said to have been wearing a bullet proof vest and a helmet, may have led to an officer believe it was the kidnapper.
Are you seeing the same video and listening to the same audio as I am?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

keith wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:54 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:21 pm the video, moments leading up to the desaster

https: //youtu.be/BUT0z0GXoBM

Are you seeing the same video and listening to the same audio as I am?
None of the deputies on the ground are equipped with body cameras, but they do have audio belt recordings. The sheriff’s office released the recording from the deputy closest to Savannah.

“Passenger get out! Passenger get out! Get out! Get out! Get out! Passenger, Get out! Get out!,” the deputy yells.

Savannah, wearing a bulletproof vest and a tactical helmet, then exits the truck and lays down on the road.

“All right, girl’s out guys. Female juve is out. She’s out on the passenger side,” the deputy in the helicopter says.

The deputy closest to her instructs her to come toward him.

“Hey! Hey! Come here! Come to me, Come to me! Come! Come! Come! Come!,” he says. “Walk! Walk! Walk!”

Savannah gets up and starts to walk toward the deputy.

The narrator said deputies “at a distance and higher locations and with differing fields of view saw a person exit the vehicle and move toward other deputies.” Those deputies opened fire, hitting Savannah.

“Stop! Stop shooting her! He’s in the car! Stop! She’s OK. He’s in the car! Stop!” the deputy who instructed her to walk toward him screams.

The deputies stopped firing but it was too late. Their bullets hit Savannah.

“Oh no,” the cop in the helicopter said.

Deputies went to her side and paramedics rushed her to the hospital but doctors pronounced her dead. Graziano also was killed in the shootout.
https://lawandcrime.com/crime/stop-shoo ... ng-victim/
pipistrelle

COPS behaving badly

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit

COPS behaving badly

Post by RVInit »

Here is the deposition of that cop in Riley's case (see post directly above this one). Holy shit.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

https://www.wlbt.com/2024/04/09/jackson ... -shooting/

Ex-cop shoots and kills ex-boyfriend. I had lunch with a couple of Judges today and they said the victim was granted his THIRD restraining order on Friday. The doer also chopped the victim up with an ax after he killed him. Made sure they had a good photo of him from the ring camera and left his phone at the scene so they couldn't track him. The poor victim lived in a gated complex, had security and a ring camera, got restraining orders and did everything he was supposed to do and still wound up in pieces due to a maniac. The ex-cop had spent a short time on the force here then moved on to another dept when he was on the verge of being fired. And our genius legislators killed a bill this session that would allow for a statewide registry and investigative powers for our minimum standards board.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

COPS behaving badly

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Former TV sheriff accused of stealing $5M, using it on vacations, luxury cars and child support

New York Post
9 Apr 2024

A former reality television sheriff and volunteer firefighter from Indiana is facing a slew of felony charges, accused of stealing at least $5 million in taxpayer money and using it to fund vacations, luxury cars and even child support.

Jamey Noel, 52, who appeared on the A & E show “60 Days In” in 2016 and 2017, and his family allegedly stole the public funds as he served as both the Clark County Sheriff and the head of a local EMS service, according to Inside Edition.

He also allegedly ordered some of his subordinates to do work around his house as they were on the clock for the Sheriff’s Department, court documents say.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”