Weather Alerts

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

The start of spring was two days ago, so right on cue, Winter declares, "We not be done yet." Winter does not like being told to leave, though it was longing around drinking coffee for most of this year.

We are expecting 1-3 inches tomorrow. Across the Wisconsin border, they have an advisory for 4-6 inches tomorrow. Maine appears to be getting clobbered right now with blizzard warnings.

We had some flakes on the first day of spring, but they only wandered around, taking in the sites. They didn't stay.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Same here, but without the snow. Definitely chilly-to-downright cold out there. Going down so low at night that the homeless have to go into shelters at night.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

We’ve only had 15” of snow so far in the Twin Cities. I haven’t even used my snowblower this season. So I’m in Seattle for a week - going home on Tuesday - and I’m looking at the forecast for home. 11.7” of snow for Sunday, 3.9” of snow Monday. :shock:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:10 pm We’ve only had 15” of snow so far in the Twin Cities. I haven’t even used my snowblower this season. So I’m in Seattle for a week - going home on Tuesday - and I’m looking at the forecast for home. 11.7” of snow for Sunday, 3.9” of snow Monday. :shock:
Some years back, I posted on FB that today's Palm Sunday closing hymn was "In the bleak midwinter." I was watching outside during the service as the snow kept coming and coming. I think it ended up being 5 inches. The irony is that during the previous Christmas Eve service we were singing "In the bleak midwinter" while it was 55 out. :confuzzled:

We had 6 inches one Good Friday. I remembered it because I thought it might mean that I would be the only staff person there (I lived a block away then), so it would be a small simple service. People showed anyway. I also, for reasons that escape me, decided I should vacuum my place that morning. That's when my 40-year-old decided to "breathe its last." There was no resurrection for it on Sunday.
101010 :towel:
Whatever4

Weather Alerts

Post by Whatever4 »

Fun week in Maine. Big ice storm on Saturday left 220,000 customers without power. Considering there’s only 570,000 households in the state, it’s a Big Deal.

Trees and wires down everywhere. At the height of the storm, friends were reporting trees exploding. Local Facebook said exploding transformers gave a green glow to Portland.

Our building was an island of power in our neighborhood. Our lights never even flickered. (We learned a couple of years ago that we are on a different transformer.)
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

:shock:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

I was wondering how a lot of us fared over the last few days with the storm sweeping across the country. We didn't get any tornadoes or even the predicted high winds, but we did get record rain, about 4 inches (ca. 10 cm) over two days, but in 24 hours. Record flooding, and it's really a mess in flood-prone areas. Rain stopped for a while today, but temps are falling, and it's going from rain to snow overnight. But not like what's happening farther east.

And they started a new roof today, to be finished tomorrow (I hope).
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Weather Alerts

Post by Suranis »

8 hour stream about the Tornadoes on the 2nd, with chasers on the ground.

Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:34 pm I was wondering how a lot of us fared over the last few days with the storm sweeping across the country.
Yesterday it rained really hard for about ten minutes. :shrug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Whatever4

Weather Alerts

Post by Whatever4 »

We have about 7 inches of slushy white stuff. At the height, Maine had 380K customers without power, compared to 580K households. Evening news said half a million without power from the storm. So most were in Maine.

It’s all expected to melt by Eclipse Monday. In fact, the clearest skies in the eclipse path are supposed to be in Northern New England. So I’m imagining tourists mired in mud on back country roads. :batting:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

‘The levee is about to break’: Yazoo County subdivision asked to evacuate immediately

https://www.wlbt.com/2024/04/10/levee-i ... mediately/
YAZOO COUNTY, Miss. (WLBT) - Those living in a Yazoo County subdivision are being asked to evacuate “IMMEDIATELY!!!”

According to the sheriff’s office, the levee is about to break and will flood those living in the Eastbrook subdivision on Highway 16.

“Please get out ASAP!!!” the sheriff’s department wrote on Facebook.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazoo_County,_Mississippi
Yazoo County is a county located in the U.S. state of Mississippi. As of the 2020 census, the population was 26,743.[1] The county seat is Yazoo City.[2] It is named for the Yazoo River, which forms its western border. Its name is said to come from a Choctaw language word meaning "River of Death".[3][4]
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Mayor says Slidell tornado has caused most damage since Katrina

https://www.wafb.com/2024/04/10/mayor-s ... e-katrina/
First responders in Slidell said Wednesday (April 10) they were assessing probable tornado damage in the area.

The stretch of damage was near Old Spanish Trail and Highway 11, officials said. Many buildings and vehicles in the area appeared severely damaged by wind and flying debris.

“We haven’t seen this much damage since Hurricane Katrina,” Slidell Mayor Greg Cromer told Fox 8.

“At this time, we don’t have any reported injuries,” said St. Tammany Parish communications director Michael Vinsanau. “We do have damage that’s been reported. ... We have heavy rain throughout the area. This is something that’s impacting the entire parish.”

St. Tammany Parish Public School System spokesperson Meredith Mendez issued a statement at 1 p.m. that said Creekside Junior High was being utilized as a temporary shelter for storm victims.

“At this time, there is extensive damage in Slidell and flooding across St. Tammany Parish,” her statement said. “Power lines are down in many areas and more than a dozen of our schools are currently without power. Emergency officials are currently using Creekside Junior High as a temporary shelter for storm victims.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

elsewhere
Desert city of Dubai floods as UAE hit by heaviest rainfall in 75 years
City records over 142mm of rain in a day, about as much as it expects in a year and a half, as rain floods highways and homes

Reged Ahmad and agencies
Wed 17 Apr 2024 07.01 CEST

Heavy rains have hit the United Arab Emirates, flooding major highways and disrupting flights at Dubai international airport – in what the government has described as the largest amount of rainfall in the past 75 years.

The rains began on Monday night, and by Tuesday evening, more than 142mm (5.59in) had soaked the desert city of Dubai – normally the average amount it gets in a year and a half.

An average year sees 94.7 millimeters — or 3.73 inches — of rain at Dubai International Airport, the world’s busiest for international travel and a hub for the long-haul carrier Emirates.

Some inland areas of the UAE recorded more than 80mm (3.2in) of rain over 24 hours to 8am Tuesday, approaching the annual average of about 100mm. Rain is unusual in the UAE, on the arid Arabian Peninsula, but occurs periodically during the cooler winter months.

Homes were flooded and vehicles were abandoned on roadways across Dubai as authorities sent tanker trucks into the streets to pump away the water. Many roads and other areas lack drainage given the lack of regular rainfall.

Flagship shopping centres Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates both suffered flooding, with ankle-deep water in at least one Dubai Metro station, according to images posted on social media.

Lightning was seen flashing across the sky, occasionally touching the tip of the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... r-forecast
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

All the usual suspects of the chem trail variety are on and on that this is the result of a cloud seeding operation going awry. :lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”