US v. Trump - Espionage Act - (9:23-cr-80101) District Court, S.D. Florida

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

Will this case go to trial before the primary elections?

Yes, and it will be a wonderful circus
24%
No, Judge Cannon will dismiss the case on a motion to dismiss
5%
No, Trump’s attorneys will work out a plea bargain
2%
No, the case will be in the appeals court through the 2024 election
20%
No, Judge Cannon will grant numerous motions to delay the case
28%
No, this case will NEVER go to trial, but I don't know what will happen
8%
Some other option, which I will describe in a post.
3%
Debilitating brain aneurysm
11%

Total votes: 123

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/harrylitman/status/ ... 7815499216
Harry Litman
@harrylitman
fine to take the briefs--no problem --but the commentary that may be "of considerable help" to court is both gratuitous & 100% wrong, at least insofar as appointments clause challenge goes. Suggests she'll be going down a false alley again. She seems ever more to be a lost cause
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

chancery wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:31 pm https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/ ... 220732076
Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney
JUST IN: Judge Cannon says two amicus briefs filed by Trump-aligned lawyers "may be of considerable help" to her on Trump's motions to dismiss.

1 says NARA referral to DOJ was deficient: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .360.1.pdf

1 says Jack Smith appointment was invalid: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .364.1.pdf
Well this fills me with dread.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:32 pm
chancery wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:31 pm https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/ ... 220732076
Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney
JUST IN: Judge Cannon says two amicus briefs filed by Trump-aligned lawyers "may be of considerable help" to her on Trump's motions to dismiss.

1 says NARA referral to DOJ was deficient: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .360.1.pdf

1 says Jack Smith appointment was invalid: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .364.1.pdf
Well this fills me with dread.
I try to look at it as the fast track to the 11th Circuit.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I mean could she be more blatant?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Delay delay delay

Bought in full
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump allegedly held onto 70 boxes of classified documents – while telling staffer to claim all were returned

Gustaf Kilander
Fri, March 8, 2024 at 4:58 PM GMT+1·3 min read

Donald Trump allegedly held onto 70 boxes of classified documents while telling one of his staffers to claim that they were all returned.

In a Thursday filing in the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida in West Palm Beach, the Department of Justice opposed Trump staffer Walt Nauta’s motion to “suppress evidence”.

The prosecutors noted that Mr Nauta “had been a valet in the White House during Trump’s administration” and that he “previously held a high-level security clearance and received training in handling classified documents”.

“During his presidency, Trump used dozens of boxes to accumulate and store records in an informal filing system,” they added. “At the end of his presidency in January 2021, around 85 to 95 of these boxes were removed from the White House and transported to Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s residence in Palm Beach, Florida, where they were later placed in a storage room.”

Mr Nauta was part of the team that moved the boxes, prosecutors say.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-allege ... 41095.html
(original: The Independent)
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

‘Trump Employee 5,’ who unknowingly helped move classified documents, speaks out
A longtime Mar-a-Lago employee who is a central witness in the investigation into former President Donald Trump’s handling of classified documents is now speaking publicly because he believes that voters should hear the truth about his former boss and the case before the November election.

Brian Butler, who is referenced as “Trump Employee 5” in the classified documents indictment brought by special counsel Jack Smith, told CNN in an exclusive interview that he doesn’t believe the criminal case against Trump is a “witch hunt,” as the former president has claimed.

Butler gave testimony to federal investigators that informed crucial portions of last year’s criminal obstruction charges against Trump and his two co-defendants, Walt Nauta, a personal aide to Trump, and Carlos De Oliveira, a property manager at Mar-a-Lago who had been Butler’s closest friend until recently.

Butler, who was employed at Mar-a-Lago for 20 years, has spoken repeatedly with investigators, paying for his own attorney and breaking with the orbit around Trump that he knows so well – setting him apart from his former colleagues and friends as his former boss has been named in multiple federal investigations.

Butler told CNN how he unknowingly helped Nauta deliver boxes of classified information from Mar-a-Lago to the former president’s plane in June 2022 – the same day that Trump and his attorney were meeting with the Justice Department at Mar-a-Lago about the classified documents.

:snippity:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/11/politics ... index.html
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Dave from down under

If not already
He needs to be in a witness protection program
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Wouldn't this seem to confirm that he's got classified docs in other locations? An Escalade can hold a hell of a lot of banker's boxes. I know we all were sure he did anyway, but this makes it all but certain, IMO.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:06 pm If not already
He needs to be in a witness protection program
That's been all over twitter--that he needs protection.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

FBI needs to do a search in Bedminster and DOJ needs to file a case in NJ
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Stay away from tall buildings with open windows...
Dave from down under

And tea
And umbrellas
And..
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Also from that article -
Butler proved to be a valuable witness for Smith’s team. Given his long history at Trump’s club, Butler shed light on potentially critical instances related to the disclosure of classified information.

At one point in his interviews, Butler says he told investigators that Australian billionaire Anthony Pratt repeated classified submarine secrets following a conversation with Trump in spring 2021.

Pratt met with Trump and heard from the former president about US and Russian submarines at their meeting, then relayed that information to his chief of staff while in the backseat of Butler’s car. Butler later told investigators he was shocked that Trump would share such information with a foreign citizen who paid excessive sums for access to Mar-a-Lago.

Butler says he believes the relationship was indicative of how a club member sought access to Trump once he became president.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Yikes. And infuriating. I'm glad my son was off his sub by 2021, but I think about all the personnel still serving. They have a dangerous job. My son knew I'd forget something 5 minutes after he told me, but I was always curious about sub life...he wouldn't even tell me how deep he could go.

trump is the guy who'll blab anything to show off what he knows, with absolutely no care or understanding about the importance of the info he's blabbing about.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Dragging it out
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know this is crazy and it’s the pot talking, but is there a one in a billion chance Cannon wants out and is trying to get thrown off? She’s damned if she does and she’s damned if she doesn’t. She can do Trump‘s bidding hoping to be removed (without angering MAGA) in the hope she can restore her reputation in the future or she can do the right thing and have her entire family’s safety threatened.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Fucking traitor Trump
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I thought that was already known (that he'd spilled to Pratt).
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:00 pm I know this is crazy and it’s the pot talking, but is there a one in a billion chance Cannon wants out and is trying to get thrown off? She’s damned if she does and she’s damned if she doesn’t. She can do Trump‘s bidding hoping to be removed (without angering MAGA) in the hope she can restore her reputation in the future or she can do the right thing and have her entire family’s safety threatened.
There's a chance. On the other hand, anyone accepting a Federal judgeship should be smart enough to know it can be a dangerous job (after all, you're dealing with dangerous criminals at times). That said, apparently that danger has gotten much, much worse, thank you MAGA.

https://news.yahoo.com/serious-threats- ... 22219.html
bob

Post by bob »

And: If I were Cannon and I wanted off the case, I'd do a noisy recusal and implicitly blame the prosecutor, e.g.:

"The aspersions in the prosecutor's motion suggested this court has acted inappropriately. The court disagrees, but due to this unfortunate situation, the court has no option but to recuse to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, etc."

With the added bonus that the unhinged will create a conspiracy, e.g., "the prosecutor told the judge he has pictures of her dad in a compromised position, which were just fakes cooked up in a FBI lab."
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dang - don't tell me that her dad had also a very special suite in a Moscow hotel :violin: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

► Show Spoiler

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”