The General thread for Computers And Internet

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:51 pm I looked out the window and saw an unfamiliar white pickup truck over by the Guest House and pointed it out to my Mister. So we rode over on the 4 wheeler to see who it was and what they were doing here. AND AND AND…
► Show Spoiler
:dance:

We're starting to look for what will probably be our last house. We want something much smaller than this house, non-HOA, maybe a bit further out where I can get a lot large enough to build a proper shop away from the house a bit. But further out frequently means giving up wired internet which would be a HUGE problem for both of us. Maybe there's hope. ;)
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:51 pm I looked out the window and saw an unfamiliar white pickup truck over by the Guest House and pointed it out to my Mister. So we rode over on the 4 wheeler to see who it was and what they were doing here. AND AND AND…
► Show Spoiler
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:cheer1: :cheer1: :cheer1:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

When you say wired, do you mean fiber?
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:38 pm When you say wired, do you mean fiber?
Yes :thumbsup:
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:22 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:38 pm When you say wired, do you mean fiber?
Yes :thumbsup:
We’re getting it next week. I cut cable years ago, but had to use DSL until now.
I can’t wait. They pushed the fiber to the house last week. Now waiting for final connection. No more overhead copper lines!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:29 pm
► Show Spoiler
Hidden Content
I know they have access to utility easements and such, but dont they have to notify before entering your property?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

keith wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:23 pm
► Show Spoiler
Hidden Content
I know they have access to utility easements and such, but dont they have to notify before entering your property?
Not that I'm aware of. Out here everyone is pretty laid back.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

keith wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:23 pm
► Show Spoiler
Hidden Content
I don't think so. We have meter readers every month who have to come on our property to read the gas meter at the back of the house, and the power company comes through every couple of years to trim trees and they have to go into people's yards to do it.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

IEEE 802.11be or WiFi 7

IEEE 802.11be, dubbed Extremely High Throughput (EHT), is the latest of the IEEE 802.11 standard,[8][9] which is designated Wi-Fi 7.[10][11][12] It has built upon 802.11ax, focusing on WLAN indoor and outdoor operation with stationary and pedestrian speeds in the 2.4, 5, and 6 GHz frequency bands.[13]

Throughput is believed to reach a theoretical maximum of 46 Gbit/s, although actual results are much lower.[14]

Development of the 802.11be amendment is ongoing, with an initial draft in March 2021, and a final version expected by the end of 2024.[11][15][16] Despite this, numerous products were announced in 2022 based on draft standards, with retail availability in early 2023. On 8 January 2024, the Wi-Fi Alliance introduced its "Wi-Fi Certified 7" program to certify Wi-Fi 7 devices. While final ratification is not expected until the end of 2024, the technical requirements are essentially complete.[14]

The global Wi-Fi 7 market is estimated at US$1 billion in 2023, and is projected to reach US$24.2 billion by 2030.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

from NeatGear - they already think of WiFi the best since sliced bread - while I have hardly seen WiFi 6 in the wild
WiFi 7 Vs WiFi 6. More Speed & Capacity

WRITTEN BY
Ravindra Bhilave, Sr. Director, Product Management

HOW IS WIFI 7 DIFFERENT FROM WIFI 6/6E?

WiFi 7 offers benefits that are a quantum leap forward from WiFi 6 and WiFi 6E. With its faster speeds, lower latency, and significant capacity increases, WiFi 7 the new wireless standard is a major evolution of WiFi 6 and 6E, bears much in common with those earlier standards but with some significant improvements to meet our growing requirements. What has changed, what is still the same, and when should you upgrade? Let’s have a look.

LEARN MORE: WHAT IS WIFI 7?
  • What’s new in the WiFI 7 Standard?
    46Gbps – 4.8X FASTER SPEED
    Up to 2.4x Faster for the same WiFi configuration
    320MHz – 2X BANDWIDTH
    4096 QAM – X DATA DENSITY
Faster speeds

Most exciting and noteworthy, WiFi 7 will be much faster than WiFi 6. For the same WiFi radio configuration, the speeds will be 2.4x faster. So, maximum speeds with a typical mobile phone with WiFi 7 can reach up to 5Gbps. As the Internet speed offered by internet service providers (ISPs) continues to grow, WiFi 7 helps to ensure your home is ready for 10 Gigabit internet speeds as they become available.

But what makes these incredible speeds possible? They’re due to the next two major upgrades.

Greater channel width

Each WiFi band operates in smaller bands of 20/40/80/160MHz MHz for connecting to individual devices. WiFi 7 doubles the bandwidth to 320MHz. Effectively, this doubles the WIFi speeds to individual devices and adds a lot more bandwidth to support more devices.

More data density

WiFi 7 increases not only speed and bandwidth but also the amount of data that can be encoded onto a radio signal. This is measured by a standard known as quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM). Where WiFi 6’s QAM limit was 1024, WiFi 7 offers an impressive 4096 (or 4K; the standard is also known as 4K QAM), boosting its peak rates to increase throughput. Each symbol transmitted can now carry 12 bits rather than 10 bits, meaning 20% higher theoretical transmission rates.

Both the greater channel bandwidth (320MHz) and more data density (4K QAM) account for the 2.4x improvement in WiFi speeds between WiFi 6 and WiFi 7.

Other significant Improvements in WiFi 7

Multi-Link Operation (MLO)

Currently routers can support multiple WiFi bands- 2.4, 5 & 6GHz, but WiFi clients connect using one of the WiFi bands. With WiFi 7, routers will be able to connect across two different bands to a client device.

Imagine two highways leading to your destination. MLO is similar to giving these highways the flexibility to either spread the traffic across both routes or to quickly move traffic from one highway to another if one gets congested.

Mesh systems would especially benefit from MLO as it would allow for a router and a satellite both capable of transmitting simultaneously across two different bands to get the best performance. This feature will also be very useful for switching from one band to another on your mobile device without losing the connection. If you are on a Zoom call and walk from the center of the house to the backyard, WiFi 7 will allow your device to switch from 6GHz to 5GHz to 2.4GHz without dropping the call or buffering.

Flexible channel utilization

One key limitation with WiFi is that any kind of interference impacts the entire channel. With “puncturing,” if a portion of a channel gets impacted due to interference, that portion alone can be blocked while continuing to use rest of the channel for data transfer. This makes WiFi more resistant to interference and ensures critical flow and latency are not impacted. Going back to our highway example, using WiFi 6 a pothole in a lane can make that lane unusable, but with WiFi 7 you can block the pothole and drive around and still use rest of the lane.

What hasn’t changed?
  • SAME THREE BANDS
    LIGHTNING-FAST SPEEDS
    MASSIVE BANDWIDTH
    LIMITED DEVICE SUPPORT
With WiFi 7’s incredible specs, it’s easy to overlook the fact that it builds on WiFi 6 & 6E features and infrastructure. As noted above, WiFi 6 and WiFi 7 both offer the same three bands, including the lightning-fast 6GHz band. Both feature tremendous bandwidth. And both WiFi 6E and WiFi 7 have technology providers still playing catch-up, with new devices being introduced to unlock the full potential of either standard. Even in the shadow of the forthcoming WiFi 7, WiFi 6E should still be considered a cutting-edge technology.

https://www.netgear.com/hub/technology/ ... vs-wifi-6/
tek

Post by tek »

Throughput is believed to reach a theoretical maximum of 46 Gbit/s, although actual results are much lower.
Same as it ever was.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

DMVs Nationwide Hit With Outage, Officials In Multiple States Say

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... cb4d8b4d76
All motor vehicle departments in the United States went down Thursday, according to officials in multiple states.

Officials in Illinois, Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Arkansas and Colorado all confirmed they experienced an outage.

"We are currently experiencing a nationwide network outage at our DMV facilities," tweeted Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias. "All DMVs across the country are currently down."

Virginia's DMV said the outage stemmed from "a third-party technical outage," and that driver's license services were unavailable online and at all in-person locations.

"We apologize for the inconvenience. Please stay tuned to social media for updates," the agency said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

DMV services disrupted nationwide over system outage
The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators said the outage was due to “a loss in cloud connectivity” on Thursday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dm ... rcna144496
The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, a nongovernmental group that provides software to DMV offices, said Thursday: “The network that connects motor vehicle agencies across the United States to each other and to various verification services experienced an outage due to a loss in cloud connectivity.”

The outage lasted from 9:50 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. EDT, a spokesperson for the AAMVA said.

"During that time, there was no ability to process messages that support transactions of driver licenses and motor vehicle titles. This prevented a number of motor vehicle agencies from issuing driver licenses and vehicle titles during the outage," the AAMVA said, noting it was working internally and with cloud providers to determine the "root cause" of the outage.

AAMVA said that connectivity was restored to nearly all states as of 2 p.m. EDT, noting “the outage had nothing to do with software — strictly connectivity.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:52 pm DMVs Nationwide Hit With Outage, Officials In Multiple States Say

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... cb4d8b4d76
All motor vehicle departments in the United States went down Thursday, according to officials in multiple states.

Officials in Illinois, Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Arkansas and Colorado all confirmed they experienced an outage.

"We are currently experiencing a nationwide network outage at our DMV facilities," tweeted Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias. "All DMVs across the country are currently down."

Virginia's DMV said the outage stemmed from "a third-party technical outage," and that driver's license services were unavailable online and at all in-person locations.

"We apologize for the inconvenience. Please stay tuned to social media for updates," the agency said.
This may have been much bigger than just a couple of state DMV's. We suffered a major network outage today that was giving big problems with our cloud services and other stuff. Apparently, it was a problem with external service providers, not internal to us. The notification said that there was a major cable cut and the network/cloud provider was having trouble rerouting traffic.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Today was one of the few days we didn't have issues with providers.

Everything is backward in my world.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

EU investigates Apple, Meta and Google owner Alphabet under new tech law
Technology groups face hefty fines if they are found guilty of breaching Digital Markets Act

Dan Milmo and Lisa O'Carroll
Mon 25 Mar 2024 14.17 CET

Apple, Google’s parent company and Meta are being investigated by the EU for potential breaches of the bloc’s new laws designed to police anti-competitive behaviour by big technology companies.

The trio face significant fines if they are found guilty of breaching the Digital Markets Act (DMA), a landmark piece of regulation that came into force on 7 March and is aimed at increasing choice for online consumers.

The European Commission, the EU’s executive arm, said it was looking at potential breaches related to: Apple and Google’s measures allowing app developers to “steer” users to offers outside their app stores; whether Alphabet, Google’s owner, favours its own services such as Google shopping in search results on its search engine; Meta’s decision to charge users for an ad-free experience on Facebook and Instagram and whether it complies with DMA provisions on users’ personal data; and whether Apple is making it easy for users to pick alternative browsers on their phones.

“The commission suspects that the measures put in place by these gatekeepers fall short of effective compliance of their obligations under the DMA,” said the commission.

The law requires the six tech “gatekeepers” – Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Meta, Microsoft and the TikTok owner ByteDance, which provide services such as search engines, social networks and chat apps used by other businesses – to comply with guidance to ensure a level playing field for their rivals and to give users more choices.

Thierry Breton, the commissioner for the internal market, said the companies faced the threat of “heavy fines” if they were found to have breached the act.

“The Digital Markets Act became applicable on 7 March,” he said. “We have been in discussions with gatekeepers for months to help them adapt, and we can already see changes happening on the market. But we are not convinced that the solutions by Alphabet, Apple and Meta respect their obligations for a fairer and more open digital space for European citizens and businesses.”

The competition commissioner, Margrethe Vestager, said the companies had had plenty of time to comply with the act, adding that the commission had worked with them to ensure they were compliant.

“I definitely do not think this is rushed,” Vestager told reporters. She said the point of the new laws was “not to have cases” but to give consumers choices to which they were entitled under competition laws.

“The soon we have changes, the sooner consumers can have the benefit of having the DMA,” she said. She said the EU had put in place “strong deterrents” to encourage tech companies to take their obligations seriously with hefty fines for those that failed to meet the standards required.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... arkets-act
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:54 pm This may have been much bigger than just a couple of state DMV's. We suffered a major network outage today that was giving big problems with our cloud services and other stuff. Apparently, it was a problem with external service providers, not internal to us. The notification said that there was a major cable cut and the network/cloud provider was having trouble rerouting traffic.
In the wake of CYA2K, after the Telecom Meltdown of 2001, we snapped up as much dark fiber in the dirt as we could afford. We stitched together physically separate paths from the pieces, and then sold it.

We forecast the need in the 90's, but we stayed out of the mad rush. There was a ton of speculation that ended in Chapter 7 leaving assets worth millions that could be bought for pennies on the dollar. We poured over maps looking for the bits that could become interties beteen major markets, bid on those sections, built out the rest, and then had a broker present them to potential buyers. We made good margins.

The Feds were the biggest customer. They had been burned too many times paying for discrete paths from multiple vendors only to discover by backhoe that all these resellers were passing traffic together in the same bundle. Separate media - same conduit. Network redundancy goes out the window. Philly to SLC to Seattle to SF was the longest one we built. A lot of travel time that year.

Good times.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

put on your preferred sneakers and rush to overtake the bits and bytes ...
Scientists set new internet speed world record 300 million mbps!
New method of transmitting data uses previously unexplored wavelengths

Akash Pandey
Apr 01, 2024 06:28 pm

What's the story

A team of scientists from Aston University in the UK has achieved a groundbreaking feat in data transmission, setting a new global benchmark. In collaboration with Japan's National Institute of Information and Communications Technology and Nokia Bell Labs in the US, they successfully transferred data at an unprecedented speed of 301 million megabits per seconds.

This speed is 4.5 million times faster than the average broadband speed in the UK and surpasses the US average by one million times.

Technological innovation

Novel wavelength bands key to speed achievement

The secret behind this remarkable achievement lies in the use of innovative wavelength bands, not typically used in conventional fiber optic systems.

Ian Phillips, a researcher at Aston University, explained that these new wavelength bands can be compared to "different colors of light being transmitted down the optical fiber."

The data was sent via an optical fiber using two additional spectral bands known as E-band and S-band, in addition to the commercially available C and L-bands.

Amplifier innovation

University engineered breakthrough optical amplifier

Aston University has developed an optical amplifier that allows data wavelengths to operate in the E-band, which is about three times broader compared to traditional wavelengths used for data transmission.

This achievement marks the first time E-band channels have been successfully replicated in a controlled environment.

The innovative approach doesn't require new infrastructure, potentially enabling significantly faster internet speeds using existing fiber cables.

https://www.newsbytesapp.com/news/scien ... cord/story
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

US Federal Data Privacy Law Introduced by Legislators

8 APR 2024
Written by James Coker

A bipartisan US federal data protection law has been drafted by two US lawmakers, aiming to codify and enforce privacy rights for all US citizens.

Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA 5th District) who is the House Committee on Energy and Commerce Chair, and Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA), the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation Chair, unveiled the draft legislation on April 7, 2024.

They have dubbed the draft bill the American Privacy Rights Act.

The national law aims give US citizens greater control over their personal data, limiting the ability of big tech firms to process, transfer and sell such information.

It also mandates stronger cybersecurity standards for organizations to protect personal data they hold from being hacked or stolen, giving enforcement powers to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), States and individuals for any violations.

Key provisions in the draft Act include:
  • Minimizing the data that companies can collect, keep, and use about people, of any age, to what companies actually need to provide them products and services
    More powers for citizens to control how their personal data is used, such as preventing the transfer or selling of their data, opting out of data processing if a company changes its privacy policy, and
    Requiring organizations to obtain express consent before sensitive data can be transferred to a third party
    Banning companies from using people’s personal information to discriminate against them in decisions about housing, employment, healthcare, credit opportunities, education, insurance, or access to places of public accommodation
    Giving individuals the right to sue organizations who violate their privacy rights
    Mandating strong data security standards that will prevent data from being hacked or stolen
    Authorizes the Federal Trade Commission, States, and consumers to enforce against violations
Rodgers commented: “This landmark legislation gives Americans the right to control where their information goes and who can sell it. It reins in Big Tech by prohibiting them from tracking, predicting, and manipulating people’s behaviors for profit without their knowledge and consent. Americans overwhelmingly want these rights, and they are looking to us, their elected representatives, to act.”

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/n ... gislators/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:01 am
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:46 pm We have an Epson wide format ink tank printer
Ol' Wifehorn bought one of those. Six weeks later it got a paper jam. That can't be fixed by the consumer. I won't tell a long story, but we will never buy an Epson product again. Ever.

It isn't even a good paperweight. :blackeye:
So we got most of our money back on the Epson ink tank printer. They didn't want it back. I still haven't thrown it out, it breaks my heart to throw away an entire printer worth hundreds of dollars, just because it has a paper jam that I can't fix and nobody else wants to fix it. That's stupid.

Anyway, ol' Wifehorn decided to try again, this time she bought a HP ink tank printer, and I set it up yesterday. We'll see!
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

I have an HP. They nickel-dime you with the price of their ink. I subscribe to Instant Ink, but I question the value of that since I hardly use the printer. Even the large store-bought cartridges don't last for squat.
Largo al factotum.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

At the height of the open enrollment period, ol' Wifehorn and I generate dozens of printed pages every day, which go into our permanent client files. We're not paperless, but we can document everything that ever happened on a client's insurance. We desperately need an ink tank printer that doesn't become a brick because of a stupid paper jam.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
tek

Post by tek »

IMHO I'd get a low-mid-range HP laser.
They 'just work' in my experience, the B/W toner cost/page is pretty low .. and the toner doesn't go bad or have to go through printhead-cleaning-ink-wasting cycles.

Return to “Computers and Internet”