Spring forward?

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Spring forward?

Post by northland10 »

Living north where the time the sun is up is less, and also very close to the time zone line all of my life (one side or another), I actually like the change (though not really at 4pm darkness in December but location, location).

I did like the change in the prior position better.
101010 :towel:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Spring forward?

Post by poplove »

Walt Tuttle wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:11 pm I had a clock radio/cd-player that was hard-coded to the previous set of DST rules. No way to disable. So I had to change my clock four times a year and was usually surprised whenever it switched on its own.

Another clock would be set by the WWVB signal from Colorado. It would automatically adjust and display the correct time on Sunday. But then come Monday it would be switched back to the previous time. By Tuesday it would correct itself and be fine from there on out. Every single time. Like clockwork.
I have three atomic clocks. Right after the change, two will go back to standard time in the spring and daylight time in the fall every day at 5pm and/or 5am, even after I reset them. After about a week they settle in. The digital one will flicker back and forth for a few days.
Kendra

Spring forward?

Post by Kendra »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:40 pm You can count me in the dump DST column.
Me too.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Spring forward?

Post by keith »

I dont like how my curtains fade during DST.

And you should see how it drives the cows crazy.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Spring forward?

Post by Maybenaut »

The only time I didn’t like DST was in Alaska. Where I lived, it didn’t get dark til after midnight in the summer. Kids were outside my window playing when I was trying to sleep (get off my lawn!). But they liked DST (they called it ADT) because it was hard enough to do business with the lower 48, especially the east coast in regular time, and DST in the rest of the U.S. pushed AK even further behind (although Hawaii manages).

Here on the east coast I kinda like it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Spring forward?

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, this sounds a little crazy, but I remember thinking in mid-May when it got dark about 8 PM in Hawaii that they could use a little daylight savings time. :think:

If they did away with it completely, I wouldn't care. I just think that it starts too early and ends too late these days. The movement seems to be to change it to permanent.

Blame trains. It was the need for consistent schedules that started it all, I believe.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reddog

Spring forward?

Post by Reddog »

Thanks Maybe, kids playing later is one of my peeves, also. I think that it’s harder to get them in to do homework, etc. I’m trying to come up with an alternative name something like Sleeptime Stealing Time. People still need to get up at the same time, but if they are encouraged to stay wound up because of an extra hour of daylight, ergo 1 hour less sleep.

Another major annoyance was; during commutes there were 2 times during the year when the sun would be on the horizon and making it hard to keep the glare off the windshield. Now with the sun rising an hour later it makes an extra time when the commute sun would be low in the sky during the commute.

I guess you can’t please everyone.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Spring forward?

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Reddog wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 pm Thanks Maybe, kids playing later is one of my peeves, also. I think that it’s harder to get them in to do homework, etc. I’m trying to come up with an alternative name something like Sleeptime Stealing Time. People still need to get up at the same time, but if they are encouraged to stay wound up because of an extra hour of daylight, ergo 1 hour less sleep.

Another major annoyance was; during commutes there were 2 times during the year when the sun would be on the horizon and making it hard to keep the glare off the windshield. Now with the sun rising an hour later it makes an extra time when the commute would be low in the sky during the commute.

I guess you can’t please everyone.
9 years of driving the Lodge Freeway in Detroit.
Reddog

Spring forward?

Post by Reddog »

Oops edited above:
Now with the sun rising an hour later it makes an extra time when the commute sun would be low in the sky during the commute.
Reddog

Spring forward?

Post by Reddog »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 pm :snippity:

9 years of driving the Lodge Freeway in Detroit.
Off Topic
► Show Spoiler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Spring forward?

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Off Topic
A lot of towns are named after locations the original settlers came from. Michigan doesn't have a lot of hills and heights, but Appalachia does.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Spring forward?

Post by raison de arizona »

Reddog wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:54 pm I agree with Rolodex. I am mainly against changing the clocks at all. My preference would be to not have daylight saving time. Also too, I seem to be in the minority in that regard.
More than once I’ve agreed with other people when they said they were against daylight saving time, only to find out that they actually thought daylight saving time was standard time. Other times when I was contacting vendors, or service departments, and their website would say e.g. PST during the summer I needed to verify that they actually meant PDT for hours.
Being in AZ, and working SF hours, I would prefer for them to settle on PDT.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Spring forward?

Post by keith »

Reddog wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:47 pm Oops edited above:
Now with the sun rising an hour later it makes an extra time when the commute sun would be low in the sky during the commute.
Thats why folks who live on the west side of town are called squinters.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Lani

Spring forward?

Post by Lani »

I love to never change my watches and clocks. One more great thing in Hawaii. :dance:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10

Spring forward?

Post by northland10 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:32 am
Off Topic
A lot of towns are named after locations the original settlers came from. Michigan doesn't have a lot of hills and heights, but Appalachia does.
Hello..

It is not Appalachia but west Michigan, especially the northernwest lower Michigan gets rather hilly.

I spent 8 years driving into the sun where it would be in my eyes, then blocked by a hill, then in my eyes. etc. I would then come over a hill to the town I lived in and see down into the town and that flat piece beyound it (called a Great Lake).

I then moved to really flat world I still lived west of where I worked so had to do the squinting thing multiple times a year.

Now I have an N-S commute, of 10 feet (or a few blocks to the church to practice and Sunday morning).
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Spring forward?

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm Blame trains. It was the need for consistent schedules that started it all, I believe.
Trains created time zones. WWII created DST.
Suranis

Spring forward?

Post by Suranis »

People say it was for the farmers, but it wasn't. Farmers absolutely hate it.
Hic sunt dracones
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Spring forward?

Post by Reality Check »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:10 am :snippity:
It was observed during both WWI and WWII. It goes back further than that.

I am not a fan of DST. Nature gives us the extra hour or so of daylight in the summer (at least at higher latitudes). Changing clocks doesn't provide a single extra minute of daylight. I believe there are studies that show DST has a negative effect on health overall.
tek

Spring forward?

Post by tek »

I like DST.
It gives me something to complain about.
And get off my lawn!
/s
AndyinPA
Verified:

Spring forward?

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:10 am
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm Blame trains. It was the need for consistent schedules that started it all, I believe.
:bag:

:rotflmao:

Absolutely right!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Spring forward?

Post by northland10 »

I don't know if I want sunrise at 4:15am in June.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Spring forward?

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:21 pm I don't know if I want sunrise at 4:15am in June.
Blackout curtains work wonders.
northland10

Spring forward?

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:57 pm
northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:21 pm I don't know if I want sunrise at 4:15am in June.
Blackout curtains work wonders.
It would not wake me up necessarily since I fall asleep with lights on and the TV going, but it would really confusing.
Reddog

Spring forward?

Post by Reddog »

It’s great if you’re a farmer, roofer, construction…. I could go on. Get daylight to work without the oppressive heat of late afternoon. Lots of advantages.
Before daylight saving time came to be we would play until streetlights came on. Maybe catch lightning bugs. Then hunt worms. And still be in bed by 9:30 pm central time. After daylight saving it would be 10:30 pm. But we still had to be in bed, especially if school was still in session. Daylight wasted time, because we had to be in bed while still daylight.
It’s not just the 1 day when the clocks change, messed up sleep for me all summer.

I could go on, but as someone once said something like “Early to bed, early to rise…,” dwt works against that timeless proverb.

I understand where others have a different perspective, but if it came to a vote I would probably be on the losing side. It’s not as important as this presidential election.
MN-Skeptic

Spring forward?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I've always lived in the Upper Midwest (Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota) and I would love to have DST all year round.

I HATE having the sun set at 4:30pm during the winter. With all the cold and cloudy days, it just adds to the relentless gloominess. Yeah, sunrise would shift from 7:50am to 8:50am, but my eyes are only half open at that time anyway.

DST in the summer makes for a 5:30am sunrise and a 9pm sunset. That's the way summer should be.

By the way, I can't fathom how it would be at the equator. My sister has a friend who lives near the equator in Uganda. Imagine every day having 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness with the sun basically right overhead.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”