State of the Union Address - March 7, 2024

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

much ado wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:03 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:44 pm she lied

the story happened IN Mexico during BUSH
Did she know she was lying, or did she just re-echo something she had heard in the right wing echo chamber without checking? I mean, was this a commonly told story by conservatives?
Of course she knew. She heard the story straight from the victims mouth at a press conference she termed a roundtable discussion with two other GOP Senators present..

In her remarks she carefulli avoided directly saying where and when, but she implied it. She has been retelling the story for years, so she has had lots of practise.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

She sounded as if someone needed to give her a glass of water and tissue
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Katy Britt will double down.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Check out SNL’s cold open. It’s great. Scarlett Johansson plays Katie Britt.

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Given that she's married to Colin Jost, I wonder how formal the ask was: "Like, hey, hon, we had this idea at the office..." "I'm in!"
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:35 am Given that she's married to Colin Jost, I wonder how formal the ask was: "Like, hey, hon, we had this idea at the office..." "I'm in!"
Or, "Damn, Colin, I gotta do this on SNL."
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I did not watch the actual Katie Republican response, but I feel I got the entire gist of it from the SNL cold open. :lol:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

The SNL kitchen had kitcheny stuff on the counter. The Britt's kitchen looked like an empty sales demo at Home Depot. There wasn't a toaster on her counter. No hot pads above the stove. Not even a window. And she should get a violation for excessive use of beige.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:04 am I did not watch the actual Katie Republican response, but I feel I got the entire gist of it from the SNL cold open. :lol:
Oh... the original is so much worse. I was sorry ScarJo didn't use the weird breathy baby voice like Katie did.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:21 pm https://twitter .com/mattxiv/status/1766593298909528076
I might have seen that Johnson had the same look during SOTU (stunned).
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ion-biden/
Sen. Katie Boyd Britt (R-Ala.), who delivered the Republican rebuttal to President Biden’s State of the Union address, pushed back against criticisms that she falsely linked a harrowing account of a young woman’s sex trafficking to Biden’s immigration policies, even though the abuse happened nearly 20 years ago and in Mexico.

The host of “Fox News Sunday,” Shannon Bream, asked Britt if she meant to “give the impression that this horrible story happened on President Biden’s watch.”

Britt replied “no” before defensively explaining that she was speaking about the executive actions on the border that Biden took in his first 100 days as president.

Edited to add a free link.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-rebuttal
In her first interview since delivering her widely ridiculed rebuttal to Joe Biden’s State of the Union speech, Republican senator Katie Britt refused to apologize for invoking a story about child rape that she implied resulted from the president’s handling of the ongoing crisis at the southern US border – even though the abuse occurred years earlier in Mexico while her party controlled the White House.

Britt, 42, appeared on Fox News Sunday and denied hiding the fact that the rape and sex trafficking case to which she referred had actually occurred during the presidency of George W Bush. She also made it a point to criticize what she called “the liberal media” for how they have covered her rebuttal to Biden’s speech on Thursday, which earned being parodied on the latest episode of Saturday Night Live.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Kinda subtle that everyone has switched to talking about the idiot, and forgotten about Biden's killer speech, isn't it.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Michelle "Jehova Ghaad" Bachman
Christine "I Am Not a Witch" O'Donnell
Mrs. Johnson (I. Can't. Even.)
Katie Britt

I suppose MSM won't notice this insidious pocket of Christofascism.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:21 pm https: //twitter.com/i/status/1720927778155995512

https: //www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/katie-b ... r-BB1jzakt
Wow. Learn something new everyday. Fundie baby voice. Never knew about it, and yet I've heard it a number of times.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:01 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:21 pm https: //twitter.com/i/status/1720927778155995512

Wow. Learn something new everyday. Fundie baby voice. Never knew about it, and yet I've heard it a number of times.
Never heard of it. Maybe have heard it but wouldn't know what it was.

Do these women have to alter their normal voices?

To Suranis's point about SOTU, I saw something about Joe Biden needing to get in front of the American people more. I wonder if he's been held back because of his history of gaffes, which age isn't going to help. But I've been thinking, and someone else mentioned it on twitter, he should do weekly fireside chats. He seems to be an extreme extrovert who's likable. Maybe something like fireside chats would put to rest the notion he's a senile yet evil and effective criminal mastermind. :roll: And he could push on the border bill, which seems like the only issue Republicans have left--and they have to dredge up something that happened in Mexico two decades ago. And for every Laken Riley there's an American right-winger being arrested for sexual abuse of a minor-- or so it seems.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Do these women have to alter their normal voices?
Yes, they do. I don't know where I saw it, but another site had two videos, one of her speaking earlier in the day and the one of the speech. Her voice was decidedly different in each. I guess it was decided that her audience were the fundie moms.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Women have been altering their voices to sound younger, sexier, helpless or whatever since the dawn of time. Sometimes it's a protection, sometimes it's a was to gain power, sometimes it's just cultural.

The whispery cult thing is nonetheless shocking to me. I went out of my way to listen to Katie speaking in her normal voice today. Yes, she has a normal voice.

These people are sick.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Margaret Thatcher famously made her voice deeper when she became a Minister.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Interesting article on the voice. https://jesspiper.substack.com/p/the-fundie-baby-voice

Also, interesting that she (somewhat) dropped it for the F@$ interview. Although at one point in the middle-ish she gets breathy for no reason. Unless she's asthmatic. Or something.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Suranis wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:08 pm Margaret Thatcher famously made her voice deeper when she became a Minister.
Like Elizabeth Holmes of Theranos. Her voice got weirdly deep.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:01 pm

Mama Dugger big time
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Wahtc shiny happy people

Be prepared to vomit

Return to “Biden Administration”