Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Air Travel - Flying the Friendly Skies

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... ht-maggots

Delta flight turns back after maggots fall on passengers from overhead bin

Unhappiness with air travel took a new turn when maggots rained down on passengers on a Delta flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, Michigan, on Tuesday.

A passenger reportedly brought rotten fish on to the plane in a carry-on bag, and placed it in an overhead bin, before the maggots broke free and rained on to passengers seated below, the Independent reported.

Philip Schotte, a Netherlands native who lives in Iowa, told local news Fox 2 that he saw at least a dozen maggots falling on a woman mid-flight.

“I don’t really know what was going through my mind. I was trying to process it – disgust is one thing of course,” Schotte told the outlet. “We had to wait there for help to actually come.”

Schotte recalled that the flight attendants tracked the maggots to a passenger’s bag in the overhead compartments and found a fish wrapped in a newspaper. After the man it belonged to claimed it, Schotte said flight attendants took it away and the pilot announced that the flight would be returning to the Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.

In a statement given to Fox 2, Delta apologized to its passengers: “Their trip was interrupted due to an improperly packed carry-on bag. The aircraft returned to the gate and passengers were placed on the next available flight. The aircraft was removed from service for cleaning.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/19/12323250 ... ver-800-mp
Strong high-altitude winds over the Mid-Atlantic sped up sky traffic on Saturday night, getting passengers on at least two commercial planes to their destinations early, after both aircraft hit supersonic speeds topping 800 mph.

Winds at cruising altitude peaked at about 265 mph, according to the Washington, D.C., area National Weather Service office — the second-highest wind speed logged in the region since recordings began in 1948. The highest-ever wind speed recorded in the area at a similar altitude was 267 mph on Dec. 6, 2002.

"For those flying eastbound in this jet, there will be quite a tail wind," the NWS warned in a tweet.

Sure enough, that tailwind helped cut down the flight time for passengers on a Virgin Atlantic flight from D.C. to London by 45 minutes, according to the tracker FlightAware.

The Boeing 787 reached a maximum ground speed of 802 mph, surpassing the speed of sound (767 mph). But, as The Washington Post explained, the plane didn't actually break the sound barrier.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:05 pm https://www.npr.org/2024/02/19/12323250 ... ver-800-mp
Strong high-altitude winds over the Mid-Atlantic sped up sky traffic on Saturday night, getting passengers on at least two commercial planes to their destinations early, after both aircraft hit supersonic speeds topping 800 mph.
[...]
The Boeing 787 reached a maximum ground speed of 802 mph, surpassing the speed of sound (767 mph). But, as The Washington Post explained, the plane didn't actually break the sound barrier.
Stupid, stupid, stupid journalists.
That's not how supersonic works.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

"Although its ground speed — a measure that combines the plane's actual speed and the additional push from the wind — was greater than the speed of sound, it was still moving through the surrounding air at its ordinary cruise speed. It just so happened that the surrounding air was moving unusually fast," the Post reported.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:05 pm https://www.npr.org/2024/02/19/12323250 ... ver-800-mp
Sure enough, that tailwind helped cut down the flight time for passengers on a Virgin Atlantic flight from D.C. to London by 45 minutes, according to the tracker FlightAware.
In a former life I made a single US business trip to the US. On Christmas eve my flight from Boston to Zurich (the one in Switzerland) arrived one hour earlier than scheduled due to the jet stream, the plane a venerable DC-8.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

My first Thought was the old twilight zone episode. Had to google it.
"The Odyssey of Flight 33" is episode 54 of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone, the 18th episode of the second season. An unlikely break of the time barrier finds a commercial airliner sent back into the prehistoric age and then to New York City of 1939.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Reddog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:22 pm My first Thought was the old twilight zone episode. Had to google it.
"The Odyssey of Flight 33" is episode 54 of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone, the 18th episode of the second season. An unlikely break of the time barrier finds a commercial airliner sent back into the prehistoric age and then to New York City of 1939.
Great episode! Going back to rewatch again again now!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Reddog wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:22 pm My first Thought was the old twilight zone episode. Had to google it.
My favorite TZ episode was the one where Captain Kirk saw a baby Klingon on the wing.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:03 pm
My favorite TZ episode was the one where Captain Kirk saw a baby Klingon on the wing.
That episode traumatized me. I still find it difficult to put my fingers on the backside of a shade to pull it down over a window because something may be lurking behind that window where my fingers are out of my sight. Seriously!
tek

Post by tek »

Extended tower/ground/atc from that United 777 that dropped a wheel on takeoff..
"It's still bouncing several hundred feet in the air" ;)

Return to “General Stuff”