Spring forward?

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Spring forward?

Post by raison de arizona »

Heathens.

In civilized AZ, we remain.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
much ado

Spring forward?

Post by much ado »

If God had meant the time to change, clocks would reset themselves.
noblepa

Spring forward?

Post by noblepa »

much ado wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:21 pm If God had meant the time to change, clocks would reset themselves.
Nowdays, many do.
John Thomas8

Spring forward?

Post by John Thomas8 »

Cuts a sweet, sweet hour out of my 14 hour shift. On the other end, I get saddled with an extra hour in the fall. It's a balance.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Spring forward?

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't mind it too much, but it was better when it started later and ended earlier.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

Spring forward?

Post by much ado »

noblepa wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:36 pm
much ado wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:21 pm If God had meant the time to change, clocks would reset themselves.
Nowdays, many do.
I must live in Hell.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Spring forward?

Post by bill_g »

(cursing because I just reset all the clocks after a power failure ... )
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Spring forward?

Post by keith »

We still a couple of weeks to go downunder.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Spring forward?

Post by Dave from down under »

Then an hour falls away
much ado

Spring forward?

Post by much ado »

I guess it'll be Fall back down there?
Dave from down under

Spring forward?

Post by Dave from down under »

Yep!
An hour more sleep :)
Lani

Spring forward?

Post by Lani »

No clock change in Hawaii. I love that!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Spring forward?

Post by Suranis »

Here it does not Spring forward till March 30th. But today is Mothers Day here so happy Mothers day to all who celebrate.
Hic sunt dracones
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Spring forward?

Post by Reality Check »

Back in the ancient times of the 1980's I worked at a plant that set maintenance force hours from either 7am - 3:30pm (summer) or 8am - 4:30pm winter. We changed schedules on the same day that we went on and off DST. This meant that when we went on DST in the spring we had a TWO HOUR change and the same thing in the fall, we fell two hours back. It was great in the summer. Getting off at 3:30 pm meant banks and most businesses were open and you could get in 18 holes of golf if you wanted to. Winter was brutal though. In NE Ohio where we were located it was dark at 4:30 pm in December through February.

I have no idea where this schedule originated. It may have been in place from the time before DST was observed and after DST started they just kept it. The schedule was in the contract and seemed everyone was OK with it. I hated it at first but grew to like it.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Spring forward?

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

When Bush the Lesser changed the dates of the changeover, one of the devices I had installed years earlier wouldn't take the firmware upgrade. I had to go in and manually adjust the dates for the next forty-some years.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Spring forward?

Post by northland10 »

One advantage is you can use the DST change to check your alarms. Previously it was change the batteries, IIRC, but that is not necessary for some.

Monthly checks are better but so many forget, at least twice a year is better than nothing.

Or you can test then by searing lamb chops in a not well ventilated kitchen in a small apartment. :oopsy:
101010 :towel:
p0rtia

Spring forward?

Post by p0rtia »

clocks for forward.jpg
clocks for forward.jpg (144.33 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Rolodex

Spring forward?

Post by Rolodex »

Unpopular opinion: I hate DST. It's not about the day of an hour loss. It's later in the summer when it's a billion degrees and even at 8, yeah it's light but it's still 95º and who wants to do stuff outside in that? If it were light early in the morning, that's the coolest time of day. Go run or walk outside then. But when DST comes, it's dark in the morning when you could get a run in before work. I suspect that experience with DST/standard time may depend on where you live.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Spring forward?

Post by raison de arizona »

I like it when they spring forward because it puts AZ on the same time as CA which simplifies my life and planning.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Spring forward?

Post by AndyinPA »

I think it very much depends on where you live. You're right about that.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Spring forward?

Post by Suranis »

Not unpopular with me. I don't like DST either.
Hic sunt dracones
Reddog

Spring forward?

Post by Reddog »

I agree with Rolodex. I am mainly against changing the clocks at all. My preference would be to not have daylight saving time. Also too, I seem to be in the minority in that regard.
More than once I’ve agreed with other people when they said they were against daylight saving time, only to find out that they actually thought daylight saving time was standard time. Other times when I was contacting vendors, or service departments, and their website would say e.g. PST during the summer I needed to verify that they actually meant PDT for hours.
Estiveo
Verified:

Spring forward?

Post by Estiveo »

You can count me in the dump DST column.
Image Image Image Image
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Spring forward?

Post by poplove »

I always hated having to spring forward. Lots of people show up late for work the day after, but does anyone show up early when we fall back? Some folks I know like DST because they think they get an extra hour in the evening when in reality they are just getting up earlier. I say set the clocks forward a half hour one time and be done with it forever.
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

Spring forward?

Post by Walt Tuttle »

I had a clock radio/cd-player that was hard-coded to the previous set of DST rules. No way to disable. So I had to change my clock four times a year and was usually surprised whenever it switched on its own.

Another clock would be set by the WWVB signal from Colorado. It would automatically adjust and display the correct time on Sunday. But then come Monday it would be switched back to the previous time. By Tuesday it would correct itself and be fine from there on out. Every single time. Like clockwork.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”