W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Welcome to February in Michigan:

Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Hoping for everyone's safety in these storms.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

It was one hell of a light show, but when I got up this morning, our outage map only showed three outages affecting 23 customers. 11 years ago, we probably would have had over 1000 customers without power. Amazing what proper line maintenance can do for reliability.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:54 am It was one hell of a light show, but when I got up this morning, our outage map only showed three outages affecting 23 customers. 11 years ago, we probably would have had over 1000 customers without power. Amazing what proper line maintenance can do for reliability.
ComEd does not believe in maintenance. I remember when the state allowed them to raise their delivery rates and soon after, they reduced their maintenance budget. Now that they have four of their staff convicted of conspiracy to bribe Madigan, the former House Speaker (who is charged as well) maybe they might change their ways, but I have my doubts.

They have gotten a bit better since the 2011 thunderstorm that put 800K out, with some going over a week until they were restored (and was also a cluster-f*** of communications, especially to things like hospitals).
101010 :towel:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Here in central Indiana we missed the round of storms that hit the Chicago area but got hit by two or three fast moving bands around 2:00 am. The leading storm had some hail in it and pretty high winds along with a little thunder and lightning. It completely freaked out Evie the Schnauzer and Adam follows whatever his big sister does so I had a pair of shaking dogs that wanted to be held for about an hour last night. I need to take a walk around the house today to see if anything is missing. When I looked at my phone Alexa had posted a thunderstorm warning just five minutes before the first band hit us so I'm guessing these things came up out of nowhere.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Bands of storms almost all through. One more soon, and then temps are going to plunge. It's 63 degrees here now at noon; it will plummet to a low of 25 overnight.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Weather Alerts

Post by jez »

Apparently we had two tornado warnings about 430 am this morning. I don't know. I slept through the sirens and the notification on my phone and my roommates phone.
She checked the weather radar and news before deciding whether or not to wake me up. She didn't because it was all north of us, closer to the AFB. Gotta say, that was some of the best sleep I've gotten in weeks though.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

I have a weather radio that when there's a weather warning blares out a tone. I had to turn the tone off and go to silent mode because it would have roused three blocks of buildings. Loud.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:21 pm Bands of storms almost all through. One more soon, and then temps are going to plunge. It's 63 degrees here now at noon; it will plummet to a low of 25 overnight.
Our high yesterday was 10 degrees higher and our overnight low was 10 degrees lower. I've felt like I've been walking with a fractured kneecap all day.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Weather Alerts

Post by poplove »

It's been extremely windy in Las Vegas since yesterday. Reminds me of when hubby and I lived in Iceland while he was on Air Force active duty. The eaves of the roof are moaning and howling. And a neighbor's big pine tree blew over this afternoon into the house next door. Not much structural damage that I can see, but their front door is blocked.
ETA: I got a closer look and the walkway is blocked but not the front door.
Attachments
20240302_145818.jpg
20240302_145818.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 385 times
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

Wowzers!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Terrifying California Blizzard: Hundreds Stranded on Donner Pass

Jonathan Petramala
2 Mar 202

Experience the chaos in this short documentary showing first hand the impacts as a blizzard blankets Northern California, leaving hundreds stranded on Donner Pass I-80 for hours....Including US! Witness the harrowing scenes of snow piling feet high, trapping drivers in their vehicles overnight.
Wicked winds gusting over 100 miles per hour, closing Interstate 80. Power is knocked out to thousands. Feet of snow will continue to fall through the end of the first weekend in March.

Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Late-winter California blizzard continues to rage in Sierra Nevada
Interstate closures, avalanche warnings and gale-force winds as storm pummels region with up to 10ft of snow

Guardian staff and agencies
Sat 2 Mar 2024 23.49 CET

A powerful blizzard pummeling California brought double-digit feet of snow; 190mph wind gusts; closures of a main trucking artery, national parks and ski resorts; and even a tornado. And that was just day one.

Ski resorts in the Sierra foothills reported more than 2ft of snow accumulated in the 24 hours from Thursday evening to Friday evening. Snowfall at the Northstar ski resort in Truckee, California, was up to 44 inches (1 meter) since Thursday afternoon.

A snow-blanketed welcome sign in Tahoe City, California, on 1 March. Photograph: Anadolu/Getty Images
Below 2,500ft, up to 10ft (3 meters) of snow is expected in some areas. The National Weather Service (NWS) said early on Saturday that widespread blowing snow was creating “extremely dangerous to impossible travel conditions”. The combination of snow and high winds was most intense in the Sierra Nevada, with more than 3in (7cm) of snow falling per hour and wind gusts over 100mph (160km/h).

NWS meteorologist William Churchill said snow totals by late Sunday would range from 5ft to 12ft (1.5 to 3.6 metres), with the highest accumulations at elevations above 5,000ft (1,500 metres). Lower elevations were inundated with heavy rain.

He called the storm an “extreme blizzard for the Sierra Nevada, in particular, as well as other portions of Nevada and even extending into Utah and portions of western Colorado”. But he said he didn’t expect records to be broken.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... a-blizzard
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Weather Alerts

Post by Frater I*I »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:25 pm

:snippity:
If they get hungry, they know what to do....

I'll see myself out... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Estiveo
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

The weather in the Sierra went through my area on the way. It's been wild the last couple days. Violent thunderstorms, hail, high winds, even a few tornado warnings.

Currently, it's dead calm, foggy, and a balmy 43°.
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

I lived the Bay Area for 11 years - four in the North Bay and six in the East Bay. I never once heard thunder.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:55 am

;) nowadays you create a GoFundMe for victuals ...
Estiveo
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:16 am I lived the Bay Area for 11 years - four in the North Bay and six in the East Bay. I never once heard thunder.
Yeah, used to be rare. Now it's not uncommon. Though they're usually not as strong as the last couple days.

Also, the sun just came out. Yay!
Image Image Image Image
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:55 am

:Baby on Board:

"Oh good, they brought snacks"
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Not yet spring weather, but pretending to, take 2. Yes, I am looking to the west where I have seen severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings. I miss the older days up north when we only needed to detail with winter storm warnings at the beginning of March (the school I taught at had a snow day or two last week).

For reasons I am unsure of, we have not scored any watches. It does look like the storms are weakening. Unlike last week, the lake may be weakening them, as sometimes happens.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Hit 72 here today. Tied for hottest temperature on this date.

The "s" word, mostly flurries, is in the report for the weekend. It will be warm again tomorrow, but will rain late tomorrow and cool off. March came in neither like a lamb nor a lion, so I have no idea how it will go out.

Trees are starting to bud.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

Many Chiefs fans who suffered frostbite at bitter cold playoff game need amputations

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The medical director at the Grossman Burn Center at Research Medical Center says 70% of patients referred for frostbite injuries suffered during the bitter cold in January are now being advised to schedule amputations.

Majority of them are Chiefs fans who attended the team’s frigid playoff game.
Garcia told FOX4 in January she’d already seen dozens of frostbite patients. Many of those were Chiefs fans who attended the playoff game against the Miami Dolphins where it was -4 degrees with a wind chill of -27 degrees at kickoff.

It was the fourth-coldest game in NFL history and coldest in Chiefs franchise history.

HCA Midwest Health shared images of the hand of one fan who took his gloves off for just five minutes in order to put up a tent in the parking lot outside Arrowhead Stadium.

“The patients who had their frostbite injuries along with the Chiefs game, they are just getting to the point now we are starting to discuss their amputations that might be necessary,” Garcia said.
https://fox4kc.com/news/70-of-chiefs-fa ... putations/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:

I don't think I've heard of that happening much at sporting events.

Return to “General Stuff”