The General thread for Computers And Internet

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Hope it isn't too late. I'm on a train and on my phone, but there are several Web based convert to mp3 utilities. Most assume YouTube, but maybe not. Try google "convert to mp3"
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

"Audacity is the world's most popular audio editing and recording app "

https://www.audacityteam.org/

multi-platform

while it may have a steep learning curve to handle all features, just for cliping out parts in C&P of shortening a file by cutting leading or trailing parts is easy, just use sliders to mark the part you are working on. Have you already been doing video editing, then this will be familiar to you.

PS. if an iTune file is intended for use in a public performance there may be some licencing nicecities to be followed.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I can convert M4A to MP3 Easy peasy. It's the conversion back to the M4A that's throwing me. As for editing the m4a, I can do that in my iTunes library, but I can't take the finished product from the library without losing the edits.

I already have the software to edit an mp3. But I can't convert that edited file to an M4A. That's why I was hoping I could find something that would convert an MP3 to an M4A.

And I suspect Apple considers that a feature, not a bug.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
keith

Post by keith »

Maybe here: Convertio

or here: CloudConvert

or here: Zamzar

There are others. They all basically do the same thing but with differing interfaces.

I used google search 'mp3 to m4a'.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

When using Audacity you need to add a separate library for extra audio format support, MP4 exports ought to be included.
keith

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:28 am When using Audacity you need to add a separate library for extra audio format support, MP4 exports ought to be included.
Yes. Audacity does have export to M4A.

So you would load the MP3 and then Export to M4A.

Straight forward once you have Audacity installed and configured. There isn't much involved in configuration really, but I found it fiddly to hook up the speakers properly for playback - Audacity doesn't use the same names as the operating system for the drivers.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'll give audacity another look. I tried it initially and could n't see a way to export to MP4 but if you say it does, I must have missed it.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yup, I missed the ffmpeg file. All better now. Thanks to all!

ImageImageImage x4
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:28 am "Audacity is the world's most popular audio editing and recording app "

:snippity:
I used Audacity to edit clips for Reality Check Radio back in the day. I got to be comfortable using it. It was a great utility.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

EM Eye: The Chilling New Surveillance Technology that Captures Video Feeds Through Walls

Quadri Adejumo
12 Feb 2024 10:04 EST

The EM Eye technique, developed by researchers at Northeastern University, allows users to intercept video feeds from cameras hidden behind walls. This raises significant privacy and security concerns, prompting the need for preventative measures by camera manufacturers and users.

Researchers at Northeastern University have unveiled a chilling new development in surveillance technology: the EM Eye technique. This method allows users to capture video feeds from cameras hidden behind walls by using a radio antenna to pick up electromagnetic radiation emitted by the wires. The implications for privacy and security are immense.

The EM Eye: A New Era of Surveillance

The EM Eye technique, developed by a team of researchers led by Professor David Wentzloff, can intercept video feeds from most modern cameras without audio. It works by detecting the unique electromagnetic radiation emitted by the wires inside the cameras. This radiation is then transformed into a real-time video feed, even when the camera is hidden behind a wall.

The technique has been tested on 12 different camera models with varying eavesdropping distances, ranging from less than a foot to up to 16 feet. According to the researchers, most cameras prioritize protecting intentional digital interfaces, leaving them vulnerable to information leakage through unintended channels like wires.

Protecting Privacy in the Age of EM Eye

The EM Eye technique raises significant concerns about privacy and security. With this technology, it is possible to spy on people without their knowledge or consent, even in places where they expect to be safe from prying eyes.

To address these concerns, the researchers recommend that camera manufacturers consider implementing measures to prevent potential breaches. These measures could include shielding internal wires or encrypting video data. In the meantime, users are advised to be cautious about camera placement in sensitive locations.

The Future of Surveillance Technology

The EM Eye technique is just the latest development in a rapidly evolving field of surveillance technology. As cameras become more ubiquitous and sophisticated, it is likely that we will see even more innovative methods for capturing and analyzing video feeds.

But as we embrace these new technologies, it is essential that we also consider the implications for privacy and security. With great power comes great responsibility, and it is up to us to ensure that we use this technology in a way that respects the rights and dignity of all people.

https://bnnbreaking.com/tech/em-eye-the ... ough-walls
keith

Post by keith »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:47 am I'll give audacity another look. I tried it initially and could n't see a way to export to MP4 but if you say it does, I must have missed it.
1) load mp3 into Audacity
2) go to File/Export Audio
3) under FORMAT select M4A (AAC) Files (FFmpeg) from drop down list

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

keith wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:44 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:47 am I'll give audacity another look. I tried it initially and could n't see a way to export to MP4 but if you say it does, I must have missed it.
1) load mp3 into Audacity
2) go to File/Export Audio
3) under FORMAT select M4A (AAC) Files (FFmpeg) from drop down list

My initial problem was that I was missing the FF mpeg library file but I found the link to download it and once I had that it worked fine.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:09 am :snippity:
My initial problem was that I was missing the FF mpeg library file but I found the link to download it and once I had that it worked fine.
Just a comment:

The FF mpeg library was developed at the Fraunhofer Institute of Germany and their licensing dows not allow it to be included into distributions, while it may freely be used. I have just noticed that they made a spinoff to a non-profit entity FFmpeg Org that maintains the open-source development.

https://ffmpeg.org/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not sure if this is a fluke or a harbinger of things to come.

I wanted to do a quick search at Kohls.com. I typed it in (correctly, I checked) and Amazon.com loaded, despite it very clearly showing Kohls.com in the address bar. Full disclosure, I hit Amazon.com almost daily.

I closed the window, tried again and this time it went straight to Kohls.

Weird?

ImageImageImage x4
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:32 am Not sure if this is a fluke or a harbinger of things to come.

I wanted to do a quick search at Kohls.com. I typed it in (correctly, I checked) and Amazon.com loaded, despite it very clearly showing Kohls.com in the address bar. Full disclosure, I hit Amazon.com almost daily.

I closed the window, tried again and this time it went straight to Kohls.

Weird?
When I use Google search I often ignore the top hits that are obviously third parties. Sites figure out ways to be sorted at the top or they are outright paid ads. One time Mrs. RC was booking a flight and instead of going directly to the airline site she booked on a third party site link she had followed.. It worked but it was not as good a deal as she could have gotten on the airline site. I have also seen that happen with things like the USPS change of address where third party sites that charge a commission to change your address get sorted above USPS itself.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I wasn't on Google, I typed Kohls.com directly into the address bar and Amazon's web page came up complete with suggestions for my next purchase.

ImageImageImage x4
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:00 am I wasn't on Google, I typed Kohls.com directly into the address bar and Amazon's web page came up complete with suggestions for my next purchase.
On some browsers the search bar and the address bar are combined. I know Firefox has an option to do that and I think it is the default on Chrome. I would guess maybe you mistyped the address and the browser interpreted it as a search instead. Still odd that it went directly to Amazon though. I would have thought it would have presented a list of search results.

Edit: I noticed that in Firefox the address bar will still offer search results using whatever search engine you make default. That's Google in my case. However, you can change the settings so only the search box actually does searches.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:28 am "Audacity is the world's most popular audio editing and recording app "

multi-platform

while it may have a steep learning curve to handle all features, just for cliping out parts in C&P of shortening a file by cutting leading or trailing parts is easy, just use sliders to mark the part you are working on. Have you already been doing video editing, then this will be familiar to you.

PS. if an iTune file is intended for use in a public performance there may be some licencing nicecities to be followed.
I have used it many a time, especially during the lockdown (mixing 12 choir members into one performance, among other things).
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/att-outage-im ... =107440297
AT&T outage impacting US customers prompts investigation into possible cyberattack.
May be related

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/31/poli ... index.html
FBI Director Christopher Wray on Wednesday warned that Chinese hackers are preparing to “wreak havoc and cause real-world harm” to the US.
Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

If you're a sysadmin type that maintains virtual machines or plays with them around the home lab, you've probably been watching as Hook Tan destroys VMWare from the inside out.

Much the same as when Broadcom gutted everything good out of Symantec, they're in the process of doing the same to VMWare. His plan is ssooooo awesome Hook took a pay raise, up to $161 million/year.

Sucks for normal people, though.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

HP wants you to pay up to $36/month to rent a printer that it monitors
HP launched a subscription service today that rents people a printer, allots them a specific amount of printed pages, and sends them ink for a monthly fee. HP is framing its service as a way to simplify printing for families and small businesses, but the deal also comes with monitoring and a years-long commitment.

Prices range from $6.99 per month for a plan that includes an HP Envy printer (the current model is the 6020e) and 20 printed pages. The priciest plan includes an HP OfficeJet Pro rental and 700 printed pages for $35.99 per month.

HP says it will provide subscribers with ink deliveries when they're running low and 24/7 support via phone or chat (although it's dubious how much you want to rely on HP support). Support doesn't include on or offsite repairs or part replacements. The subscription's terms of service (TOS) note that the service doesn't cover damage or failure caused by, unsurprisingly, "use of non-HP media supplies and other products" or if you use your printer more than what your plan calls for.

HP calls this an All-In-Plan; if you subscribe, the tech company will be all in on your printing activities.

One of the most perturbing aspects of the subscription plan is that it requires subscribers to keep their printers connected to the Internet. In general, some users avoid connecting their printer to the Internet because it's the type of device that functions fine without web access.

A web connection can also concern users about security or HP-issued firmware updates that make printers stop functioning with non-HP ink.

But HP enforces an Internet connection by having its TOS also state that HP may disrupt the service—and continue to charge you for it—if your printer is not online.

HP says it enforces a constant connection so that the company can monitor things that make sense for the subscription, like ink cartridge statuses, page count, and "to prevent unauthorized use of Your account." However, HP will also remotely monitor the type of documents (for example, a PDF or JPEG) printed, the devices and software used to initiate the print job, "peripheral devices," and any other "metrics" that HP thinks are related to the subscription and decides to add to its remote monitoring.

The All-In-Plan privacy policy also says that HP may “transfer information about you to advertising partners” so that they can "recognize your devices," perform targeted advertising, and, potentially, "combine information about you with information from other companies in data sharing cooperatives" that HP participates in. The policy says that users can opt out of sharing personal data.

The All-In-Plan TOS reads:

Subject to the terms of this Agreement, You hereby grant to HP a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free right to use, copy, store, transmit, modify, create derivative works of and display Your non-personal data for its business purposes.

:snippity:
More at the link:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02 ... -monitors/

TLDR: HP wants to make printing a service. So, you're paying HP a minimum of $84/yr (2 yr minimum) for a $225 printer so they can collect your data and sell it to whoever the hell they want. The base price includes 20 pages a month with a $1 additional charge for every 10 pages. Repairs, replacement parts and their overpriced ink are not included in the price. If the printer is not kept online it will shut itself down but they can continue to bill you for it. If you cancel before the end of the term they get to charge you $270. Sounds like a great deal.

ETA: I may have misread about the ink. It may be provided in the cost.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I love my Brother laser printer.

For a reason.

Until they start the same crap.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We have an Epson wide format ink tank printer that I got at a great price on a Black Friday deal. The ink is so much cheaper that I calculated it'll pay for itself in less than two years compared to what we were spending on ink cartridges for the old printer.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I bought a Brother laser printer and have some kind of subscription but can cancel.

Return to “Computers and Internet”