Birding

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Birding

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:23 am Just add some bacon to the eggs and everything will be fine for breakfast ;)
You are so wicked!!!! I love it!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Birding

Post by pipistrelle »

I don't think of them as nasty but as invasive, affecting populations of already declining native birds. I'd discourage them from nesting. If I had property, time, money, and health, I''d get a falconer's license and keep my hawks and falcons in sight during the day. :twisted:
pipistrelle

Birding

Post by pipistrelle »

Also, when I see photos of a Cooper's or sharp-shinned with a bird, it's never a starling. :mad:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Well, bacon and eggs is kind of my standard breakfast. :biggrin:

I find it odd that we feed the birds at all. My wife contracted histoplasmosis when she was 18 and has scarring on her lungs and lost all but peripheral vision in her left eye (along with her pilot's license). It's a fungal disease that's generally contracted by exposure to bird feces in the soil or elsewhere and can be triggered by renewed exposure, so keeping it out of the pool and grill were actually serious issues. We didn't feed birds at that house and the feeders are kept well away from the house here. She doesn't go anywhere near the feeders. However, she really enjoys watching the birds so we take extra precautions and continue to feed.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
pipistrelle

Birding

Post by pipistrelle »

Press release so quoted in full:

https://newsroom.wcs.org/News-Releases/ ... -Died.aspx
New York City, Feb. 23, 2024 – The following statement was released by Central Park Zoo:

We are saddened to report that Flaco, the Eurasian eagle owl discovered missing from the Central Park Zoo after his exhibit was vandalized just over a year ago, is dead after an apparent collision with a building on West 89th Street in Manhattan.

The downed owl was reported to the Wild Bird Fund (WBF) by people in the building. Staff from the WBF quickly responded, retrieved the non-responsive owl and declared him dead shortly afterward. The WBF notified zoo staff who picked up the bird and transported him to the Bronx Zoo for necropsy.

The vandal who damaged Flaco’s exhibit jeopardized the safety of the bird and is ultimately responsible for his death. We are still hopeful that the NYPD, which is investigating the vandalism, will ultimately make an arrest.

Flaco frequently had been seen in and near Central Park and other locations across Manhattan since Feb. 2, 2023. Our staff monitored him throughout the year and were prepared to recover him if he showed any sign of difficulty or distress.

We appreciate all the support and concern over the well-being of Flaco throughout the past year and the many people who contacted us with updates. We especially appreciate the quick response by the staff of the Wild Bird Fund in their attempt to help Flaco.

We will provide additional information once a necropsy is performed and further testing results are in.

###
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

:brokenheart:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
New Turtle

Birding

Post by New Turtle »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:58 pm
Chilidog wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:50 pm
northland10 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:06 pm
Barred Owl?

Great Grey? Chilidog?
concur barred
I thought barred, assuming it’s dark eyed, and it’s clearly not a barn owl. I was confirming there aren’t any other likely dark-eyed candidates and as a side note found out there have been some dark-eyed burrowing owls. This is the first I’ve seen them.

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/2542 ... os/3902076
Spotted owls look similar to barred owls, but spotted owls are rare, mostly they would be nesting in protected areas like national forests.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Birding

Post by northland10 »

I was driving back from shopping/lunch and noticed some gulls harassing a large soaring bird. I initially assumed it was one of the hawks when I noticed the tail was white and the wings appeared too dark for our hawks. I believe it might of been a bald eagle. They are uncommon here but have been seen previously, just not by me.

I pulled off when the light turned green but they moved too far away.

I could be wrong given the distance and lightening but generally confident it was.

I think I saw a Cooper's Hawk last week though it was not visible for long (I have seen them here from time to time).
101010 :towel:
jcolvin2
Verified:

Birding

Post by jcolvin2 »

During the last week, a Cooper's hawk has been hanging out in our backyard. Based on how it perches on one of our Japanese maples, we think it may have an injured foot. We have seen it make several attempts on our backyard birds - including a flicker who is almost as large as the Cooper's hawk, but have not yet seen a successful predation.
pipistrelle

Birding

Post by pipistrelle »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:34 pm During the last week, a Cooper's hawk has been hanging out in our backyard. Based on how it perches on one of our Japanese maples, we think it may have an injured foot. We have seen it make several attempts on our backyard birds - including a flicker who is almost as large as the Cooper's hawk, but have not yet seen a successful predation.
A rehabber may know how to get hold of it to do an exam.

Most of the raptors our local rehabbers have have been hit by a car, ingested lead, or ingested rodenticide.
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

northland10 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:28 pm I was driving back from shopping/lunch and noticed some gulls harassing a large soaring bird. I initially assumed it was one of the hawks when I noticed the tail was white and the wings appeared too dark for our hawks. I believe it might of been a bald eagle. They are uncommon here but have been seen previously, just not by me.

I pulled off when the light turned green but they moved too far away.

I could be wrong given the distance and lightening but generally confident it was.

I think I saw a Cooper's Hawk last week though it was not visible for long (I have seen them here from time to time).
We saw a bald eagle over Glenview yesterday.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

Our closest bald eagles laid their first egg last week. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:45 pm
northland10 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:28 pm I was driving back from shopping/lunch and noticed some gulls harassing a large soaring bird. I initially assumed it was one of the hawks when I noticed the tail was white and the wings appeared too dark for our hawks. I believe it might of been a bald eagle. They are uncommon here but have been seen previously, just not by me.
We saw a bald eagle over Glenview yesterday.
I guess I should do some walking up and down the Des Plaines River trail soon. The one I saw was in close proximity of the river.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Birding

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn and I saw two bald eagles flying (and screeching) along the mighty Neuse River the other day. We see lots of herons, too also.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Birding

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:12 pm Ol' Wifehorn and I saw two bald eagles flying (and screeching) along the mighty Neuse River the other day. We see lots of herons, too also.
Magnificent beasts in fight :lovestruck: Unfortunately we have more black vultures overhead than eagles, and every spring we get babies down in the creepy barn. They don't make a nest they just roll the eggs around on the ground from time to time until they hatch. The grandkids love to make bets on how many eggs they will lay each spring and watch for them to hatch.
Baby Vultures.png
Baby Vultures.png (389.14 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

Birding

Baby vultures are CUTE!!!!
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Birding

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

They are that!
rossgw

Birding

Post by rossgw »

Hatching emu eggs
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

This morning, I awoke to this sound.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Birding

Post by AndyinPA »

That's a sound we used to hear a lot. We still do, but not very often. :(
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

People who use the phrase "when pigs fly" to illustrate that something will never happen have not seen the birds at my feeders.
qbawl

Birding

Post by qbawl »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:01 pm People who use the phrase "when pigs fly" to illustrate that something will never happen have not seen the birds at my feeders.
In my neck of the woods Flying Pigs are held in high regard. We even have a weekend festival including feats of endurance (Marathon and shorter races). Oh and the Statuary, why at one time in the not too distant past you couldn't walk a block downtown without encountering a posed pig. Many sprouting wings.
pipistrelle

Birding

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:01 pm People who use the phrase "when pigs fly" to illustrate that something will never happen have not seen the birds at my feeders.
Gotta fatten up and grow nice feathers for the breeding and feeding season.

Return to “General Stuff”