Hunter Biden - But His Emails! Gun Charge Indictment, Taxes, Hacking, Election Interference, Russian Ops - Jack Maxey

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Dave from down under

Hunter Biden - But His Emails! Gun Charge Indictment, Taxes, Hacking, Election Interference, Russian Ops - Jack Maxey

Post by Dave from down under »

Isn’t Scott
Scott v. United States, 436 U.S. 128 (1978)

And Brady
Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83 (1963)

Both being cases that established discovery grounds
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Prosecutors push to send FBI source accused of lying about Bidens back to jail

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/2 ... l-00142448
Prosecutors are asking a federal judge to reconsider a magistrate judge’s decision to free a former FBI source facing charges for falsely claiming that Joe Biden accepted a bribe from a Ukrainian businessperson.

Justice Department attorneys say the former source, Alexander Smirnov, has reported extensive contacts with high-level Russian intelligence operatives and could use those alleged connections to flee justice if allowed to remain out of custody.

Prosecutors working for David Weiss, the special counsel probing issues related to the president’s son Hunter, obtained an indictment of Smirnov last week on charges of making false statements to the FBI and obstruction of justice. Smirnov was arrested at the Las Vegas airport last week as he returned from a trip abroad, and the Justice Department indicated he had another lengthy foreign trip planned just days from now.

Weiss’ team contends that Smirnov’s alleged lies, weak ties to the Las Vegas area and ready access to millions of dollars in assets make him a threat to attempt an escape. They also note that he holds Israeli citizenship and could use it to obtain a new passport and flee.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Acyn @Acyn wrote: Jessica: I'm surprised that Comer and Jordan have this high of a threshold for humiliation.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:30 pm Looks like hooray for Abbe Lowell.

Who is Scott Brady in this show? I can't keep up with all the characters in all these dramas. Someone needs to invent an IMDB-type page for all the players and each story line. I guess it could still be IMDB - Internet MAGA Data Base.
Scott Brady is the former DOJ dude who's office received the Smirnov raw document. He testified to the House Star Chamber about it. He said: " "We informed them that we felt that the 1023 had indicia of credibility sufficient to merit further investigation." and "We were not making a representation that everything in this 1023 was credible."
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Thanks, Portia. The Hunter Biden drama is so dumb that I have not followed it as closely as the other stories, so I missed that guy completely.

No one mentions the elephant in the room: everywhere - from Scratch Ankle, Georgia to Washington, DC trades on family names. How many doors are opened simply because of your last name? I know it happens here. Heck my own kids have benefited from it (although they were unaware of it and would never "do you know who my dad is" in any situation).

And it's not just family...it's who you are. What qualification did Nikki Haley have to be a Boeing Board member? All her aviation expertise?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I would think that the 1023 was similar to the pee-pee tape. Interesting but subject to verification. And certainly don't bet the house on it until you've done your due diligence.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

He was just a coffee boy!
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Special counsel asks judge to send indicted ex-informant in Hunter Biden case back to jail

By Hannah Rabinowitz, CNN
Published 12:30 PM EST, Wed February 21, 2024

CNN — Special counsel David Weiss asked a California judge Wednesday to send indicted ex-FBI informant Alexander Smirnov back to jail while he awaits trial.

A magistrate judge in Las Vegas released Smirnov on Tuesday, finding that even enough Smirnov posed a flight risk, he could be released under certain conditions. Those conditions include GPS monitoring, confiscating his two passports, and ordering him to remain in Nevada where he currently lives.

Prosecutors asked a federal judge in California to overturn that ruling in a new filing Wednesday, reasserting their concerns about Smirnov’s connections to foreign intelligence officials and his access to significant amounts of cash.

A hearing on the renewed detention motion has not been scheduled. Smirnov is charged with lying to the FBI about the Biden family’s dealings in Ukraine. He has not yet entered a formal plea, but his lawyers say he’s fighting the charges.

In the court filings, Weiss said that Smirnov repeatedly lied to his FBI handler, whom he worked with for more than a decade, and should not be trusted. He also has extensive contacts in Russia and elsewhere, they claimed, and lied to prosecutors about his “access to over $6 million in liquid funds — more than enough money for him to live comfortably overseas for the rest of his life.”

Smirnov’s lawyers have denied in court any assertion that their client would flee the country or otherwise try to escape prosecution.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/21/poli ... index.html
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Have a feeling tony is going to end up getting charged next

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

CBS seizes confidential files of fired reporter pursuing Hunter Biden laptop story in ‘unprecedented’ move: sources

Alexandra Steigrad
Published Feb. 22, 2024 Updated Feb. 23, 2024, 8:48 a.m. ET

The acclaimed CBS reporter who was investigating the Hunter Biden laptop scandal before she was fired last week had her personal files seized by the network in an “unprecedented” move, sources told The Post on Thursday.

Catherine Herridge — who is the middle of a First Amendment case being closely watched by journalists nationwide — was among 20 CBS News staffers let go as part of a larger purge of hundreds of employees at parent company Paramount Global.

Her firing had stunned co-workers, but the network’s decision to hold on to her personal materials, along with her work laptop where she may have other confidential info, has left many staffers shaken, according to insiders.

“It’s so extraordinary,” a source familiar with the situation told The Post, noting that the files — which are presumptively now the property of CBS News — most likely contain confidential material from Herridge’s stints at both Fox and CBS.

The source said the network boxed up all her personal belongings except for Herridge’s notes and files and informed her that it would decide what — if anything — would be returned to her.

“They never seize documents [when you’re let go],” a second source close to the network said.

A CBS spokesperson pushed back on claims that the network plans to keep any sensitive information belonging to Herridge.

“We have respected her request to not go through the files, and out of our concern for confidential sources, the office she occupied has remained secure since her departure,” the rep told The Post.

“We are prepared to pack up the rest of her files immediately on her behalf – with her representative present as she requested.”

Sources feared the network’s actions could have an impact on Herridge’s First Amendment case because her documents may contain privileged conversations she had with her lawyers or the identities of sources.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/22/business/ ... ecedented/
raison de arizona

https://x.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/176 ... 18930?s=20
Brian Krassenstein @krassenstein wrote: BREAKING: Matt Gaetz just confirmed that Hunter Biden didn't invoke his 5th Amendment right even a single time today.

Let's compare:

- Eric Trump - 500 Times
- Donald Trump - 440 Times
- Hunter Biden - 0 Times

Details:

- Eric Trump took it more than 500 times, according to an NY attorney general office court filing.

- Former President Donald Trump invoked his Fifth Amendment right 440+ times during a deposition before lawyers from New York Attorney General Letitia James.

Now who are the liars and crooks?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:19 pm https://x.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/176 ... 18930?s=20
Brian Krassenstein @krassenstein wrote: BREAKING: Matt Gaetz just confirmed that Hunter Biden didn't invoke his 5th Amendment right even a single time today.

Let's compare:

- Eric Trump - 500 Times
- Donald Trump - 440 Times
- Hunter Biden - 0 Times

Details:

- Eric Trump took it more than 500 times, according to an NY attorney general office court filing.

- Former President Donald Trump invoked his Fifth Amendment right 440+ times during a deposition before lawyers from New York Attorney General Letitia James.

Now who are the liars and crooks?
Trump said: "So there are five people taking the Fifth Amendment. Like you see on the mob, right? You see the mob takes the Fifth. If you're innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?" (September 2016 Council Bluffs Iowa)
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:rotflmao: :thumbsup:
raison de arizona

I mean, they act like Hunter is some sort of country bumpkin Boebert spawn without a use. He really does have an impressive resume, and I'm not sure how they figure he is unqualified.
https://x.com/krassenstein/status/17635 ... 19829?s=20
Brian Krassenstein @krassenstein wrote: Hunter Biden's Response to Attacks on his Resume:

“You guys have gone out and said I had no credibility, that there’s no way that I should’ve been serving on the board of Burisma. I just read you my resume." I’d put my resume up against any of you, in terms of my responsibility."

"I don’t know anybody that was, at that time, that was teaching the No. 1 rated course at Georgetown’s School of Foreign Service in the master’s program in terms of foreign policy and advocacy. I literally was on like 12 different boards. I only listed like, you know, 10 of them. And so I had an enormous amount of reasons to be on it.”

Here's Hunter Biden's Resume:

- Hunter Biden earned his law degree from Yale Law School.
- He worked as an attorney at Boies Schiller Flexner LLP, a renowned law firm in New York, where he was heavily involved in corporate law and governance.
- Republican President George W. Bush appointed him to the Amtrak Board of Directors, where he contributed to governance and transparency efforts, vital due to Amtrak's public service role and federal funding.
- He served as a consultant and lobbyist for MBNA, a significant banking and credit card entity, emphasizing the importance of corporate governance and transparency.
- He was a board member for the World Food Program USA.
- He co-founded a private equity firm and a lobbying firm, respectively.
- He has provided consultancy services for various companies.

Reminder that Jim Jordan, one of the top Republicans investigating Hunter has the following resume before politics:

- Ohio State wrestling assistant coach
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I'm about half way through reading the transcript.

Angry Staffer is right. Hunter is destroying them by pointing out their unbelievably horrible logic, the total lack of evidence, and their hypocrisy (cf Kushner antics).

It's a delight to read.

Highlights thus far:

GOP Att. trying to prove that Hunter got a payoff from "China" because a Chinese partner gave him a diamond. Hunter gave the diamond to his uncle, who had it appraised and then threw it away because it was worthless.

GOP Att. trying to prove that Joe sold his soul to "China" because before he shook hands with the Chinese partner in a rope line, Hunter had not yet closed the deal to partner his company, and after the rope line, he did. The Att. says "You knew the Chinese man for ten years, but only after your father met him did you make this deal, right?" Hunters says, "The company we went into partnership with wasn't in existence for those ten years."

The bank records are the most fun. GOP Att.s keep trying to say that "Hunter got X dollars from "China" by showing Devon Archer bank records that Hunter had no association with. Hunter also comes back at them every time they say "China", pointing out that he had no business with Chinese government entities, only with private entities.

Seriously, it is so much fun having someone who is smart and knows the facts calling these idiots out. He's saying all the things we've been screaming at the TV.

The whole "put your father on speaker phone" exchange was also wonderful. Hunter gives a little background on how phone calls work in their family: "When a family member calls, you answer, no matter where you are." His context? They're all scarred from the deaths and difficult experiences they've experienced as a family, so no way they're going to either let someone worry, or worry themselves.

Awesome.
raison de arizona

:lol:
► Show Spoiler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:04 pm :lol:
► Show Spoiler
:rimshot:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I can't find it right now, but I saw a snippet from Swalwell where he asked if funds had been paid in Russian currency (or something like that). I wish I could find it cuz it was a pretty sick burn. I'm sure Portia will come across it.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona

Rolodex wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:35 pm I can't find it right now, but I saw a snippet from Swalwell where he asked if funds had been paid in Russian currency (or something like that). I wish I could find it cuz it was a pretty sick burn. I'm sure Portia will come across it.
Maybe this?
Yeah, we want to put the transcript out within a day.
21 Mr. Nadler. Within a day? Very good. Thank you.
22 . We'll do our best, yeah.
23 Mr. Swalwell. In English or Russian?
24 . Excuse me? What'd you say?
25 Chairman Comer. We've already answered the question, Eric, and we're not
1 going to tolerate outbursts like we had the last time.
2 Mr. Nadler. He said within a day. That's fine.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

That's the spot. Boy my memory is swiss cheesy!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

CNN Breaking News
@cnnbrk

Hunter Biden, the son of President Joe Biden, will go on trial for gun-related charges on June 3, a federal judge has ruled
Hunter Biden trial on federal gun charges set for June 3

Return to “Current Politics”