Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hunter Biden - But His Emails! Gun Charge Indictment, Taxes, Hacking, Election Interference, Russian Ops - Jack Maxey

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
MN-Skeptic

Hunter Biden - But His Emails! Gun Charge Indictment, Taxes, Hacking, Election Interference, Russian Ops - Jack Maxey

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Hmmm... We've seen Alexander Smirnov's name before. Check this out - viewtopic.php?p=180677&hilit=smirnov#p180677

(Same Smirnov? Or different?)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

https://x.com/MattGertz/status/1758246226447737249?s=20
Matthew Gertz @MattGertz wrote: Sean Hannity's Fox News show ran with this informant's claims in at least 85 separate segments last year, including 28 monologues. He said they proved Joe Biden engaged in "public corruption on a scale this country has never seen before.” https://mediamatters.org/fox-news/study ... g--3457290
It's hard to overstate the size of the hole this blows in the R's boat.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:57 pm Hmmm... We've seen Alexander Smirnov's name before. Check this out - viewtopic.php?p=180677&hilit=smirnov#p180677

(Same Smirnov? Or different?)
I dunno, but I would think so. Or is Alex Smirnov the John Smith of Russia?

Also, our old friend Lev has chimed in.
https://x.com/levparnas/status/1758250492281459180?s=20
Lev Parnas @levparnas wrote: Like I said all along, Joe Biden never received a $5 million bribe from Burisma. #LevRemembers #ShadowDiplomacy
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ed-burisma

The Guardian covers it here.

snippet:
TheGuardian wrote:Smirnov told the FBI that a Burisma executive had claimed to have hired Hunter Biden to “protect us, through his dad, from all kinds of problems”, prosecutors said in a statement.

The allegations became a flashpoint in Congress over the summer as Republicans demanded the FBI release the unredacted form documenting the allegations as they pursued investigations of Biden and his family. They acknowledged at the time that it was unclear if the allegations were true.

The new development sharply undermines the thrust of congressional Republicans’ corruption accusations that the US president was making money from his son Hunter’s business dealings in Ukraine.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

The best part about this story is that they have placed Smirnov in custody. Arrested him as he landed in the country. Looking forward to hearing how long that trap took to spring.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

This is the guy Republicans were saying couldn't come in to testify because he was on the run or that he was a spy?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

This was the whole reason the fbi didn't want to release the form in the first place: they knew it wasn't credible. They said so. Nobody cares.
The Daily Show @TheDailyShow wrote: Those Hunter Biden FBI informant allegations? Pure fiction.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Cross posting.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/20/politics ... index.html
The former FBI informant charged with lying about the Bidens’ dealings in Ukraine told investigators after his arrest that Russian intelligence officials were involved in passing information to him about Hunter Biden, prosecutors said Tuesday in a new court filing, noting that the information was false.

Prosecutors also said Alexander Smirnov has been “actively peddling new lies that could impact US elections” after meeting with Russian spies late last year and that the fallout from his previous false bribery accusations about the Bidens “continue to be felt to this day.”

Smirnov claims to have “extensive and extremely recent” contacts with foreign intelligence officials, prosecutors said in the filing. They said he previously told the FBI that he has longstanding and extensive contacts with Russian spies, including individuals he said were high-level intelligence officers or command Russian assassins abroad.

Prosecutors with special counsel David Weiss’ team said Tuesday that Smirnov has maintained those ties and noted that, in a post-arrest interview last week, “Smirnov admitted that officials associated with Russian intelligence were involved in passing a story about Businessperson 1,” referring to President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

For sure Mr Comer will now want to speak with the Russian spies, send out subpoenas for the to appear with Putin in their tow :twisted:
raison de arizona

MR. BIDEN’S REPLY IN SUPPORT OF HIS MOTION TO COMPEL DISCOVERY AND SET DISCOVERY DEADLINES
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 6.89.0.pdf
The prosecution’s latest filing amplifies why Mr. Biden and the Court cannot take the
prosecution’s assertions concerning its discovery production or what that discovery reveals at face
value. Exhibit 1 to the prosecution’s opposition states: “During November and December 2018,
the defendant took multiple photographs of videos [sic] apparent cocaine, crack cocaine, and drug
paraphernalia” (DE 86-1 at 9, citing DE 68 at 9) (emphases added), and right below it, includes a
photo of three white powdery lines from “iTunes Backup (iPhone 11) - Production 1.” The
prosecution is flat out wrong—both that Mr. Biden “took” this photograph and in claiming that it
depicts “cocaine.” Multiple sources have pointed out, and a review of discovery confirms, this is
actually a photo of sawdust from an expert carpenter and it was sent to Mr. Biden, not vice versa.1

More specifically, the discovery identifies this as a photo of a photo taken in the office of
Mr. Biden’s then-psychiatristDr. Keith Ablow, which Dr. Ablow initially received from an master
carpenter and later texted to Mr. Biden, stating: “This one in my office is of lines of sawdust sent
to me by a master carpenter who was a coke addict.”
The message accompanying that photo was
meant to convey that Mr. Biden, too, could overcome any addiction.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Hunter Biden attorneys say ‘reckless’ prosecutors mistook ‘lines of sawdust’ for cocaine in evidence dump

By Josh Christenson
Published Feb. 20, 2024 Updated Feb. 20, 2024, 5:29 p.m. ET

Hunter Biden’s attorneys say federal prosecutors have been “gun-shy” about sharing evidence ahead of the first son’s weapons trial — and embarrassingly released a photo of purported cocaine that is actually sawdust in a carpenter’s shop.

Attorneys Abbe Lowell and Bartholomew Dalton accused special counsel David Weiss of not providing their client with “all the information that he is due so that he can prepare for and receive a fair trial,” according to the Tuesday filing in Delaware federal court.

“The prosecution’s latest filing amplifies why Mr. Biden and the Court cannot take the prosecution’s assertions … at face value,” they added, calling a Feb. 13 submission from Weiss’ office “flat-out wrong” for alleging Hunter “took multiple photographs” of “apparent cocaine, crack cocaine, and drug paraphernalia.”

“Multiple sources have pointed out, and a review of discovery confirms, this is actually a photo of sawdust from an expert carpenter and it was sent to Mr. Biden, not vice versa,” Lowell and Dalton wrote.

According to the attorneys, Hunter’s former psychiatrist, Dr. Keith Ablow, had taken the photo to show his patient “lines of sawdust sent to me by a master carpenter who was a coke addict” in an effort “to convey that Mr. Biden, too, could overcome any addiction.”

The photo in question was one of four included in the earlier filing by Weiss that featured cocaine and drug paraphernalia. Hunter’s attorneys did not mention the other images in the Tuesday filing.

“The prosecution was reckless in making such a hyperbolic and sensational claim in a public filing, which it surely realized would prejudice Mr. Biden in the public eye,” Lowell and Dalton wrote.

“Mistaking sawdust for cocaine sounds more like a storyline from one of the 1980s Police Academy comedies than what should be expected in a high-profile prosecution by the U.S. Department of Justice.”

The attorneys also took issue with prosecutors disclosing evidence of cocaine residue on a gun holster belonging to Hunter Biden and citing analysis conducted last year by an FBI chemist.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/20/us-news/h ... ence-dump/
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I read the filing earlier. It was interesting to contrast the writing style and reasoning with the many, many absolutely horribubble defense filings I've read over the past four years. I didn't miss the endless claims of rigged elections, political motives, and catastrophizing rhetoric. I don't like it when defense pleadings and motions and responses assign evil motives to the prosecution, so the absence of that impressed me.

I have no idea if the various cases were cited to good effect, and if the prosecution errors pointed out were indeed errors. I haven't read the filing that this was in response to (going to try to find it tomorrow). But there were no tricky verbal twists or obvious misreadings of what was quoted, so again, I approve. Most of the filing was about how the prosecution hadn't provided Brady and Janks materials--nothing new there and I have no idea if what they're saying is true. They revisit the "pulling the gun and a cocaine-smeared pouch out of the dumpster" issue again. They're trying their best to get the evidence tossed via arguement, so nothing out of the ordinairy there either.

The cocaine vs sawdust photo discussion was the highlight. Lowell claims that the prosecutors mischaracterized the photo as 1) being Hunter's photo, when in fact it was clearly sent _to_ Hunter (it was texted, and you can read the msgs before and after it was sent, 2) being a photo of lines of cocaine, when the guy who sent the photo clearly said it was sawdust, arranged as lines of cocaine by the guy's addict carpenter (they include the photo, and it's sawdust, without question), and 3) being a sign of Hunter's obsession for cocaine, when it was in fact the guy was trying to show Hunter that he was not alone, and that he could beat the addiction, like the carpenter.

If Lowell's account holds up, it does make the prosecution look like a buncha dopes. I mean, it's not like Hunter has denied being an addict. Maybe the point was the photo was sent around the time he bought the gun.

What a world, eh? Sawdust. :shrug:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:25 pm I mean, it's not like Hunter has denied being an addict.
As are many, many other people who aren't being hounded every day. Huh.

I don't drugs, not even pot, and never have, so I know nothing about it, but the consensus on twitter at least is that Jr. shows a lot of signs of cocaine addiction. Huh.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Someone commented, that cocaine has obviously been cut with something.
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:26 pm
Hunter Biden attorneys say ‘reckless’ prosecutors mistook ‘lines of sawdust’ for cocaine in evidence dump

By Josh Christenson
Published Feb. 20, 2024 Updated Feb. 20, 2024, 5:29 p.m. ET

Hunter Biden’s attorneys say federal prosecutors have been “gun-shy” about sharing evidence ahead of the first son’s weapons trial — and embarrassingly released a photo of purported cocaine that is actually sawdust in a carpenter’s shop.

Attorneys Abbe Lowell and Bartholomew Dalton accused special counsel David Weiss of not providing their client with “all the information that he is due so that he can prepare for and receive a fair trial,” according to the Tuesday filing in Delaware federal court.

“The prosecution’s latest filing amplifies why Mr. Biden and the Court cannot take the prosecution’s assertions … at face value,” they added, calling a Feb. 13 submission from Weiss’ office “flat-out wrong” for alleging Hunter “took multiple photographs” of “apparent cocaine, crack cocaine, and drug paraphernalia.”

“Multiple sources have pointed out, and a review of discovery confirms, this is actually a photo of sawdust from an expert carpenter and it was sent to Mr. Biden, not vice versa,” Lowell and Dalton wrote.

According to the attorneys, Hunter’s former psychiatrist, Dr. Keith Ablow, had taken the photo to show his patient “lines of sawdust sent to me by a master carpenter who was a coke addict” in an effort “to convey that Mr. Biden, too, could overcome any addiction.”

The photo in question was one of four included in the earlier filing by Weiss that featured cocaine and drug paraphernalia. Hunter’s attorneys did not mention the other images in the Tuesday filing.

“The prosecution was reckless in making such a hyperbolic and sensational claim in a public filing, which it surely realized would prejudice Mr. Biden in the public eye,” Lowell and Dalton wrote.

“Mistaking sawdust for cocaine sounds more like a storyline from one of the 1980s Police Academy comedies than what should be expected in a high-profile prosecution by the U.S. Department of Justice.”

The attorneys also took issue with prosecutors disclosing evidence of cocaine residue on a gun holster belonging to Hunter Biden and citing analysis conducted last year by an FBI chemist.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/20/us-news/h ... ence-dump/
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yes, yes it does.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:15 pm https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1 ... 52261?s=20

Someone commented, that cocaine has obviously been cut with something.
:lol: they delivered it in full sized blocks that need to be cut down to street sized portions by a carpenter with a really chunky table saw :roll:

My the yellow saw dust it must be 3rd grade straight out of the jungle :cantlook:
raison de arizona

https://x.com/JasmineForUS/status/17603 ... 75742?s=20
Jasmine Crockett @JasmineForUS wrote: So let me get this right…
1) Dems were right & R’s were wrong (AGAIN) about this impeachment nonsense, huh?
2) So James Comer & friends were used as Putin’s Puppets b/c well Putin wants his pal Trump back…
3) AND am I still supposed to do this Hunter Biden Deposition next week?

What am I missing? In my humble opinion, it seems like we should spend less time talking about Hunter’s junk & more time digging into, oh say, Russia’s potential, actual infiltration of the Republican PARTY!
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Like I said, never done drugs myself but isn’t one name for cocaine “snow” because it’s bright white, unlike…sawdust?
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:04 am Yes, yes it does.
And, I doubt if anyone cuts their cocaine on a table saw.

Wood, on the other hand . . .
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:01 pm Like I said, never done drugs myself but isn’t one name for cocaine “snow” because it’s bright white, unlike…sawdust?
https://adf.org.au/drug-facts/cocaine/
Cocaine comes from the leaves of the coca bush (Erythroxylum coca), native to South America.1 The leaf extract is processed to produce three different forms of cocaine:

Cocaine hydrochloride:  a fine white powder with a bitter, numbing taste.2 Cocaine hydrochloride is often mixed, or ‘cut’, with other substances such as lidocaine, talcum powder or sugar to dilute it before being sold.2
Freebase: a white powder that is purer than cocaine hydrochloride.3
Crack: crystals ranging from white or cream to transparent with a pink or yellow hue. It may contain impurities.
In other words, not really looking like sawdust.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

The inter-tubes are abuzz with Smirnov speculation. Emptywheel makes a cogent stab at tying together the stop-and-start Smirnov investigation and the stop-and-start Hunter Biden charges, with the focus on why the plea deal was scuttled.

This brought some of the issues into focus for me, so here is some of what she says (with all but one of the citations [from yesterday's filing requesting much discovery] cut out for brevity):

https://www.emptywheel.net/2024/02/21/d ... t-anymore/
David Weiss Was Planning on Using Alexander Smirnov’s Claims against the Bidens Until He Wasn’t Anymore
February 21, 2024/0 Comments/in 2020 Presidential Election, 2024 Presidential Election, Hunter Biden /by emptywheel

On November 16, CNN reported on David Weiss’ ongoing use of a California grand jury. It reported that by that point, the FBI had concluded its renewed look at money laundering and FARA violations and was not going to file charges [AGAINST HUNTER]
:snippity:

That was over a month after the September 27 interview at which Smirnov renewed and expanded his lies. No charges were going to be filed on November 16, CNN reported.

But on November 15, Abbe Lowell asked for discovery on the Scott Brady side channel and subpoenas to serve on people like Trump and Bill Barr.
Lowell raised the Brady side channel in his selective prosecution filing, too. David Weiss’ responses to such requests always misrepresented the ask, pretending it pertained to no more than directions from Jeffrey Rosen’s office to avoid overt pre-election investigative steps.

And all the while, according to the Alexander Smirnov detention memo, he kept getting on planes to meet Russian spooks.
Against that background, there’s a detail in the Smirnov indictment that hasn’t attracted the attention it deserves.

David Weiss bases his authority for charging Smirnov — in California, not Delaware — on his Special Counsel authority.
The only way Smirnov could be covered under that Special Counsel grant of authority is if, when investigators interviewed Smirnov on September 27, they were investigating Hunter Biden. David Weiss was made Special Counsel to investigate Hunter Biden, not those who framed him and his father.

There’s a lot that Weiss left out of the indictment, like Scott Brady’s claim to have vetted Smirnov’s travel records and Bill Barr’s claim that Weiss was ordered in 2020 to further investigate the claim and Richard Donoghue’s order to Weiss, just days after Trump yelled at Bill Barr for not doing enough to investigate Hunter Biden, to accept a briefing on Smirnov’s claims.

But that detail makes it clear that the point of the interview was to investigate Hunter Biden, not — not at first, anyway — to investigate Smirnov. This is why, if Abbe Lowell gets discovery on this issue, I think this footnote will be vindicated (an argument I made back in November).
4 The discussion about the scope of the immunity agreement appears shaped by the prosecution’s investigation of the Smirnov allegations, which it began looking into just days before the July 26, 2023 hearing. (Smirnov Indict. ¶ 41 (noting the prosecution team began investigating Smirnov’s claims in July 2023).) While a host of possible crimes had been investigated, the defense understood that the FARA/bribery investigation had been closed and that the only pending issues concerned gun and tax charges. The Diversion Agreement resolved the gun and tax charges, which is why defense counsel believed the immunity agreement covered everything and would conclude the investigation. The push back from the prosecution and its discussion of an “ongoing” investigation—apparently tied to the Smirnov allegations—came as a surprise to defense counsel. (7/26/23 Tr. at 50, 54.) Having taken Mr. Smirnov’s bait of grand, sensational charges, the Diversion Agreement that had just been entered into and Plea Agreement that was on the verge of being finalized suddenly became inconvenient for the prosecution, and it reversed course and repudiated those Agreements.
The reason why David Weiss reneged on a plea deal was to chase this bribery claim. The reason why David Weiss charged Hunter Biden with a bunch of felonies rather than resolving this in a diversion and misdemeanors was because he wanted to chase the false claims floated by someone dallying with Russian spies.

And I’d be willing to bet that if Lowell hadn’t asked for discovery that may expose that fact, David Weiss would never have indicted Alexander Smirnov.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Looks like hooray for Abbe Lowell.

Who is Scott Brady in this show? I can't keep up with all the characters in all these dramas. Someone needs to invent an IMDB-type page for all the players and each story line. I guess it could still be IMDB - Internet MAGA Data Base.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “Current Politics”