Alina Habba

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Alina Habba

Post by RTH10260 »

She behaves as if her boss will have in a year some extra special powers and uses malformed and inartfully stapled EOs to turn the world upside down. :twisted:
pipistrelle

Alina Habba

Post by pipistrelle »

Resume18 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:56 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:52 am
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:32 am Sounds threaty. Will someone recommend the lawyer supervisory board to look into such lawyerly behaviour?
It sounds threaty but ambiguously so.

I'd like someone to ask her how the Biden administration was involved in a state prosecution. I want the details.
When she says "We will literally fight," she's hardly being ambiguous.
I didn't watch, just read the quotation. :bag: But even that could be taken as appeals or whatever. Can the NY judgement be appealed?
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Alina Habba

Post by Reality Check »

Just recently I saw "literally" on a list of words that has come to mean the opposite of what it it used to mean at least in this context.

Just one example:
https://maryssecretary.com/2021/09/06/w ... y-misused/
Resume18

Alina Habba

Post by Resume18 »

Sounds like a page from Trump's stochastic terror playbook.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Alina Habba

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:52 am
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:32 am Sounds threaty. Will someone recommend the lawyer supervisory board to look into such lawyerly behaviour?
It sounds threaty but ambiguously so.

I'd like someone to ask her how the Biden administration was involved in a state prosecution. I want the details.
He just picks up the phone, dials the AG and has a perfect conversa... Ooh, you tricked me into saying that, didn’t you?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Estiveo
Verified:

Alina Habba

Post by Estiveo »

Some wit on Xitter said: Alina Habba has cost Trump half a billion dollars and they're not even married.
Image Image Image Image
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Alina Habba

Post by Reality Check »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:53 pm Some wit on Xitter said: Alina Habba has cost Trump half a billion dollars and they're not even married.
:rotflmao:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Alina Habba

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:53 pm Some wit on Xitter said: Alina Habba has cost Trump half a billion dollars and they're not even married.
...yet
RTH10260

Alina Habba

Post by RTH10260 »

MTN Ben Meiselas presents this star lawyer in a Faux News interview speaking word salad

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Alina Habba

Post by raison de arizona »

Mar-a-Lago Dreamin'
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: NEWSMAX: What are you grounds on appeal?

ALINA HABBA: What aren't my grounds on appeal?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
realist

Alina Habba

Post by realist »

I thought we saw earier where Trump hired another attorney to do the appeal. :confuzzled:
Image X 4
Image X 32
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Alina Habba

Post by raison de arizona »

We did. :shrug:

Acyn @Acyn wrote: Question: Judge Engoron says that he wants this $350 million within 30 days. Does Donald Trump have that kind of money sitting around?

Habba: I mean, he does. Of course he has money. You know, he’s a billionaire. Um, we know that
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Alina Habba

Post by northland10 »

realist wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:51 pm I thought we saw earier where Trump hired another attorney to do the appeal. :confuzzled:
Stop expecting logic.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Alina Habba

Post by RTH10260 »

realist wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:51 pm I thought we saw earier where Trump hired another attorney to do the appeal. :confuzzled:
:confuzzled: :think:
the last I heard was that he was looking for a lawyer to take the appeal forward. We mused how much that lawyer will cost and who will take the risk.

Any names floated?
RTH10260

Alina Habba

Post by RTH10260 »

"done my own research"

Looks like Kise is the stand-in for Habba
Trump will dispute NYC judge’s definition of ‘fraud’ in appeal of $355 million fine: report

By Social Links for Victor Nava
Published Feb. 19, 2024, 10:13 p.m. ET

Former President Donald Trump will contest Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron’s definition of “fraud” when he appeals the $355 million judgment made against him last week in his civil trial, according to his lawyer.

“The case raises serious legal and constitutional questions regarding ‘fraud’ claims/findings without any actual fraud,” Trump’s attorney, Christopher Kise, told Newsweek Monday.

Kise further charged that Engoron and New York Attorney General Letitia James – both Democrats – are attempting to force Trump out of New York to the detriment of the city.

The lawyer did not specify exactly when an appeal would be filed, noting that the timing “will depend on many factors” but will “fall within the 30-day clock” allowed by the court, the outlet reported.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/19/us-news/t ... ne-report/
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Alina Habba

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:48 pm Mar-a-Lago Dreamin'

I mean, look, IANAL ATLLD (all-the-live-long-day), and yet, I am pretty sure that she can't expect the court to receive favorably an appeal that simply asks "What aren't my grounds here?"

Lawdawgs of TFB, am I completely off-base on this one? :?: :biggrin:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Alina Habba

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:41 am

I mean, look, IANAL ATLLD (all-the-live-long-day), and yet, I am pretty sure that she can't expect the court to receive favorably an appeal that simply asks "What aren't my grounds here?"

She was paraphrasing. Her appeal actually says "all of them."
Dave from down under

Alina Habba

Post by Dave from down under »

“It’s better to be pretty than smart, you can fake being smart.”
:rotflmao: :girlbutt:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Alina Habba

Post by Maybenaut »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:41 am

When the time comes, Trumps attorney will have to state the grounds for appeal. And those grounds will have to have been adequately preserved at the trial. For example, the appellate court would likely conclude that any claim that Trump was denied his right to a jury trial was not adequately preserved because he didn’t ask for one when given the opportunity and didn’t object to the State’s request for a non-jury trial.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Suranis

Alina Habba

Post by Suranis »

Look. Its been adequately prepared. She said "This is so unfair and its a political witchhunt!" about 7,038,438,473 times. Bofore saying it, She even filled her lungs really really filly with air!
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Alina Habba

Post by RTH10260 »

I liked how Engoron diffused one critical issue, dissolving the T org, by kicking it three years down the road, and make it dependant on the well behaving of the business as observed by the court monitor.
p0rtia

Alina Habba

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

A lot of the talking heads have referred to the decision not to dissolve as Engoron pulling back, but it really isn't, and is indeed a much more supportable choice.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Alina Habba

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Michael Popok discussed this on Legal AF. He explained how tfg CLEARLY has maybe a 5% chance to win an appeal on any issue. The vid was posted here on The Bow. I will find the link.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Alina Habba

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:19 pm Michael Popok discussed this on Legal AF. He explained how tfg CLEARLY has maybe a 5% chance to win an appeal on any issue. The vid was posted here on The Bow. I will find the link.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bob

Alina Habba

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:33 amWhen the time comes, Trumps attorney will have to state the grounds for appeal. And those grounds will have to have been adequately preserved at the trial. For example, the appellate court would likely conclude that any claim that Trump was denied his right to a jury trial was not adequately preserved because he didn’t ask for one when given the opportunity and didn’t object to the State’s request for a non-jury trial.
:yeahthat:

And this, being 'Merica, anybody may raise any ground on appeal. (Just like anybody for sue anyone for anything.)

Winning is altogether different.

So Habba can go on the Tee Vee to play to cheap seats and say they have all the grounds. But when it comes time to do the actual law work (and not the PR grift), the appellant's competent counsel (so: not Habba) will be ethically constrained to raise only the nonfrivolous grounds. And, if appellate counsel is actually good, will further cull and raise only the grounds that might have a reasonable shot of winning, or at least chip away at some of the damages.
Image ImageImage

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”