INDICTED (INDICATED) #4 - Quadfecta! Perfecta? - Judge Scott McAfee - Georgia v. Trump ET AL - P01135809- Fani Willis

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
W. Kevin Vicklund

INDICTED (INDICATED) #4 - Quadfecta! Perfecta? - Judge Scott McAfee - Georgia v. Trump ET AL - P01135809- Fani Willis

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

noblepa wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:21 pm
p0rtia wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:09 pm
noblepa wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:03 pm

IANAL, but wouldn't that be inadmissable hearsay? If these eight to ten people said those things, shouldn't they be subpeonaed to say so directly?

I admit that most of my legal education comes from watching Perry Mason and Matlock, as well as reading here, but I don't understand how Bradley could be allowed to testify to what others said, when those people are alive and available to testify themselves.

They have been subpoenaed. They're trying to squash those subpoenas. After Bradley testifies, McAfee says he will decide whether to quash or not.
I guess my point was that, since the court knows that Bradley is intending to testify about what others said, why would he (Bradley) be allowed to testify at all?
I believe that Bradley will be testifying to why he "blew the whistle" (he heard people say things), but that won't go to the truth of what those people allegedly said. The people he heard will have to testify to what they know for that to be admissible. It's kinda like a chain of how the knowledge got to the attorneys, if you will.
bob

Post by bob »

Two possibilities:

The talking is being used an act. The action, not the words, is the substantive. So it isn't for a hearsay purpose.

They talked about criming together. So it hearsay, but also is an exception to the hearsay rule.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Ms Merchant is losing her shizzle.

So far a shit show. Lawyers of various subpoenaed witnesses teaming up to end this.

McAfee unwilling to end this.

Merchant gets to examine friend of Willis.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

Key witness says he can't testify about Fulton County district attorney's relationship with top prosecutor
From CNN’s Devan Cole and Katelyn Polantz
A key witness in the case to disqualify Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis from the 2020 election subversion case is arguing that he can’t testify about the origins of her personal relationship with her lead prosecutor.

Shortly after taking the stand, the witness, Terrence Bradley, was asked by defense attorney Ashleigh Merchant about when lead prosecutor Nathan Wade began a relationship with Willis. Bradley previously served as Wade’s divorce attorney.

Bradley objected to the question. He cited attorney-client privilege and said he does not have "independent knowledge" of the relationship that he can testify to.

He says he has consulted with the bar, which governs how attorneys can conduct themselves.

The judge has called that into question: Judge Scott McAfee suggested during Thursday’s hearing that Bradley may be taking attorney-client privilege too far.

“I think he’s taking the position that he’s not willing to share anything Mr. Wade ever told him. Period. Which, that’s a broader determination of attorney-client privilege than I’ve ever heard,” McAfee said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

6 min ago
How Terrence Bradley tanked first attempt to prove Fani Willis' conflict of interest
Analysis from CNN's Katelyn Polantz

The first witness to take the stand was the man whom defendants in the 2020 election racketeering case believed could stand up their allegations of impropriety between Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and her top attorney Nathan Wade. But he didn't do that — not even close.

That's because the legal ethics that bind attorneys prevented the witness, Terrence Bradley, from divulging what he knew of Wade and Willis' relationship.

Bradley was Wade's law partner, and also served as his divorce attorney years ago. Wade and his wife separated then filed for divorce in 2021, according to court records. Bradley represented Nathan Wade in the divorce until 2022, according to the record.

Because of that setup, where he was the attorney and Wade was the client, Bradley can't share information he would have known from Wade's divorce proceeding without Wade's permission.

Thus, he told the judge on Thursday he didn't have "independent knowledge" of the Wade-Willis relationship that he could testify to as a witness.

Defendants in the Trump case are trying to unearth evidence in court on Thursday that would show Willis and Wade had a romantic relationship, that Willis benefited from financially, before Willis hired Wade in late 2021 to work on the Trump case.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:32 am Ms Merchant is losing her shizzle.
How good or not is Ms Merchant? Whenever the prosecution attorney objects to badly formed questions, Ms Merchant appears to struggle to significantly rephrase them into acceptability. Surely the skill to re-pose an objected question is basic for trial lawyers? Merchant isn't building that chain of establishing the scene to justify asking the definitive "and did you plunge that knife into the victim's back?" questions.

Having nice hair is good, but being able to forensically skewer one's witnesses is more important.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:16 am
p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:32 am Ms Merchant is losing her shizzle.
How good or not is Ms Merchant? Whenever the prosecution attorney objects to badly formed questions, Ms Merchant appears to struggle to significantly rephrase them into acceptability. Surely the skill to re-pose an objected question is basic for trial lawyers? Merchant isn't building that chain of establishing the scene to justify asking the definitive "and did you plunge that knife into the victim's back?" questions.

Having nice hair is good, but being able to forensically skewer one's witnesses is more important.
She was exasperated the first 90 minutes of the hearing, as Wade, Willis, and DA Office attorney's put up all the basic blocks to prevent her from presenting the evidence she knows she has. McAfee is keeping neutral (aside from the fact that we're here at all).

She's calmer now, with Wade on the stand--though when he doesn't give the answer she wants, she flairs up again with exasperation, and is having trouble swallowing her impatience. She shuts up when McAfee rules against her.

She obviously believes in her case, and is fighting as hard as she can to prove that Wade is a liar. But the point of the case, that Willis benefited financially from Wade's appointment, is not in in the ballpark.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

This is the link posted by Meidas Touch. It shows better views of the attorneys and witnesses:

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Lunch break.

Wade is a superb witness, IMO. RC? What say you?
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:18 pm Lunch break.

Wade is a superb witness, IMO. RC? What say you?
I agree. He was very careful with his answers and would not allow himself be tricked into answering questions with imprecise phrasing by Merchant.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks, RC.

Note: MSNBC analysts (including Andrew Weissman) all agree that at this point evidence shows that Willis and Wade are lying. I never bet against experienced courtroom attorneys. Booooo.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Meidas Touch disagrees. No there there.

Abuse of process by Roman et al.

:shrug:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Willis probably should have hired someone else but what is done is done. I don't really see how it is enough to toss them off the case though.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Is Mike Huckabee ok?
Gov. Mike Huckabee @GovMikeHuckabee wrote: This karma moment for Fani & Mr. Wade reminds me of Old Testament story involving Esther, Mordecai, and Haman. The gallows Haman built to hang Mordecai were used to hang Haman. What they designed for @realDonaldTrump will be the gallows on which they swing.
Greg Price @greg_price11 wrote: Nathan Wade is asked if he remembers paying for a cabin for him an Fani Willis in Tennessee.

"I book lots of cabins," he replies.

He then goes on to say that he and Willis would drive to TN from Atlanta to have lunch and come back because she would be recognized in public.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

And Fani Willis walks into the courtroom in the middle of the debate as to whether or not McAfee will force her to testify. She says SHE is the one who wants her to testify. In hot pink.

:boxing: :boxing: :boxing:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Fani Willis: Burning all the bridges.

:torches:
raison de arizona

p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:56 pm And Fani Willis walks into the courtroom in the middle of the debate as to whether or not McAfee will force her to testify. She says SHE is the one who wants her to testify. In hot pink.

:boxing: :boxing: :boxing:
She looks ready to rock.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

:boxing:
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: Fani Willis says she "ran" to the courtroom to testify after Wade's testimony ended and accuses the attorney questioning her of lying
► Show Spoiler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

You go girl!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Holy Mother of Pearl.

I've listened to a lot of lawyers testifying, and they are often terrible, but Fani Willis is a whole new level of terrible. She is the worst attorney witness in the history of the Universe, and possibly before the Big Bang (if there was one). I was asking myself, "did she go to the Brett Kavanaugh School of Outrage and Obfuscation"? But she is much much worse than him and he yelled and shed tears. He was an embarrassment. She is beyond embarrassment.

The bottom line is that the trial judge can only conclude that she is uh, what's the word? Oh yes, lying.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
realist

Post by realist »

sterngard friegen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:33 pm Holy Mother of Pearl.

I've listened to a lot of lawyers testifying, and they are often terrible, but Fani Willis is a whole new level of terrible. She is the worst attorney witness in the history of the Universe, and possibly before the Big Bang (if there was one). I was asking myself, "did she go to the Brett Kavanaugh School of Outrage and Obfuscation"? But she is much much worse than him and he yelled and shed tears. He was an embarrassment. She is beyond embarrassment.

The bottom line is that the trial judge can only conclude that she is uh, what's the word? Oh yes, lying.
I agree. I have listened to many lawyers testify also, and they (most) are terribe witnesses, doing/saying everything in every way they instruct their clients not to. :) She is by far worse than most if not all I have seen. Her version of "righteous indignitation" does not go over well.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:nooo:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Wildly divergent opinions on Willis' testimony from folks I generally trust. Only a fool would go against both Stern and Realist, however.

Well, crap.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”