Hijack This Thread

Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Hillary Clinton
30m
·
Congratulations to Taylor's boyfriend—and the entire Kansas City Chiefs community!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

IMG_6443.jpeg
IMG_6443.jpeg (137.7 KiB) Viewed 599 times
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
much ado

Hijack This Thread

Post by much ado »

They were putting live video of Taylor in her private suite on the big screen during the game. It seems to many that whenever she saw herself on the big screen, she took a drink, playing the "Taylor Swift drinking game" on herself.

Here is a TikTok from the NFL's official account, 3 million views already. They are milking this for all it is worth.

And Trump says he is more popular than Taylor Swift. Ha. Ha. Ha. What a joke!!

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

much ado wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:41 pm whenever she saw herself on the big screen, she took a drink, playing the "Taylor Swift drinking game" on herself.
:rotflmao:

That lady is sassy and full of fire. Can't stand her music, but I'd follow her anywhere.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:40 am
much ado wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:41 pm whenever she saw herself on the big screen, she took a drink, playing the "Taylor Swift drinking game" on herself.
:rotflmao:

That lady is sassy and full of fire. Can't stand her music, but I'd follow her anywhere.
She’s self aware. That’s a rare trait these days, it seems.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Over the years since my mom died in 1995 I’ve been sorting out family stuff as I come across it, old photos, certificates, letters, that sort of stuff. Just hoping not to leave my kids with the cluster fuck of shit my mother left me with. She still had dresses in the closet that were mine when I was 9.

Today I found a stack of old letters in a box tied up with string that my dad wrote to my mom before they were married and he was off serving in the Army Air Corps on B-17s over Germany. I’m going to do my best to read them but just looking at his handwriting on the envelopes is causing extremely runny eyes so it’s not going to be easy. He was so funny, he use to say his theme song was “Oh Lord it’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way”. :lol: And to this day I still bust a tear when I hear it :lovestruck:

The most painful day of my life was the day he died 9/4/1986.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:19 pm OK, forget the score, the plays and the multimillion dollar commercials. Here is what the world wants to know about the Super Bowl-

How long was Taylor Swift on TV during the Super Bowl?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 563688007/
But the main event for millions was the very fact that the most well-known celebrity in the world made one cameo after another at Las Vegas's Allegiant Stadium for the 2024 Super Bowl.

With Swift, the mere mention mandates a litany of questions and we have the answers. Well, to one of the more specific ones we do, anyway.

The biggest name in music and, arguably, one of the most visible person in NFL circles, was undoutedly mentioned countless times in bars and living rooms around the country.

But when it comes to TV, the 34-year-old singer/songwriter was on all of 55 seconds (51 seconds before the game-winning touchdown) out of a broadcast that took about four hours and 18 minutes to complete. This is counting her sightings from kickoff until the game went final. She was also on camera for various moments before and after the game as well.
There's a thread on my local Nextdoor with a bunch of folks complaining "Taylor Swift made the Super Bowl all about herself."

All 55 seconds of it. Le sigh.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

The media made it about Taylor Swift.

When Paul McCartney's father died in 1976 his father’s 2nd wife asked Paul not to attend the funeral so the media would not make a circus out of it. Paul and Wings were then in Europe at the beginning of a world tour. Even a brief absence would have disappointed thousands of people and been big news.

Paul and his family had a private memorial when he returned to England.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

We’ve reached peak wtf. NYT.
IMG_7375.png
IMG_7375.png (119.39 KiB) Viewed 403 times
Gift link: https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/06 ... &sgrp=c-cb
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

and MAGA is thrilled
GGO21AwWAAAL9kB.jpeg
GGO21AwWAAAL9kB.jpeg (215.13 KiB) Viewed 354 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
noblepa

Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:45 pm There's a thread on my local Nextdoor with a bunch of folks complaining "Taylor Swift made the Super Bowl all about herself."

All 55 seconds of it. Le sigh.
I didn't watch the game, but, it seems to me that Ms. Swift had no part in the decisions to point the camera at her. That is the job of the TV director.

The worst that could be said is that CBS or the director made it all about her.

Again, for 55 seconds out of 4 hours, 18 minutes.
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

I finally put all my dad’s letters in order by date. Today I read the oldest two dated Jan 15th and September 8th 1953 and I got about halfway through the second letter and literally busted out laughing. What a mush ball goober! I NEVER would have believed it. God I wish he could be here so I could take the piss out of him for this. :lol:
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

What the heck is with telemarketers today? I've had five calls on my landline in the past 4½ hours which I have ignored - none left messages - and one call on my cell phone. Very few people have my cell phone number. They left a message - Spectrum saying to call me back because my rates will be going up. Funny thing... I've never subscribed to cable TV. I think it's time to go out shopping and get away from this nonsense for now.
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Argh. The annoyance of changing apps. I have used Google Podcasts forever to download/stream, listen and use with Android Auto. Super easy, clean UI. So of course, Google is discontinuing the app in April. Why would they get rid of a small and useful app that works great for us 'droid folks?

So I've been on the hunt for a new app to use that will also work with my Android Auto (I subscribe to Wondery, but that app isn't available in Android Auto). I've poked around on a few but I'm being a baby and want them to look like my old Google app. /whine
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Today has been a fun day.

I messed up my knee (was just being my usual graceful self) so going up and down the stairs to the laundry room is pretty much a non-started for now. Well, doesn't work too well when you start to run out of clean clothes. So, I decided I would give one of those laundry services a call. So, set up a pick up time, put my clothes in a plastic bag with a big old sign on it that had my name and the laundry service (which is what they ask you to do the first time, then they give you their bags to use when the drop off). Put it out at around 7 am. Roomie decides to order some coffee from Starbucks, cuz she likes their cold brew caramel drizzle thingy. I get some as well.

Around 10ish, get the text with a picture from the driver that it's there. Set in front of our door. Which has next to it a nice wire shelving unit that says "Please place deliveries here". Mainly because the storm door is at the perfect height to knock everything in front of it over instead of pushing it. Anyway, she goes to get the coffees and asks if the service has picked up my laundry because the bag is gone.

Now mind you, about 3 minutes has passed between her getting the text and her grabbing the coffees. I contact the service because the apps says they are still on the way. Nope. Haven't picked up yet.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the freaking doordash driver stole my dirty laundry. Yeah, not happy to say the least. Doordash of course does nothing after hanging up on us three times. "Sorry, if you don't have video evidence, we can't do anything." :mad:

So, I had to spend $300 on new clothes that won't get here until next week. I still have some clothing. Some pants and a few shirts. But I may have to hand wash some thing if the clothes arrive when they say.

So. How was your day?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:42 pm Argh. The annoyance of changing apps. I have used Google Podcasts forever to download/stream, listen and use with Android Auto. Super easy, clean UI. So of course, Google is discontinuing the app in April. Why would they get rid of a small and useful app that works great for us 'droid folks?

So I've been on the hunt for a new app to use that will also work with my Android Auto (I subscribe to Wondery, but that app isn't available in Android Auto). I've poked around on a few but I'm being a baby and want them to look like my old Google app. /whine
I understood that the google app is being REPLACED with an YouTube branded app and the functionality should be equivalent. Is this not correct?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

keith wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:14 pm
Rolodex wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:42 pm Argh. The annoyance of changing apps. I have used Google Podcasts forever to download/stream, listen and use with Android Auto. Super easy, clean UI. So of course, Google is discontinuing the app in April. Why would they get rid of a small and useful app that works great for us 'droid folks?

I understood that the google app is being REPLACED with an YouTube branded app and the functionality should be equivalent. Is this not correct?
I have not heard that. I've tried YT (and amazon) players before, but they did not have the ease UI of GP. Maybe google will make YT more pod-friendly, but I really like having a dedicated pod app - no messing around to change from usic to pod, etc.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

So, TIL:

Starting in 1941, an increasing number of British Airmen found themselves as the involuntary guests of the Third Reich, and the Crown was casting about for ways and means to facilitate their escape...

Now obviously, one of the most helpful aids to that end is a useful and accurate map, one showing
not only where stuff was, but also showing the locations of 'safe houses' where a POW on-the-lam could go for food and shelter.

Paper maps had some real drawbacks -- they make a lot of noise when you open and fold them, they wear out rapidly, and if they get wet, they turn into mush.

Someone in MI-5 (Similar to America 's OSS) got the idea of printing escape maps on silk. It's durable, can be scrunched-up into tiny wads, and unfolded as many times as needed, and makes no noise whatsoever.

At that time, there was only one manufacturer in Great Britain that had perfected the technology of printing on silk, and that was John Waddington, Ltd. When approached by the government, the firm was only too happy to do its bit for the war effort.

By pure coincidence, Waddington was also the U.K. Licensee for the popular American board game, Monopoly. As it happened, 'games and pastimes' was a category of item qualified for insertion into 'CARE packages', dispatched by the International Red Cross to prisoners of war.

Under the strictest of secrecy, in a securely guarded and inaccessible old workshop on the grounds of Waddington's, a group of sworn-to-secrecy employees began mass-producing escape maps, keyed to each region of Germany or Italy where Allied POW camps were regional system). When processed, these maps could be folded into such tiny dots that they would actually fit inside a Monopoly playing piece.

As long as they were at it, the clever workmen at Waddington's also managed to add:
1. A playing token, containing a small magnetic compass
2. A two-part metal file that could easily be screwed together
3. Useful amounts of genuine high-denomination German, Italian, and French currency, hidden within the piles of Monopoly money!

British and American air crews were advised, before taking off on their first mission, how to identify a 'rigged' Monopoly set -- by means of a tiny red dot, one cleverly rigged to look like an ordinary printing glitch, located in the corner of the Free Parking square.

Of the estimated 35,000 Allied POWS who successfully escaped, an estimated one-third were aided in their flight by the rigged Monopoly sets... Everyone who did so was sworn to secrecy indefinitely, since the British Government might want to use this highly successful ruse in still another, future war.

The story wasn't declassified until 2007, when the surviving craftsmen from Waddington's, as well as the firm itself, were finally honored in a public ceremony.

It's always nice when you can play that 'Get Out of Jail' Free' card!

(found in a random thread on xitter; I like WW2 stuff and spy stuff and this kind of intersected those worlds)
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

jez wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:56 pm Today has been a fun day.
:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
So, I had to spend $300 on new clothes that won't get here until next week. I still have some clothing. Some pants and a few shirts. But I may have to hand wash some thing if the clothes arrive when they say.

So. How was your day?
Wow, that's really messed up, sorry that happened to you. WTF is wrong with people?
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

They are beautiful, too. Works of art.
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:38 pm
jez wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:56 pm Today has been a fun day.
:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
So. How was your day?
Wow, that's really messed up, sorry that happened to you. WTF is wrong with people?
With some people a LOT! :bighug:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

this is simply awesome: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/des ... ce=twitter
Vice President Kamala Harris addressed the descendants of some of the most prominent Civil Rights leaders from the 1950s and ’60s and other foundational historic figures, who gathered at the White House on Tuesday, some convening in the same room for the first time.

The families of Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman, Booker T. Washington, Ida B. Wells, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, Emmett Till, and Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings, among others, were scheduled to attend.

Harris praised the descendants of "extraordinary American heroes" who, she said, embody the promise of the nation and the Constitution.

"They've passed the baton to us," Harris said Tuesday.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:31 pm
keith wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:14 pm

I have not heard that. I've tried YT (and amazon) players before, but they did not have the ease UI of GP. Maybe google will make YT more pod-friendly, but I really like having a dedicated pod app - no messing around to change from usic to pod, etc.
The entire following paragraph is a link

Google Podcasts is going away after March — but there are alternatives / Google is sunsetting its podcast app in favor of YouTube Music as of April 2nd. You can move to YouTube Music or to another app — we’ve got some suggestions.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

So sorry, Jez. I'd be furious. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”