State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by Luke »

Some fun to start your day: Oh boy, a furious email from Justice Arthur Engoron. Didn't even retract Kise's email address.

Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious
⚖️ BOOM! "Lied under oath in my Courtroom": State of New York vs Trump, et al: Judge Arthur Engoron FURIOUS at Allen Weisselberg's lying. 🔥 Engoron may invoke "Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus" is a Latin maxim meaning "false in one thing, false in everything". It's the legal principle that a witness who testifies falsely about one matter is not credible to testify about any matter.

RawStory reports: "In order to appeal any civil judgment in New York, the appellant must put a bulk of the judgment in a court-controlled account while the appeals process pays out. This means that if he is ordered to pay the $370 million James is asking for, the ex-president would be almost half a billion dollars poorer as he attempts to raise money for his presidential campaign." https://rawstory.com/trump-engoron-2667183411/

Judge.JPG
Judge.JPG (149.52 KiB) Viewed 859 times

According to Raw Story: "In order to appeal any civil judgment in New York, the appellant must put a bulk of the judgment in a court-controlled account while the appeals process pays out. This means that if he is ordered to pay the $370 million James is asking for, the ex-president would be almost half a billion dollars poorer as he attempts to raise money for his presidential campaign."
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-engoron-2667183411/

The hits just keep on coming.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I am puzzled that the AG's office did not give Judge Engoron notice that Weisselberg may have committed perjury. After all he was in the middle of deliberating a judgment in this case. He should not have learned of this from an article in NY Times. I can see why he requested letters from both sides.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I suppose I need to clarify... The Judge was probably aware of the Forbes Magazine article saying that Weisselberg had lied on the stand. However, it is another thing that he was actually in negotiations for a plea deal on a perjury charge.
Edit: Does anyone have a link to the docket in this case?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Reality Check wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:13 am I am puzzled that the AG's office did not give Judge Engoron notice that Weisselberg may have committed perjury. After all he was in the middle of deliberating a judgment in this case. He should not have learned of this from an article in NY Times. I can see why he requested letters from both sides.
They did, sort of… We talked about it here:

viewtopic.php?t=1663&start=650

It appears from that thread that James stopped short of saying Weisselberg perjured himself.

Forbes later said, in a follow-up:
Weisselberg’s testimony abruptly stopped after the article came out. Citing the story, the attorney general’s office explained to a judge in a letter dated Oct. 18 that it identified “likely omissions from production around inquiries from Forbes in 2016.” The attorney general’s office went on to suggest that a monitor should conduct a forensic examination of Trump Organization data to make sure that the real estate firm produced all required documents.
Edit: It looks like James was more concerned at the time with discovery violations than with whether Weisselberg perjured himself.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Here’s the full follow-on article from Forbes, where it discusses evidence it has that Leticia James does not.
Donald Trump’s former chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, testified last week in a fraud case that the New York attorney general is waging against the former president and his associates, including Weisselberg. During that testimony, Weisselberg lied about Trump’s penthouse apartment at Trump Tower, saying “That was never a concern of mine. I never even thought about the apartment.”

Forbes published a story last week laying out the truth. “A review of old emails and notes, some of which the attorney general’s office does not possess, show that Weisselberg absolutely thought about Trump’s apartment—and played a key role in trying to convince Forbes over the course of several years that it was worth more than it really was,” the story said.

Weisselberg’s testimony abruptly stopped after the article came out. Citing the story, the attorney general’s office explained to a judge in a letter dated Oct. 18 that it identified “likely omissions from production around inquiries from Forbes in 2016.” The attorney general’s office went on to suggest that a monitor should conduct a forensic examination of Trump Organization data to make sure that the real estate firm produced all required documents.

Forbes does not know whether the Trump Organization produced all of its documents. The evidence that Forbes has that Weisselberg lied, which the attorney general’s office certainly does not have, is a collection of notes taken by Forbes reporters who were in touch with the Trump Organization over the years while estimating the size of Trump’s fortune. It is those notes that show Weisselberg thought about his boss’ penthouse a lot—contrary to his testimony—and that he consistently pushed Forbes to overvalue it.

The paper trail begins in 2009, when Weisselberg and Trump asked to meet with a Forbes reporter, according to notes taken at the time. The reporter resisted adding Trump’s apartment to his net worth calculation, which seemed to be alright with the folks at Trump Tower. “They understand if we don’t want to include the penthouse,” the reporter wrote.

But Trump’s team stayed on it, addressing the penthouse again in 2012. “Allen asked why we count large private estates for other billionaires and not Trump,” the reporter wrote. “He said we should be including his NY penthouse.” This time, the reporter agreed it was worth something—and added $64 million to Trump’s valuation.

But that wasn’t enough for Weisselberg, who continued to push the case in 2013. “Now Allen says it’s worth $200M, and there’s no debt,” the notes explain. Weisselberg apparently softened his pitch the following year: “Allen says it’s $163m with 0 debt,” say notes from 2014.

Eventually, Forbes untangled the lie underpinning the Trump Organization’s numbers. The penthouse is not 30,000 square feet, as the Trump Organization claimed, but 10,996 square feet. A story published in 2017, titled “Donald Trump Has Been Lying About The Size Of His Penthouse,” exposed the fiction. After that, the Trump Organization changed the numbers it used to calculate Trump’s net worth, acknowledging the true square footage of the apartment.

Now Weisselberg wants to make it seem like he had little to do with all of this. But in trying to distance himself from one lie, he’s telling another.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexand ... 1191f96232
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

tfg's response to Engoron's letter concerning Weisselberg perjury: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... VcjzfDzA==

I may be reading too much into it, but it reads a lot like You Can Fuck All The Way Off to me.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Who tf is Clifford Roberts?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

SuzieC wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:25 pm Who tf is Clifford Roberts?
I dunno.
https://www.hg.org/attorney/robert-and- ... llc/103216
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:17 pm tfg's response to Engoron's letter concerning Weisselberg perjury: https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... VcjzfDzA==

I may be reading too much into it, but it reads a lot like You Can Fuck All The Way Off to me.
Holy nasty-grams, Batman.

You are most definitely not reading too much into it. A more condescending, arrogant, and disrespectful letter never before to a judge was writ!
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:17 pm I may be reading too much into it, but it reads a lot like You Can Fuck All The Way Off to me.
It is a lot spaghetti throwing, but doesn't really answer the $64-question: Do these previously unseen emails exist?

Because, if they do, the prosecutor (and the court) will figure out how to get them into the record.

So, yeah, you FOAD a judge at your own peril.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

Amidst the plate-throwing, authors are careful to mischaracterize the question at hand, and try to obfuscate the issue by (again) impuning the judge's motives and summoning the ghost of M Cohen's unrelated deceptions (again). Way to confirm the original suspicions, dudes.

Good luck with that.
realist

Post by realist »

bob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:36 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:17 pm I may be reading too much into it, but it reads a lot like You Can Fuck All The Way Off to me.
It is a lot spaghetti throwing, but doesn't really answer the $64-question: Do these previously unseen emails exist?

Because, if they do, the prosecutor (and the court) will figure out how to get them into the record.

So, yeah, you FOAD a judge at your own peril.
Maybe just me but I don't see it as a FOAD to the Court. It's stern and pretty well written, but beyond that, it's just a response IMO. My .02.

And yeah, as bob says, doesn't answer the $64-question.
Image X 4
Image X 33
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I want to see the Court’s response.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

chancery wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:33 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:27 pm as bad as this is for Trump, it’s way worse for his attorneys. Judge Engeron is requiring them to state whether or not they suborned perjury. if they deny that they know about it, and Weisselberg later, says that they did know, they are fucked.
Based on Weisselberg's history so far, I would be surprised if he implicates the attorneys.

However, :popcorn:
Couldn't the attorneys thus accused turn the falsus in uno . . . doctrine around and argue that, since Weisselberg lied in one trial, it can be assumed that he lied when he claimed that the lawyers knew?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I don’t know from NY civil procedure, so I have a few questions. First, is there any mechanism for reopening evidence before entry of judgment?

May the Court, on its own motion, require the parties to present evidence?

I ask because both of those things are permitted where I practiced. It wasn’t unusual at all for the judge or the jury to request additional evidence, and the side in possession of it had to cough it up so long as it was not privileged and was relevant and admissible.

Finally, even if Roberts is right about the close of evidence generally, there must be some mechanism for the judge to get to the bottom of an alleged fraud on the court.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

noblepa wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:52 pm
chancery wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:33 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:27 pm as bad as this is for Trump, it’s way worse for his attorneys. Judge Engeron is requiring them to state whether or not they suborned perjury. if they deny that they know about it, and Weisselberg later, says that they did know, they are fucked.
Based on Weisselberg's history so far, I would be surprised if he implicates the attorneys.

However, :popcorn:
Couldn't the attorneys thus accused turn the falsus in uno . . . doctrine around and argue that, since Weisselberg lied in one trial, it can be assumed that he lied when he claimed that the lawyers knew?
They can argue it, but Engoron, as the factfinder, gets to decide. I’m sure he can figure out which statements are credible and which ones are not. He could, for example, disregard everything that supports the trump entirely, and accept as true everything else.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

NY AG response:

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/D ... ystem=prod

Summary: No need to delay the decision since we already knew Weisselberg was a liar. If the defense knew he was lying they had a duty to inform the court.

Footnote 2 is interesting:
We note that all Defendants, including Donald Trump, Jr. and Eric Trump, affirmatively relied on the testimony of
Mr. Weisselberg through their counsel’s closing arguments and post-trial briefs. See, e.g., NYSCEF Nos. 1663 ¶¶
355, 368-393; 1665 ¶¶ 18-20, 37. In addition, in response to a request by OAG after the publication of an article by
Forbes arguing that Mr. Weisselberg had committed perjury, lead counsel for Defendants had searches run for
September 2016 to determine if there were unproduced responsive documents. See Tab A. While Defendants never
produced the results of those searches, if they indicate Mr. Weisselberg gave false testimony, Defendants are obliged
to disclose that to the Court
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Tab A on the letter is interesting. It is a string of emails between Kevin Wallace for the AG and Cris Kise for Trump concerning add'l information that should be turned over after the Forbes articles on Weisselberg's testimony appeared. It reads to me like Kise is dodging doing a proper search to avoid opening that can of worms. In the end there was a sidebar over the matter and later the clerk requested a letter from Kevin Wallace on the matter. That letter was not included in this filing but might be somewhere back in this thread.

I take it Haystack is some sort of search tool lawyers use for going through data like emails for relevant material. After reading this exchange the warning to the defense in the letter makes more sense.
Edit: I see this letter dated 10/18/2023 is mentioned in the Forbes article Maybenaut posted up thread. I does not link a copy that I can find. I wonder if Wallace knows that Kise and cohorts didn't come clean on what they had from Weisselberg? Would they have charged Weisselberg with perjury just based on the Forbes articles without something to back up what Forbes claimed? Maybe they already have the emails from another source like Forbes?
► Show Spoiler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Haystack – what a great name for a search engine.
ImageImageImage x5
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:14 am Haystack – what a great name for a search engine.
Excellent name!

What was it that Dennis Montgomery called his imaginary search engine? Maybe he would have done better by his marks if he had named it Haystack!
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I’d never heard of it. From the emails it looks like it can search through all the documents at once for multiple search terms, which would save a ton of time.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I love it. It's the best search engine name I've heard since "Ask Jeeves."
Hic sunt dracones
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I've heard of Haystack some years ago. Can't remember where or when, but yeah, its a pretty cool document search application.

If I remember correctly, it's also used by patent attorneys scientists to search for 'needles' in thousands of or millions of docs and correlate the results. Maybe law enforcement too? Anybody who has giant 'dumps' documents that they need to find links between.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Engoron claps back at Habba et al:

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”