Assault on the Capitol (DC)

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:12 pm
Justice Dept alleges pretrial violation by Jan 6 defendant Gina Bisignano of California. In new filing they say Bisignano's "Attending the J6 Block Party at the DC Jail & making public statements to those present about her testimony in a pending case clearly violated..conditions"
Arrest warrant issued for her, she can't keep her mouth shut: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 7.80.0.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Ryan J. Reilly @ryanjreilly wrote: Trial set for July 8 for Taylor Taranto, the Jan. 6 rioter who showed up to Barack Obama's house with guns and 400 rounds of ammo in his van after Donald Trump posted a screenshot of Obama's address on his social media platform.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Preposterous’: Federal judge decries efforts to downplay Jan. 6 violence, label perpetrators ‘hostages’
Judge Royce Lamberth, who has handled dozens of Jan. 6 cases, lamented the false rhetoric spread by Donald Trump and his allies.

By KYLE CHENEY
01/25/2024 05:21 PM EST

The longest-serving district judge on the federal bench in Washington, D.C., warned Thursday that false rhetoric about the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol — including the sorts of lies hurled by former President Donald Trump and some of his congressional allies — poses an ongoing danger to the nation.

Judge Royce Lamberth, a Reagan appointee to the bench, said the “destructive” misinformation, spread by political leaders who have downplayed and misrepresented the attack, had become pervasive.

“In my thirty-seven years on the bench, I cannot recall a time when such meritless justifications of criminal activity have gone mainstream,” Lamberth lamented in a seven-page public court filing.

Though he did not mention Trump by name, Lamberth specifically called out language used by Trump and, more recently, Trump allies like Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), describing Jan. 6 defendants as “hostages.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/2 ... p-00137960
raison de arizona

Ryan J. Reilly @ryanjreilly wrote: "I pepper sprayed 3 cops so bad they got undressed and went home... I basically organized my own little militia and we fucking took over Congress... I’m pretty sure dude thought he was gonna die that day lol."

Feds seek 41 months (3+ years) for Riley Kasper
raison de arizona

Chair guy sentenced to 6+ years.
Ryan J. Reilly @ryanjreilly wrote: BREAKING: The Jan. 6 rioter known as #ChairGuy has been sentenced to more than six years in federal prison, with a Trump-appointed judge saying that blindside tackling an officer over a wall was “a truly cowardly and despicable thing to do.”
Ryan J. Reilly @ryanjreilly wrote: “I believed that was how my life was going to end that day,” Officer Ellis said.

“You’re not a patriot,” Ellis told #ChairGuy. “You’re a coward.”
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Chicago cop who stormed US Capitol with his sister sentenced to probation, home confinement

ByLiz Nagy
Thursday, January 25, 2024

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Chicago police officer Karol Chwiesiuk has avoided jail time for his role in the January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

Chwiesiuk was sentenced Wednesday to three years of probation, including 90 days of home confinement, and 200 hours of community service. He and his sister Agnes Chwiesiuk were convicted of four misdemeanors last August for their role in the mayhem.

The siblings are some of the few Jan. 6 defendants who rejected plea deals and opted for a jury trial. In another rare move, the sidelined CPD patrolman testified in his own defense, telling the jury he did not vandalize anything and did not hear the alarms blaring when he entered the Capitol.

The charges carried up to a year in prison, but legal experts said probation was more likely since the charges were misdemeanors and the siblings had no previous criminal record.

A federal judge in Washington, D.C. spared the siblings jail time, but their attorney said the judge told the Chwiesiuks "I have no words to adequately convey how un-American it was."

https://abc7chicago.com/karol-chwiesiuk ... /14356677/
raison de arizona

State Department diplomatic security officer arrested on Jan. 6 charges
Kevin Alstrup, the FBI said, was “familiar with providing security and protection for high-ranking government officials or sensitive locations, like embassies.”

A man who worked for the State Department as a diplomatic security officer was arrested by the FBI on Tuesday in Washington in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Kevin Alstrup faces the same four misdemeanor charges that have typically been given to non-violent Jan. 6 participants who entered the Capitol building during the attack: entering and remaining in a restricted building; disorderly and disruptive conduct; disorderly conduct; and unlawful picketing or parading.

After Alstrup's email address popped up in a Google response to a government search warrant for devices that were inside the Capitol building on Jan. 6, the bureau researched Alstrup and obtained information that he "was employed by the United States Department of State (USDOS) as a Diplomatic Security Officer (DSO)," according to an FBI affidavit. In that role, an FBI special agent wrote, Alstrup would have been "familiar with providing security and protection for high-ranking government officials or sensitive locations, like embassies."
:snippity:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... rcna137509
► Show Spoiler
raison de arizona

Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: Judge sentences Jan 6 defendant Riley Kasper to 37 months prison

Feds said Kasper deployed bear spray and posted after riot:

“I pepper sprayed 3 cops so bad they got undressed and went home.... I basically organized my own little militia and we f**ing took over Congress.”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 7321c&ei=7
Former D.C. Metropolitan Police Officer Michael Fanone slammed dozens of House Republicans led by Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) who on Tuesday introduced a resolution declaring Donald Trump did not engage in insurrection.

Fanone, who was violently assaulted by the former president’s supporters during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack, called for Gaetz and every supporter of the resolution to be held accountable for their lies and efforts to undermine democracy.

“This resolution is a slap in the face to those of us who almost lost everything defending the Capitol on January 6th, including protecting some of the very Members of Congress who are now attempting to rewrite history to exonerate former President Trump,” Fanone said in a statement via Courage for America, an anti-extremism group.
“But no piece of paper signed by a group of spineless extremists will ever change the facts about that dark day: the insurrection was violent, it was deadly and it will happen again if we do not expunge the MAGA ideology that stoked the flames of insurrection in the first place.”

Gaetz and 62 House Republicans signed on to the symbolic resolution which states that Trump “did not engage in insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or give aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.”
raison de arizona

Amazon order history for the win!
Ryan J. Reilly @ryanjreilly wrote: NEW: Jan. 6 defendant Aaron Sauer arrested in New York, feds say he had Proud Boys business cards and pepper sprayed officers. FBI matched up his Amazon purchases with the stuff he wore on Jan. 6.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

A perfect outfit for peaceful protesting and legitimate political discourse. :biggrin: ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

And tourism!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

:violin:
Ken Cox (@kencoxca on Threads.net) 🇨🇦 @KenCox wrote: J6 insurrectionist and ex-NYPD cop Sara Carpenter doesn't want to surrender on Feb. 21 to serve 22 mo. for civil disorder. Self-described "fucking animal" wants delay to file appeal, care for elderly parents, keep "emotional bond" w/ German Shepherd Anna. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .123.0.pdf
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:26 pm And tourism!
Sadly we didn't get to the "Beatdown on Capitol Police" part during my tour there back in OCT
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well gee, I didn't know she had to maintain an emotional bond with a Dog. Cancel her sentence immediately!
Hic sunt dracones
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

This reminds me of a video I watched the other day. A drunk woman was asked to leave a hotel she was trying to check into. Her behavior got the manager to call the cops. They tried to get her to leave and she was combative. This woman was probably at least 70, but she managed to hit one of the cops. That got her handcuffed right away.

She kept moaning about being in pain due a rod in her back and two torn rotator cuffs but they would not uncuff her. She apologized and kept saying pretty please. Then she pulled the "my husband who died was a police officer." More begging and apologizing...she though that would get her uncuffed and unarrested. Nope. You don't just get to say, Oops my bad. Didn't really mean it.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:33 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:26 pm And tourism!
Sadly we didn't get to the "Beatdown on Capitol Police" part during my tour there back in OCT
:lol:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump opts against Supreme Court appeal on civil immunity claim over Jan. 6 lawsuits
The decision not to seek high court review means cases brought against Trump over Jan. 6 can move forward in district court, although he can still mount an immunity defense.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/suprem ... rcna138869
Lawsuits seeking to hold Donald Trump personally accountable for his role in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol can move forward after the former president chose not to take his broad immunity claim to the Supreme Court.

Trump had a Thursday deadline to file a petition at the Supreme Court contesting an appeals court decision from December that rejected his immunity arguments, but he did not do so.

The appeals court made it clear that Trump could still claim immunity later in the proceedings in three cases brought by Capitol Police officers and members of Congress.

"President Trump will continue to fight for presidential immunity all across the spectrum," said Steven Cheung, a Trump spokesman.

The civil lawsuits against Trump are separate from the criminal case against him that also arose from Jan. 6. On Monday, Trump asked the justices to put that case on hold on immunity grounds.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Jeez, it's hard to keep all these straight.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

https://www.wfmj.com/story/47165327/per ... ed-suicide

I feel bad the guy felt the need to kill himself but he did plead guilty and nobody organized a 5k to honor Timothy McVeigh.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:34 pm https://www.wfmj.com/story/47165327/per ... ed-suicide

I feel bad the guy felt the need to kill himself but he did plead guilty and nobody organized a 5k to honor Timothy McVeigh.
It wasn't the honoring; it was the fact the money was going to a "patriot" fund to help insurrectionists. It sounded like it would have been allowed if it'd gone to, say, a suicide prevention cause.

There's two stories. One is the community bullied him. The other is the justice system with delays and then DOJ deciding to add enhancements broke him. Probably a little of both. But his county, Mercer, voted for you know who. Not by as large a margin as some of deep red Pennsylvania, but by a good margin.
https://www.electionreturns.pa.gov/Gene ... IsActive=0
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:49 pm Well gee, I didn't know she had to maintain an emotional bond with a Dog. Cancel her sentence immediately!
She is a self identifying "f***ing animal".

I don't want to think about what kind of "emotional bond" she might have with her dog.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:40 pm
DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:34 pm https://www.wfmj.com/story/47165327/per ... ed-suicide

It wasn't the honoring; it was the fact the money was going to a "patriot" fund to help insurrectionists. It sounded like it would have been allowed if it'd gone to, say, a suicide prevention cause.

There's two stories. One is the community bullied him. The other is the justice system with delays and then DOJ deciding to add enhancements broke him. Probably a little of both. But his county, Mercer, voted for you know who. Not by as large a margin as some of deep red Pennsylvania, but by a good margin.
Ultimately, he chose to take part in an act of terrorism, so I have no problem with the terrorist enhancement.
It’s a shame about the bullying but at the end of the day his own actions led to the sentence he was going to receive.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:37 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:40 pm

Ultimately, he chose to take part in an act of terrorism, so I have no problem with the terrorist enhancement.
It’s a shame about the bullying but at the end of the day his own actions led to the sentence he was going to receive.
It was a sentencing enhancement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... -rcna18270
The obituary said he entered the Capitol through a previously opened door and that he did not break, touch or steal anything but stayed within the velvet ropes taking pictures.

“Matt did not have a hateful bone in his body. He embraced people of all races, income brackets, and beliefs, never once berating anyone for having different view,” the obituary said.

Perna’s family supported him as he faced the charges.

“His actions last year are not looked down upon, instead his family is grateful and humbled by his courage,” the obituary said.
He was a QAnon adherent as well.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

His family was supportive of his criminal insurrection and being part of a violent mob…

Perhaps they should sue Donnie as part of the cause of him believing Qanon etc

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”