State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:40 pm The official Fogbow Tax Plan!
With an all expenses payed vacation to Club Fed in your future....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-th ... etter%20PM
Now that the retired federal judge babysitting the Trump Organization has uncovered potential tax fraud at the company, the Trumps responded over the weekend by tasking their own accountant as a monitor that monitors the court monitor.

In an indignant court filing Monday morning, a lawyer for the Trumps for the first time launched an all-out attack on Judge Barbara S. Jones—calling her latest report on the family company an absolute lie, a cheap attempt to justify her government-mandated job, and a last-minute ploy to bolster the New York Attorney General’s bank fraud case that just wrapped up.

“Further oversight is unwarranted and will only unjustly enrich the monitor as she engages in some ‘Javert’ like quest,” he wrote, making a reference to the fictional French law enforcement officer in Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables, who’s defined by his obsessive pursuit and lack of empathy.

The Trumps also complained about the $2.6 million they’ve had to pay Jones to do her job, dismissing her findings wholesale.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess T's problem with the court appointed monitor will all be over on the 31st :twisted:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

No word yet today from the court on the fine.

Should we start a poll or something to guess the amount? I'm gonna say it'll be $350 million.

I've been out for a while this morning, but refreshing Xitter to see if it's out yet. I can't imagine how anxious shithead must be and I must confess to the schadenfreude I'm having along with my lunch right now. :rotflmao:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'll take 400 m (fingers crossed it's soon).
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:49 pm I'll take 400 m (fingers crossed it's soon).
We playing Price is Right? I say $401m. :P
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

(sad trombone)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I'll lowball it at $275m
Image Image Image Image
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:38 pm No word yet today from the court on the fine.
So the judge said that he'd try to get a ruling out by "the end of the month." That's today.

Sotto voice: Sometimes judges are overconfident about their abilities to deliver a finished product.

In other words, there's no hard deadline for this to happen.

Watched pots do eventually boil, tho.
Image ImageImage
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Snell
@TristanSnell
BREAKING: Judge Engoron decision on NY AG civil fraud case will likely NOT be released today.

Word I'm hearing is that the Court is aiming for early next week. Subject to change, could be later, or sooner.

Court had previously said they were aiming for decision by end of Jan.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I figure the Monitor's report, with its various bombshells, coming in so recently has slowed thing down.

Yes/No?
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

OK. That means I can stop maniacally refreshing every few seconds.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

So, even though the report came in after the case was sent for judgement, it will still be considered? Not that I don't think that is a wonderful thing, since it has some pertinent information in it, but it's still something submitted after the trial, so to speak.

But, IANAL. Can someone explain it to me please?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I'll go with $205 mil.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

jez wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:08 pm So, even though the report came in after the case was sent for judgement, it will still be considered? Not that I don't think that is a wonderful thing, since it has some pertinent information in it, but it's still something submitted after the trial, so to speak.

But, IANAL. Can someone explain it to me please?
I am also NAL, but it seems to me it could be a separate issue. Assess the fine ($350 million or so - I think the AG asked for $370?) and then address the malfeasance of not cooperating with the monitor. Unless...not cooperating with her somehow affects the penalty amount. I'm not sure about the impact there.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bob

Post by bob »

Too also: the monitor works for the judge. The monitor isn't a party trying to put evidence into the record; the monitor is an extension of the court.

Having said that, it'll be cleaner if the court sticks to the evidence entered into evidence by the parties.
Image ImageImage
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

The former chief financial officer of the Trump Organization is in talks to potentially plead guilty to a perjury charge related to a civil investigation into the real estate company’s finances, people familiar with the matter said.

Allen Weisselberg, the former CFO, is in negotiations with the Manhattan district attorney’s office, but the talks are in the early stages and a deal has not been finalized, the people said. The potential charges relate to testimony Weisselberg gave in an interview with the New York attorney general’s office and at the related civil fraud trial of former President Donald Trump last year, one of the people said.
The rest f the story: https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/01/politics ... index.html
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:07 pm Too also: the monitor works for the judge. The monitor isn't a party trying to put evidence into the record; the monitor is an extension of the court.

Having said that, it'll be cleaner if the court sticks to the evidence entered into evidence by the parties.
I defer to your superior legal knowledge, but what is the point of appointing a monitor to insure that the Trump Organization obeys court orders, if the court is going to ignore the monitor's finding of non-compliance?

Will the non-compliance be the basis for a separate legal action?
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:14 pm I defer to your superior legal knowledge, but what is the point of appointing a monitor to insure that the Trump Organization obeys court orders, if the court is going to ignore the monitor's finding of non-compliance?

Will the non-compliance be the basis for a separate legal action?
If the monitor reports there has been non-compliance, then the court could issue interim remedial orders to fix the non-compliance.
Image ImageImage
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I think this was posted in the E. Jean Carroll thread but belongs here:

Trump New York business fraud case verdict delayed to later in February
A verdict in the New York civil business fraud trial of former President Donald Trump — which had been anticipated Wednesday — is now expected to arrive in early to mid-February, a court spokesman said.

That new timeline for the written decision by Judge Arthur Engoron is still a “rough estimate” and “subject to modifications,” said Alfred Baker, spokesman for the New York State Office of Court Administration.

“But that’s the working plan now,” Baker said. ...
IMO it's almost a certainty that the monitors report caused the delay and will somehow be incorporated in future orders. I could see referrals to the IRS and NY State for tax evasion charges.
realist

Post by realist »

Reality Check wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:05 am I think this was posted in the E. Jean Carroll thread but belongs here:

A verdict in the New York civil business fraud trial of former President Donald Trump — which had been anticipated Wednesday — is now expected to arrive in early to mid-February, a court spokesman said.

That new timeline for the written decision by Judge Arthur Engoron is still a “rough estimate” and “subject to modifications,” said Alfred Baker, spokesman for the New York State Office of Court Administration.

I would hope Judge Engoron keeps the monitor report out of any judgment in this case so it is a clean order.

He can take care of anything to do with the monitor's report/s separately.

IMO it's almost a certainty that the monitors report caused the delay and will somehow be incorporated in future orders. I could see referrals to the IRS and NY State for tax evasion charges.
Image X 4
Image X 32
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

realist wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:46 pm
Reality Check wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:05 am I think this was posted in the E. Jean Carroll thread but belongs here:

I would hope Judge Engoron keeps the monitor report out of any judgment in this case so it is a clean order.

Elie Honig (at least I think that's who it was) thinks it's because of the perjury charge against Wieselburg. I'm sure I spelled his name wrong.
realist

Post by realist »

Trump New York business fraud case verdict delayed to later in February A verdict in the New York civil business fraud trial of former President Donald Trump — which had been anticipated Wednesday — is now expected to arrive in early to mid-February, a court spokesman said.

Image X 4
Image X 32
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Mrs. RC saw a similar report that it might have to to do with the potential perjury deal with Allen Weisselberg.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”