The Murdaugh Murders (podcast)

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just heard promo on air, CNN says there's a new twist on Murdaugh and the death of the housekeeper, Anderson Cooper is reporting on his broadcast.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:30 pm Just heard promo on air, CNN says there's a new twist on Murdaugh and the death of the housekeeper, Anderson Cooper is reporting on his broadcast.
Saw something about this earlier. Apparently Alex M. has said he lied when he said that the housekeeper, who died a few years before the murders, tripped over the dog and fell.

Speculation is that it has to do with the insurance payout--the one he stole from the family of the housekeeper.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

p0rtia wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:37 pm
Kendra wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:30 pm Just heard promo on air, CNN says there's a new twist on Murdaugh and the death of the housekeeper, Anderson Cooper is reporting on his broadcast.
Saw something about this earlier. Apparently Alex M. has said he lied when he said that the housekeeper, who died a few years before the murders, tripped over the dog and fell.

Speculation is that it has to do with the insurance payout--the one he stole from the family of the housekeeper.
Thanks. I only heard the last part of the promo, so will just have to wait for another 20 minutes :waiting:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

He doesn't want the kids to get any of the money. He is worse than vile. During the testimony of the people he ripped off - his law partners, his former best friend - he hung his head in shame, clearly actually felt something akin to remorse for ripping them off. When the son of Satterfield was on the stand, he had a stone cold face the whole time. He did not feel one bit of remorse for telling lies and getting four million dollars for her death. But he'll be damned if those kids of hers are going to get any kind of restitution. I believe 100% that is why he's now saying she did not trip over his dogs. He does not want to have to pay those kids any of the money he ripped off the insurance company.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

perhaps he pushed her.. then blamed it on his dogs
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Apparently the walk-back is part of a campaign to add Satterfield’s sons as necessary parties to the lawsuit against Murdaugh filed by the insurance company.

Murdaugh said in a legal filing,
If Nautilus never should have made any payment to the Satterfield estate and only attempted to do so because it was the victim of fraud, then the parties in possession of a recovery of the money allegedly stolen from Nautilus are necessary parties to an action by Nautilus for recovery of that money because (a) the ‘court cannot accord complete relief among [the] existing parties’ in their absence, and (b) those persons and entities ‘claim[] an interest relating to the subject of this action’ and their absence will ‘leave [existing parties] subject to a substantial risk of incurring double, multiple, or otherwise inconsistent obligations because of that interest,” he wrote.
Ah, the old I’m-admitting-to-defrauding-the-insurance-company-to-avoid-having-to-pay-the-insurance-company-back gambit. That ought to work.

Here’s the article I found the quote in:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 8.html?amp
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-25/ ... /102390264

Disbarred South Carolina lawyer Richard "Alex" Murdaugh, already convicted of murdering his wife and son, has been indicted on 22 counts of financial fraud, including charges involving the death of his housekeeper.

Key points:
Alex Murdaugh's lawyers say he is cooperating with prosecutors
He is already serving two life sentences for the murder of his wife and son
They were shot dead at their property in 2021

Murdaugh, 54, faces 14 counts of money laundering, five counts of wire fraud, one count of bank fraud, one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and bank fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, according to federal indictments.

He is accused of using the money he obtained to feed a years-long addiction to opioids and to support his expensive lifestyle.

His attorneys said they anticipated the charges would be "resolved quickly without a trial".
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/17/us/mallo ... index.html
The family of a teenager killed in a crash involving a boat owned by the prominent South Carolina Murdaugh family has settled a wrongful death lawsuit with the convenience store that Paul Murdaugh, then 19, purchased alcohol from the night of the crash.

A “global settlement” for $15 million was reached Sunday with convenience store company Parker’s Kitchen and owner Greg Parker, an attorney for the family of teenager Mallory Beach confirmed to CNN.

“The Beach family believes this settlement will serve as a warning to all the Parker’s of the world, who might make an illegal sale of alcohol to a minor, that they will be held to account for their wrongful conduct if they do,” attorney Mark Tinsley told CNN. “These settlements won’t bring Mallory back, but we hope they do save someone else’s son or daughter.”

The lawsuit claimed that Paul Murdaugh used his older brother’s driver’s license to purchase alcohol from a Parker’s Kitchen convenience store in February 2019, before the boat crash. Police said Paul Murdaugh was drunk when he crashed his father’s boat into a bridge with five friends aboard, tossing Beach into the water. Search teams found her body a week after the crash.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Crazy times in SC today. Becky Hill, the court clerk is being questioned by the judge about things she said to jurors. She's...inconsistent.

This new judge is cut from the same cloth as Newman, who recused himself from this mess. First, they recalled all the original trial jurors. Harpootlian is back as is Creighton. The judge asked each juror if they meant what they said when they said guilty last year and also if anyone talked to them (the clerk). As the day got started, at least one juror started watching the current proceedings on his/her phone while waiting to go in the courtroom, so then each juror got asked about that.

Anyway, this afternoon the clerk is on the stand. Both sides questioned her and the judge has a bunch of questions of her own. It's kinda nuts (live on courttv and lawandcrime youtubes).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I’ve been watching all day. Retired Chief Justice Jean Toal came out of retirement to preside. She is fabulous - temperate, professional, and shrewd. Riveting.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:35 pm I’ve been watching all day. Retired Chief Justice Jean Toal came out of retirement to preside. She is fabulous - temperate, professional, and shrewd. Riveting.
She is sharp as a tack. She reminds me of Newman - sorta subversive. Folksy demeanor, whip smart and in control.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Tiredretiredlawyer

Vinnie Politan will cover it at 7:00 CST on Court TV.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:35 pm I’ve been watching all day. Retired Chief Justice Jean Toal came out of retirement to preside. She is fabulous - temperate, professional, and shrewd. Riveting.
Makes me wonder what you'd be like as a judge...probably like Judge Judy...but with a southern accent...

To the overzealous prosecutor:

"HEY!!! When I want the monkey to dance, I'll grind the organ box!!!"

I'll see myself out :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Ruling from the bench:
► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Alex Murdaugh faces a South Carolina judge for punishment for maybe the last time

https://apnews.com/article/alex-murdaug ... df0a949fd9
For maybe the last time, Alex Murdaugh, in a prison jumpsuit instead of the suit he used to wear, shuffled into a courtroom in South Carolina and wait for a judge to punish him.

Murdaugh is being sentenced Monday morning in federal court for stealing from clients and his law firm. The 55-year-old disbarred attorney is already serving a life sentence without parole in a state prison for killing his wife and son.

A report by federal agents recommends a prison sentence between 17 1/2 and just under 22 years for Murdaugh. It’s insurance on top of insurance. Along with the life sentence, Murdaugh pleaded guilty and was ordered to spend 27 years in prison in state court on financial crime charges — time he will have to serve if both his murder convictions are overturned on appeal.

U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel ruled Monday the federal sentence would run the same time as the state sentence.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

He got 40 years
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:28 pm He got 40 years
He blew a super sweet deal by lying. I really don't understand this guy's motivation in lying, unless he knows that his murder convictions will never be overturned. I suppose in that case it's helpful to get the longest federal sentence possible because maybe the idea is to hopefully be able to live out the entire sentence in a federal prison instead of a SC State Penitentiary. How awful that must be to have lived a life such that it would be a good thing to try to get the longest federal sentence you can so as not to spend your old age in a State prison rather than Federal prison. Of course, that may not have been his intention at all, but oddly it is the best outcome as long as his murder convictions aren't overturned. Maybe the worse that could happen is his murder convictions could be overturned and then he has to live with essentially life in prison anyway due to lying during his "tell all" confession that his plea deal required. Apparently in verifying their suspicion that he lied they actually uncovered even more victims of financial crimes.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

When you're in the habit of speaking in English, you answer questions in English even if the questions are in another language. Lying is his native language.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:46 am When you're in the habit of speaking in English, you answer questions in English even if the questions are in another language. Lying is his native language.
:yeahthat:
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”