State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
p0rtia

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by p0rtia »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:03 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:53 pm I thought we had that? The one with the "Historically speaking, stars have been allowed to do that..." exchange? No?
I think that's the depo from the Carroll 2 case. I haven't heard much about the hush money case (Stormy Daniels), but it's on the docket for March. I guess it's federal (fed election law?).
Ah, of course. Thanks!

They just played a clip. I recognized the words, so I must have read it. They really do all blur....

ETA. It comes back to me. This is the one where the AOG just let him ramble and ramble, basically admitting everything he was being accused of. Plus all that crap about "I was busy running the country!"
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:03 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:53 pm I thought we had that? The one with the "Historically speaking, stars have been allowed to do that..." exchange? No?
I think that's the depo from the Carroll 2 case. I haven't heard much about the hush money case (Stormy Daniels), but it's on the docket for March. I guess it's federal (fed election law?).
it is. April 2023
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Clip, it's all about the brand.
Republicans against Trump @RpsAgainstTrump wrote: “I became president because of the brand. I think it's the hottest brand in the world”

In a newly released footage from Trump's 2023 civil fraud trial deposition, you can hear deranged narcissist Trump say that he saved the world from a “nuclear holocaust.”
#TrumpMentalHealth
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Watch an irate Donald Trump face off against Letitia James in newly-released deposition videos

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-yor ... mes-2024-1
Videos of Donald Trump's April deposition released Friday show the former president rarely cracked a smile when facing off against New York Attorney General Letitia James.

The deposition is part of an ongoing trial that will determine if Trump and his company intentionally misrepresented his net worth when applying for loans. The trial is in its final stretch, with a verdict expected from Judge Arthur Engoron before the end of the month.

The April 13 videos, released to media through a Freedom of Information Law request, don't reveal much new information about what was said during the seven-hour, closed-door deposition — that information was disclosed when the deposition transcript was made public in August. Rather, the clips reveal Trump's demeanor when he spoke: defiant, abrasive, and angry.

In the videos, the former president becomes increasingly annoyed with lawyers for James as they try to get through questions. He eventually turns to insults, calling the lawsuit "crazy."

Later, Trump, his arms crossed while leaning back in his chair, tells lawyers, "You don't have a case."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Apparently, they do.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:01 pm Watch an irate Donald Trump face off against Letitia James in newly-released deposition videos

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-yor ... mes-2024-1
Later, Trump, his arms crossed while leaning back in his chair, tells lawyers, "You don't have a case."

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyXRYLp9bPA
He's done that before. You can always tell when you've found his button.
Attachments
pouty-face donald 20180827.jpg
pouty-face donald 20180827.jpg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

While on verdict watch, NYAG has filed a note referencing Shkreli's lifetime ban from pharma industry. This would support a lifetime ban from real estate for turmp.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

We're waiting for a ruling.
:waiting:
Katie Porter '28
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Leave it till Monday…

That way Donnie gets to start the week as it ended this week :)
raison de arizona

Trump’s Court-Appointed Monitor Tells Judge Company Gave ‘Incomplete’ and ‘Inconsistent’ Disclosures With ‘Errors’
Court monitor Barbara Jones sent her letter to Justice Engoron, who will determine whether to ban Trump from New York real estate for life

The court-appointed monitor overseeing Donald Trump's businesses told a judge on Friday that the former president's financial information has contained "incomplete" or "inconsistent" disclosures containing "errors."

"I have identified certain deficiencies in the financial information that I have reviewed, including disclosures that are either incomplete, present results inconsistently, and/or contain errors," former federal judge Barbara Jones, tasked with scrutinizing the former president's business empire, wrote in a 12-page letter.

Though she described Trump and his businesses as "cooperative" with her investigation, Jones added that "information required to be submitted to me pursuant to the terms of the monitorship order and review protocol has, at times, been lacking in completeness and timeliness."

The judge sent her update to Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron, who appointed her as a monitor in November 2022.
:snippity:
https://themessenger.com/politics/trump ... res-errors

The full email: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... letter.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Meidas Touch has gotten word that Judge Engoran will be giving his ruling Weds. Jan 31.

Buckle up!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Special monitor suggests Trump falsified disclosures over $48 million loan in what could be tax evasion, report says

Katherine Tangalakis-Lippert
Sun, January 28, 2024 at 8:17 AM GMT+1·
  • A court-appointed monitor in Trump's fraud case said his company filed disclosures with "errors."
    Tucked in a footnote is also an indication he may have committed tax fraud, per The Daily Beast.
    The letter indicates Trump may have lied about the existence of a $48 million loan.
Tucked into a footnote in a letter written by former federal judge Barbara Jones, the court-appointed special monitor overseeing Donald Trump's New York business fraud case is a bombshell that appears to indicate the former president may have engaged in massive tax evasion, according to a new report released by The Daily Beast.

The letter, first reported by The Messenger, was delivered Friday to update Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron on Jones' findings while reviewing the former president's business dealings through his company, the Trump Organization.

In it, Jones writes that the financial information filed to her by Trump's team has contained "incomplete" or "inconsistent" disclosures containing multiple "errors." However, she describes Trump and his businesses as "cooperative" with her investigation.

But buried in the sixth footnote of the 12-page letter is what the Daily Beast indicated is a clue that Trump may have evaded taxes on $48 million in income, with Jones writing that the massive sum — which Trump has claimed for years that he owes as a debt to one of his companies — never existed.

"When I inquired about this loan, I was informed that there are no loan agreements that memorialize the loan, but that it was a loan that was believed to be between Donald J. Trump, individually, and Chicago Unit Acquisition for $48 million," Jones wrote.

She added: "However, in recent discussions with the Trump Organization, it indicated that it has determined that this loan never existed — and thus that it would be removed from any upcoming forms submitted to the Office of Government Ethics (OGE) and would also be removed from subsequent versions of MAML," Jones wrote, referring to corporate financial statements filed by the company.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/special-moni ... 30176.html
(original: Business Insider)
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

one can only hope.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dang - we will never again see the tax returns cause the T Clan will be under continued investigation by the IRS ... :crying: :twisted:
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:45 pm Dang - we will never again see the tax returns cause the T Clan will be under continued investigation by the IRS ... :crying: :twisted:
That’s not a thing. That’s a made up thing.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:49 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:45 pm Dang - we will never again see the tax returns cause the T Clan will be under continued investigation by the IRS ... :crying: :twisted:
You mean Trump was... lying? :shock:
much ado

Post by much ado »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:05 am
raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:49 pm
You mean Trump was... lying? :shock:
Is the Pope Catholic?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

much ado wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:08 am :snippity:
:snippity:
Is the Pope Catholic?
Well … Pope Tawadros II is Coptic …
… and polar bears? … no, they don't.

We expect unambiguous precision on Teh Fogboe! :biggrin:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I remember the chatter about this loan several years ago, I think Maddow covered it, to name one. :popcorn:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Hell's bells why didn't I think of that? I have an LLC. I could just make up an imaginary gazillion dollar loan I got from the LLC and claim all that interest on my Schedule A. I would save a bundle in taxes! What could go wrong? :think:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The official Fogbow Tax Plan!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... raud-trial
Donald Trump’s lawyers in his New York trial are wondering: Do you hear the people sing?

Clifford Robert, an attorney representing Trump and his family, wrote in a court filing that the court-appointed monitor overseeing the embattled Trump Organization is a “Javert” figure – a reference to the main antagonist in Victor Hugo’s 1862 novel Les Misérables and the musical it inspired – looking to maintain power over Trump and his company.

“Further oversight is unwarranted and will only just enrich the monitor as she engages in some ‘Javert’ like quest against defendants,” Robert wrote, suggesting that Trump and his family are akin to the novel’s protagonist, Jean Valjean, who was arrested for stealing bread to feed his starving family.

Robert was responding to a letter from the former judge Barbara Jones to Arthur Engoron, the judge overseeing Trump’s fraud trial. Engoron in November 2022 appointed Jones to be the court-appointed monitor overseeing the Trump’s Organization’s financial reports. Prosecutors had requested a monitor over concerns that Trump would try to restructure his business outside of New York without one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Javert was incorruptible…

(OK at the end he did allow the main character time to get the boy to a doctor, but that act of mercy caused an existential episode that lead Javert to suicide… hopefully this Javert will not bend ;) )
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Starving family????
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I did a double take - I'm writing a filk based on the Les Mis Overture/Work Song in preparation for Trump's criminal verdicts (Look Don, look Don/Upon your fellow man) with Jack Smith as the Javert figure. Trump will not be such a sympathetic character as Jean Valjean in this version...

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”