Earthquakes and/or Volcanoes

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Iceland villages in danger of 'crack collapse,' ground swelling following volcanic eruption

https://www.livescience.com/planet-eart ... c-eruption
The ground below the Icelandic fishing town of Grindavík is so fissured and unstable following the volcanic eruption earlier this month that it could collapse, officials have warned.

The ground beneath Grindavík, a small fishing town on Iceland's Reykjanes Peninsula, is so fissured following a volcanic eruption on Jan. 14 that it could collapse, the Icelandic Met Office (IMO) has warned.

This "crack collapse" may occur in places where the ground is already unstable, according to a translated IMO statement updated on Thursday (Jan. 25).

Fissures that opened to the north of Grindavík sent lava flows coursing through the town during the eruption, which has since ended. The overall risk assessment for Grindavík was subsequently lowered from great (red) to considerable (orange) on a hazard map, but new dangers now loom over — or in this case under — the town.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Icelandic Volcano Erupts Third Time in Months, Threatening Popular Blue Lagoon Tourist Site

BY RAGNHILDUR SIGURDARDOTTIR / BLOOMBERG
FEBRUARY 8, 2024 3:30 AM EST

A volcanic eruption has started again in Iceland close to an already severely damaged fishing town and the country’s top tourist attraction, the Blue Lagoon spa.

It’s the third time in recent months that lava is gushing out of cracks on the ground on the Reykjanes peninsula, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) from the country’s capital.

The eruption started at about 6 a.m. local time northeast of the Blue Lagoon, according to Iceland’s Met Office.

Lava is bursting out from a 3-kilometer crack and flowing west, according to the authorities. The flows are directed away from Grindavik, a town that’s had to be abandoned — potentially permanently — due to damage from the lava outbursts and seismic activity.

“It is farther away from Grindavik than last time so it is better for the town,” Kristin Jonsdottir, a seismologist at the Met Office, said by phone. “What’s at stake now is rather the infrastructure further to the north, like Svartsengi, where the power plant and Blue Lagoon sit, and the road between Keflavik and Grindavik.”

https://time.com/6692704/iceland-volcan ... ue-lagoon/
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Shawn Willsey did a live feed this morning. He may do another live later today, depending on what's going on.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

State of emergency declared in Iceland after volcanic eruption

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68237327
A state of emergency has been declared in Iceland after lava from a volcanic eruption damaged key hot water pipes.

Thousands of people in the Reykjanes peninsula have been urged to limit their hot water and electricity use as the pipes could take days to fix.

There are concerns that other crucial pipelines close to the Svartsengi power station could be affected if the lava flow does not ease soon.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
much ado

Post by much ado »

Another good video...

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

Post by much ado »

I was searching for a map of the recent volcanic activity in Iceland, and found that WaPo had just published this article with maps showing the extent of the six eruptions in the Reykjanes peninsula since 2021. A concern is that a pattern of an eruption a month has begun.

WaPo gift: Mapping the ongoing eruptions in Iceland
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Magnitude-4.6 Malibu earthquake shakes Southern California from coast to inland areas

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/eart ... u/3335663/
A magnitude-4.6 earthquake northwest of Malibu caused widespread shaking that was felt early Friday afternoon from the coast to inland areas of Southern California.

The quake was reported just before 2 p.m. about 7 miles northwest of Malibu in the Santa Monica Mountains. More than a dozen aftershocks, the largest of magnitudes 3.0 and 2.7, were reported within an hour in the same area.

"It's got a very robust aftershock sequence," said seismologist Dr. Lucy Jones, adding that the possibility that the quake was a foreshock to a larger seismic event rapidly diminishes over time.

Shaking was reported throughout the greater Los Angeles area, possibly by as many as 12 million people. The quake was felt from the LA, Orange and Ventura county coasts, including the South Bay and Long Beach, to inland areas like the San Fernando Valley, downtown LA, Riverside, Irvine and Anaheim.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... ot-survive
As lava sprayed out of a volcano on Iceland’s Reykjanes peninsula for the third time in as many months on Thursday, Sigurdur Enoksson felt the eruption spelled an end to his life in the town he had called home for three decades.

“This did it. I think we lost this battle,” said Sigurdur, who owns a family bakery employing 10 people in Grindavík. “After 29 years of having my bakery, I think this is the end. I think we are not coming back [to] Grindavík.” The latest eruption did not pose a direct threat to the town, but caused lava to hit water pipes in the region, affecting hot water supply for more than 20,000 people.

Sigurdur, 59, was planning to wind down towards retirement before the onset of the cataclysmic eruptions that have destroyed homes and wrenched gaping cracks in the Earth. The town’s future has since been thrown into question, with scientists fearing volcanic outbreaks could continue for years. “They’re saying eruption [could] be part of our lives for maybe years. How can you [run] a business with that?
After this most recent eruption, I suspect that they may be right. :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

parts of Iceland are feeling the cold

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The Blue Lagoon exists because of the power plant, and they are in the same area.

I will be there in June. Wonder if it will be active enough to see it, at least at night?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... r-BB1k1jZX
GRINDAVIK, Iceland (AP) — A volcano in Iceland erupted Saturday evening for the fourth time in three months, sending orange jets of lava into the night sky.

Iceland’s Meteorological Office said the eruption opened a fissure in the earth about 3 kilometers (almost 2 miles) long between Stóra-Skógfell and Hagafell mountains on the Reykjanes Peninsula.

The Met Office had warned for weeks that magma — semi-molten rock — was accumulating under the ground, making an eruption likely.

Hundreds of people were evacuated from the Blue Lagoon thermal spa, one of Iceland’s top tourist attractions, when the eruption began, national broadcaster RUV said.

No flight disruptions were reported at nearby Keflavik, Iceland’s main airport.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Has some video of the initial outbreak, defensive barriers ought to deflect the lava from harming infrastructure.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for posting.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Incredible video.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

note: skips to actuual start of content

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Isak Finbogasson is live right now, he's been streaming a while. It's getting darker so the lava looks really gorgeous. He just said he's going to be changing his settings because of losing daylight, so I'm guessing he's planning on continuing to stream for a while. He's a great drone operator and zooming in on really nice areas of lava flow.
Edit: Here is the updated stream after he reset the drone and put in a new battery. I left the earlier stream below

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Two big quakes in Taiwan, 7.4 & 6.5 preliminary.
Estiveo_20240402_175348.jpg
Estiveo_20240402_175348.jpg (143.24 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Image Image Image Image
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

We just had an earthquake here in the NYC metro area at about 10:25 ET this morning. Gentle rolling and shaking for about 15 seconds. No objects moving off the desk and nothing broken. However, definite flexing of the building, bouncing of the monitor screen, etc. I'm guessing about a 4.0-4.5 on the Richter scale. Wonder where the epicenter was.

This was about the same shaking as the 2011 Washington DC area earthquake, which was a 5.8, but was about 300 miles away. I'm guessing the epicenter was much closer than that one, which was about 300 miles away.

Update: Twitter is all over it. This source claims 4.8 magnitude with epicenter in western New Jersey:

tek

Post by tek »

Ivana Trump stirring in her grave?
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:32 am We just had an earthquake here in the NYC metro area at about 10:25 ET this morning. Gentle rolling and shaking for about 15 seconds. No objects moving off the desk and nothing broken. However, definite flexing of the building, bouncing of the monitor screen, etc. I'm guessing about a 4.0-4.5 on the Richter scale. Wonder where the epicenter was.

This was about the same shaking as the 2011 Washington DC area earthquake, which was a 5.8, but was about 300 miles away. I'm guessing the epicenter was much closer than that one, which was about 300 miles away.

Update: Twitter is all over it. This source claims 4.8 magnitude with epicenter in western New Jersey:

My heart is still racing from this. This was nothing like what I felt in California when I lived in the valley. Luckily back then we were pretty insulated from some of the major quakes. I remember the last one we had back then our lantern swung and it felt like I was on acid when I looked at the floor. This one today my whole house shook and it was loud. My friends as far as connecticut felt it. The DC one wasn't that bad I just remember the floor looking like it was moving.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

(as seen elsewhere ...)

BREAKING: The Trump Organization has filed a $4.5B damage claim for the Trump Tower.

BREAKING: Ted Cruz announced from his emergency action facility in Cancun that he is refusing to offer aid to New Jersey.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

And here come the Q-Anon conspiracy beliefs.

Return to “Science”