E. Jean Carroll v. Donald J. Trump and United States of America (poll added!)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

What will the jury decide?

Trump liable for rape; award of more than a million dollars
63%
Trump liable for rape; award of less than a million dollars
19%
Trump liable for rape; award of one dollar (it's possible!)
3%
Trump not liable for rape or assault
4%
Hung jury, which means mistrial and new trial later
11%

Total votes: 72

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:52 pm Reality Check, thanks again for the great work posting all those Xits from @InnerCityPress, I read them all with great interest and I felt like I had a good clue about what was going on in the courtroom. You gave us a ton of useful information.
:snippity:
You are very welcome. As a great Fogbower once said I live to serve. It was really my pleasure. This is a wonderful community. :bighug:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Brad Heath
@bradheath
Collateral estoppel, how does it work?
Acyn
@Acyn
·
46m
Habba: You are not allowed to be told that you can't bring it up…
6:04 PM · Jan 26, 2024
·
Views
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:49 pm I guess we know what happens now when yer pretty lawyer fakes being smart.

Also...

:bwahaha:
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1751008 ... 79768?s=20
Acyn @Acyn wrote: Habba: You are not allowed to be told that you can't bring it up…
SIT DOWN :!:

ps. :think: ..... bring it up on appeal, that you on behalf of your client have been prohibited from throwing ketchup :twisted:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:05 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:04 pm Ya know....I'm starting to get the impression that this Habba lady might not be very good at this lawyerin' stuff.... :think:
I don't understand how she could have lost. She's pretty, right? Does that not count for anything anymore? What is this America we are living in?
Well, she may be pretty now but she is almost forty so she will pass her sell by date (in Trump's opinion) very soon. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, has anyone else noticed that the damages for defamation against her were much higher than the damages for sexually assaulting her in the first place? I noticed that, but I will not object. If today's jury gave a little crossover penalty, there's no way to prove it.

In fact, I think pointing that out to him might help him with his blood pressure, which simply is not high enough.

Jeez, did it really shut him up for a while? :shock:
Katie Porter '28
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Life after "T" - will she qualify to serve cofeve at Bill Barrs collection of attorneys at law :?:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:56 pm https://x.com/mehdirhasan/status/175100 ... 82847?s=20
Mehdi Hasan @mehdirhasan wrote: Much more important than the 83 million dollar verdict is the recognition from a member of the U.S. judiciary that Trump and his supporters remain a violent threat to ordinary Americans.
erica orden @eorden wrote: Judge Kaplan, to jurors: "My advice to you is that you never disclose that you were on this jury."
Always good advise to a jury that finds against a mob boss.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Oh, he'll appeal. Grounds? What are those for?
https://x.com/BrianManookian/status/175 ... 99067?s=20
Brian Manookian @BrianManookian wrote: Let me ruin the suspense for everyone. Trump doesn't have an appeal.

I know the talking heads on TV (who have never tried a case or appealed a jury verdict) have to mention it. Here's why it isn't going to fly.

To have a meritorious appeal, you have to preserve a reversible error at the trial level. This is why you hire competent counsel. You need someone who actually knows the rules of evidence and procedure.

Alina Habba had no clue what was occurring throughout the trial. She not only failed to preserve any remote grounds for appeal, like a moron, she repeatedly and unintentionally waived them over and over.

For example, she kept saying "no objection" as exhibits were entered into evidence.

It appeared to me that she was saying that because she that's something she had heard real lawyers say before.

Unfortunately for Mr. Trump, what she was doing over and over was waiving his ability to appeal over those evidentiary issues. Because she is a moron who would rather *play* lawyer than do the research to *be* a lawyer.

There's no appeal here. And because people have asked me in the past, no, there is no such thing as an incompetent counsel defense in civil cases. That's for criminal matters.

Take this verdict to the bank.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Alina, you're a pretty little thing, but you're not a really smart lawyer. So I got Beck's Badasses from the Midgar slums here to explain what "compensatory damages" are. Let me know if this is a bit too intellectual for you.

poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Shawn Crowley was just on with Chris Hayes. He announced that E. Jean and Robbie Kaplan will be on Rachel Maddow Monday night.
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:46 pm Oh, he'll appeal. Grounds? What are those for?
That $90M he needs isn't going to grift itself.
Image ImageImage
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:41 pm $83.3 million total.

Expect, among other post-verdict motions, that $65M is excessive in relation to the $18.3M for actual damages.

(65/18.3 = 3.55, for the math/legal nerds.)
I know I'm very late on this response, but this is the first chance I've had to get to the computer.

I suspect that EJCarroll's chances of collecting anything from the orangeasshole are just about equal to me winning the $200million Australian Powerball jackpot this Thursday.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:46 pm ... Grounds? What are those for?
:snippity:
Making Cofevee
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bob

Post by bob »

keith wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:33 pm I suspect that EJCarroll's chances of collecting anything from the orangeasshole are just about equal to me winning the $200million Australian Powerball jackpot this Thursday.
I expect her estate will eventually collect from his estate.
Image ImageImage
W. Kevin Vicklund

bob wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:41 pm $83.3 million total.

Expect, among other post-verdict motions, that $65M is excessive in relation to the $18.3M for actual damages.

(65/18.3 = 3.55, for the math/legal nerds.)
Usually it's capped at 3x compensatory, correct? So likely about $57M after it gets reduced.
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

Post by Walt Tuttle »

Not mine, but seen elsewhere:

At this rate Melania will have to marry E Jean Carroll to see any of Trump’s money.

Edit: more better English
bob

Post by bob »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:54 pm Usually it's capped at 3x compensatory, correct? So likely about $57M after it gets reduced.
For most areas of law, there is no hard cap.

But several courts have seemed to settle on an unofficial rule that anything over 4:1 (and sometimes 3:1) violates due process. But there are outlier cases (on either end).

And there are reasonable policy concerns that wealthy defendants won't be motivated by less-than-painful punitive damages.
Image ImageImage
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Some reddit lawyer claims the full judgment has to be put into court-controlled escrow before there can be an appeal.

I have no idea if that's factual, but it is entertaining.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:50 pm I hope he regrets ever coming down those escalator steps.
as he lays in a stroke induced supine position where he has to watch his spawn fight over who has to change his shitty diapers

#trumpstinks
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Heard by ways of MTN that he started truthing, and he gives himself shocked over this prosecution by Bidens goons, but he totally did not mention any names, no judge, no plaintiff.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:22 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:54 pm Usually it's capped at 3x compensatory, correct? So likely about $57M after it gets reduced.

But several courts have seemed to settle on an unofficial rule that anything over 4:1 (and sometimes 3:1) violates due process. But there are outlier cases (on either end).

And there are reasonable policy concerns that wealthy defendants won't be motivated by less-than-painful punitive damages.
Just saw a great Robbie Kaplan interview with Anderson Cooper. She gives her take on the ratio for punative damages--she ways 6:1--and how much TFG will have to cough up for bond in order to appeal--20 percent.

Here's a link to the interview. Must watch!

https://x.com/AC360/status/1751059241345974286?s=20
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Fun!

$83. 3 Million dollars that was the verdict! $83. 3 Million dollars Trump must pay E. Jean Carroll 🎶 so pay up.... TRUMP!!

https://x.com/itsJohnWalsh/status/17510 ... 93616?s=20
W. Kevin Vicklund

bob wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:22 pm

I may be thinking of sanctions on attorneys
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:04 pm Heard by ways of MTN that he started truthing, and he gives himself shocked over this prosecution by Bidens goons, but he totally did not mention any names, no judge, no plaintiff.
They exaggerate. He’s hardly Truthed anything and what he has was pretty tame.

So far.

Hope springs eternal.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He's not the one who typed up that "Truth."
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”