It sucks growing old

AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug: :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:thumbsup:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

I don't know if this relates to getting old, but...

I wake up several times a night due to pain.In the wee hours I woke up around 2 or 2:30 and got back to sleep around 4:30. Except for pain, I was fine.

I woke up at 7:30, three hours later, not fine. Solidly congested and dripping like an open fireplug. What the ????

(COVID test was negative. May try it again tomorrow.)
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
MN-Skeptic

It sucks growing old

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Flu? RSV?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Pain where?
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:20 pmPain where?
Leg and glute pain. Spinal nerves.
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:18 pmFlu? RSV?
I’m hoping a nasty head cold. Flu or RSV would have to have gotten past the vaccines. Not that it couldn’t happen.

Feels worse than COVID. We’ll see how tomorrow goes. Or tonight.
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:55 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:20 pmPain where?
Leg and glute pain. Spinal nerves.
I'm going with MN - possible flu.

I'd work my way through aspirin, then tylenol, and then ibuprofen to see how the body responds. Benedryl or Tylenol PM is worth a try as well. Make note which one makes you feel the best, and continue to use that. Rest. Stay at home. Stay hydrated, and pay attention to your urine color. Boost your water with some lemon juice. Feed a fever, starve a cold, but keep it lean, and limit dairy. Ressurect your Neti Pot if you have one. And if this lasts more than 48 hours, see your doctor.

Get well soon.
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:12 am Stay hydrated, and pay attention to your urine color.
Uh-oh, what color should I be looking for?

I'm taking Theraflu, but I hesitate to do that because of the 15 million other things I'm taking.

Another negative COVID test, so that's good.
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:29 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:12 am Stay hydrated, and pay attention to your urine color.

I'm taking Theraflu, but I hesitate to do that because of the 15 million other things I'm taking.

If you are not taking anti-biotics, or high dose multivitamins, and if you are only drinking clear liquids, you want it clear or lightly yellow. If you are pissing school bus paint, increase your plain water, stop taking vitamins, and decrease your OTC drugs. If it's saffron, get to the ER. If you have massive lower back pain, get to the ER for possible kidney issues.
sugar magnolia

It sucks growing old

Post by sugar magnolia »

We're iced in and my mother is in an ambulance on the way to the ER. She has been doing so well at home she no longer has any help at night and last night, she got up in the middle of the night and went to the kitchen for some reason, sans life alert of course, and fell. No injuries from the fall and she managed to make it back to bed. Her day time aide called my idiot sister this morning when she got there and the idiot sister almost killed herself driving the 2 miles in the ice to get to her. The ambulance showed up right after she did and off she went. I'll give it an hour or so for them to get her checked in and all that stuff then head up to the hospital. Once I navigate the 30 ft of treachery that is my driveway and the flat straight block of my street to the main drag it will be thawed out bus lanes for the 3.2 miles to the hospital so I'm hoping I'm okay. Someone really needs to be with her because "doctor talk" really confuses her once it gets past "you're sick" and she never remembers what they say or what they tell her to do about it.

My guess is another raging UTI. Fever, dark urine and disoriented. At least I hope that's all it is. Wish me luck on the roads and that I don't slide into the across-the-street neighbor's front yard trying to get out of my driveway.
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

Take care.
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Hidden Content
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Hidden Content
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Hidden Content
sugar magnolia

It sucks growing old

Post by sugar magnolia »

Home again, home again, jiggety jig. As expected, a raging UTI with the addition of (suspected) gall stones. She's being admitted (eventually) for the UTI and possible surgery. Super busy in the ER with 6 Code Blue and 2 "Dr Redd" (fire alarm) in the 4 hours I was there. She'll be lucky to get a room by morning.
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:22 pm
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:24 pm Home again, home again, jiggety jig. As expected, a raging UTI with the addition of (suspected) gall stones. She's being admitted (eventually) for the UTI and possible surgery. Super busy in the ER with 6 Code Blue and 2 "Dr Redd" (fire alarm) in the 4 hours I was there. She'll be lucky to get a room by morning.
Thoughts and Prayers finally paid off.

AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:24 pm Home again, home again, jiggety jig. As expected, a raging UTI with the addition of (suspected) gall stones. She's being admitted (eventually) for the UTI and possible surgery. Super busy in the ER with 6 Code Blue and 2 "Dr Redd" (fire alarm) in the 4 hours I was there. She'll be lucky to get a room by morning.
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:47 pm
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:41 am
pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:29 am

If you are not taking anti-biotics, or high dose multivitamins, and if you are only drinking clear liquids, you want it clear or lightly yellow. If you are pissing school bus paint, increase your plain water, stop taking vitamins, and decrease your OTC drugs. If it's saffron, get to the ER. If you have massive lower back pain, get to the ER for possible kidney issues.
I'm terrible about staying hydrated unless it's hot, then I get thirsty but still don't drink enough. I'm not sure what saffron urine would look like-dark? I'm temporarily on sulfasalazine, which can add color. Congestion is better, but man do the joints and muscles hurt. Can still just walk around a small area. Can't even get mail. Blah blah blah. I will have to log into work tomorrow. Can't keep slacking.
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

From all the descriptions during the plague, I'm surprised the health care system hasn't collapsed. Do they take age into account when it comes to admission?

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”