A General thread for 2024 Presidential Elections

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Say it ain't so!
Dead voters' names found among Vivek Ramaswamy's R.I. nomination papers: report

Rhode Island election officials found dead people's names on nomination papers submitted by conservative presidential hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy, the Boston Globe reported Thursday.

According to the Warwick Board of Canvassers, “several deceased voters” were found on Ramaswamy's nomination papers, the Globe reports. It also said it invalidated an "unusually high number" of signatures on his nomination papers.

“The Board of Elections asked for local boards of canvassers to be extra vigilant and to notify them if they see patterns of fraudulent signatures,” state Board of Elections spokesperson Ben Smith told the paper.

“They were asking to take a closer look at all nomination papers, and in this case the nomination papers for Ramaswamy.”
:snippity:
https://www.rawstory.com/vivek-ramaswamy-2666933942/ (original Boston Globe)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

OMFSM - the guy has skeletons in his basement :lol:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Republican caucuses in Iowa will be at 7pm, Monday evening.

I was looking at the weather forecast for Des Moines on Monday. At 7pm, the air temperature will be -7°. The wind chill factor will be -28°.
bob

Post by bob »

Is there a mail-in caucus? :think:
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

"For completeness," Uygur (ob. "and his co-plaintiff") filed their NOA; it is onto the 4th Cir. :roll:
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

"For completeness," Uygur (ob. "and his co-plaintiff") filed their NOA; it is onto the 4th Cir. :roll:
4th Cir. Case No. 24-1052.

Uygur has moved to expedite, which I expect to be granted, as South Carolina votes in March.
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Medium: Cenk’s best argument:
Lawernce Lessig* wrote:In October, Cenk announced he was a candidate for President. Unlike others (or at least one) have been, Cenk’s campaign is not focused exclusively on that “one issue.” Instead, it is focused more fundamentally on the threat to our democracy if (or, in his view, when) Joe Biden loses to Donald Trump.

Yet Cenk has argued for many years that the Constitution, as amended, erases the “natural born Citizen” qualification, not expressly, but by implication. Many disagree with that reading of the Constitution. And indeed, I have told Cenk that I believe that the Supreme Court would not read the “natural born Citizen” qualification out of the Constitution. But having read the arguments of many about why Cenk’s argument is “crazy,” I thought it might be valuable to sketch in brief (what I consider to be) the strongest argument on Cenk’s side. (This argument tracks the argument made almost 20 years ago by Paul Clark in his paper, Limiting the Presidency to Natural Born Citizens Violates Due Process. For reasons I explain, there is no substantive difference between speaking of Due Process and Equal Protection.)

Bottom line: I don’t predict Cenk would win his fight in the Supreme Court; this is not a time when the Court seems keen to articulate even greater protection against invidious discrimination (except maybe when it’s about ballot recounts in Florida, see Bush v. Gore (2000)). But the argument is not crazy, and it is certainly high time that it be heard in earnest.
* Lessig teaches at Harvard Law.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Biden’s name won’t appear on New Hampshire ballots – where does that leave Democrats?
The president’s absence opens a window for Dean Phillips and Marianne Williamson to mount longshot presidential bids

Adam Gabbatt in Salem, New Hampshire
Mon 22 Jan 2024 12.00 CET

While Donald Trump and Nikki Haley might draw focus, a shadow presidential primary is taking place in New Hampshire, where Joe Biden could stumble at the first hurdle of his bid to run for president again in 2024 following an internal Democratic party feud.

As a consequence of the party scrap, Biden’s name will not even appear on the ballot in the Granite state on Tuesday. While the president remains the favorite to win his party’s overall nomination, his absence here has opened a window for Dean Phillips, a Democratic congressman from Minnesota, and Marianne Williamson, an author and self-help guru who ran for president in 2020, to mount longshot presidential bids.

The pair have spent weeks campaigning in the state, pitching different visions for the future. Phillips, 55, has touted his reputation as a centrist; his record of working with Republicans to get things done; and the fact that he is 26 years younger than Biden.

Williamson, who withdrew from the 2020 race before the Iowa caucuses, is selling more of a deviation from the current administration. A progressive, she would introduce free college tuition, declare a climate emergency and ‘Department of Peace’ which would be tasked with avoiding war abroad and tackling white supremacy at home.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... williamson
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-23/ ... /103378702

The attorney general's office in the US state of New Hampshire is investigating reports that an apparent robocall used artificial intelligence (AI) to mimic President Joe Biden's voice, discouraging voters from going to the polls.

Key points:

​​​​​​​The call generates a voice similar to Joe Biden's and tells listeners to "save your vote for the November election"
The calls falsely show the call coming from the phone number of New Hampshire Democratic Party chair Kathy Sullivan
Experts say the AI call is a "sign of things to come" surrounding the weaponisation of technology in the 2024 US election

The recorded message, which was sent to multiple voters on Sunday (local time), appears to be an illegal attempt to disrupt and suppress voting in Tuesday's primary election, Attorney General John Formella said on Monday.

Mr Formella said voters "should disregard the contents of this message entirely".
bob

Post by bob »

4th Cir. Case No. 24-1052.

Uygur has moved to expedite, which I expect to be granted, as South Carolina votes in March.
No movement in the 4th, but, "for completeness," D.S.C.'s ruling upholding Uygur's exclusion from the South Carolina primary.

(The judge was a Reagan nominee, BTW.)
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just an idle observation. CNN's camped out at this restaurant today, around 6AM my time I see this older gent with a very long, full beard take a seat behind those anchors. Now it's almost 10AM and it appears the elder gent is still in the same spot, but now he's behind Dana Bash. :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Polls close in just half an hour. Too much time watching MSNBC today at my dad's. Can't take any more excitement, do you know this is the only important thing happening in America and the world? No, seriously, this is it. Nothing else going on. MSNBC told me two dozen times, all eyes everywhere are on the undeclared voters in New Hampshire.

And if Haley loses by less than 10 points, well then, good sirs and madams, the media has DONE ITS JOB by turning a pile of horseshit into a horse race. By golly.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Ron Filipkowski
@RonFilipkowski

Dean Phillips lost when he was the only one on the ballot. That’s hard to do.
Biden was a write-in candidate. He beat Phillips.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:31 pm Polls close in just half an hour. Too much time watching MSNBC today at my dad's. Can't take any more excitement, do you know this is the only important thing happening in America and the world? No, seriously, this is it. Nothing else going on. MSNBC told me two dozen times, all eyes everywhere are on the undeclared voters in New Hampshire.

And if Haley loses by less than 10 points, well then, good sirs and madams, the media has DONE ITS JOB by turning a pile of horseshit into a horse race. By golly.
This segment form the Onion News Network sums up media savy about other stuff that's going on.

(This is 16 years old)
Hic sunt dracones
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

he's gonna pick Tim Scott to pander to the black vote
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Well, good sirs and madams, we have a horseshit race now!

Thank you, MSNBC and all other American fake news media! :fuckyou:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:17 pm
Ron Filipkowski
@RonFilipkowski

Dean Phillips lost when he was the only one on the ballot. That’s hard to do.
Biden was a write-in candidate. He beat Phillips.
I’m sure, somewhere, somehow, that’s bad news for Biden.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:14 pm Well, good sirs and madams, we have a horseshit race now!

Thank you, MSNBC and all other American fake news media! :fuckyou:
I didn't even watch any of the coverage last night. There was no news. Maybe it would have been news is if Haley had won.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/collins-s ... itter_page
Republican Sen. Susan Collins has said she won’t endorse Donald Trump even if he becomes her party’s nominee.

The Hill reports that the Maine senator was asked whether she can see herself getting behind Trump if he wins the nomination to which she replied, “I do not at this point.”

The centrist senator was one of seven Senate Republicans to vote in favor of impeaching Trump for inciting the Jan. 6 insurrection.

Collins said she was optimistic about Nikki Haley’s chances against Trump, despite the former South Carolina governor losing the New Hampshire primary by 11 points to the former president on Tuesday. However, she stopped short of saying that Haley would receive her endorsement either.

“I’m glad to hear last night that Nikki Haley is determined to stay in [the race.] I think the more people see of her, particularly since she appears to be the only alternative to Donald Trump right now, the more impressed they will be,” she said.

Collins said she declined to endorse Haley at the start of the primary race because she is close with a number of then-candidates including former Vice President Mike Pence, former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson and Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) and “didn’t want to choose among them.”
:yawn:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

She’ll come around once she decides tfg has learned his lesson.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

“at this point” doing the work.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Susan Collins is a skilled decision avoider.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:50 am Susan Collins is a skilled decision avoider.
She just has concerns.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:37 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:50 am Susan Collins is a skilled decision avoider.
She just has concerns.
Is that like having female problems?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:47 am
neonzx wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:37 am
She just has concerns.
Is that like having female problems?
She was just agreeing with
Trump said in a CNN interview. "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.

Return to “US President”