State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by Reality Check »

Adam Klasfeld is live blogging on Threads. Kise is up now with a slide show.
https://www.threads.net/@adamklasfeld/post/C19qYHLObsp
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Reality Check wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:24 am Adam Klasfeld is live blogging on Threads. Kise is up now with a slide show.
Thank you.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:51 am
Reality Check wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:24 am Adam Klasfeld is live blogging on Threads. Kise is up now with a slide show.
Thank you.
The Xitter link seems to have more posts:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:03 am https://x.com/TristanSnell/status/17454 ... 58404?s=20
Tristan Snell @TristanSnell wrote: BREAKING: Bomb threat at home of Judge Engoron, the judge presiding over the NY AG civil fraud case against Trump. Bomb squad on site now.

Closing arguments in the case are TODAY. Looks like an attempt to delay - but by whom?

Did Trump himself have anything to do with it?
Trump doesn't need to order this. His sycophants will do it for him without instruction. The problem is he won't decry their actions, or tell them to stop. He almost thanks them for their loyalty, and in that he enables the next one.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Reality Check wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:08 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:51 am
Thank you.
The Xitter link seems to have more posts:
https:// twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1745453989330895236?s=20
Yeah, but with the *new* twitter, peeps like me who don't/won't have an account can't see them. Sigh.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Alina Habba, an attorney representing former President Donald Trump as well as Trump Organization executives, is now speaking in the defense's closing arguments.

Habba began her presentation by attacking New York Attorney General Letitia James and accusing her of a politically motivated prosecution of Trump.

"You are now being dragged through a political agenda," Habba said to Judge Arthur Engoron.

"If they wanted to commit fraud," Habba said of her clients, “why would they select Deutsche Bank, Zurich Insurance, some of the most sophisticated, highly regulated companies in the world? It makes no sense.”
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:28 pm https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html]
"If they wanted to commit fraud," Habba said of her clients, “why would they select Deutsche Bank, Zurich Insurance, some of the most sophisticated, highly regulated companies in the world? It makes no sense.”
Dear Alina, bless her heart, doesn't understand her clients are not advised of being intelligent fraudsters!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Same CNN link as upthread.
Donald Trump attorney Alina Habba focused her arguments during the closing for her clients Jeff McConney and Allen Weisselberg, who are former executives at the Trump Organization and co-defendants in the case.

They're named as defendants because New York Attorney General Letitia James wants to get to Trump, Habba alleged.

"They're trying to intimidate my other clients to get to him," Habba said. “They want you to believe that if a human error exists, that is perfect, perfect for the Attorney General Ms. James to come after Trump. It is not."

Habba knocked the insurance fraud claims against McConney, the former Trump Organization controller, and Weisselberg, the former chief financial officer, in the attorney general’s complaint.

She noted that the insurance company in the complaint, Zurich, issued Trump’s company seven bonds in 2023.

Habba also added that McConney was being unfairly targeted when he relied on Mazars, Trump’s accounting firm, and is not himself an accountant.

“The man stood here and cried, and said he was tired of being bullied, tired of being subpoenaed, when all he did was his best work,” Habba said.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Following both Klasfeld and Inner City Press on xitter, and peeking at Rubin.

Interesting how they're all a bit different.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Moar from CNN update link.
Donald Trump attorney Chris Kise is now asking Judge Arthur Engoron to reconsider letting the former president speak for two to three minutes.

Engoron asked Trump if he will promise to just comment on the facts in the case.

"Well I think your honor that I think this case goes outside just the facts," Trump responded, speaking from the defense table.

He then launched into a monologue.

“The facts are the financial statements are perfect, that there are no witnesses against us. The banks got all their money paid back. There were great loans," Trump continued.
Donald Trump, from the defense table, has been commenting on the case as closing arguments concluded, and Judge Arthur Engoron has not interrupted.

“The facts are the financial statements are perfect, that there are no witnesses against us. The banks got all their money paid back. There were great loans," Trump said.

“This was a political witch hunt,” Trump added, claiming that “we should receive damages."

“We have a situation where I’m an innocent man I’ve been persecuted by somebody running for office and I think you have to go outside the bounds," the former president said.

"What’s happened here sir is a fraud on me,” Trump said. "They want to make sure that I don't win again and this is partially election interference."
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I hope this ends with the Judge telling him to shut up.

Giving Trump 2 or 3 minutes means he will take 3 hours.
Hic sunt dracones
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/stat ... 3095028806
Raffi Melkonian
@RMFifthCircuit
If I were the judge, given the backstory here, I would sanction Kise.
Lisa Rubin
@lawofruby
·NEW: Chris Kise asks for permission to have Trump speak. Engoron, “Do you promise to just comment on the facts and the law?” Trump starts talking immediately without agreeing.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I think it was Stern who once mentioned here that an opening statement is like a promissory note of the facts of your case you intend to demonstrate to the jury (or judge) throughout the trial. The closing statement, therefore, would summarize how you fulfilled the promises given in the opening statement and remind the jury (or judge) how you proved the guilt, or provided reasonable doubt (for the defense in criminal cases)/demonstrated the lack of a preponderance of the evidence (for civil).

The Trump team's closing is just a whine-fest intended not for the person who makes the decision but for the crowd (and Trump).
101010 :towel:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

From the tidbits we're getting, it sounds like Habba's closing arguement* was just as bad as fuckheads--without the direct snarls at Engoron.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I think Engeron would be justified in revoking Kise's pro hac vice admission, among other sanctions. Judge Denny Chin entered an order, affirmed by the Second Circuit, precluding Larry Klayman from ever being admitted pro hac vice before him again.

It was weird that Engeron even considered permitting Trump to speak, and odd that he relented at the last minute. However, in view of a record that clearly shows that there's no love lost between the judge and Trump's counsel, he might have wanted the record also to show that he gave them every opportunity to make their case, including leeway to which they were not entitled.

It also occurs to me that the judge could make a finding that Trump's behavior in court demonstrated that he is a person who is unwilling to conform to legal constraints on his conduct. I don't know if it would fly, but so long as the judge didn't push it too hard, it might be received sympathetically by an appeals court.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Looks like Endgoron got bulldozed. He asked fucked if he was willing to comply; fuckhead ignored his question and began the rant.

Makes Engoron look like an idiot. I suggest he add another couple hundred thou to the disgorgement.

I mean, whatever the amount is, fuckhead is going to claim Engoron hates him and penalized him because of that.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:23 pm Looks like Endgoron got bulldozed. He asked fucked if he was willing to comply; fuckhead ignored his question and began the rant.

Makes Engoron look like an idiot. I suggest he add another couple hundred thou to the disgorgement.

I mean, whatever the amount is, fuckhead is going to claim Engoron hates him and penalized him because of that.
Disagree, I don't think it makes Engoron look like an idiot. I agree with chancery's thought:
he might have wanted the record also to show that he gave them every opportunity to make their case, including leeway to which they were not entitled
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Looks like he and Habba didn't stay for the AG's arguments, he's making a speech in one of his Trump buildings. CNN showing live, but promised to fact check afterwards.
Edit: Walt Nauta was there.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:39 pm
p0rtia wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:23 pm Looks like Endgoron got bulldozed. He asked fucked if he was willing to comply; fuckhead ignored his question and began the rant.

Disagree, I don't think it makes Engoron look like an idiot. I agree with chancery's thought:
he might have wanted the record also to show that he gave them every opportunity to make their case, including leeway to which they were not entitled
IMO we are so far beyond Engoron -- or any other judge -- being perceived as not prostrating himself to allow fuckhead to walk all over him it isn't funny. This isn't "every opportunity", this is the ongoing disintegration of the judicial system.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Walt Nauta = tfg's blankie, esp since Ivanka isn't around much any more to fill that role.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:00 pm Walt Nauta = tfg's blankie, esp since Ivanka isn't around much any more to fill that role.
It's kind of creepy how he's just everywhere tfg goes.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

tfg has to keep him in his sight all the time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Off Topic
Some of you must remember the computer game Lemmings, yes?

In this photo off CNN's blog from the courtroom, doesn't Alina Habba look like one of those lemmings who has stopped walking, started shaking, and will explode self-destructively in 10, 9, 8, 7,…?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Don't come crying to us when you lose, Donald. We told you Habba is a mess and that you needed a real civil rights decedent.

Taitz Habba.JPG
Taitz Habba.JPG (179.74 KiB) Viewed 63508 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”