State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:47 pm https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... nc-vpx.cnn
Documents obtained by CNN show that Trump and his legal team weren't willing to agree on terms set by a judge in regards to the former president being able to speak during closing arguments in his New York civil fraud trial and attempted to use the death of Melania Trump's mom to postpone the closing arguments. CNN's Katelyn Polantz reports.
Justice Engoron I am sad to advise the Court that Mrs. Trump's mother passed away this evening. Because of the challenges presented by this deeply personal family matter, President Trump has asked that I request the Court postpone the date for closing argument until on or after January 29, 2024, so that he may attend and participate in the Court proceedings. Respectfully, Chris Kise
Dear Mr. Kise I am sorry to hear the sad news. The request to postpone tomorrow's closing arguments is denied. I'm sure you realize, although you may not realize to what extent, that every appearance of Mr. Trump requires court officers, court clerks, administrators, security details, technical people, etc. to rearrange their schedules and to plan for the day. The administration even had to "evict" the jury trial currently taking place in Room 300 for tomorrow. Of course, I am also anxious to hear a full day of closing statements as I consider the case as a whole. On balance, going forward makes the most sense. Please tell Mr. Trump that I am sorry. I still hope and expect to hear from you by 11:00 AM this morning as to whether all this is even an issue. Justice Engoron
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks! Here's a good point from OAG's first reaction to hearing that TFG wanted to do a closing:
Moreover, Mr. Trump had the right to present testimony on Defendants' affirmative case but elected at the last minute not to do so (explaining in a subsequent social media post that he "already testified to everything and [has] nothing more to say"). Allowing Mr. Trump to participate in closing arguments would effectively grant him an opportunity to testify without being subject to cross-examination, thereby depriving the People of a fundamental right to their significant prejudice - especially in light of the Court's prior determination that Mr. Trump was not a credible witness
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Wow. Don't mess with the judge.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I love the idea that TFG's attorneys somehow want us to believe that he is intimately involved in the funeral arrangements, or even the emotional act of supporting someone else's grief.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:36 pm I haven't seen it in print yet, but heard on CNN that tfg's attorneys have toss the Melania's mother died card onto the table, presumably to delay the hearing. Who had that option on their Bingo card? Will he continue to play it, even after he shows up for the town hall with Hannity tonight? :think: :batting:
He should ask permission to go to the funeral (i assume international travel is blocked at the moment). I'll bet he could get Vlad to come too.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bob

Post by bob »

keith wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:47 pm He should ask permission to go to the funeral (i assume international travel is blocked at the moment). I'll bet he could get Vlad to come too.
Melania's parents naturalized in 2018 (ironically, as recipients of chain migration). They lived near their daughter and grandchild, be it in Florida, New York, or DC. News reports say she was living at MAL.

Rumor was that Melania was living with her parents in Maryland during the previous administration.
Image ImageImage
keith

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:10 pm The emails exchanged between Kise and Engoron (and others): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ge-engoron

Kise (apparently) doesn't know how to use capital letters.
Trump has cornered the market on capital letters.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:53 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:10 pm The emails exchanged between Kise and Engoron (and others): https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ge-engoron

Not a problem for e.e. cummings or that weird birther dude who commented on Doc Conspiracy and other blogs using all lowercase. I forgot who he was (the birther dude, not e.e. cummings).
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:01 pm
keith wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:53 pm

Not a problem for e.e. cummings or that weird birther dude who commented on Doc Conspiracy and other blogs using all lowercase. I forgot who he was (the birther dude, not e.e. cummings).
And don't forget k.d. lang.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

re the attempt to postpone closing arguments: I understand that the former guy is volountary attending these proceedings. So no loss for him if he does not show up while his attorney speaks.
keith

Post by keith »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:51 pm
keith wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:47 pm He should ask permission to go to the funeral (i assume international travel is blocked at the moment). I'll bet he could get Vlad to come too.
Melania's parents naturalized in 2018 (ironically, as recipients of chain migration). They lived near their daughter and grandchild, be it in Florida, New York, or DC. News reports say she was living at MAL.

Rumor was that Melania was living with her parents in Maryland during the previous administration.
Bu, bu, but what if she wanted to be buried in family plot in home country? Don Fredrickovich to Ruskie dacha, da?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Do we have any inkling if tfg was truly close to Melania's parents, or if he's just paying lip service to try to get his trial delayed?

Do we know if they'll be buried in the homeland, or in their new home where their daughter and grandson can visit the graves?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Their faces are not on US currency. So, he has no concerns for them.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:41 pm Do we have any inkling if tfg was truly close to Melania's parents, or if he's just paying lip service to try to get his trial delayed?

Do we know if they'll be buried in the homeland, or in their new home where their daughter and grandson can visit the graves?
There was speculation on twitter he'd use it as a delaying tactic.

He doesn't appear to be close to anyone, so who knows?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks. We have an hour or so to go, but I'm betting his grief and whatever won't stop him from his town meeting.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I get "Page not found" when I click on that link.
much ado

Post by much ado »

chancery wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:17 pm

I get "Page not found" when I click on that link.
So do I now, but it was there when I clicked on it a few hours ago. It must have been taken down...
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

I found it on the docket sheet. It's worth reading for the legal analysis set out by the judge, and for the full effect of the pathetic whining on the part of Kise.

Also note the judge's patience and courtesy in extending the response deadline several times.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... PLUS_TPQ==
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Whoo booyyy that’s a great read :)

Thank you
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Showtime! Kise is up first for tfg.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Former President Donald Trump spoke to reporters outside of the courtroom before closing arguments, calling the $370 million lawsuit against him and his company an “unconstitutional witch hunt."

It's "election interference at the highest level" and a "disgrace," Trump said, statements that have been a constant since New York Attorney General Letitia James filed the lawsuit.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Lisa Rubin @lawofruby is live-tweeting.

Good but not as good as Brandi, who alas is not there.
raison de arizona

Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: Trump arrives at NY courthouse whining and crying about how unfair everything is. He says he still hopes the judge will let him give the closing argument.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

⚖️ Hey friends, here's a FREE GIFT LINK: https://wapo.st/48x31z4 to follow along with LIVE UPDATES: Closing arguments underway in New York state’s $370 million civil fraud trial against Donald Trump, his company, and others.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona

https://x.com/TristanSnell/status/17454 ... 58404?s=20
Tristan Snell @TristanSnell wrote: BREAKING: Bomb threat at home of Judge Engoron, the judge presiding over the NY AG civil fraud case against Trump. Bomb squad on site now.

Closing arguments in the case are TODAY. Looks like an attempt to delay - but by whom?

Did Trump himself have anything to do with it?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

trump is dying to make a campaign video out of his “closing statement.”
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”