Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Suranis

Weather Alerts

Post by Suranis »

I am under a Red Storm warning right now from Storm Debi, or will be in about 37 minutes or so.
Status Red - Wind warning for Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, east Galway, south Roscommon

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Extremely gusty on Sunday night and early Monday due to Storm Debi with potential danger to life.

Possible impacts:
- Damage to exposed and vulnerable structures
- Disruption to services and transport
- Significant power outages
- Fallen trees/branches

Valid: 02:00 Monday 13/11/2023 to 05:00 Monday 13/11/2023

Issued: 20:32 Sunday 12/11/2023
Then we will be under a status orange for another 5 hours. Right now (1:20 AM) its pretty quiet out there. A lot of rain but that's it.

weather.jpg
weather.jpg (109.7 KiB) Viewed 20015 times
Hic sunt dracones
tek

Weather Alerts

Post by tek »

Here on Lake Humidity
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Miami FL
443 AM EST Thu Nov 16 2023

.UPDATE...
Issued at 352 AM EST Thu Nov 16 2023

Winds are far over-performing any of the model guidance this
morning. Wind gusts of 60 mph have been observed along the coast
and some marine locations have seen frequent gusts of 50-60 kts.
d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (99.23 KiB) Viewed 19977 times
Chilidog

Weather Alerts

Post by Chilidog »

If the chonky squirrels in my backyard are any indication, it's goona be a cold winter.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Unusual, tornado in AZ.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Yikes!
https://komonews.com/news/local/seattle ... on-weather#
SEATTLE — Get your rain gear ready, western Washington. It’s going to be a wet one this week. An atmospheric river, also known as a pineapple express, is forecast to bring heavy rain to the Puget Sound region.

KOMO News Meteorologist Kristin Clark said widespread river flooding will be top of mind this week as the plume of Pacific moisture from the Hawaiian Islands unleashes a tropical-like deluge over the region through at least Tuesday.

ALSO SEE | Check the radar and see the full western Washington forecast

Clark said between 1-3 inches of rain is possible across the Puget Sound lowlands by early Wednesday morning. The soaking rain is expected to melt the fresh snow that fell in the Cascades over the weekend as snow levels rise to 9,000 feet, creating the possibility for widespread flooding in the lowlands.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... age-storms
More than 200,000 residents in the New England region are without power after heavy rainfall and high winds hit the north-east region Monday to start off the week before Christmas.

Upwards of 100,000 people in New Hampshire and Massachusetts are experiencing power outages amid heavy rainfall, New England Cable News reported. An additional 50,000 residents of New York state have lost power, according to PowerOutage.us, which tracks power outages nationwide.

Swaths of the east coast are experiencing intense rainfall and high winds after storms that began over the weekend. On Saturday and Sunday, several parts of the region experienced record rainfall, with emergency responders carrying out water rescues amid flooding in several states.

On Monday, some north-east areas are expected to receive up to 6in of rain before the storm travels northward, the New York Times reported.

At least 11 states, from Maine to Maryland, are also under a flood watch, ABC News reported. The New York governor, Kathy Hochul, warned that up to f4in of rain could hit parts of the state, with the risk of potential flooding, according to the Associated Press.

A flood advisory had also been issued for New York City until 10.45am ET, where 1 to 1.5in of rain were forecasted. Intense rain and powerful winds on Monday led to the temporary closure of the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge in Staten Island, New York. More than 8,000 city residents are without power as of Monday morning, the local emergency management department reported.
We only got a little rain, compared to places on the coast. But our temps are dropping and there is another storm coming in from the west. I think when it gets farther east, it will add to their problems, but here we are expecting more rain and some snow. Maybe only about an inch or two here, but farther north and in the mountains east and south up to 6 inches. Sort of par for the course in SW PA.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Messages found in Victorian-era dress decoded in Manitoba

CTV News
21 Dec 2023 MANITOBA

Scott Lightfoot reports on a University of Manitoba researcher finally cracking the coded messages found in a Victorian-era dress in the U.S

Dave from down under

Weather Alerts

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-23/ ... /103261502

Government intervention to save red handfish as marine heatwave strikes off south-east Australian coast
tek

Weather Alerts

Post by tek »

it's that time of year again!
falling_iguanas2.jpg
falling_iguanas2.jpg (95.38 KiB) Viewed 19390 times
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

What is the current dropbears forecast like :think:
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

There's Got To Be A Morning After suddenly started playing in my head.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Weather Alerts

Post by Dave from down under »

Video reminder of why not to drive through flood waters

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-02/ ... /103278110
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

It’s going to be damn cold here tonight, going down to 24°F, (-4.44°C). As much as my back hates hauling firewood, we hauled over a good bucket-sized load. (That would be the bucket on the John Deer tractor) It will be nice and toasty warm in the Library tonight. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:51 pm It’s going to be damn cold here tonight, going down to 24°F, (-4.44°C). As much as my back hates hauling firewood, we hauled over a good bucket-sized load. (That would be the bucket on the John Deer tractor) It will be nice and toasty warm in the Library tonight. :thumbsup:
21 here last night. 56 high today. 49 right now. Back in the 60s by this weekend.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... candinavia
Extreme cold and snowstorms have disrupted transportation and closed schools in Scandinavia while strong winds and heavy rain in western Europe have caused flooding and at least one death.

Temperatures fell below -40C in the Nordic region for a second day in a row on Wednesday. In Kvikkjokk-Årrenjarka in Swedish Lapland, the mercury dropped to -43.6C, the lowest January temperature recorded in Sweden in 25 years, Sweden’s TT news agency reported.

Extremely cold temperatures, snow and gale-force winds disrupted transportation throughout the Nordic region, with several bridges closed and some train and ferry services suspended. Several schools in Scandinavia were closed.

Police across most of Denmark urged motorists to avoid unnecessary trips as wind and snow battered the northern and western parts of the country.

The wave of cold air from Siberia and the Arctic region has also swept down over western Russia, with temperatures in Moscow and other areas plummeting to -30C, well below the average temperature for early January.
qbawl

Weather Alerts

Post by qbawl »

kkjokk-Årrenjarka in Swedish Lapland, the mercury dropped to -43.6C, the lowest January temperature recorded in Sweden in 25 years
Okay -43.6C, how much is that in good old U.S. F . . . reedom units?

Never mind Spotlight says -46.48Freedom units and 229.55 Kevins or Klivens or Maybe it was Keiths. No wait kelvins.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Almost -59 F.

I cheated; used a converter.

I don't even need to convert warmer temps anymore. But although I've been to Europe a couple of times in the winter, it wasn't necessary, so I'm clueless. 46.6 C seemed plenty cold to me.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

All I remember is that -40° Celsius equals -40° Fahrenheit. And that's danged cold.
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

meanwhile in northern Europe ...

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

While in my area we got 1-3 inches and the media is calling it a snow storm. 1-3 inches a storm? Maybe in North Carolina but not here. 3 inches is a Tuesday.
101010 :towel:
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Weather Alerts

Post by johnpcapitalist »

northland10 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:37 am While in my area we got 1-3 inches and the media is calling it a snow storm. 1-3 inches a storm? Maybe in North Carolina but not here. 3 inches is a Tuesday.
In most places, 36" of snow in one storm would be called a "Winterpocalypse" or "Snowmageddon," but in Buffalo, they call it "flurries."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

That video of Southern Norway is amazing. But the snow is beautiful. Our first trip to Norway was in the winter, up and down the coast on a ferry, and we had lots of snow. It was stunningly beautiful, but not nearly this much snow. They seemed very capable of handling whatever snow they got.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Holy cats!
AccuWeather @accuweather wrote: Drone video shows the damage in Panama City Beach, Florida, after a tornado tore through early Tuesday morning.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”