It sucks growing old

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

It sucks growing old

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:51 pm Slim, what would Big D have thought, if we all tried to visit him at once, before the end? Gregg's a pretty social guy. I can't think for him. :shrug:
He could talk the ear off a deaf man... ;)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

I have this vision of a couple dozen of us sneaking past security and bringing the doggies in for an unlawful visit. We'll sneak 'em in one a them rolling laundry baskets, this isn't my first time. Just gotta keep the dogs quiet. A dog oughta be able to lie doggo, is my rulin' on the subject.

This is a fantasy, mind you. Nothing real intended ... yet. :towel:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:03 pm I have this vision of a couple dozen of us sneaking past security and bringing the doggies in for an unlawful visit. We'll sneak 'em in one a them rolling laundry baskets, this isn't my first time. Just gotta keep the dogs quiet. A dog oughta be able to lie doggo, is my rulin' on the subject.

This is a fantasy, mind you. Nothing real intended ... yet. :towel:
Some care facilities do allow pets in for a visit. When I was in the hospital for a few months several years ago, hubby was able to bring Sabaka and Tasha (individually, though, not at the same time) to see me. It was exactly what I needed too! We just had to get a notice from our vet certifying they were up to date on all their vaccinations.
sad-cafe

It sucks growing old

Post by sad-cafe »

I'm going to send a card this week.

I can NOT imagine having to go through all of this during the holidays.

Not to mention the most meaningful games of the season....although his beloved Bengals shat the bed and I can't even give him crap about that.................. :(
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:51 pm Slim, what would Big D have thought, if we all tried to visit him at once, before the end? Gregg's a pretty social guy. I can't think for him. :shrug:
Depends on how near the end. The last week when it was obvious he wasn't going to make it, no. But he would have loved to have visitors when he felt ok. In his case, they weren't allowed because his immune system was so compromised so that will also be a factor with Gregg.

In the meantime, how would he feel about video messages? Nothing he would have to interact with, we know that would be frustrating. Just a plain old video Thinking of you, Can't wait until you're back to your old self, kinda thing.

Does anyone here have the skills and time to do a Brady Bunch-esque video? We could selfie-video a short message, 5 seconds or so, with a long pause before and after and piece them fading in and out of a grid so he could hear from us all at once. Maybe not as tiring as lots of individual ones?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

Best to consult family as they know preferences and what he can handle.
jcolvin2
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by jcolvin2 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:28 pm [Does anyone here have the skills and time to do a Brady Bunch-esque video?
We could call it The Malheur-Wood Squares.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Having been on the inside of this with my husband last year, I would say it's way too early to be making plans. I heard a lot of the same stuff in the early days, but when it became obvious he wasn't going to make it, they stopped talking about that. All cases are different, and I hope for a much better outcome, but I'd say wait and see.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

It sucks growing old

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:53 pm Having been on the inside of this with my husband last year, I would say it's way too early to be making plans. I heard a lot of the same stuff in the early days, but when it became obvious he wasn't going to make it, they stopped talking about that. All cases are different, and I hope for a much better outcome, but I'd say wait and see.
My thoughts also. Right now, a card would probably be best for both him and his family. I think it meant as much to me to know how liked and respected my dad was as it did to him. Even moreso once he didn't know the cards and emails were coming. But I knew.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Agreed. Cards only at this time. There was not much to visit during Mrs month long stay in November. Plus you needed to dress up in a clean room suit to enter.
► Show Spoiler
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

It's been a month, and I still cry when I look at these photos.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

His sister asked for no visitors. Cards and letters fine and they will be read to Gregg.

End of discussion, IMO.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yes, but that was this week. I'm hoping he makes some sort of long term recovery that will, someday, allow us to visit.

But you're right, this week, this month, until we hear differently from his sister, absolutely right, no visitors.

This is why I said visiting was a fantasy only.

Please everybody else stay as healthy as possible. :bighug:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

I got that. There’s nothing wrong with having a Plan B. Or a Plan Sometime in the Future when Circumstances Allow.

ImageImageImage x4
Uninformed

It sucks growing old

Post by Uninformed »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:38 pm It's been a month, and I still cry when I look at these photos.
:bighug:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

It sucks growing old

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:27 am I was going to work on a Fogbow Meetup in Cincinnati this summer, mostly because Gregg is there and knows a lot of things we can do together, but now what? Maybe by then he'll be stable enough for a short group visit. There must be some way we can show our love and appreciation for the Gregg who's been such a great friend and contributor to this forum.
I would be up for such a visit, if after further reflection and recovery that it would be something Gregg would like.

As far as stuff to do in the greater Cincinnati area, I can suggest a day trip to Dayton, an hour away, to visit the USAF museum. Frater and I could contribute perspective from our career experience.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

It sucks growing old

Post by raison de arizona »

Uninformed wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:21 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:38 pm It's been a month, and I still cry when I look at these photos.
I just wanted to add my :bighug: :bighug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:49 am
Uninformed wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:21 pm
I just wanted to add my :bighug: :bighug:
Thank you both. It's like I have a form of PTSD. I see something like it on TV, and the same feelings come to the surface. But, I still automatically look at the clock to see if it's time for her meds three times day. I still almost make her bed everyday. I still check her waste paper basket. I still check her wash cloth supply. It's going to be a while I think.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

It sucks growing old

Post by Maybenaut »

In the waiting room waiting for my first appointment with a cardiologist. I’m not having any specific issues, but both of my parents and two of my brothers dropped dead unexpectedly from heart disease. I don’t want to find out I have a problem before it’s too late.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

ImageImageImage x4
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

:bighug: to bill and maybenaut :bighug:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

It sucks growing old

Post by Maybenaut »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:48 am In the waiting room waiting for my first appointment with a cardiologist. I’m not having any specific issues, but both of my parents and two of my brothers dropped dead unexpectedly from heart disease. I don’t want to find out I have a problem before it’s too late.
So far, so good. The cardiologist said the EKG was normal, but I’m right to be concerned. He said that although my parents and brothers were life-long smokers and I’m not, the family history is still concerning. So I have a stress test and an echocardiogram scheduled. for next month.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Rolodex

It sucks growing old

Post by Rolodex »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:25 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:48 am In the waiting room waiting for my first appointment with a cardiologist. I’m not having any specific issues, but both of my parents and two of my brothers dropped dead unexpectedly from heart disease. I don’t want to find out I have a problem before it’s too late.
So far, so good. The cardiologist said the EKG was normal, but I’m right to be concerned. He said that although my parents and brothers were life-long smokers and I’m not, the family history is still concerning. So I have a stress test and an echocardiogram scheduled. for next month.
Good for you for taking care of things! The older I get the less I want to go to the doctor!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

My second knee replacement is Jan. 29th. :violin: :crying:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:42 am My second knee replacement is Jan. 29th. :violin: :crying:
Good luck! :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”