It sucks growing old

Rolodex

It sucks growing old

Post by Rolodex »

neonzx wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:08 am I like the electronic locks on the couple short-term rental units Air B&B style I have. The regular annual rentals are old-school deadbolts. I can change out a deadbolt in about 3 minutes.
Our seasonal rental unit is now managed by a professional management company and they changed everything to digital locks (which I was going to do anyway when we had a mom-and-pop type manager). I don't have access to it remotely, but that's fine bc then I don't get bothered when there are problems. It's about 300 miles from where we live, so I'm happy to let someone else be in charge of all that.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Lani

It sucks growing old

Post by Lani »

They have begun to get their furniture & stuff out of the storage unit and move it into their new apartment. Mocha will missed their cat. :( Maybe we (Mocha & me) will think about a kitten.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jcolvin2
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by jcolvin2 »

This update from Gregg's sister was posted on Quatloos this morning:
Gregg update.
Unread post by Parvati » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:09 pm

This is an abbreviated version of the update Gregg’s sister shared a couple hours ago, so it’s quite current. The itching she describes is likely resulting from the renal/kidney issues that are common with advanced diabetes.

“Gregg was finally released from the hospital on Thursday, the 28th. He [was moved to a continuing care center]. The facility decor is a little dated but it is clean and has been fairly quiet[.] He will be seeing speech, physical and occupational therapists several times a week.

He is also working on getting off the feeding tube. Before he left the hospital, he was able to chew and swallow ice chips, so that is the first step on getting him to real food.

One of the things I had noticed in the hospital was how he kept rubbing at his arms. They kept mitts on his hands to protect him from pulling out his feeding tube, so the arm rubbing was not doing any harm. Restraints are not permitted at the care center so they took the mitts off of him. His arm rubbing became arm scratching and it became so intense, he drew blood. Some vaseline thick lotion was put on him and did reduce most of the scratching but then he started scratching at his neck and chest. It seems there was a little more going on than just dry skin. His nurse for the day put in a call to the doctor and she called me later to say they were now giving him Benadryl and also Benadryl lotion to apply. I hope to see an improvement when I visit today.

[…] His room is where the old emergency room used to be and I seem to remember Gregg being a frequent visitor here when he was a kid. 😂
https://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewto ... 16&t=12407
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

Thank for sharing the update!
Only happy thoughts.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

This update has me more hopeful for him than the first one did. I hope he's comfortable. Does anyone have a contact at Quatloos that could see if there's an address we could get where we could send him a card or something? I know the first message mentioned serious brain damage, but if they're going to do speech and occupational therapy, maybe he's aware enough that he'd get a smile hearing from us.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for the update. Keeping fingers crossed. An address would be nice.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by SuzieC »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:22 pm This update has me more hopeful for him than the first one did. I hope he's comfortable. Does anyone have a contact at Quatloos that could see if there's an address we could get where we could send him a card or something? I know the first message mentioned serious brain damage, but if they're going to do speech and occupational therapy, maybe he's aware enough that he'd get a smile hearing from us.
Agree Kriselda. I thought the same. I would love to send a card if possible.
jcolvin2
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by jcolvin2 »

I sent a PM to the woman who provided the update on Quatloos earlier today. I will let you guys know if I get an address.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 am I sent a PM to the woman who provided the update on Quatloos earlier today. I will let you guys know if I get an address.
Thanks!!
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

Thanks! I’m so happy to hear that Gregg is doibg better than we all thought. I’d love to try to get a message to him that we all miss him and are thinking of him.
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:07 am Thanks! I’m so happy to hear that Gregg is doibg better than we all thought. I’d love to try to get a message to him that we all miss him and are thinking of him.
Same here. Thanks, jcolvin, for all you’re doing to help. I know we all really appreciate it!
Uninformed

It sucks growing old

Post by Uninformed »

:yeahthat:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

I'm happy for Gregg he has a sister looking over him. That's good news.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hooray! I’ve my pen and paper at the ready!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Good. Thank you. Updates, when appropriate, will be appreciated.
jcolvin2
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by jcolvin2 »

I obtained address info for Gregg, and (hopefully) forwarded it by PM to everyone who had asked for an address or commented about Gregg's condition. (It was a bit tricky, because it appears that I can only send PMs to four recipients at a time.) If I missed anyone who commented in this thread, I apologize. If anyone else wants address info, please PM me.
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

Thank you so much, jcolvin. :bighug:

What do ya'll think about sending a one packet of notes or cards?

If we kept it digital, one person (I'd be happy to do it) could receive them, print them,and send them as from the Fogbow, which I'm thinking he might recognize more than separate ones?

Just a thought.
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

Thank you for taking the time to obtain this information. Our hearts go out to Gregg and his sister.
SuzieC
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by SuzieC »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:01 pm Thank you so much, jcolvin. :bighug:

What do ya'll think about sending a one packet of notes or cards?

If we kept it digital, one person (I'd be happy to do it) could receive them, print them,and send them as from the Fogbow, which I'm thinking he might recognize more than separate ones?

Just a thought.
That's a good idea, a packet of notes or cards from The Fogbow. But I'm not sure that I know how to send a digital card.
Uninformed

It sucks growing old

Post by Uninformed »

Another thankyou to. jcolvin2. :thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
I'm not sure what we should do. I'm talking to my wife, and have been since Gregg seemed to vanish. I think we should wait until the situation has stabilized more. Is he going to be able to go home? Or is he going to be in a facility somewhere?

I was going to work on a Fogbow Meetup in Cincinnati this summer, mostly because Gregg is there and knows a lot of things we can do together, but now what? Maybe by then he'll be stable enough for a short group visit. There must be some way we can show our love and appreciation for the Gregg who's been such a great friend and contributor to this forum.

... and I'm pondering and yappin' with my better half.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Slim Cognito »

If such a meet-up is deemed feesible, and enjoyable for Gregg, count me in, whenever that may be.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, if it was me, I'd want y'all to remember me when I was healthy and happy. I don't know if he will want us to see him in a bad condition.

I just don't know. I'm going to wait for further developments.
Foggy
Dick Tater

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Slim, what would Big D have thought, if we all tried to visit him at once, before the end? Gregg's a pretty social guy. I can't think for him. :shrug:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”