Stars, Including the Earth's Sun

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

JWST has taken an astonishing image of a baby star with powerful jets
This newborn star is blasting out a pair of extraordinary jets. The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) captured this image of a Herbig-Haro object, which forms when a young star spews powerful winds that smash into surrounding gas and dust at supersonic speeds.

The object, called Herbig-Haro 211 (HH 211), is located about 1000 light years away from Earth in the constellation Perseus. This makes it one of the nearest Herbig-Haro objects we know of. The new image is far more detailed than any that astronomers have taken of Herbig-Haro objects in the past.
SEI_1716170201.jpg
SEI_1716170201.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I recall an astronomer explaining that to justify the huge expense a new space telescope must be a huge jump forward compared with its predecessors. So it would not be enough that the James Webb be able to do what the Hubble can do but somewhat faster and somewhat better. Rather, it has to be in a different league, a whole new ball game.

The JWST certainly achieves that! Wow!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Wow indeed! :wave:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
Please do not gaze at the Sun.

Former impotus excluded of course, not that he takes advice anyway, third tier lawyers may apply for a pro bono job :twisted:

ps a "Hunter project"? Comer must be looking for evidence :lol:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:20 pm
Off Topic
Please do not gaze at the Sun.

Former impotus excluded of course, not that he takes advice anyway, third tier lawyers may apply for a pro bono job :twisted:

ps a "Hunter project"? Comer must be looking for evidence :lol:
:lol:

Originally I thought well, only people who own a solar telescope can take part. But they need people who have the time to comb through recorded video of the sun and mark points in time where these flares are taking place. It's pretty interesting, I may participate at least a little in that, maybe an hour a day or something like that.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I was thinking about stuff, since I recently completed another orbit around the Sun, and Alexa tells me that the Sun orbits the Milky Way galaxy every 220 million years. :shock:

So, y'know ... wake me up when we get there. :towel:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:44 am I was thinking about stuff, since I recently completed another orbit around the Sun, and Alexa tells me that the Sun orbits the Milky Way galaxy every 220 million years. :shock:

There's no beginning or end to an orbit, so you're already there.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:00 am
Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:44 am I was thinking about stuff, since I recently completed another orbit around the Sun, and Alexa tells me that the Sun orbits the Milky Way galaxy every 220 million years. :shock:

There's no beginning or end to an orbit, so you're already there.
Wherever you go....
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, that explains the 8th dimension very neatly.

Meanwhile, I am informed that the Sun contains hydrogen and helium, but very little oxygen. But you need oxygen to have fire. And oxygen is flammable (inflammable). If all the oxygen burns up, there won't be any left. So without oxygen, the Sun won't be on fire anymore. You need oxygen. I don't know. :confuzzled:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Welcome to the Fourth State of Matter.
Image Image Image Image
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Where will the marshmellows end up when no one can melt them any longer :think: :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:58 pm Yeah, that explains the 8th dimension very neatly.

Meanwhile, I am informed that the Sun contains hydrogen and helium, but very little oxygen. But you need oxygen to have fire. And oxygen is flammable (inflammable). If all the oxygen burns up, there won't be any left. So without oxygen, the Sun won't be on fire anymore. You need oxygen. I don't know. :confuzzled:
This is you friendly neighborhood pedantic balloon buster here: this isn't how it works. This isn't how any of it works.

If all the oxygen was used up, then we wouldn't exist to hear the trees, that wouldn't exist either, fall. In such conditions, the law of 7th dimensional turtle stacks would come into effect and there would no longer be enough turtles to go all the way down. The world would then curl up and return to its primeval state of Urobouros.

Don't bogart that joint, and have another hit... of fresh air.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Study sheds light on the white dwarf star, likely destroyer of our solar system
Huge gravity of these dense stars, which have burned all their own fuel, rips apart smaller planetary bodies

Jamie Grierson
Tue 9 Apr 2024 08.00 CEST

It’s the end of the world, not quite as we know it.

Scientists from the University of Warwick and other universities have studied the impact white dwarfs – end-of-state stars that have burned all their fuel – have on planetary systems such as our own solar system.

When asteroids, moons and planets get close to white dwarfs, their huge gravity rips these small planetary bodies into smaller and smaller pieces, which continue to collide, eventually grinding them into dust.

While the researchers said Earth would probably be swallowed by our host star, the sun, before it becomes a white dwarf, the rest of our solar system, including asteroids between Mars and Jupiter, as well as moons of Jupiter, ultimately may be shredded by the sun in a white star form.

Dr Amornrat Aungwerojwit of Naresuan University in Thailand, who led the study, said: “Previous research had shown that when asteroids, moons and planets get close to white dwarfs, the huge gravity of these stars rips these small planetary bodies into smaller and smaller pieces.”

Collisions between these pieces eventually grind them into dust, which finally falls into the white dwarf, enabling researchers to determine what type of material the original planetary bodies were made from.

Prof Boris Gaensicke, from the department of physics at the University of Warwick, said: “The simple fact that we can detect the debris of asteroids, maybe moons or even planets whizzing around a white dwarf every couple of hours is quite mind-blowing, but our study shows that the behaviour of these systems can evolve rapidly, in a matter of a few years.

“While we think we are on the right path in our studies, the fate of these systems is far more complex than we could have ever imagined.”

For the new research, scientists investigated changes in brightness of stars for 17 years, shedding light on how these bodies are disrupted. They focused on three different white dwarfs, which all behaved very differently.

The first white dwarf studied – known as ZTF J0328-1219 – appeared steady and “well-behaved” over the last few years, but the authors found evidence for a major catastrophic event around 2010.

Another star – known as ZTF J0923+4236 – was shown to dim irregularly every couple of months, and shows chaotic variability on timescales of minutes during these fainter states, before brightening again.

The third white dwarf analysed – WD 1145+017 – had been shown by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 2015 to behave close to theoretical predictions, with vast variations in numbers, shapes and depths of transits. Surprisingly in this latest study, the transits are now totally gone.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... lar-system
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Time for the deities to create perfecter worlds that will last an eternity without their creation getting destructed by other celestial bodies. Did the Devil outsmart the Dog?
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:46 am
Study sheds light on the white dwarf star, likely destroyer of our solar system
Huge gravity of these dense stars, which have burned all their own fuel, rips apart smaller planetary bodies

Jamie Grierson
Tue 9 Apr 2024 08.00 CEST

It’s the end of the world, not quite as we know it.
:snippity:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... lar-system
Without more detail I doubt the premise of this article. The article is correct that the earth would be destroyed when the sun goes nova before becoming a white dwarf star. If you could instantly change the current sun into a white dwarf the gravitational effect on distant objects like the earth would be unchanged. The tidal effects of a white dwarf, a neutron star, or even a black hole are short range phenomena. You don't even need anything more than Newton's Law of Gravity to explain this. The earth doesn't rip apart the moon, humans, or artificial satellites because of their distance from the center can be no less than the radius of the earth or almost 4,000 miles for us. The tidal effects are too small for us to feel. They have a slight effect on a large object like the moon.

Since all of the mass of the sun would be concentrated into a much small object when it becomes a white dwarf objects can approach the center of mass much closer and the area where the tidal effects would tend to rip the object apart.
much ado

Post by much ado »

:yeahthat: Yeah.
Walt Tuttle
Verified:

Post by Walt Tuttle »

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Walt Tuttle wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:39 am The Roche Limit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit
:thumbsup:
I recall a homework problem from college physics where we proved that if you were able to tunnel from the surface to the center of the earth and travel down your weight would go down as you descended. Turns out the gravitational force caused by the material in the earth above your depth cancels out and the only gravitational force is from the part of the earth below your depth. At the center of the earth you would be weightless. Of course the molten iron core might present issues.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

and now, for magnetars:
https://www.sci.news/astronomy/magnetar ... 12836.html
Astronomers using CSIRO’s Parkes radio telescope (Murriyang) have detected unusual radio signals from XTE J1810-197, a radio magnetar (ultra-magnetic neutron star) located 8,100 light-years away in the constellation of Sagittarius.

Magnetars are a type of neutron star and the strongest magnets in the Universe.

Most are known to emit polarised light, though the light this magnetar is emitting is circularly polarized, where the light appears to spiral as it moves through space.

“The results are unexpected and totally unprecedented,” said Dr. Marcus Lower, an astronomer at CSIRO.

“Unlike the radio signals we’ve seen from other magnetars, this one is emitting enormous amounts of rapidly changing circular polarization. We had never seen anything like this before.”
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “Astronomy”