Hijack This Thread

pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

I've "opted in" (NOT) to a slew of right-wing "newsletters." There oought to be a law...

Today's trending articles. Oh, yeah, and he's failing to get hostages released.
Karine Jean-Pierre humiliated Joe Biden with one braindead answer to this question
Joe Biden's knees gave out when he saw this weapon Iran just unveiled
(I broke down and hit "unsubscribe" on all of them, and they all use the same mail system and database from the looks of it.)
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

I just looked up the address on one of them. A UPS store in Leesburg, VA. :lol: :rotflmao:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

The Ohio Supreme Court suspended an attorney who defecated into a Pringles potato chip can and then tossed it into a parking lot of a crime-victim advocacy center.

Criminal defense attorney Jack A. Blakeslee's conduct called into question his fitness to practice law, the court decided.

Blakeslee's defense? He said he didn't target anyone but had a habit of putting his feces in Pringles cans and randomly throwing them from his car. He claimed he pulled the Pringles prank at least 10 times that year.

But the court didn't buy it and said Blakeslee purposely chose the Haven of Hope in Cambridge as his "drop zone." Surveillance video captured the incident in November 2021.
and now, the rest of the story:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/p ... 739810007/
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

What's in the water there? :sick:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 pm What's in the water there? :sick:
No idea. Glad I filter mine though.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

One wonders exactly how that is done. [/spock eyebrow]

I've worked with guys that loved their pranks. Some were good natured attempts at humor in bad taste. Others were malicious passive aggressives hoping to disguise their actions as humor gone awry. The former are merely stupid. The latter have bigger ideas if they can work up the courage.
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Just...whyyyyyy????
A hospital in Uganda says a 70-year-old woman has given birth to twins after undergoing IVF.

Women's Hospital International and Fertility Centre said that Safina Namukwaya set a record for being the oldest woman to give birth in Africa.
https://themessenger.com/news/woman-70- ... -namukwaya
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:26 pm Just...whyyyyyy????
A hospital in Uganda says a 70-year-old woman has given birth to twins after undergoing IVF.

Women's Hospital International and Fertility Centre said that Safina Namukwaya set a record for being the oldest woman to give birth in Africa.
https://themessenger.com/news/woman-70- ... -namukwaya
This falls into the category of Just Because You Can Doesn't Mean You Should. :roll:
Kendra

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

No internet or cable for me tonight when I get home. The latest update from Comcast expects repairs done at 9PM. Most of the day it was 4PM. *pouts*

https://washington.comcast.com/2023/11/ ... Pt2QDz4I7s
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Kendra wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:29 pm No internet or cable for me tonight when I get home. The latest update from Comcast expects repairs done at 9PM. Most of the day it was 4PM. *pouts*

https://washington.comcast.com/2023/11/ ... Pt2QDz4I7s
Boo!
Quick, download some movies before you leave work and then you can watch them w/o the innanet.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kendra

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

Eh, too late. I got the Jonathan Karl book to read. Still got the phone, but teevee and Prime Video suck up the data.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Another light came on in my car, this time it's the 'traction control' light, which more than likely means my front wheel bearing are starting to go out. I am now going to ramp up my search for a new car. I've been looking casually for awhile now, because I knew the car was getting to the point that repairs will probably cost more than the car is worth, and it's time.

It looks like used cars are almost as much as a new one. I don't drive much, maybe 3k a year, if that. I work from home, don't really have a social life, and with social anxiety and a touch of agoraphobia, I rarely leave home. So, my thought is that this is a car that I will probably end up having for the next 15 years or so. Why not look at new?

I'm in the process of narrowing it down before I start test driving. I'm looking in the up to 30k range. My down payment will be around 3k, depending on my bonus next Feb.

So, here starts the fun.

I will either check with the bank I work for to see if there are any employee deals on car loans or with my credit union. Depends on which one gives me the best deal. I don't have perfect credit, but I'm in the "pretty darn good range" so should get a decent rate.

Wish me luck!
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Good luck, my friend. ❤️

Against all probability, I find myself alive and in motion in December of the year of our lard two thousand twenty three. It's a perfect wonder. Everything around me is a miracle, and love is the force that binds the Universe. I plan to have a good day today.

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see how it works out for me. :boxing:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

You can never truly own a car. You just rent it from the mechanic and the auto parts store.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

bill_g wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:07 am You can never truly own a car. You just rent it from the mechanic and the auto parts store.
:yeahthat: :lol: The fancier cars get the more it costs to fix the damn things!
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This tweet sums up the week so well :thumbsup: -

Jo
@JoJoFromJerz

Kissinger meets his maker, Trump gets gagged again, homophobic Moms for Liberty founder gets caught in a bisexual throuple, Ron DeSantis gets smoked by Gavin Newsom, and George Santos gets expelled from Congress.

This was one helluva week folks.
10/10 no notes.
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Got a letter from the IRS Thursday about a return they received 2/2022. Speedy!

It's been a clustermuck for a nonprofit whose paperwork I handle. Generally there's not much to it, but I had to reacquire their non-profit status a few years back bc they'd failed to file returns. Done, but then all the missing returns had to be filed, too (several years worth). And the fiscal year dates had to be changed (which is another form for the IRS.

They needed 2021 filed electronically but it was a struggle trying figure out how to do that. But I did.

And that's how I spent my Friday.

(I'm neither an accountant nor a lawyer, so the struggle is real)
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
jcolvin2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by jcolvin2 »

Rolodex wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:25 pm Got a letter from the IRS Thursday about a return they received 2/2022. Speedy!

It's been a clustermuck for a nonprofit whose paperwork I handle. Generally there's not much to it, but I had to reacquire their non-profit status a few years back bc they'd failed to file returns. Done, but then all the missing returns had to be filed, too (several years worth). And the fiscal year dates had to be changed (which is another form for the IRS.

They needed 2021 filed electronically but it was a struggle trying figure out how to do that. But I did.

And that's how I spent my Friday.

(I'm neither an accountant nor a lawyer, so the struggle is real)
You would be surprised how many tax exempt organizations lose their tax exempt status because they failed to file Forms 990 for three consecutive years. I don’t envy you.
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

I think it's all caught up now. I filed this year's 990 while trying to figure out how to file year 2021 electronically. They'd sent back 2021 forms I had sent saying it had to be sent electronically and couldn't accept the paper form. I remember filing the paper form because the online system kept rejecting the filing.

The website for the IRS is HUUUUGE and while the info is complete (mostly) it's hard to find exactly the 'info you need. Eventually I found that I needed to use a 3rd party to file electronically for a prior year. I've taken over the paperwork so I don't have to untangle this stuff again!

And...actually it doesn't matter if we're a 501(c) 3 because hardly anyone donates and we don't need much of a budget. Not that many people even itemize deductions any more - something like 90% of taxpayers use the standard deduction, so "tax deductible donation" isn't really that much of an incentive except for rich people or large donations (larger than the standard deduction).
Estiveo
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

What is amazing about children at that age. They are sponges. If you use language in their presence they will pick it up immediately.

F*in whatever.
June bug

Hijack This Thread

Post by June bug »

:rotflmao: I love the “just kiddin”!
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

3 commercial ships attacked in Red Sea; Houthis claim responsibility, citing Israel-Hamas war
The USS Carney downed three drones while assisting the vessels, officials said.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/na ... =105341414
Three commercial ships came under attack in the international waters of the Red Sea on Sunday, U.S. military officials said -- as Houthi militants claimed responsibility for the latest incursion in the Middle East, where tensions have been high since the Israel-Hamas war began.

"These attacks represent a direct threat to international commerce and maritime security," U.S. Central Command said in a statement. "They have jeopardized the lives of international crews representing multiple countries around the world."

A major shipping lane runs through the sea, between Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

Since Hamas' Oct. 7 terror attack on Israel sparked the war, there have been a number of missile attacks from Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen on ships in the Red Sea, the Pentagon has said.

Officials on Sunday laid blame with Iran.

"We ... have every reason to believe that these attacks, while launched by the Houthis in Yemen, are fully enabled by Iran. The United States will consider all appropriate responses in full coordination with its international allies and partners," CENTCOM said.

U.S. forces have been repeatedly attacked by Iran-backed proxies in Iraq and Syria since the Israel-Hamas war began, according to the Pentagon, and American forces have carried out multiple retaliatory strikes as a result.

The three commercial ships, or merchant vessels, were identified in Sunday's statement as the Unity Explorer, which is U.K.-owned but flagged (or registered) in the Bahamas; the Number 9, which is flagged in Panama and owned and operated in Bermuda and the U.K.; and the Sophie II, which is also registered in Panama.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

The King of Perception, Nate Silver, enlightens us again.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 10.01.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 10.01.00 PM.png (100.62 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
:faint:

Return to “General Stuff”