It sucks growing old

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Great story, Estiveo. Glad you’re still with us and your leg too.

I’ve been thinking (NO! Not that!) What if the adage “it beats the alternative is WRONG! What if the other side is truly heavenly??? What if?

Taking bets now.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Mrs chose door #2 - Life with pain - which is what she begged against for the last year or more. I wailed in grief day before yesterday when I authorized removing care based on our talks, her DNR, and her condition. She woke up and rescinded all that. Two more surgeries since, with more to come. The phrase "debrement of necrotic tissue" plays in my skull on repeat.

Okay. Here we go together hand in hand.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Sometimes it's very hard to choose Door #1 for yourself. My mother did that at one point, and we didn't feel comfortable with it considering what she was going through, but she was enough there that we respected her decision. Later, as time went on and things got worse, she chose Door #1. Things change.

With my husband, there really was no choice. He was really already gone, and just keeping his failing body alive would have been cruel.

With my dad, we were all called into the hospital in the middle of the night because they thought it was about over. He was not on a ventilator. He woke up with all of us around his bed, and wanted to know what we were all doing there. He died two days later.

As the thread title say, it sucks growing old. For everybody involved, not just the one who's aging.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Resume18

It sucks growing old

Post by Resume18 »

My statin pain makes it difficult to exercise, do my 500 minutes a week walks, play guitar for longer than 15 minutes, and most importantly, hold my newest grand child. I reminded my physician besides quantity of life, there's also quality; he switched me from atorvastatin to Crestor, but it hasn't helped much. I was up early putting a couple turkey breasts on the smoker, then did my early morning walk of about 45 minutes, and it was tough, tougher than I can remember, in fact. Ditto with the mid-morning walk. I just did a beer, but that's a poor remedy, especially on statins.

Venting doesn't much help either; it indeed sucks getting old.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

My doc recommended I take CoQ10 for the statin pain in my lower legs I sometimes get at night. Apparently the statin drugs leach this from your muscles causing the pain. It does reduce the number of nights per week I experience the pain. I don’t know how you handle constant pain from it.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

It sucks growing old

Post by sugar magnolia »

Resume18 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:36 am My statin pain makes it difficult to exercise, do my 500 minutes a week walks, play guitar for longer than 15 minutes, and most importantly, hold my newest grand child. I reminded my physician besides quantity of life, there's also quality; he switched me from atorvastatin to Crestor, but it hasn't helped much. I was up early putting a couple turkey breasts on the smoker, then did my early morning walk of about 45 minutes, and it was tough, tougher than I can remember, in fact. Ditto with the mid-morning walk. I just did a beer, but that's a poor remedy, especially on statins.

4 claratin at night with the statin greatly reduced my pain. My doc has switched my statin twice already to not much effect, but the claritin helps a lot.
Resume18

It sucks growing old

Post by Resume18 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:35 pm
Resume18 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:36 am My statin pain makes it difficult to exercise, do my 500 minutes a week walks, play guitar for longer than 15 minutes, and most importantly, hold my newest grand child. I reminded my physician besides quantity of life, there's also quality; he switched me from atorvastatin to Crestor, but it hasn't helped much. I was up early putting a couple turkey breasts on the smoker, then did my early morning walk of about 45 minutes, and it was tough, tougher than I can remember, in fact. Ditto with the mid-morning walk. I just did a beer, but that's a poor remedy, especially on statins.

4 claratin at night with the statin greatly reduced my pain. My doc has switched my statin twice already to not much effect, but the claritin helps a lot.
Thanks. I'll try that.
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

I didn’t know statins cause pain. :eek:
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

My 3 cents: switching from Atorvastatin to Rosuvastatin changed my life.
Resume18

It sucks growing old

Post by Resume18 »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:53 pm

Gonna asked about that in my January appt. Thanks!
sugar magnolia

It sucks growing old

Post by sugar magnolia »

Resume18 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:57 pm

FYI.....insurance has some weird rules about statins, according to my doc. I don't understand it all, but mine only approves them being prescribed in a certain order. I had to take the Atorvastatin for a month (I quit taking them before that because of the pain) before she could switch me to something else. If you don't get any relief from the pain, make sure you report it to the doc so they can document why they're changing it. They did the same thing to my husband (different insurance) but fortunately, he did fine on his second one.
p0rtia

It sucks growing old

Post by p0rtia »

Resume18 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:57 pm

Specifics: I was on Atorvastatin for a number of years--maybe eight? About three years ago I started having odd leg pain; I described it as feeling like I had gone hiking the previous day over rough terrain. But it never went away, and massage therapy and exercises did not help. Woke up tired and sore every day. Then I was told to go off of ibuprofen, which is when I realized how bad the dull muscle pain was. I talked with various doctors about it, and I tried going off a couple of meds for a while, but it did not help. Then, in Feb 2022, reading up on the odd muscle pain at the top of my thighs, I ran across the statin issue. I asked my cardio dude (I take a statin for blood pressure, not for cholestorol) if I could go off it as a test, and he said okay. Within four days the aching had lessened; within a week it was largely gone; within two weeks it was completely gone and I was starting to _build_ muscle. My doc switched me to 5 mb of Rotuvastatin, and I have not had a problem with that.
Resume18

It sucks growing old

Post by Resume18 »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:03 pm I didn’t know statins cause pain. :eek:
It's odd; some people get it, and some don't. When I went on lisinopril for high blood pressure, I developed "the cough," which I was led to understand might occur. But to me, it seemed so extreme I worried it was something worse because I had smoked so long. After a type II diabetes diagnosis, I commenced upon a number of lifestyle, dietary and exercise regimes that resulted in significant weight loss, blood sugar and blood pressure amelioration, and after six months I was off medication for each. It was at this time my wife started taking lisinopril for her HBP, and she in turn developed "the cough." I feel so bad for her.

But because these side effects are soo obvious now a year off my meds that I would dearly love to abandon my statins since my LDL cholesterol is at 46 mg/dl.

We'll see.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

Yeah, I've been on Rovustatin for years and I do get pain in my legs that won't go away. Doc recommended magnesium, but I'm not convinced it is doing any good, of course I'm not all that consistent with it.

But Ibuprofen, (Neurofen brand) on the other hand, seems to work well. I take one tablet maybe before bed occaisionally and usually 3 or 4 pretty good days in a row after that.

But my last blood workup showed a really good cholesterol result - well within normal. Maybe, just maybe, I can get off it - but the Doc wants more info before getting drastic.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Thanks for the anecdotal info about Atorvastatin. I was put on it a year ago (40mg/day). I have not noticed any leg pain. OTOH, I have experienced the "long hike muscle ache" several times, and pushed through it by drinking more water. One thing that I have noticed are leg cramps during my sleep. Another is as I'm falling asleep I get an occasional feeling in my left toes like someone is folding them down, or the cat is walking on my foot. I haven't quite figured it out if it's associated with hydration, how I'm lying, or my activity that day.
Mrich

It sucks growing old

Post by Mrich »

My dad had a heart attack in 2018, when he was 88. He walked into the ER mid-attack. He had a stent put in and was home in a couple days.

About 3 weeks after he got home my mom called me to come over. My dad was ashen with pain, and could hardly stand. We got him to the ER but we had to practically carry him to the car; we wheeled him into the ER. They checked - no heart attack. They gave him some sterioids and a Percocet for the pain.

Then the ER doctor asked about his meds. When he found out he was taking Lipitor, he said "stop taking it!" He said he would check with the cardiologist but this was not uncommon; the doctor said he himself could not take any statins. Dad's cholesterol wasn't actually too bad, so they recommended "red yeast rice" which is over the counter and is supposed to help control cholesterol.

Bottom line: the pain from the statins was worse than the heart attack. I'm taking red yeast rice myself now.
Reddog

It sucks growing old

Post by Reddog »

bill_g wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:06 pm Thanks for the anecdotal info about Atorvastatin. I was put on it a year ago (40mg/day). I have not noticed any leg pain. OTOH, I have experienced the "long hike muscle ache" several times, and pushed through it by drinking more water. One thing that I have noticed are leg cramps during my sleep. Another is as I'm falling asleep I get an occasional feeling in my left toes like someone is folding them down, or the cat is walking on my foot. I haven't quite figured it out if it's associated with hydration, how I'm lying laying , or my activity that day.
Reddog

It sucks growing old

Post by Reddog »

Sorry I don’t usually nitpick, but I thought it would make a clever joke.
Interesting discussion, actually. I was prescribed 20 mg/day this summer. I haven’t started taking it yet though, I guess I’m planning on trying to get it under control with diet & exercise. And by being truthful.
Reddog

It sucks growing old

Post by Reddog »

Too, also. I’m a little leery of because several years ago our daughter’s pediatric dentist had severe complications and nearly died. He was the best children’s dentist around. He was a professor also at UMKC.
I don’t know exactly what he was prescribed for cholesterol, but I believe it was a statin. He eventually came back to practice, but it affected him dramatically.
bill_g

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Reddog wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:32 am Sorry I don’t usually nitpick, but I thought it would make a clever joke.
Interesting discussion, actually. I was prescribed 20 mg/day this summer. I haven’t started taking it yet though, I guess I’m planning on trying to get it under control with diet & exercise. And by being truthful.
Good morning, and no worries. Correction or gentle jab appreciated. I thought I posted a Thank You last night, but apparently didn't actually post it. Two great moments in Doh! in the same post.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

I was just looking through the junk mail and found an ad for Costco Pharmacy, not that I take anything other than the occasional OTC allergy pill and my primary drug of choice for just about everything is Advil Liquid Gels. Shoulder pain, knee pain, headache, you name it.

When I was still working in Family Practice I use to recommend all my patients go to a Costco Pharmacy for all their prescription needs. You don't need a Costco membership to use the pharmacy (or at least you didn't back then) and they have consistently had the cheapest price on most prescription meds by far.

For all who have prescription medications and a Costco anywhere nearby I highly recommend you call and check out the difference in pricing you may be paying. :thumbsup:

https://www.costco.com/pharmacy/home-delivery
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

How I Spent My Sunday Afternoon

In the ER. Saturday night about 8:30, I suddenly got hit by a severe, painful nausea attack, and a vice-like feeling in my chest. Once the nausea ended, the pain still came and went, and I didn't get much sleep. About 6:30 AM, it occurred to me that it might be a heart attack. At 8:30, I looked it up on the internet, and it looked like it could be. I hemmed and hawed over the next several hours, and at noon finally decided to talk to the doctor. The answering service wouldn't even put me through to the doctor. They said, call an ambulance.

I finally did (better safe than sorry, as they say), and got taken to the hospital. They gave me aspirin to chew while I was still at home, and gave me nitroglycerin in the ambulance, which helped quickly. The pressure eased. After blood work (LOTS of it), they decided not my heart. Did chest X-ray and a CT scan. Turns out I have gastritis of the stomach and colon, which is at least an acute diagnosis, not a chronic one. It also explained why I have not felt well for a couple of weeks and the nausea, vomiting, and pain I've been dealing with, so I'm glad I ended up in the ER. I could have stayed the night in the hospital, but opted to go home. Had the symptoms not started mimicking a heart attack, no telling how much longer I would have put up with the pain. So I am on three drugs for the next few weeks, which should cure the infection and inflammation. My white blood count is really high, but it usually runs on the high side anyway. It wasn't a fun way to spend an afternoon, but at least I got a diagnosis, and it's not chronic (likely).
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

OUCH!!!!!

Gastrointestinal and colon pain can be the WORST!!!!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

Yikes. :shock:
jemcanada2

It sucks growing old

Post by jemcanada2 »

:bighug: :bighug:

I’m so happy it’s not a chronic heart problem! I hope you’re feeling better soon, :pray: :pray:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”