Hijack This Thread

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:20 pm Our daughter and SIL went out to vote this evening at about 6 PM. The first polling place they went to had a long line out the door. From previous elections our daughter knew that the line inside the building was almost as long. So they went to a different polling place and got thru in 45 minutes.

Unusual for an off year election with only propositions (no especially controversial issues like abortion) and the mayoral race on the ballot. :?

Only about 6000 people voted early in this city of 103,000 people.
I’ve never lived anywhere where you could go to a different polling place. Everywhere I’ve lived, your choices were stand in line or don’t vote.

So it appears that Texas isn’t *entirely* anti-choice ;)
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:27 am How many mansions, high end sports cars, and private jets does a professed pastor need? I'm asking in Jesus Joel Osteen's name. :think:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:27 am
northland10 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:21 am So, is my church scamming the world?

There are definitely those abusing it but that does not mean everybody is.
I do not mean that at all, but there are many who abuse that loophole.

How many mansions, high end sports cars, and private jets does a professed pastor need? I'm asking in Jesus' name. :think:
I do agree that there are a bunch who abuse it and heretical prosperity gospel preacher Osteen is high on the list.
101010 :towel:
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:31 am
Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:20 pm Our daughter and SIL went out to vote this evening at about 6 PM. The first polling place they went to had a long line out the door. From previous elections our daughter knew that the line inside the building was almost as long. So they went to a different polling place and got thru in 45 minutes.

Unusual for an off year election with only propositions (no especially controversial issues like abortion) and the mayoral race on the ballot. :?

Only about 6000 people voted early in this city of 103,000 people.
I’ve never lived anywhere where you could go to a different polling place. Everywhere I’ve lived, your choices were stand in line or don’t vote.

I live in Virginia and here you can request to receive your ballots by mail fill it out and mail it back. Easy peasy :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

There's only one religious group I donate to - The Sisters of St. Benedict in Ferdinand IN. Nobody else. But that is enough to keep a ton of requests for donations from other Catholic organizations flowing my way on a near daily basis. I call it my own personal effort to fully employ the USPS. I throw some money at one group, they share their mailing list, and BINGO - the mail comes rolling in. If I sense it slowing down, I send them some more, and pretty soon the torrent returns. It's a positive feedback loop with a lot of latentcy, and a wonder to observe. This is real time anthropology.

Signing off as Bill, citizen scientist, botanist, and entomologist
Maybenaut

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:42 am

I live in Virginia and here you can request to receive your ballots by mail fill it out and mail it back. Easy peasy :thumbsup:
I live in Virginia, too. I just meant that if you show up to vote in person, you’re stuck with your assigned polling place.

I went to vote at my local precinct a few years ago and the guy in line ahead of me was turned away. He wanted to vote there because it was closer to his work, and he actually lived over an hour away on the other side of the county and he was worried the polls would close before he could get to his polling place (Fairfax County is enormous and has lots of traffic). “You better hurry,” was the response.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:53 am
MsDaisy 2 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:42 am

I live in Virginia, too. I just meant that if you show up to vote in person, you’re stuck with your assigned polling place.

I went to vote at my local precinct a few years ago and the guy in line ahead of me was turned away. He wanted to vote there because it was closer to his work, and he actually lived over an hour away on the other side of the county and he was worried the polls would close before he could get to his polling place (Fairfax County is enormous and has lots of traffic). “You better hurry,” was the response.
Do they make accommodation for a provisional ballot? Seems a reasonable measure. Cast their vote and get it figured out later.
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

In our TX county you can go to any county polling place for county-wide elections. Show them your voter ID or license and they will give you the correct ballot.

School district elections are more limited in choice. Most local districts are quite small so only one polling place is needed.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Abortion and Marijuana are "sexy things". Preach on Frothy-mix.

MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bill_g wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:46 am There's only one religious group I donate to - The Sisters of St. Benedict in Ferdinand IN. Nobody else. But that is enough to keep a ton of requests for donations from other Catholic organizations flowing my way on a near daily basis. I call it my own personal effort to fully employ the USPS. I throw some money at one group, they share their mailing list, and BINGO - the mail comes rolling in. If I sense it slowing down, I send them some more, and pretty soon the torrent returns. It's a positive feedback loop with a lot of latentcy, and a wonder to observe. This is real time anthropology.

Signing off as Bill, citizen scientist, botanist, and entomologist
That's one reason I like donating through a Donor Advised Fund. Fidelity's DAF allows me to remain anonymous, if I wish, when I designate contributions through them.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Box is now a gender. Or the robot has dementia
https://ground.news/article/south-korea ... bot_a75727
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

bill_g wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:46 am Signing off as Bill, citizen scientist, botanist, and entomologist
We live on a 30-acre patch in very rural Virginia and my grandkids and I have spotted some very strange critters out here crawling about and we always try and identify the unknown but there are two I have never been able to identify.
Bug 1.png
Bug 1.png (308.01 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Bug 2.png
Bug 2.png (354.88 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Bug 2 was really a bug because we saw it walking. Any ideas? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

The first one is a saddleback caterpillar.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Pretty sure the pink one is a saddleback caterpillar.
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

:thumbsup: One down...
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

The second one might be a caddisfly larvae.
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:03 pm The second one might be a caddisfly larvae.
Man! Some of those things are pretty weird looking but we don't kill them for being weird. We have little catch and release traps all over the house, we just put them all back outside.

There are only 3 things that will be terminated here, European hornets, Velvet ants and Copperheads. I got stung on the back of my head by one of those fucking hornets over by the tractor shed once and it dropped me to my knees. :faint:
Maybenaut

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

You should also kill the Chinese Lanternfly. They’re invasive and destructive.
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

I'll keep a lookout for them!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

They are gone for the winter.

The Chinese Lantern Flies give me the creeps. They were saying on the news here at the end of the summer that they are not as destructive as it was originally thought because they move on quickly. I'm not sure if that's much consolation when you look at the damage they have done.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

20231108214035.png
20231108214035.png (11.08 KiB) Viewed 730 times
castigat ridendo mores.
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Really hard for me to condemn hummus. Or baba ghanouj, for that matter.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

[yoda] Making sense this sentence it is not. [/yoda]
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Flatpoint High wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:45 pm 20231108214035.png
LOL! Can't risk having hummus reproduce now, can we?
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:14 am
Flatpoint High wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:45 pm 20231108214035.png
LOL! Can't risk having hummus reproduce now, can we?
NOPE.JPG
NOPE.JPG (39.55 KiB) Viewed 678 times
castigat ridendo mores.

Return to “General Stuff”