Fones, Computers and Other Technical Junk

Reddog

Post by Reddog »

keith wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:05 am My current pet peeve is that when you shut down a music player app, it doesnt effing shut down.

I'm sick to bloody hell from walking into a meeting, sitting down, and 5 minutes later my tablet magically starts up again screaming Martha Wainwrait's "You're a bloody mother-effing a-hole" at full blast.

If I shutdown an app I bloody well want it to stay the fuck shut down.
Completely agree.
I don’t use music apps, I’m pretty much musically challenged. However on Carplay or Airpods sometimes “Ballroom Blitz “ and “A Man of Constant Sorrow” will start looping.
My main complaint is IPhone allows Camera and flashlight to open from the Lock Screen. It took me a while to figure it out, I noticed the phone was warm in my shirt pocket. Either the flashlight was on or I had a lot of pictures of the inside of my pocket, or garbage pictures.
I finally figured out what was happening. I don’t think there is any way to disable them without removing the camera app altogether.
I ended up getting a folio type cover. I haven’t had a problem since.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:01 pm https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ing-issues
Apple is facing complaints from users about overheating in relation to its new iPhone 15 models, with some customers claiming the titanium frame becomes too hot to hold.

The iPhone maker’s community forum is carrying customer feedback about the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max, claiming that the handsets are overheating.

“I’ve had the new iPhone 15 Pro and it’s so hot, it’s too hot to hold,” wrote one user. Another wrote: “My skin hurts! What is going on with iPhone 15 Pro Max?”

There are several posts on the Apple forum referring to overheating of the iPhone 15 Pro series, with one user posting a photo of their iPhone 15 next to a thermometer recording a temperature of 44C (111F). There are also posts on X and Reddit.

Ming-Chi Kuo, an Apple analyst at TF International Securities, said any overheating issue was probably due to “compromises” in the phone’s design as the company attempted to reduce the product’s weight.
Couple of things; My wife and I both got new iPhone 15s which we then updated from our iPhone 12s and moved the physical sim to e-sims. For the first 2 days the new phones did run hot. Now the heat has returned to normal levels. What is going on? Simple explanation really: if you got a iPhone 15 and it was your very first phone you would not see this issue generally. At worst it may run hot for a short time (1 to 2 hours). If you are transferring data however after the data completes its transfer the phone indexes the data and depending on the amount and nature of the data this can take a long time and be very CPU intensive. I would be very interested to know if or how long it takes your iPhone 15 to cool down.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Sometimes I'm really glad I don't use iPhones. Jeez, you can pay $1,600 for a phone! That's the Titanium model.

My Google Pickle, my criteria were, I wanted the best camera(s) for under $500, and I got a GREAT phone that isn't too hot to hold, takes great photos, and screens my phone calls of 95% of the junk callers (there are ways of evading the screen function).

What exactly does this iPhone 15 Titanium do that my phone won't do, that's worth the extra $1,100? :confuzzled:

If'n I pay $1,600 for a phone, it better make coffee for me the minute I wake up, and give me a super nice shave, and fourteen other things I don't have the energy to invent right this minute.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:27 pm Sometimes I'm really glad I don't use iPhones. Jeez, you can pay $1,600 for a phone! That's the Titanium model.

My Google Pickle, my criteria were, I wanted the best camera(s) for under $500, and I got a GREAT phone that isn't too hot to hold, takes great photos, and screens my phone calls of 95% of the junk callers (there are ways of evading the screen function).

What exactly does this iPhone 15 Titanium do that my phone won't do, that's worth the extra $1,100? :confuzzled:

If'n I pay $1,600 for a phone, it better make coffee for me the minute I wake up, and give me a super nice shave, and fourteen other things I don't have the energy to invent right this minute.
Well first of all about that price: my wife's iPhone 15 Pro 128GB Blue Titanium cost (After my 10% Military discount) $899.00. Using the Apple Store with Pay gets me a 3% cash back so minus $27.00 = $872.00 then subtracting her trade in allowance of $360.00 it comes out to $512.00 before taxes.
The iPhone does not get too hot in normal usage as I explained earlier. The heat thing is an indexing thing and I suppose the titanium may be causing people to notice it when they haven't in the past.
The only comparison of cameras I have experience with and / or read about is against Samsung Galaxy my experience and the consensus seems to be that they tend to leap frog each other when new models are released but they are pretty much the top of all phone cameras for photos
Videos on the other hand Apple seems to be the clear winner.
One aspect of the iPhone that is especially interesting to me is the seamless integration of the entire eco-system. An example while out on my exercise walk Monday I went into Ventricular Tachycardia which made me pass out and smack the back of my head on the asphalt. My Watch alerted my iPhone, the phone called 911.*
Also if my iPhone rings while I am on the computer I van answer the call on the computer.
FaceTime is excellent for keeping in touch with Family and friends.
iMessage is also excellent. (none of the cool kids want to be 'Greenies')
As far as the Pixel is concerned I am totally ignorant of its feature-set, camera quality, screen quality, performance, or any aspect of what your phone can do so I really can't compare them, but hey since it is Google we're talking about . . . my guess is privacy and tracking could be of some concern. The iPhone implements privacy and anti tracking protocols and they probably aren't lying about them.
For me the iPhone is the best choice. YMMV and obviously does.
* Bunch of tests and imaging plus 2 days in the hospital for observation. (getting old sucks!)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

qbawl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:29 pm An example while out on my exercise walk Monday I went into Ventricular Tachycardia which made me pass out and smack the back of my head on the asphalt. My Watch alerted my iPhone, the phone called 911.
OK, that's definitely worth some extra money. :shock: Stop doing that, por favor. You are cordially invited to stick around. :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:38 pm I'm dumping Apple phones, this is the third one in a row where the battery has gone to hell... :mad: I'm gonna try a Samsung Galaxy next...
Love mine... its a 23 something....
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

base article from Mexico, of course in Spanish, please no complaints cause this is a American English forum ;)
https://pisapapeles.net/bloqueo-celulares-mexico/

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Gregg wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:18 am
Frater I*I wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:38 pm I'm dumping Apple phones, this is the third one in a row where the battery has gone to hell... :mad: I'm gonna try a Samsung Galaxy next...
Love mine... its a 23 something....
I have had Galaxy phones since like 2014. With me, that only means 2 but they have done well over the years. I am really needing to replace my S9 now. It's only 5 years old and still not too much of an issue with slowing down which my last one had. It does, however, have a cracked screen (first time ever) and though the protector covers it, it is only going to widen.
101010 :towel:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

qbawl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:29 pm One aspect of the iPhone that is especially interesting to me is the seamless integration of the entire eco-system. An example while out on my exercise walk Monday I went into Ventricular Tachycardia which made me pass out and smack the back of my head on the asphalt. My Watch alerted my iPhone, the phone called 911.*
OK, I can't speak to this, cause I don't have an Android watch to discuss, but I am pretty sure there are the equivalent features in them.
Also if my iPhone rings while I am on the computer I van answer the call on the computer.
This is absolutely the same with Windoze 11 and Samsung Galaxy at least (I can't be sure it works with ALL Androids). I do this fairly often. And I can initiate calls, text, run apps, study photos, display the phone screen - in short completely control my phone from my desktop.
FaceTime is excellent for keeping in touch with Family and friends.
I've never felt a particular need for videophoneing, but I did try it out just last week. My wife and I videophoned very easily even though we didn't know what the heck we were doing.

Understand that I am not advocating that you switch. I am merely pointing out that there isn't much new under the sun, and competitors pretty much keep up with each other.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:06 pm
qbawl wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:29 pm An example while out on my exercise walk Monday I went into Ventricular Tachycardia which made me pass out and smack the back of my head on the asphalt. My Watch alerted my iPhone, the phone called 911.
OK, that's definitely worth some extra money. :shock: Stop doing that, por favor. You are cordially invited to stick around. :bighug:
Qbawl!!!!! :panic: R u OK? :shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:43 am
Foggy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:06 pm
Qbawl!!!!! :panic: R u OK? :shock:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We did a thing this week. My iPhone 12 Pro Max battery was getting pretty weak and with the current trade in values with AT&T I was able to replace both of our phones with the new 15 Pro Max 512 GB model for $400/each. I use the camera on my phone a great deal anymore and the ones on the high end phones are good enough that I rarely pull out my DSLR. The 512 GB storage is due mostly to the fact that we keep a huge amount of music on our phones. Yeah, I'm still a physical media guy.

I have to say that Apple has got this porting to a new phone thing down to a science. I chose the option to copy between phones rather than restoring from iCloud. The process took a bit longer at roughly an hour per phone but when it was done everything was setup just like the old phone. One of the things I really hate about iOS is that I can't pin an icon to a specific spot on the screen. I have a very set arrangement of my app icons and getting them all exactly where I want them is kind of a pain in the neck. When the copy was done, every single one of my icons was exactly where it was located on the old phone and I only had to log back into about 25% of my apps. I did have to pair any bluetooth devices again, and the app for my Dexcom G6 (continuous blood glucose monitor) had to be deleted and reinstalled before it would recognize the transmitter from my sensor. In fairness, that's probably Dexcom's fault. As a retired IT architect I find their software to be ludicrously poorly designed.

Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised. It took an hour to port the phone and maybe a half hour to make sure all my regularly used apps were functioning properly and that was it. Are the Android phones like this too, also?
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Yeah, it was a piece of cake for me too, to port everything from my old iPhone 8 Plus to my new iPhone 15 Pro Max. The only hitch was that one program I use is no longer available to download, so I have the icon on my iPhone 15 but I can't get the program. I did find an alternative which can work, so not a major issue.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I just got the iPhone 15 Pro yesterday. The Pro Max is too big for me. I changed more than phones. I went from ATT to T-Mobile. I traded in a 12. My cell phone bill is now half what it was, and I got the phone for free. My international travel is now free; I have 5G instead of having to be upcharged if I had wanted it at ATT. I got a $10 month over 55 discount, and will get $5/month off for auto-pay. I also got double the storage. They did the transfer for me in the store, and it didn't take that long to do it. It did take forever to do the "paperwork" and transfer from ATT. I have found a few apps that I had to tweak, but not many and nothing major. Everything was right where it was before, and I'm also fussy about that. I had to reset the Apple Watch later to get them to pair again, but it wasn't a big deal.

Since I'm planning to use the camera on the phone instead of carrying a camera when traveling now, I'm going to take the course at Apple to see if there are tricks I can learn.

I'm a happy camper.

I like to play gin rummy on an app, and it takes a long time to run up the points. I finally got it up to a million a month or so ago. I went back in, and I was back at zero. :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:54 pm Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised. It took an hour to port the phone and maybe a half hour to make sure all my regularly used apps were functioning properly and that was it. Are the Android phones like this too, also?
I know you can do Galaxy-to-Galaxy that way. I was even able to use my phone layout to set up my tablet
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No! I have dedicated my life to the great and all-powerful Goog, and I can never get an iPhone, no matter what their users say! The great and all-powerful Apple is not my god!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:

I've never considered Apple to be my God, but once I got the Apple Watch, I became its hostage.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:32 am
Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:54 pm Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised. It took an hour to port the phone and maybe a half hour to make sure all my regularly used apps were functioning properly and that was it. Are the Android phones like this too, also?
I know you can do Galaxy-to-Galaxy that way. I was even able to use my phone layout to set up my tablet
I wondered. It's been six or seven years since I did my last android to android phone upgrade and it was a bit of work. Six years is a long time in the wireless market so it shouldn't surprise me that it's changed.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm a huge fans of Apple watches.

I had lunch this past week with a dear friend from high school. His wife mostly relies on a wheelchair and fears being home alone in case she falls. My friend has two daughters in the Cities (a doctor and a teacher) who can be with their mother if my friend will be away from home for more than a couple of hours. Anyway, my friend sound excited about the Apple watch when I told him how it can detect falls and automatically call for help, and how a person can make a call from the watch if they're not near a phone. That would greatly relieve his wife's anxieties. I highly recommend Apple watches to older folks and to those with physical disabilities. They can save your life.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

As long as they’re charged, I assume.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I never thought I would go iPhone either but my last Android phone was having serious issues and I couldn't get a 512 GB Galaxy at the time. The rest of the fam, with the exception of my brother, has been on iPhone for years which offers some advantages. Plus, Android Auto only runs half screen on the eleventy-point-something tablet style screen in my Outback whereas CarPlay runs full screen. Also too, Apple sucked up Zinio, which was where I got 90% of the magazines I read on a monthly basis, and pulled it into their News+ service. Getting an iPhone meant I could get that on my phone again.

Honestly, I could take or leave the iPhone. I don't think it's measurably better than the top Android phones and there are pros and cons to both platforms. The larger surprise was the move to MacBooks. My wife wanted one for some of the art projects she does. Of course, I have to know enough about it to support her when issues crop up so I played around with it a bit. Crap. I fell in love with it. Unlike every windows laptop I've owned, it just works, and the battery life was phenomenal. It is more of a PITA to fix when something quits working but that rarely happens. The result is that I spend very little time working on her laptop now. When one of the kids needed a laptop we shipped them my three-ish year old ThinkPad Carbon X1 (my kids love getting my hand-me-downs) and I bought a MacBook Pro. It's the best laptop I've ever owned by a pretty wide margin. One odd little thing about the MacBook is that it finds the Windows servers on my network MUCH more reliably than my Windows machines do. Windows home networking has always sucked but that's downright embarrassing.
John Adams
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

I'm assuming your MBP is an M1 or M2. If so you will find Windows running in a VM will be more performant on the MBP than running native WOA.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:14 pm I'm a huge fans of Apple watches.

I had lunch this past week with a dear friend from high school. His wife mostly relies on a wheelchair and fears being home alone in case she falls. My friend has two daughters in the Cities (a doctor and a teacher) who can be with their mother if my friend will be away from home for more than a couple of hours. Anyway, my friend sound excited about the Apple watch when I told him how it can detect falls and automatically call for help, and how a person can make a call from the watch if they're not near a phone. That would greatly relieve his wife's anxieties. I highly recommend Apple watches to older folks and to those with physical disabilities. They can save your life.
It's how I found out I have Afib.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

qbawl wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:38 pm I'm assuming your MBP is an M1 or M2. If so you will find Windows running in a VM will be more performant on the MBP than running native WOA.
I've thought about running Windows on the Mac but I have a pretty nice Windows desktop (i7-13700k, 32GB RAM, RTX-3070) and either servers or NUC type machines at each TV. I'm not really feeling the need to run it on my Mac. :biggrin:
John Adams

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”