Another Shooting

Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Kendra wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:36 am CNN reporting that there's police activity at some farm/greenhouse in Lisbon. Someone heard what they thought was a gunshot, police arrived with long guns. Reporters have now been asked to backup off the property, but they've still got cameras on what they can film.
Police clear Maine lettuce farm after receiving tip about an apparent gunshot

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/le ... index.html
Police surrounded a lettuce farm in Lisbon, Maine, Friday during the search for the man suspected of killing 18 people earlier this week. They were responding to a tip of an apparent gunshot heard in the vicinity of the farm, but the area has since been cleared.

A witness who works on the farm — less than a mile from a boat launch where shooting suspect Robert Card’s vehicle was found — reported hearing what he thought sounded like a gunshot to police, he told CNN.

The witness and three others took cover and hid in containers before contacting police, the witness explained before leaving the area. It’s unclear whether a gunshot was actually the source of the noise.

The encounter is just one of hundreds police are vetting in the search for Card, who is facing an arrest warrant for eight counts of murder.

Government helicopters were also observed flying overhead at the farm.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Slim Cognito »

I say it's a start.

My (combat veteran) son has one. I hate that he does but he's a responsible weapon owner. He wanted to show it to me so I could see how it's locked up with some thingie running through it, yada yada yada. I still don't like it.

One running joke he has is, if someone were to break into his home, he's going to ask them to "Wait just a minute, I have to get my gun out of this safe and my ammo out of that safe. Please be patient."
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
somerset

Another Shooting

Post by somerset »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:10 pm Figuring out what to do, I try to ignore ideas I call "Forlorn Hope" measures. In other words, coming up with a solution that could pass in Congress. If it'll be shot down, what's the point?

An Assault Weapons Ban? That means arguing for depriving responsible, law-abiding gun owners from buying the weapons. And arguing for a "Ban" is always tough.

Here's an idea which really should (I know, I know) be palatable to both parties:

Public weapons ownership has always been subject to a tiered structure. Want a full-auto machine gun? Lots of hoops to jump through, but it can be done. Ground-to-air missiles? Not allowed. Shotguns? Readily available, little hassle. Pistol? A more stringent process.

How about creating a new tier for Assault Weapons? Folks who go the extra mile in terms of assuring the public that you are not a threat can own them. No ban. But more stringent background checks, etc.

Reasonable? What say?
Or even avoiding the term, "assault weapon" and regulating removable magazines from long guns and high capacity magazines from hand guns.

Of course, the mouf breathers will bleat, "What part of "Shall not be infringed" don't you understand." But still reasonable, in my opinion.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

News conference will be held at 5 p.m. ET, according to officials
From CNN's Sara Smart

A news conference will be held at 5 p.m. ET at Lewiston City Hall as authorities continue the manhunt for suspected shooter Robert Card, according to a press release from Shannon Moss, public information officer with the Maine Department of Public Safety.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neeneko

Another Shooting

Post by neeneko »

somerset wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:37 pm Or even avoiding the term, "assault weapon" and regulating removable magazines from long guns and high capacity magazines from hand guns.
Sadly, I do not see 'term assault weapon' leaving the discussion any time soon. Democrats have found it is a great way to rile up their base, Republicans have discovered it is a great way to rile up their base, and since it means about as much as 'sports car' with all the marketing flexibility that gives you, it is just too politically useful.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

I think the NRA is against all of those, and the republicans will just follow along.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Another Shooting

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:20 pm I think the NRA is against all of those, and the republicans will just follow along.

Democracy....the best government money can buy...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/le ... index.html

Shelter-in-place order rescinded in parts of Maine
From CNN’s Sara Smart

The shelter-in-place order implemented in parts of Maine following Wednesday's shooting rampage has been rescinded, but hunting in some areas is prohibited starting on Saturday, Department of Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said during a Friday news conference.

Hunting is banned in Lewiston, Lisbon, Bowdoin and Monmouth until further notice, the commissioner said.

With the shelter-in-place order rescinded, residents are recommended to remain vigilant as the manhunt for suspect Robert Card remains ongoing, and businesses can decide whether they’d like to open or close, Sauschuck said.

Gun believed to be used in Maine shootings was purchased days before suspect’s mental health episode

The gun that investigators believe the Lewiston mass shooting suspect, Robert Card, used to kill 18 people and wound 13 others was purchased legally just days before he was hospitalized and ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, multiple law enforcement sources told CNN.

In mid-July, New York State Police were called to Camp Smith in Cortlandt, New York — the military base where Card served — because he was acting “belligerently and possibly intoxicated,” according to a source briefed on the matter.

Three law enforcement sources told CNN the state police brought Card to a nearby hospital, where he was treated for suspected intoxication and released the next day.

Card’s encounter with New York State Police and his National Guard superiors occurred just 10 days after he purchased a high-powered rifle at a Maine gun store, according to law enforcement sources.

What we know about the weapon: The rifle was a Ruger SFAR, chambered for high-powered .308 ammunition, the sources said.

The .308 round is favored by military snipers firing at long distances and big game hunters. It's larger and more powerful than the regular ammunition carried in the rifles of soldiers and SWAT teams.

One of the challenges in identifying victims at the two crime scenes from Wednesday's mass shooting was nearly all the victims were shot in the head, rendering some of them unrecognizable, a law enforcement source told CNN.

Law enforcement has not seen Lewiston suspect in past 2 days, despite receiving 530 tips

Law enforcement officers have not seen suspect Robert Card since the Lewiston mass shootings took place Wednesday, Public Safety Commissioner Mike Sauschuck said in a news conference Friday.

Authorities have received more than 530 tips and leads in relation to the ongoing manhunt of Card, Sauschuck added, including possible sightings by the public.

When asked if Card could have stolen another vehicle, or taken a boat down the river near the location where his SUV was found, Sauschuck emphasized that all options are under consideration: “Is that a possibility? Sure. Is the river a possibility? Sure.”

911 response time: Officers responded to the shooting locations in Lewiston within minutes of the 911 calls, according to the safety commissioner.

Authorities received the first report of a shooting at the bowling alley Just-in-Time Recreation Center at 6:56 p.m. The first Lewiston police officer arrived at the scene at 7 p.m., Sauschuck said.

There were additional officers in plain clothes at a shooting range nearby who heard the gunshots and responded to the scene immediately, he added.

The first calls to the Department of Public Safety were made at 6:57 p.m., and officers with DPS arrived at the first location 11 minutes later, according to Sauschuck.

Authorities received the second report at 7:08 p.m., with multiple 911 calls about an active shooter at Schemengees Bar & Grille, the second shooting location, Sauschuck said. Officers arrived at the bar at 7:10 p.m., he said.
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

News just coming in, looks like he's been found dead.
chancery
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by chancery »

Suspect in Maine mass shootings is dead, sources tell CNN
From CNN's John Miller, Evan Perez and Josh Campbell

Robert Card, the suspect in the Lewiston, Maine, shooting rampage, is dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, multiple sources tell CNN.

Card was found in the woods near Lisbon, which is about eight miles from Lewiston, the same three sources said. He was found in an area near the recycling center from which he had been recently fired, a law enforcement source told CNN’s John Miller.
chancery
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by chancery »

It's a relief that Robert Card is no longer ... at large.

My daughter lives on a very rural road, not so far from the National Guard base that
he threatened to shoot up. :(
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

Press conference in 30 minutes. But, good riddance IMHO.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:10 pm Figuring out what to do, I try to ignore ideas I call "Forlorn Hope" measures. In other words, coming up with a solution that could pass in Congress. If it'll be shot down, what's the point?

An Assault Weapons Ban? That means arguing for depriving responsible, law-abiding gun owners from buying the weapons. And arguing for a "Ban" is always tough.

Here's an idea which really should (I know, I know) be palatable to both parties:

Public weapons ownership has always been subject to a tiered structure. Want a full-auto machine gun? Lots of hoops to jump through, but it can be done. Ground-to-air missiles? Not allowed. Shotguns? Readily available, little hassle. Pistol? A more stringent process.

How about creating a new tier for Assault Weapons? Folks who go the extra mile in terms of assuring the public that you are not a threat can own them. No ban. But more stringent background checks, etc.

Reasonable? What say?
One of the better ideas I've heard.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Kinda nailed it with my 50-50 yesterday that he was dead. Saved the courts and public time and money. (although I can't imagine the millions already spent trying to track him down).

Everyone in Maine can sleep soundly tonight.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:09 pm Kinda nailed it with my 50-50 yesterday that he was dead. Saved the courts and public time and money. (although I can't imagine the millions already spent trying to track him down).

Can they? Now they know it CAN happen there...
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:13 pm
neonzx wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:09 pm Kinda nailed it with my 50-50 yesterday that he was dead. Saved the courts and public time and money. (although I can't imagine the millions already spent trying to track him down).

Can they? Now they know it CAN happen there...
Let's ask Susan Collins if NOW is the time to talk about gun reform laws (and mental health care, too)
somerset

Another Shooting

Post by somerset »

chancery wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:28 pm It's a relief that Robert Card is no longer ... at large.

My daughter lives on a very rural road, not so far from the National Guard base that
he threatened to shoot up. :(
That had to be really scary
Lani

Another Shooting

Post by Lani »

I watched MSNBC, through the night in Hawaii, then the morning, then all day. I hope I have a good night :yawn: - and no nightmares!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Another Shooting

Post by bill_g »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:10 pm How about creating a new tier for Assault Weapons? Folks who go the extra mile in terms of assuring the public that you are not a threat can own them. No ban. But more stringent background checks, etc.

Reasonable? What say?
In this case the shooter was an arms instructor, and that's about as reassuring as you can get.

Me myself I would not be opposed to a tiered weapon system that required training and certification to own and fire a gun. Let's say a single shot hunting rifle is the first and easiest tier to reach, with side arms and military weapons up-tier requiring greater demonstrated proficiency.
sugar magnolia

Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

I'd be okay with mandatory insurance at point of sale for owning a firearm. The same tiered system could apply. It would cut down on things like strawman purchases too.
pipistrelle

Another Shooting

Post by pipistrelle »

I would not be opposed to a correct interpretation of the 2nd amendment where key phrases aren't written in invisible ink and intentions are clear based on the context of a new country emerging from war and living among people they keep trying to conquer. None of this means armed insurrection against the government as many of the rabid gun owners delude themselves.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

“ A well regulated Militia, “

I believe that the US has a law or two about that…

So if you aren’t part of a National guard, or the US armed forces then you aren’t part of a well regulated militia.

Therefore no right to a gun..

“For the security of the state”

So no using those arms other than for the security of the state… not for hunting, self protection, ego boosting, intimidation etc.

Therefore it is kept in the Armoury and competency, access and use is regulated.

Other than that..
Treat guns as vehicles
Levels of licence (from driver to pilot) that need to show regular competency.
Levels of insurance (based on weapon damage potential and use and storage).
No unsecured firearms in public (locking devises on all - and id like a 10 minute time lock as well).
No drugs/alcohol
Etc
pipistrelle

Another Shooting

Post by pipistrelle »

Dave from down under wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:39 pm “ A well regulated Militia, “

I believe that the US has a law or two about that…

So if you aren’t part of a National guard, or the US armed forces then you aren’t part of a well regulated militia.

Therefore no right to a gun..

“For the security of the state”

So no using those arms other than for the security of the state… not for hunting, self protection, ego boosting, intimidation etc.

Therefore it is kept in the Armoury and competency, access and use is regulated.

Other than that..
Treat guns as vehicles
Levels of licence (from driver to pilot) that need to show regular competency.
Levels of insurance (based on weapon damage potential and use and storage).
No unsecured firearms in public (locking devises on all - and id like a 10 minute time lock as well).
No drugs/alcohol
Etc
Farmers were part of the militia that protected homesteads, farms and the like since the professional army was busy elsewhere. They had the guns they needed for hunting and wildlife control, and for self-protection against marauders (of many nations). They had a role in protecting the nation or at least their small part of it. That's some of the context that apparently our constipational lawyers and judges ignore.
NewMexGirl

Another Shooting

Post by NewMexGirl »

From the WaPo:

‘We’re seeing the fear’: Maine killings prompt spike in gun purchases
Gun stores in Maine opened for business despite a shelter-in-place order, and customers rushed to buy new weapons

Headline tomorrow::

Maine sees huge spike in “accidental” shooting injuries and death. Most of the victims are children.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”