Another Shooting

AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fa ... rcna122353
The family of the Army reservist accused of fatally shooting more than a dozen people in Lewiston, Maine, alerted police and military officials that he was experiencing an “acute” mental health episode before the Wednesday night massacre, the suspect’s sister-in-law said.

Robert Card, 40, a firearms instructor and longtime member of the Army Reserve, began to hear voices that were saying “horrible” things about him a couple of months ago when he was fitted for high-powered hearing aids, according to Katie Card, who is married to his brother.

“He was picking up voices that he had never heard,” she told NBC News. “His mind was twisting them around. He was humiliated by the things that he thought were being said.”

Katie Card said the family did their best to reassure Robert Card that the comments were not real, including by verifying with some of the people he claimed had made the remarks.

But, she said, “it turned into a manic belief.”

“He was just very set in his belief that everyone was against him all of a sudden,” she said.
All the more reason we need smart gun laws in place.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

Apparently the FBI is back at the suspect's home and on a bullhorn instructing someone to come out with their hands up. CNN has a reporter from the sidelines and airing it live.
Whatever4

Another Shooting

Post by Whatever4 »

Kendra wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:23 pm Apparently the FBI is back at the suspect's home and on a bullhorn instructing someone to come out with their hands up. CNN has a reporter from the sidelines and airing it live.
Local news says police are swarming the house. (The 4 stations have been wall-to-wall coverage since last night.)

BTW, the town of Bowdoin is pronounced “BO-dun”.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
RVInit

Another Shooting

Post by RVInit »

I am watching CNN. They have a bearcat and all the lights are off so don't know how many officers are there. They are saying FBI. At this house. They are trying to get him to come out, not sure how, of if, they know for sure he is there. They stopped talking, I think they aren' sure if he left the house and he's in the woods.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Whatever4

Another Shooting

Post by Whatever4 »

RVInit wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:41 pm I am watching CNN. They have a bearcat and all the lights are off so don't know how many officers are there. They are saying FBI. At this house. They are trying to get him to come out, not sure how, of if, they know for sure he is there. They stopped talking, I think they aren' sure if he left the house and he's in the woods.
Local reporter says 20 reporters, 9 LEO. Reporters are in various vehicles with lights out and camera lights off.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

Appreciate CNN has former FBI agent Josh Campbell on the sidelines with his input on what MIGHT be happening. I hope it doesn't last all night, I need some sleep after two days of insomnia :batting:
RVInit

Another Shooting

Post by RVInit »

So, this might be a nothingburger. LOL, wonder if Geraldo Rivera will walk out of the house and say...it's empty. :lol:
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:03 am In March, he liked a tweet by Trump that read, “Given the incredible rise of trans/non-binary mass shooters in the last few years… by far the largest group committing as a percentage of population… maybe, rather than talking about guns we should be talking about lunatics pushing their gender affirming bulls*** on our kids?”

:snippity: :snippity:
[/quote]

WTF? How many trans/non-binary mass shooters have we have? I can't imagine we have more from that demographic than from ANY OTHER demographic? More than cis-gender mass shooters? More than male mass shorters? I don't fucking think so. Gods what a moronic for anyone to say
RVInit

Another Shooting

Post by RVInit »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:08 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:03 am In March, he liked a tweet by Trump that read, “Given the incredible rise of trans/non-binary mass shooters in the last few years… by far the largest group committing as a percentage of population… maybe, rather than talking about guns we should be talking about lunatics pushing their gender affirming bulls*** on our kids?”

:snippity: :snippity:
WTF? How many trans/non-binary mass shooters have we have? I can't imagine we have more from that demographic than from ANY OTHER demographic? More than cis-gender mass shooters? More than male mass shorters? I don't fucking think so. Gods what a moronic for anyone to say
[/quote]
Moments after the assailant who killed six people at a Nashville private school was identified as transgender, a baseless narrative emerged: that there has been an incredible rise in transgender or nonbinary mass shooters in recent years.

The data tells a different story, according to gender and criminology experts. Mass casualty shootings perpetrated by someone identifying as trans or nonbinary are rare, and in fact, those groups are far more likely to be the victims of violence. Here’s a closer look at the facts.
https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-t ... 256570978c

--Jane Goodall
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Police have returned to the suspect's last known address, but officials say they don't know if he's there

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/lewist ... index.html
Law enforcement officials returned to the Lewiston shooting suspect's last known address on Thursday evening, according to CNN teams on the scene.

A spokesperson with the Maine Department of Public Safety, Shannon Moss, told CNN law enforcement is "not positive Robert Card is in this house," adding officials are "simply doing our due diligence."

Investigators detected something inside or near Card’s home, which has prompted the activity, a law enforcement official said. They don’t know what or who it is.

At least five law enforcement vehicles, including an armored vehicle, are on scene, CNN reports.

Card, 40, is facing an arrest warrant for eight counts of murder and should be considered armed and dangerous, police said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Multiple school districts in Maine will remain closed Friday as manhunt continues
From CNN’s Macie Goldfarb
Multiple school districts and colleges in southern Maine announced they will be closed Friday as the search continues for the suspect in two shootings that left 18 people dead and 13 injured in Lewiston.

Lewiston Public Schools announced it would continue to be closed Friday as a shelter-in-place order remains in effect for the city.

School departments in Auburn, Brunswick and Lisbon will also be closed on Friday. Auburn and Brunswick Schools said they plan to resume classes on Monday but with a two-hour delay to the start of the school day.

“This additional time will allow our staff to carefully prepare for conversations with our students and how we can best support them during this difficult time,” Brunswick School Department Superintendent Phil Potenziano said in the announcement.
Central Maine Community College also shared on Facebook that it would remain closed on Friday.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Another Shooting

Post by Foggy »

OMG, haven't they caught him yet?

I mean, I know Maine is rural, but c'mon!
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

I putting 50-50 odds on that he is dead.

If not dead, he is one clever dude for being delusional.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

A couple of months ago, an escaped convict managed to elude the police, swat teams, dogs, etc., for about ten days in eastern Pennsylvania. I'm familiar with that area. From what I'm hearing about this part of Maine, it's somewhat similar in population and topography. I don't think it was ever discussed here on the forum (could be wrong on that), but it made national news for two weeks.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/31/us/penns ... index.html
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

I’m sure she’s learned her lesson. /sarcasm
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sad-cafe

Another Shooting

Post by sad-cafe »

her press conference speech was pathetic
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Maine shootings: Idyllic Lewiston a ghost town as manhunt drags on

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canad ... press.coop
Driving the streets of Lewiston, Maine on Thursday, the small city resembled a ghost town.

The day after a gunman opened fire at two local establishments, killing 18 people, thousands of residents in the southern part of the state remained under shelter in place orders as police continued their manhunt for the suspect.

Lewiston's streets, which this time of year would usually be a postcard of New England in autumn - the leaves turned red and bright orange - were empty, its stores and businesses closed. Tidy clapboard homes painted blue and grey looked abandoned, the windows darkened and doors latched.

Halloween decorations - blow-up pumpkins and plastic skeletons - on balconies and lawns were reminders of normal daily life.

Every so often, a helicopter flew overhead, a sudden break in the quiet.

"I've never seen anything like this, ever," said longtime Lewiston resident Peter Fertesky, who had come to see the hordes of reporters clustered around the local hospital, Central Maine Medical Center, where officials said on Thursday afternoon 14 victims are receiving treatment.

"Even when the virus [Covid] was out, people were outside," he said.
Lani

Another Shooting

Post by Lani »

GOP wants us to have more guns. :vomit:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Maine officials will hold a news conference on the shooting rampage this morning

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/le ... index.html
Law enforcement officials will hold a news conference on the Lewiston shooting rampage and the search for suspect Robert Card at 10 a.m. ET Friday, said Shannon Moss from the Maine Department of Public Safety.

The news conference will take place at Lewiston City Hall.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Ongoing shelter-in-place orders cover nearly 700 square miles in Maine
As the search for Lewiston, Maine, shooting suspect Robert Card continues, shelter-in-place orders are in effect across nearly 700 square miles in the state of Maine.

The most recent alert calling for people in Androscoggin County and Northern Sagadahoc County remains in effect, the Maine Emergency Management Agency confirmed to CNN Friday morning.

The Sagadahoc order includes Bowdoin, Bowdoinham and Richmond, according to the police department in the county seat of Bath. It does not include Bath or Topsham, although many schools and government buildings in those communities will be closed Friday.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Investigators recover cell phone belonging to Maine shooting suspect and a note left behind
From CNN's Evan Perez

Investigators have recovered a cell phone that belonged to the Maine mass shooting suspect, as well as a note he left behind, a law enforcement official said.

Authorities have recovered a cell phone that belonged to the suspect, which adds to the challenges for investigators who routinely track cell phones to find people, the law enforcement official said. It’s unclear if he is carrying another phone unassociated with him.

The law enforcement official also said investigators found a note left behind, but it doesn’t explain a motive for the mass shootings.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Authorities are "days away" from completing investigations on Lewiston shooting rampage, Maine official says

Authorities are still "days away" from the completion of their investigations after Wednesday's shooting rampage in Lewiston, Maine, Maine Public Safety Commissioner Michael Sauschuck said at a news conference Friday.

He explained that the work of the investigators includes:

Going through the "530 plus tips and leads that have come in from the general public, from a number of communities and number of relationships"

Searching and processing the two shooting locations — Just-in-Time Recreation and Schemengees Bar & Grille: "Every one of those rounds that got fired need to be investigated. Every one of those cartridges that lays on the ground need to be collected," he said.

To "be respectful of the victims and the families that we are working with, and the process within we work, we have to take our time," Sauschuck explained.

"So I expect that we are still days away from completing those particular investigations, those particular crime scenes. So you will continue to see us at those locations without question," he noted.
Overnight, officers will continue to issue affidavits and search warrants and other documents "around any kind of digital media that we are hoping to attain or investigate," including phones, computers and video from any locations, he added.
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

CNN reporting that there's police activity at some farm/greenhouse in Lisbon. Someone heard what they thought was a gunshot, police arrived with long guns. Reporters have now been asked to backup off the property, but they've still got cameras on what they can film.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

As usual with something like this, I am not following closely. But their crime scenes are horror houses because of the weapon used. This is not somebody got shot, and there's some blood splatter. I don't know how many victims have been named at this point, but likely they are going to have to use DNA to identify bodies and/or what's left of them. Normally, in a small localized place, it's not that hard to figure out who the victims are. :crying:
roadscholar

Another Shooting

Post by roadscholar »

Figuring out what to do, I try to ignore ideas I call "Forlorn Hope" measures. In other words, coming up with a solution that could pass in Congress. If it'll be shot down, what's the point?

An Assault Weapons Ban? That means arguing for depriving responsible, law-abiding gun owners from buying the weapons. And arguing for a "Ban" is always tough.

Here's an idea which really should (I know, I know) be palatable to both parties:

Public weapons ownership has always been subject to a tiered structure. Want a full-auto machine gun? Lots of hoops to jump through, but it can be done. Ground-to-air missiles? Not allowed. Shotguns? Readily available, little hassle. Pistol? A more stringent process.

How about creating a new tier for Assault Weapons? Folks who go the extra mile in terms of assuring the public that you are not a threat can own them. No ban. But more stringent background checks, etc.

Reasonable? What say?
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”